Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Atari130XE

Lots of rumors that the $199 price is for the subsidized/contacted version:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/19/atandt-iphone-3g-199-299-pricing-policy/
    Anyone hear the sim-free price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Atari130XE wrote: »
    Lots of rumors that the $199 price is for the subsidized/contacted version:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/19/atandt-iphone-3g-199-299-pricing-policy/
    Anyone hear the sim-free price?

It's not a rumour, the iPhone is subsidised. O2 Ireland haven't given any indication that the phone will be sold as payg. If they do, we probably can expect prices of 499 & 549 as that's what being charged on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loyal2deroyal

if i go 4 de 45euro tarrif how much will it cost me to buy de phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I apologise if this is tedious for regualr posters here, but I've a family member heading over to Vegas in late July.

Can I take it from rumours here and apparent confirmation from the macrumours story that this family member will not be able to buy a simfree iphone 3g?

To avoid double posting (between here and the 1st gen iphone thread), will he still able to buy a 1st gen iphone from an apple/at&t store?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

connundrum wrote: »
    I apologise if this is tedious for regualr posters here, but I've a family member heading over to Vegas in late July.

I am not a regular poster here but I too will be in Vegas in July so I did some searching which makes me believe that :

a) It will be impossible to buy a sim-less Iphone2 from an Apple store as it was with the original Iphone.

b) You will have 30-days to break the AT&T contract that you'll be forced to sign costing you $175. You will then have to unlock this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ponster wrote: »
    I am not a regular poster here but I too will be in Vegas in July so I did some searching which makes me believe that :

a) It will be impossible to buy a sim-less Iphone2 from an Apple store as it was with the original Iphone.

b) You will have 30-days to break the AT&T contract that you'll be forced to sign costing you $175. You will then have to unlock this phone.

Wouldn't mind getting it on AT&T and pay the $175 for breaking the contract, take it as being $199 on an AT&T contract, break your contract for $175 and your total is approx $375 which by todays currency conversion is €239!!! I know you will have to unlock it but I dont see apple getting around the iphone turbo sim which is only about €10 online if you find the right seller. All in all I could see myself getting it this way!:);)take that 02:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Didn't Apple already get around the TurboSim with previous firmware updates for the original iPhone?

chrislad wrote: »
    Didn't Apple already get around the TurboSim with previous firmware updates for the original iPhone?

oh rite, sorry didnt know that they had but theres still going to be something to unlock it with!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind getting it on AT&T and pay the $175 for breaking the contract, take it as being $199 on an AT&T contract, break your contract for $175 and your total is approx $375 which by todays currency conversion is €239!!! I know you will have to unlock it but I dont see apple getting around the iphone turbo sim which is only about €10 online if you find the right seller. All in all I could see myself getting it this way!:);)take that 02:p

There may be a problem with that. I have seen people suggest that you would have to give back the Iphone once you break your contract and pay the fee. It would definitely be a case of reading the T&Cs before signing.

Sarn wrote: »
    There may be a problem with that. I have seen people suggest that you would have to give back the Iphone once you break your contract and pay the fee. It would definitely be a case of reading the T&Cs before signing.

Shoot!!! just when I thought I'd gotten around signing up to o2!

---->>> GONE TO READ TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON AT&T!(If their up yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

Hi,
    There seems to be a lot of iPhone bashing going on here but I just want to know peoples opinions. My car was broken into on Friday and my iPod and Sat Nav were stolen. I know, I shouldn't have left them in the car but too late now. I was going to buy a new iPod but then I heard about the new model iPhone. Seeing as it's an Ipod, phone and has gps would I be better off buying one instead of a new iPod and new Satnav?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hi,
    There seems to be a lot of iPhone bashing going on here but I just want to know peoples opinions. My car was broken into on Friday and my iPod and Sat Nav were stolen. I know, I shouldn't have left them in the car but too late now. I was going to buy a new iPod but then I heard about the new model iPhone. Seeing as it's an Ipod, phone and has gps would I be better off buying one instead of a new iPod and new Satnav?

yes..possibly. my advice is to wait a week or two after launch or until such time as us nerds here dissect it (i'll be selling them so i'll be giving it a good going over too) it also gives you a chance to see what "alternatives" to going with o2 for it as well.

Also, do some research on other devices, the iphone is not the only device that will do what you want....although if you're used to an ipod (especially a touch) the transition to iphone isnt that much of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind getting it on AT&T and pay the $175 for breaking the contract, take it as being $199 on an AT&T contract, break your contract for $175 and your total is approx $375 which by todays currency conversion is €239!!!

You'll also need some American friend with a good credit report to do the sign up, as there will be a standard credit check as you sign up in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Hey All,

Just wonderin' if anyone knows how the process will work in relation to activation if you pre-order on 02 ? Does the phone get activated before it's sent out to you...or do you need to use crappy tunes to activate it ? It says this on the site...

"The activation process for customers who sign up to iPhone tariffs is very simple, with the SIM being activated immediately in-store. Once at home, all customers then have to do is sync the device to their PC or Mac, download the latest version of iTunes, follow the easy to use activation steps and the device will be ready to use". Doesn't mention what happends if you buy on 02.ie ?

Also, release date is July 11th, so would the phone be delivered that day or what ?

Thanks for any replies !

J

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

O2 in the UK have details on their site about getting a pay-and-go 3G iPhone. No details yet as to price, but you will be able to order online or get it in O2 shops.

Newry will be pretty busy on July 11th I would imagine....;)

how much will the phone cost if i go for the 45euro tarrif?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Not too gone on this.

I was hoping for Mms and maybe a 3.2mp cam atleast. Wait another year I guess lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

how much will the phone cost if i go for the 45euro tarrif?

It will be available in an 8GB model and a 16GB model. The 8GB iPhone 3G will cost just €49 on the €100 monthly iPhone tariff, €99 on the €65 tariff and €169 on the €45 tariff. The 16GB iPhone 3G will cost €129 on the €100 monthly tariff option, €169 on the €65 tariff and €229 on the €45 tariff. All iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle.

when will i be able to book an iphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

iPhone 3G will be available exclusively from O2 Retail, O2.ie and Carphone Warehouse stores. It will be available to pre-order from July 1st.

Why dont you just go to the O2 website? Thats where I copied and pasted your replies from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I'm going to assume that this topic has already been touched on but this thread is 30+ pages long and although I have read some of it I cant ready it all (my boss would kill me :D)

I was curious for a while about the new 3G iPhone and today curiosity for the best of me. I went to their website and went looking to see if there was a price. Could not find one. I did find a number for their sales line so I called it. There is just a msg (repeating one) that tells you that the iPhone will be available from O2 stores of the Carphone Warehouse. Seeing as I don’t particularly want to sign up to a 18 month contract for a contract that would give me less than any other phone contract would with O2 I decided to call the Carphone Warehouse. They tell me that the iPhone cannot be bought contract free in Ireland. It can be any other place inc the UK but not in Ireland.

Can someone explain this to me? I cant buy an iPhone if I don’t want to sign myself up to an extended inferior contract with O2????? Anyone else think this is wrong?

If this is the case I'm not getting the iPhone and I am certainly never going to get anything else from O2

Can someone explain this to me? I cant buy an iPhone if I don’t want to sign myself up to an extended inferior contract with O2????? Anyone else think this is wrong?

If this is the case I'm not getting the iPhone and I am certainly never going to get anything else from O2

I think you should just read the thread :)

It's approx. €569 for the 16GB model in some European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

You would think at this stage that O2 would have got the finger out and put up some proper information on their website. Nothing has changed since the original announcement on the 10th except that they have apparently given up trying to sell 1st generation iPhones at those ridiculous prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Hi,
    I dont believe the iPhone 3G will be a SatNav device on it's own. It will have GPS and maps but I think you'll have to buy the nav features as an app from companies like TomTom.

decsramble wrote: »
    I dont believe the iPhone 3G will be a SatNav device on it's own. It will have GPS and maps but I think you'll have to buy the nav features as an app from companies like TomTom.

The basic GPS software that comes with the device will just show you where you are basically. It doesn't have 'turn-by-turn' direction-giving software which people would expect from a sat-nav. This I've read from several sites which have already pre-tested the Iphone G3 yet it says on the apple site...
    "Get directions to wherever from wherever. View turn-by-turn directions or watch your progress with live GPS tracking."

Tom-Tom say they already have software ready for the Iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Just looking for peoples opinions on something semi 3g iphone related.
    My iPhone had a fight with the ground and the ground won! Now as some reading here would realise I'm a bit lost without it having got used to it for a few months so I'm thinking of a s/h one. I would get one from O2 but I have a work phone and I used my workphone sim in my iPhone.
    Now what I'm wondering is two things;
    1. When the 3g version is released do we think there is going to be a glut of v1 iphones going s/h and is this inevitably going to produce some good prices for secondhand models cos alot of people who bought from O2 (or anywhere else I guess) will probably want to upgrade? or,
    2. With what I'm reading about buying the 3g iPhone and activation/signing contracts etc, does it mean the s/h v1 iPhones are going to become scarce because these will be the only iPhones that people would be able to use without contracts and with a carrier of their choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Simon201 wrote: »
    1. When the 3g version is released do we think there is going to be a glut of v1 iphones going s/h and is this inevitably going to produce some good prices for secondhand models cos alot of people who bought from O2 (or anywhere else I guess) will probably want to upgrade? or,
    2. With what I'm reading about buying the 3g iPhone and activation/signing contracts etc, does it mean the s/h v1 iPhones are going to become scarce because these will be the only iPhones that people would be able to use without contracts and with a carrier of their choice?

My guess is the 1st gen will hold some value until the 3g one can be jailbroken. The beta of the v2 firmware was unlocked within a matter of hours, so unless apple include some hardware lock also (unlikely), you'll see cheap 1st gen iphones on the market pretty quickly.

They're going for about 250 euro on adverts.ie right now, which isn't an unreasnoble price imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

The UK's pay as you go iPhone prices have been leaked here.

£370 (€470) for 8GB
    £470 (€595) for 16GB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone know if the 1G iphone will work with MobileMe while out and about? Or will it need to be in an area with wi-fi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

silvine wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 1G iphone will work with MobileMe while out and about? Or will it need to be in an area with wi-fi?

If you update it to 2.0 software it will be same to iPhone 3G just without the 3G and GPS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement