Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A staff member in a 3 store today said they would have the 3G iPhone in September.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

gpf101 wrote: »
    A staff member in a 3 store today said they would have the 3G iPhone in September.

which store? did they say how?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh i very much doubt that.

i mean, if you've ever worked the Customer Service jobs you find that you are told about big changes like this one day or on the day before the store opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loyal2deroyal

wat does de 1GB data on de Tariff mean?

it means you get 1GB of email, web and such and such as part of the tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It means you can use 1GB of data. Every web page you view and every email you send/recieve uses part of this data allocation.

Cremo wrote: »
    tbh i very much doubt that.

i mean, if you've ever worked the Customer Service jobs you find that you are told about big changes like this one day or on the day before the store opens.

unless they have been given a company line? a few more people should ring and ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, hardly needs its own forum, this thread is already dying off..

Say that when July 11 comes around.

Say that when July 11 comes around.

certainly will, it didn't need it's own forum last time, so why this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Does anyone know what does it cost to terminate the O2 Contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

exclusively from O2 web site:mad: price and tariff
    Phone 3G will offer faster browsing speeds on the move over O2’s HSDPA network. It will be available in an 8GB model and a 16GB model. The 8GB iPhone 3G will cost just €49 on the €100 monthly iPhone tariff, €99 on the €65 tariff and €169 on the €45 tariff. The 16GB iPhone 3G will cost €129 on the €100 monthly tariff option, €169 on the €65 tariff and €229 on the €45 tariff. All iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's frustrating that they have maintained the 1gig data limit. With 3G, you'll use it way more. I was using about 220 to 250megs on EDGE. Similar to my usage pre and post broadband, I expect most people will get pretty close or over the 1gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

johnk123 wrote: »
    i will definitely be getting the iphone 3G and it will be on the €45 tariff. Only thing is I use text messaging a lot more than calls and this tariff only comes with 100 texts. But sure i just login to my o2 online thingy and use my free webtexts!!

yeah i'm thinkin the same. i'm gonna try and port JSMS (http://jsmsirl.sf.net/ )over to work on iPhone so we can all use our free O2 webtexts without even having to launch Safari.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

diarmy wrote: »
    I'd like to hear more about this rumor that 3 could be getting the iPhone. I too noticed no mention of exclusivity of distribution and noticed that Apple also deal with Orange in France (I think) which is also owned by Hutchinson who own 3 so it's conceivable that it could work on 3.

Only thing is, 3 has a dire network in Ireland with only cities and major towns being the focus of any decent network coverage. Rural Ireland suffers again.

I'm noticing a lot of anomosity in the past few days from people who wouldn't mainly talk much about phones over the whole O2 thing. The media are doing a reasonably good job of taking the O2 Ireland/UK comparison on board, but I'm not entirely sure that Danuta Grey and her mignons are taking note. I remember when she was on Matt Cooper the day the first iPhone was announced for Ireland and she talked her way out of the argument then so no doubt she'll make no changes between now and July.

Meanwhile, I'm going to look for info on how to go about unlocking it from the North when it goes on PAYG there. I'd rather pay full price up front than the sneaky monthly tarriffs that clock up to far more. As I said previously, over 800 euro in rental alone over 18 months plus the 45 for the phone!

I'm disgusted. As a long time Digifone / O2 customer, I'm ashamed of the network I often called the best in Ireland (when measured against the pr*cks in Vodafone!)

diarmy

I agree with you here, I was hoping to grab my 1st gen iphone last week when i was in Florida but they hadnt any, that night i was on boards.ie and saw that the new one was announced(i even asked the girl in apple when it was coming out and she sneakily smiled and said i know nothing about a new one! ha) I said I would hold out to see the price of an iphone 3G but I wouldnt move to 02 ever again. Looks like(according to the o2.co.uk that it will be available on prepay in england) I want to use it on vodafone! the price of billpay on 02 is mad and theres no way ill pay it! not for the crap service(my opinion) 02 provide:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

jamieh wrote: »
    Does anyone know what does it cost to terminate the O2 Contract?

whats the answer to this, do you have to buy it out in full?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

DRice wrote: »

Yes. An O2 or iPhone contract is the same as any other mobile phone contract regarding termination. You can however upgrade to the new iPhone at any stage in an iPhone contract and pay the same price for your new iPhone as a new sub would.

review in Sunday Times today.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/test_bench/article4124866.ece

Apple iPhone 3G – pay-as-you-go price to be confirmed
    Feature-packed but not perfect

The new iPhone 3G, which goes on sale on July 11 in 8GB and 16GB versions, looks as good and handles as smoothly as the original, and has the same bright, colourful 3.5in touchscreen. Of our six phones, the iPhone gave the best web-surfing experience – via 3G or wi-fi – and adds GPS to the already impressive maps feature. You can now “tag” photos with their location, although the 2Mp camera is basic and doesn’t shoot video. Contrary to many predictions, there is no front camera for 3G video calling, though, and the original model’s tricky text messaging remains. The virtual keypad is clumsy but it does have smart automatic error correction. The largest, heaviest (133g) phone here, it’s also the most usable and satisfying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

DRice wrote: »

If this is the case, you're looking at a pretty penny up front!

iPhone 3G - €169
    Contract - €45 euro per month for 18 months
    _________________________________________-
    Total: 169 + (45 x 18) = €979

Now, on the other hand, WHY CANT WE BUY A SIM FREE OPTION LIKE IN GERMANY??? It's only €500 odd euro there, and the Paddys could save nearly €500 and free themselves from the PAIN of a ****e contract?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

iPhone 3G - €169

Now, on the other hand, WHY CANT WE BUY A SIM FREE OPTION LIKE IN GERMANY??? It's only €500 odd euro there, and the Paddys could save nearly €500 and free themselves from the PAIN of a ****e contract?!

Probably precisely because of the sums you posted! O2 IRL were always one to try to squeeze every cent out of us, why should they stop now when they have and exclusive deal that says they can charge what they want? How many people have posted in this thread says 'I'm getting one, don't care about the cost'? If people will pay for the outrageous contract, why would O2 give them a chance to pay less?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

iPhone 3G - €169

How would you save €500? If you bought a Sim free version, you would still have to be on another network (Voda / Meteor) who would have their own tariffs similar to €45 and so you would still be paying a monthly bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How would you save €500? If you bought a Sim free version, you would still have to be on another network (Voda / Meteor) who would have their own tariffs similar to €45 and so you would still be paying a monthly bill
    but you could not go for a contract at all either? you wouldn't even have to go for pay as you go. you wouldn't even have to have a sim in it and still get worth out of the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Cremo wrote: »
    but you could not go for a contract at all either? you wouldn't even have to go for pay as you go. you wouldn't even have to have a sim in it and still get worth out of the iphone.

But if you got no contract or no sim in iphone is it not just and ipod then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

No it's an iphone with no SIM ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Pay as you go

or you may already have a contract with another provider that which is cheaper and will cost you to end early

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jester77 wrote:
    UK:

Monthly Charge £35.... £45.....£75
    EURO................€44.....€57....€95
    Minutes.............600.....1200..3000
    Texts................500.....500....500
    Unlimited Data....Yes......Yes....Yes

IRE:

Monthly Charge..€45.....€65....€100
    Minutes............175.....350.....700
    Texts...............100.....150.....250
    Data.................1GB....1GB.....1GB

Austria have released their pricing, so I'll add it for comparison, only 2 tariffs (classic & supreme), 24 month contract
    I also added the price of the phone for 8GB/16GB

AT:

Monthly Charge..€39........€55
    Minutes...........1000.......1000
    Texts................0*........1000
    Data**.............3GB........3GB
    Phone .........249/299.....199/249

*25c per sms
    ** 10c/MB over the limit

Germany's T-Mobile have released their pricing:

DE:

Monthly Charge..€29........€49.......€69........€89
    Minutes.............50.........100.......200.......1000
    Texts.................0..........40........150........300
    Data...............500MB......flat*.....flat**.....flat***
    Phone .........170/250....60/150....1/40.......1/20

*Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 300MB
    **Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 1GB
    ***Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 5GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

jester77 wrote: »
    Germany's T-Mobile have released their pricing:

DE:

Monthly Charge..€29........€49.......€69........€89
    Minutes.............50.........100.......200.......1000
    Texts.................0..........40........150........300
    Data...............500MB......flat*.....flat**.....flat***
    Phone .........170/250....60/150....1/40.......1/20

*Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 300MB
    **Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 1GB
    ***Speed is throttled to 64/16kbit/s after 5GB

That's a relatively good deal. If they bring out a 32GB version then I might just think about giving my soul to T-Mobile for 24 months.

carrotcake wrote: »
    That's a relatively good deal. If they bring out a 32GB version then I might just think about giving my soul to T-Mobile for 24 months.

looks like a terrible deal to me:confused:

copacetic wrote: »
    looks like a terrible deal to me:confused:
    The operative word here is relatively ;)

It appears to work out cheaper than getting an unlocked iPhone and then signing up for a contract with a German operater with a data package that would suit me. (500MB would probably do when I'm out and about.)

To put it into context, here's a sample of German data rates...

Vodafone Mobile Connect Volume L: 300MB, €19.95
    Vodafone Mobile Connect Flat: Unlimited, €34.95

T-Mobile web'n'walk M: 300MB, €19.95
    T-Mobile web'n'walk L: Unlimited, €34.95

O2 Internet-Pack-M: 200MB, €8.50
    O2 Internet-Pack-L: 5000MB, €21.25

...Probably of little interest to most here, but I've just noticed that T-Mobile Germany are also selling off the old iPhones here for €1, even on the cheapest tariff. I'll have to find out what the story is with upgrades after the 3G iPhone comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

carrotcake wrote: »

I think it's a rubbish deal, it's even worse than O2 but it's a typical German package. SMS are a joke here, 19c is the norm & international SMS are 39-49c. I have Relax 50 with the web n walk handy flat, 50 mins to all networks, flat festnetz and T-Mobile calls at the weekend, and the data package offers unlimited 3G. Works out at €25 and I use biteSMS for SMS, 6c worldwide. Works out a little better than the iPhone tarifs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement