Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

What a joke O2 are, i have been a PAYG customer since digi-web and have been pretty happy with there service. I stoped myself from buying the old iphone about 10 times because i knew the 3g one would come out sooner or later. Now it is on its way and it seems to me that 02 are wetting there lips and trying to find the best way to rip us off. I am going to do my best to avoid 02 and try to import it and use it on another network, i would rather give my money to vodafone than get held at randsom by 02.

Plus i really do hope that somebody from 02 reads this thread. 25,000 views after 17 days and nobody has a good word to say about them. I am going to tell anybody who will listen about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

This was on the O2 UK website earlier today, but it has now vanished mysteriously and has been replaced with a message that does not mention prices or tarrif details any more:

iPhone 3G is coming soon for Pay & Go

Pay & Go customers can now enjoy all the great features of the iPhone without a monthly contract.

The new 3G 8GB iPhone for Pay & Go will be available for £299.99 and 16GB for £359.99. This also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 6 months after you activate your iPhone*.

At the end of the six months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you at the end of the six month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

You'll also be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.

* This offer is applicable to all new and upgrading customers who purchase an iPhone on Pay & Go until Dec 31st 2008. Unlimited data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, subject to excessive usage policy. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud or BT Openzone.

Pay & Go Tariffs for iPhone

You'll be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.

Minimum top-Up each month £10-£14 £15-£29 £30
    Favourite Place 500 mins to any UK landline or O2 mobile from a registered postcode 1000 mins to any UK landline or O2 mobile from a registered postcode Unlimited mins to any UK landline or O2 mobile from a registered postcode
    Text Anytime 300 UK texts 500 UK texts Unlimited UK texts
    Talkalotmore 50 UK evening and weekend mins 150 UK evening and weekend mins 300 UK evening and weekend mins
    O2 Unlimited Unlimited texts to O2 mobiles Unlimited calls and texts to O2 mobiles
    Your Country 100 minutes to call international landlines and mobiles from the UK 150 minutes to call international landlines and mobiles from the UK 200 minutes to call international landlines and mobiles from the UK

Standard calls made in the UK outside of your allowance cost from 5p per minute and UK text messages cost 10p each. Downloading 1MB of data in an EU country will cost £3 and the same amount of data in a non EU country will cost £6. View more details about call charges tariffs

If you buy the iPhone online at o2.co.uk, you can choose to buy either the Text Anytime or Favourite Place tariff. If you buy elsewhere you'll be set up to our Favourite Place tariff. If you prefer one of the other tariffs, you can easily change tariff once a month.

Each iPhone for Pay & Go also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 6 months after you activate your iPhone*. At the end of the six months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you at the end of the six month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

*This offer is applicable to all new and upgrading customers who purchase an iPhone on Pay & Go until Dec 31st 2008. Unlimited data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, subject to excessive usage policy. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud or BT Openzone. Terms apply.

Unlimited text and minutes are subject to an excessive usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I hope the 300 pounds price is correct and not the 370 pounds one, 300 sounds at least some bit reasonable.

Got a relative going to the states on July 12th, doesn't seem to be any hope of them picking up one from AT&T a lá iPhone 1g, no? Seems to be a lot tighter this time around, what with being subsidised... Will be interesting to see if anywhere will sell over the counter with the contact sign up later, that's all it would take...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Hi,
    In order to get an iPhone I'm switching from Vodafone to O2. I intend to pre-register on the 1st July. I'll also be porting my 087 number. Now here's the question:
    When I pre-register, when does the new account become active? Will I be in limbo until I get the iPhone? Will the pre-registering process kill my vodafone account, thus preventing me using any mobile service??

maybe 120_minutes, you out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Hi,
    In order to get an iPhone I'm switching from Vodafone to O2. I intend to pre-register on the 1st July. I'll also be porting my 087 number. Now here's the question:
    When I pre-register, when does the new account become active? Will I be in limbo until I get the iPhone? Will the pre-registering process kill my vodafone account, thus preventing me using any mobile service??

I'm doing the same thing (Meteor to O2) so if anyone can answer, please do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

o2 Ireland are seriously mugging their customers!
    My workmate in Belfast will get his 3G iPhone for free. Will get 3000 minutes, unlimited texts and downloads for equivalent of €100.

In RoI we gotta pay €49 then we'll get 700 minutes, 200 (?) texts and 1GB download for €100, all for 18 months. FECK OFF o2.

ITS A MAJOR RIP OFF.
    CALL o2, mail o2 before you sign up.

O2customerforum@o2.com

They've gotta reconsider the tariffs for RoI.
    AGAIN, ITS RIP OFF OF THE YEAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

its amusing hearing all the O2 bashing on this thread (in fact the forum in general)

i have had an o2 contract for the best part of 6/7 years, network has always been good, i renegotiate every 12months and tend to get what i beleive is a good deal (extra text/ call minutes/ free line rental for limited period etc)

i personally think if you're on payg, you pay more for calls, data etc and the network provider coudlnt care less about you (personal opinion) + i roam a lot and with a contract it doesnt cost me to take calls in the eu which you cant do on payg (i think).

back on topic...
    yes the cost of ALL handsets (not just iphone) are high in ireland, in UK their pretty much free as long as you sign a contract. its starting to happen over here but very slowly.

i got the 1st gen iphone over in the states last year for €300 which is the most i've ever paid for a device because i loved it. (i always said when apple stick a phone on the ipod only then would i get one - and they didnt dissapoint)

the 3g iphone didnt upgrade enough for me, i wanted a better camera with flash (not faster downloads) so i'm gonna keep my 1st gen and wait for version 3 next year (or maybe someone else will release a phone/mp3 player/camera that takes my fancy).

and i beleive that this is a diliberate ploy by apple not to give the device eveything in one go becasue then no one would buy the next 'updated' version so expect year on year 'updates'.

i would also add that currently its pointless having a 'legal' iphone - you cant install anything on it! (will wait for appstore) you need to jailbreak to enjoy fully which wont happen with the 3g version for... (dunno how long?)

if you can get the 1st gen at a knock down price, i'd recommend it !
    fundementally its the same engine as the new 3g version so unless faster downloads when out and about or GPS are a big draw for you you wont notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jimmychin wrote: »
    and i beleive that this is a diliberate ploy by apple not to give the device eveything in one go becasue then no one would buy the next 'updated' version so expect year on year 'updates'.

same can be said for any products and/or service tbh.

there is always something bigger/better/smaller in size down the line.

but for companies to do that, they needs the monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Just seen the £300 and £360 figures that mysteriously went on and then disappeared from the O2 UK website.

They sound pretty reasonable, so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Hi,

Pretty sure that when you pre register all it means is that they are putting a device aside for you (incase they sell out on launch day).

The porting and network connection won't actually take effect until you pay and take ownership of the iphone, likley to be 11/7 (so you stay on your existing network until then).

Gotta say the pricing this time around is attractive, for those comparing to 02 UK - your not comparing apples with apples, its a different marketplace.

I for one will be pre registering on 1/7 and getting one on 11/7 (am an existing 02 Billpay customer). . the EUR 49 tarriff plus a text addon.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Username! wrote: »
    I'm doing the same thing (Meteor to O2) so if anyone can answer, please do :)

Your number won't port over until you get the iPhone on July 11th (or after)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

its amusing hearing all the O2 bashing on this thread (in fact the forum in general)

i have had an o2 contract for the best part of 6/7 years, network has always been good, i renegotiate every 12months and tend to get what i beleive is a good deal (extra text/ call minutes/ free line rental for limited period etc)

i personally think if you're on payg, you pay more for calls, data etc and the network provider coudlnt care less about you (personal opinion) + i roam a lot and with a contract it doesnt cost me to take calls in the eu which you cant do on payg (i think).

back on topic...
    yes the cost of ALL handsets (not just iphone) are high in ireland, in UK their pretty much free as long as you sign a contract. its starting to happen over here but very slowly.

i got the 1st gen iphone over in the states last year for €300 which is the most i've ever paid for a device because i loved it. (i always said when apple stick a phone on the ipod only then would i get one - and they didnt dissapoint)

the 3g iphone didnt upgrade enough for me, i wanted a better camera with flash (not faster downloads) so i'm gonna keep my 1st gen and wait for version 3 next year (or maybe someone else will release a phone/mp3 player/camera that takes my fancy).

i would also add that currently its pointless having a 'legal' iphone - you cant install anything on it! (will wait for appstore) you need to jailbreak to enjoy fully which wont happen with the 3g version for... (dunno how long?)

fundementally its the same engine as the new 3g version so unless faster downloads when out and about or GPS are a big draw for you you wont notice the difference.

I'm the opposite! I just want it for faster internet. I have an N95 which is great for phone/gps/camera, but crap for internet. As things stand, I need a personal phone as I'm sick of combining the two, so it works out pretty good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

RnR wrote: »
    My workmate in Belfast will get his 3G iPhone for free. Will get 3000 minutes, unlimited texts and downloads for equivalent of €100.

In RoI we gotta pay €49 then we'll get 700 minutes, 200 (?) texts and 1GB download for €100, all for 18 months. FECK OFF o2.

ITS A MAJOR RIP OFF.

O2customerforum@o2.com

Right - so where do Vodafone, Meteor or Three have a similar tariff to that?
    That's right they don't either - so why aren't you whinging about them too?
    If you don't like it don't buy it - simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

ye I get 25 mb for €15 per month. that's the only add on for email and internet. how crap is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I've seen Canada's price plans and it looks like o2 are being generous with 1GB. Canada's cheapest package gives 250MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Yeah, people should actualy think for a second. 1GB on a mobile device is more than you think. Fine, yes if your commuting on a train everyday(like myself) and use the net to keep you busy then fine, thats fine, you will need a lot of data. Likewise, if you are a .Mac/Mobile Me/MS exchange user, you will also need data. But for the people who have wifi all around them most of the day, then they will hardly use the data. And, if you find yourself needing more than like 2 or 3GB of data...... you need something alot more powerful than a mobile phone when out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm on Meteor, not all that interested in the 3G. Would like something I can call, text, take photos and listen to music on. The fact that my iPod died today is further inspiration for this. I have wireless in my house and it would be cool to be able to surf/check mail from phone. But, as I said, not all that pushed about 3G.

Am I best enjoying the slashed price for old iPhone and buying one of them?

Its wose in sweden

http://www.ooz.nu/blog/?p=326

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

France's Orange iPhone offer is crap too... 500Mb cap on data and iPhone from 149€. They have opened it up to other price plans, but you only start getting a cheaper price for the phone if you pick a 3 hour plan or higher, else it's 199€ for the 8GB... THey are also not releasing it till the 17th
    http://iphone.orange.fr/#/Orange%20iPhone/

I must say like a few have said before, don't really get the whole O2 bashing that goes on on this part of the board. I haven't lived in this country all that long, but my own experience of O2 has been a good one so far, if I compare it to my perception of the other phone companies, and some of the criticism I have heard here has been if not ludicrous at least hard to understand... I have seen quite a few comments that say "oh, o2 are lazy b**tards, they knew about the release of the 3G from the start, they're idiots..." and so-on. Do the people making these comments actually have any REAL idea of what o2 knew or didn't know, do or didn't do, or are they just mouthing off in a general conspiracy theory mood? Having previously worked in a couple of large companies and even once worked with Apple on a project, I wouldn't be surprised if things were a whole lot more complicated than some people here seem to think, as Apple are sticklers for hush-up, and can be really tight on deadlines and giving over any useful information. Given that and all the usual organisational mess that goes into big projects in big companies everywhere, I honestly wouldn't venture a single comment about the inside workings of a company like o2 unless I really knew anything about it.

Anyway, back on subject, I bought my old iPhone back in may, finally, and of course I was peeved when the announcement came out so soon about the 3G, but hey, that's the way the world works. I KNOW that when I buy a new computer it will be virtually obsolete by the time I walk out of the shop, I'm not going to go back and ask for a refund or i'd never leave the shop. I don't think I'll upgrade to this new version, the only things that were bugging me seriously are either resolved with the 2.0 software or won't be in the 3G, so I'll just hang around a bit longer. It IS a great toy and a great tool, and I'm having great fun with it so far, so long live the iPhone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 philip_tyrrell@

TommyGun wrote: »
    ye I get 25 mb for €15 per month. that's the only add on for email and internet. how crap is that?

I get 250mb a month from O2 for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Sorry, but a 34 page thread is far too long to read through, so this may have been answered already.

I paid full-whack for a 16gb iPhone with O2 on the €45 a month tariff, and I'm pretty p1ssed to see their prices for the new version. I see that existing iPhone customers can upgrade. I switched to O2 from RTG Vodafone for the iPhone so I don't know much about O2's upgrade procedures. How much will upgrading cost me? I probably won't be bothered as I am happy enough with the existing device, but if I can get an upgraded version for nothing then I figure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

buying a first gen device especially an apple first gen device, is stuod unless you have money to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

RnR wrote: »

ITS A MAJOR RIP OFF.

O2customerforum@o2.com

:rolleyes:

They are a business, they charge what people will pay, nobody can blame O2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is the iphone exclusive to 02 in Ireland....

Love to see it on three as three have it in Hong Kong...

http://www.three.com.hk/website/pagelet/homepage/index.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

we are getting ripped off big time but its the same with all mobile contracts in ireland compared to the uk. you can hardly blame o2 for charging prices in relation to competition in the irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

So no update on o2 regarding this ripoff :(

I'd be happy with even just having unlimited data on the contract plans, biggest drawback for me is the 1gb cap.

To put it into perspective:

On 3 Pay for 40 euro I'd be getting
    Unlimited data (10gb, plus fair use policy, the plan for the prepaid sim card to use with the usb modem, still probaly works on on a phone)
    200 texts (5c cent per text)
    That would be 30euro

and well calls are a ripoff on three but I could just use voip via wifi on iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Does anyone know if the 3G version is going to compatible with the apple headphones that have a radio in them? (allowing you to listen to the radio as the device itself doesnt actually have one)

Does anyone know if the 3G version is going to compatible with the apple headphones that have a radio in them? (allowing you to listen to the radio as the device itself doesnt actually have one)
    Doesn't look like it :(
    If you look at the iPod Radio Remote on the Apple store it lists compatibility only for iPods and not iTouch or iPhone.
    Also here is a link to a discussion on this topic:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389684&highlight=radio+remote

ModMyiPhone didn't get it to work either:

http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/accessory-review/26417-ipod-radio-remote-iphone.html

This is all based on the current iPhone. With version 2.0 of the software this might all change, but none of us will know until the 11th.

• Advertisement

It's pre-register day!
    Who's going to make the jump/take the plunge?
    I'm moving from Vodafone to O2, hope it's not a mistake....:confused:
    Anyone else moving networks for the iPhone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement