Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

surprised at how bad the deals are in Germany. The way people go on about it you would think our deals are 10 times worse than anywhere else..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

How would you save €500? If you bought a Sim free version, you would still have to be on another network (Voda / Meteor) who would have their own tariffs similar to €45 and so you would still be paying a monthly bill

I understand what you mean, but to be honest, I'm coming from a perspective where I'd like to buy the iPhone for myself and then use my work SIM in it. That way I'm not begging the company to take on a completely ludacriously expensive tariff just so I have an iPhone.

Of course, I know a few people who find that using the iPhone on Meteor (with the free texts and calls) makes more sense than topping out your paltry 250 free texts on O2 (which by the way would easily be absorbed in a week!)

If O2 would come clean and just admit that they're dumping the losses they'll incur on UK customers getting a free iPhone on their Irish subsidiary's customers, then that'd be OK. But the way they're going about this it absolutely incredible. And I already know 26 people who will NOT be buying the iPhone here because they can get it cheaper elsewhere (i.e. on US holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

jester77 wrote: »
    I think it's a rubbish deal, it's even worse than O2 but it's a typical German package. SMS are a joke here, 19c is the norm & international SMS are 39-49c. I have Relax 50 with the web n walk handy flat, 50 mins to all networks, flat festnetz and T-Mobile calls at the weekend, and the data package offers unlimited 3G. Works out at €25 and I use biteSMS for SMS, 6c worldwide. Works out a little better than the iPhone tarifs.
    Yep, mobile costs in Germany are a joke alright. Those higher iPhone tariffs on T-Mobile aren't great, but the €29 one would do me. I mostly text, and o2.ie on the iPhone's browser will allow me to avoid the German cartel's text prices :)

No concrete details for iPhone upgrades just yet. It just says on the T-Mobile site that it'll be subject to a fee and contract extension. (Another two years, no doubt.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

copacetic wrote: »
    surprised at how bad the deals are in Germany. The way people go on about it you would think our deals are 10 times worse than anywhere else..

That's because "anywhere else" is usually UK which happens to be a very competitive country.

Those Irish packages, are they 12 or 18 month contracts and are you comparing with similar length contracts in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

diarmy wrote: »
    I understand what you mean, but to be honest, I'm coming from a perspective where I'd like to buy the iPhone for myself and then use my work SIM in it. That way I'm not begging the company to take on a completely ludacriously expensive tariff just so I have an iPhone.

Of course, I know a few people who find that using the iPhone on Meteor (with the free texts and calls) makes more sense than topping out your paltry 250 free texts on O2 (which by the way would easily be absorbed in a week!)

If O2 would come clean and just admit that they're dumping the losses they'll incur on UK customers getting a free iPhone on their Irish subsidiary's customers, then that'd be OK. But the way they're going about this it absolutely incredible. And I already know 26 people who will NOT be buying the iPhone here because they can get it cheaper elsewhere (i.e. on US holidays)

those people are going to have to sign a 2 year contract to AT&T in America and the phone WILL be activated instore before they leave, this is how they're combating people taking the phones abroad! HAving said that it'd be better buying out of an AT&T contract than giving your iphone contract to 02 Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Probably precisely because of the sums you posted! O2 IRL were always one to try to squeeze every cent out of us, why should they stop now when they have and exclusive deal that says they can charge what they want? How many people have posted in this thread says 'I'm getting one, don't care about the cost'? If people will pay for the outrageous contract, why would O2 give them a chance to pay less?

the reason ireland is a rip off is because of people who are rich and people who are stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

The only way we can tackle this O2 shambles, is to get as much media coverage about the rip off as possible. I'v read one or two articles in the paper recently about the iphone 3G and all of which briefly mentioned the whole "rip off republic" thing. WE need some newspaper to write a dedicated article on this raping of irish customers. I myself didn't think it was this bad until some people in this thread posted up clean and clear comparisons of irish VS. UK etc. So, anyone got an email address for the irish times??? lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    those people are going to have to sign a 2 year contract to AT&T in America and the phone WILL be activated instore before they leave, this is how they're combating people taking the phones abroad! HAving said that it'd be better buying out of an AT&T contract than giving your iphone contract to 02 Ireland!

Actually, it is still possible to purchase the new iPhone 3G and not activate it instore before you leave. See: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15541/

However, the caveat here is that you must activate it from home within 30 days or you pay a penalty to AT&T. I wonder if AT&T will be able to track people who have left the country? Since they're subsidizing the phone these days, I'm pretty sure they'll do everything in their power to avoid this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Apologies if this has been asked before but according to the O2 terms and conditions "You can change to another iPhone tariff a maximum of once per month" http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/iPhone+tariffs.

So what's to stop me buying the iPhone at top EUR100 tariff and switching to the cheapest tariff the following month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

you're still contracted to pay them 100 euro every month for 18 months in that case

• Advertisement

Gangsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

HERE HERE
    johnk123 wrote: »
    The only way we can tackle this O2 shambles, is to get as much media coverage about the rip off as possible. I'v read one or two articles in the paper recently about the iphone 3G and all of which briefly mentioned the whole "rip off republic" thing. WE need some newspaper to write a dedicated article on this raping of irish customers. I myself didn't think it was this bad until some people in this thread posted up clean and clear comparisons of irish VS. UK etc. So, anyone got an email address for the irish times??? lol :D

Well it's been said before that the UK is a much more dense market and due to economies of scale operators over there can generate more money from less investments.

Ireland will always pay a little more because of our small size and population dispersal.

And we are being ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

silvine wrote: »
    Well it's been said before that the UK is a much more dense market and due to economies of scale operators over there can generate more money from less investments.

Ireland will always pay a little more because of our small size and population dispersal.

And we are being ripped off!
    Germany has roughly the same population density as the UK, and you can see that their iPhone tariffs pale in comparison. So it's not as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I can understand people being angry with the networks, but maybe your anger should be directed towards Apple.

The simple thing would be for them to sell a sim free version of the iPhone. Nokia do this and so does every other phone maker.

Apple are greedy in that they still want a share of the network revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Gekko wrote: »
    I can understand people being angry with the networks, but maybe your anger should be directed towards Apple.

The simple thing would be for them to sell a sim free version of the iPhone. Nokia do this and so does every other phone maker.

Apple are greedy in that they still want a share of the network revenue.
    Those other phone makers don't sell them directly though,agents do it! It's 02 who are deciding to charge the amounts they are and tie people to contracts for over a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BUt if Apple sold sim free versions - O2 would have to offer better deals so people would want it on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Sorry, I know this is probably a stupid question to be asking, I'd say you're sick of answering questions like these but if I'm going to New York next month is it possible to buy the new iphone without a contract and use it on say Meteor as pay as you go, or would it have to be a 3G network such as three, and use it as pay as you go.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It would probably work but you can no longer buy iPhones without a contract. Buy an unlocked 2G iPhone on eBay, I'm sure they're going cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have a blackberry on 02 that gives me unlimited data for €20, if I were to buy a new 3g iphone and put my current sim into it whats the chances of o2 knowing i was using the iphone on my bb plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I have a blackberry on 02 that gives me unlimited data for €20, if I were to buy a new 3g iphone and put my current sim into it whats the chances of o2 knowing i was using the iphone on my bb plan?

I'm sure that iPhone will be blocked. So, it will check your card's IMSI or ICCID. If it will be different from data, which stored in the phone, the phone will reject it..
    So what's to stop me buying the iPhone at top EUR100 tariff and switching to the cheapest tariff the following month?
    For the first month you'll pay 100 euro tariff. There is no info how much tariff downgrade will cost. Don't think that O2 is stupid :) For sure U'll pay more money in result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

silvine wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but according to the O2 terms and conditions "You can change to another iPhone tariff a maximum of once per month" http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/iPhone+tariffs.

Normally, you can't move down tariffs for 6 months. So you'll save 120 on the phone, but end up paying and extra 275 over 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

According to iclarified.com

link
    Telecom Italia has revealed some of its first pricing options for the iPhone 3G.

Unlike most carriers, TIM subscribers will have the choice of pre-paid plans alongside contracts. The cost will be €499 for an 8GB iPhone, or €569 for a 16GB model. These prices are the same as Vodafone's pre-paid options, and both companies will launch on July 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

anyone noticed that the 1st gen iPhone seems to be removed from the O2 site? Or is it just me that cant find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dmn wrote: »
    anyone noticed that the 1st gen iPhone seems to be removed from the O2 site? Or is it just me that cant find it?

Just you. iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭molby14

is it possible to switch from a pay as you go to bill pay and keep your number?
    i have an 086 number with vodafone could i keep that number if i got a legit i phone off 02?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Yes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Hi all, was just over on travel forum, am going to States in October and had intended to get me a nice 3G iPhone, and was told that price was subject to 18month contract.

Will Apple be selling a SimFree or PAYG version in there stores at a higher price? I'm gutted about this, am gadget mad and this fits my bill. Was even checking the distance from Hotel to nearest Apple store (less than a mile).... How sad am I?

Any way if anyone knows if it will be possible to get without contract in States I would be grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

From Macrumors:

MobileToday.co.uk reports that Apple is actively working with O2 to allow customers to buy the 3G iPhone and sign up for service at Apple Retail stores in the UK.

With the adoption of the subsidized pricing, iPhone 3G customers will be required to sign up for service at the time of purchasing. MobileToday notes that Apple's retail staff is unfamiliar with the process of signing up customers onto subscription contracts and also have no means to run credit checks. O2 is said to be working closely with Apple to allow them to perform these tasks.

Meanwhile O2 confirmed that "prepay iPhones" are also to be sold at Apple retail, O2 and Carphone Warehouse. The unsubsidized prepay iPhones will not require a contract but are expected to cost around £350. Cost for a subsidized iPhone 3G from O2 ranges from free to £99 for the 8GB model and from free to £159 for the 16GB model depending on the service plan chosen. For reference, the original iPhone was priced at £269.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

coghlac3 wrote: »
    Any way if anyone knows if it will be possible to get without contract in States I would be grateful!

No, it looks like it'll be pretty impossible to get an Iphone without signing up to a contract. You can of course then head back to Ireland, breaking the contract but they'll charge you for doing so, $175 I believe.

Edit : This thread suggests that it may be possible to buy and activate later but you'll still need to sign up to AT&T.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement