Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Ordered mine today in the O2 Experience shop on Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

O2 website has been updated...not with much mind you and still no pre-order online !!

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chinese Mafia

The iPhone will be available for pre-order over the phone from Customer Care and on the website from next Monday they think. That coming from the horses mouth, the mod on the O2 forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

The iPhone will be available for pre-order over the phone from Customer Care and on the website from next Monday they think. That coming from the horses mouth, the mod on the O2 forums.

Thanks for the info m8 !

I still can't believe they didnt get their website sorted in time..what's that all about ??? Anyways, i think i'll take a trip to carphone warehouse in blanch tomorrow during lunch and pre-order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Any word on the new software for the 1st generation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

11th July.
    Pataman wrote: »
    Any word on the new software for the 1st generation?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I pre-ordered mine in Dundrum, just wrote down my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Guys, pardon the ignorance here. Will it be possible to purchase the 3G iphone Sim Free on say Expansys or other such sites after it's released?

Currently a TyTN II user, but am so taken with my 7 month old ipod touch that i will definitely be interested in a SIM Free iphone.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

In a word, no.
    It's only available if you sign up to a 18 month contract with O2 or other operator (if outside Ireland). Previously you could buy a iPhone in an Apple store in the US with out having to sign a contract with the carrier. This time, however, you must sign, or sign then pay to get out of the contract. Taking the second option here will result in a "sorry lad's, can't go out this year, I'm skint" sort of feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Ah Nuts!!! Thanks for reply anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

How to get a contract-free iPhone 3G for about €305:
    http://gizmodo.com/5021186/dont-buy-an-unlocked-iphone-from-att-just-cancel-a-new-contract
    One problem. AFAIK you need a US address to sign the contract. At least they will be on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

AT&T have announced that they will be selling it contract free for $599/$699 so that will be an option for picking it up in the US. They haven't said when this will be released, probably be some time after July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

jester77 wrote: »
    AT&T have announced that they will be selling it contract free for $599/$699 so that will be an option for picking it up in the US. They haven't said when this will be released, probably be some time after July.

Does anyone know if the UK O2 PAYG iPhone 3G sim-free or is it still locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jammi

All,

I'd hold off on this.

Previous threads are right.

Apple are renowned for "WOWING" the technology world every year at the WWDC conference they have with their latest release.

What they've done every year for the last number of years, is release new innovative software AND hardware.

What they've done this year, is upgraded the iphone on the software side.

I guarantee, the big money you are spending now on these new 3g iPhones, will make you sick, when they release a new hardware and software version of the iPhone next year.

If you sign up to O2 here to get one, in the long run over the contract period, you are paying well in excess of €1000.

Prices for the current iPhone, are going to plummet. I'd say get one of them on ebay, thats already cracked, save your money, and keep your wallet.

It'll do you for 1 year, until the bigger, better, badder version is released and then all those that have paid for the 3G version, will be looking back going..........."Why was I such an impulsive fool?????"

If this new release phone has dropped in price compared to the first release...........just think what you'll get for the next iPhone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But when they release the cheaper model with more features next year, they'll just release an even cheaper model with even more features the following year. It's the same with any technology, especially when it comes to Apple. I say, if you want it now, then get it now. There's no point waiting because you'll always be disappointed when the next model comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jammi wrote: »
    All,

I'd hold off on this.

Previous threads are right.

Apple are renowned for "WOWING" the technology world every year at the WWDC conference they have with their latest release.

What they've done every year for the last number of years, is release new innovative software AND hardware.

I guarantee, the big money you are spending now on these new 3g iPhones, will make you sick, when they release a new hardware and software version of the iPhone next year.

If you sign up to O2 here to get one, in the long run over the contract period, you are paying well in excess of €1000.

Prices for the current iPhone, are going to plummet. I'd say get one of them on ebay, thats already cracked, save your money, and keep your wallet.

It'll do you for 1 year, until the bigger, better, badder version is released and then all those that have paid for the 3G version, will be looking back going..........."Why was I such an impulsive fool?????"

If this new release phone has dropped in price compared to the first release...........just think what you'll get for the next iPhone!!

Sher why not wait five years, Imagine the technology then!!!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jammi wrote: »

Ermm, you do know that adding 3G and GPS isn't software right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I pre-ordered a 3G iPhone today.

I worked out my sums. This new iPhone €45 tariff will cost me €240 a year more. No big deal seen as i will get better use out of it than my current phone. And i won €1000 euro a few weeks ago and it is just sitting in my current a/c and i will never touch it. So i am laughing. That is my bill paid already.

But i am always cagey. I wanted to get the iPhone and i didn't want to get it.

I was going to buy it on the O2 online store but i reckoned buying it in a shop this time would be quicker seen as i am off on holidays to Spain the 19th of july ( a week after the release). A full week to play with it before i go, by buying it in a store. If i was not off on holidays so soon i may have waited for a few more weeks.

I drove by a Carphone Warehouse i looked in, i was wondering will i order one. No, i drove on.---- I went into an O2 store ( did not plan to, but i walked by it) looked around for a few minutes, they were busy i left.
    On my way home i decided to stop at the CarPhone Warehouse ( i passed 30 minutes ago) and i ordered it. I said to myself "f--- it, i will get one" --- jesus i hate parting with money, i always find when i buy something very stressful.

Anyway the man took my name and address and my phone number and that was it. Asked me was i bill pay ( yes) was i allowed to upgrade ( i am silver, so yes) and he told me he would ring me on monday or tuesday next week to confirm i am buying. He said orders are offically been taken next week. So that explains why the O2 online store has taken no orders yet. I was the 4th or 5th person he told me to book one.

I have the money, I will use it to its full potential and i will feel so good owning one. Yet i wonder why i am thinking of saying to the man next week 'cancel it'. Is it just me that gets stressed about parting with money or is there something in my brain telling me i am been taken for a ride here? ---- I don't see it.

sorry about the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

As I like to say to this whole 'Wait for the new one' debate.

Sure, you'd die waiting.

There was a point in waiting when the iPhone was released in March over here as it was already out for 8 months in another region. This time, it's a world wide release. Even if you get it now, YOU CAN UPGRADE when the new one hits in a year or so. I know it's 45e a month at least, but YOU GET MINUTES, TEXTS AND DATA USAGE for this. Yes, they are less competitive than what other networks have but they are better value than some other ones. Less moaning, more something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

O2 have finally updated the iPhone section of their site with some info on the new 3g iPhone.

Unsuprisingly the rates and inclusive texts and minutes are the exact same as for the old model.

There doesn't seem to be any indication of when the stores will open on the 11th. There's rumours that O2 shops in the UK may open as early as 7am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

chrislad wrote: »

Yes, they are less competitive than what other networks have but they are better value than some other ones. Less moaning, more something else!

Yeah, you are right. Good message, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I was supposed to be getting one on july 11th, but i'm going on holidays on the 8th so im gona have to wait until the end of july to get mine. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so lads

my missus is going to boston with work for a week mid july, is there anything she can do to buy one with no contract over there for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

has there not been any pre-launch reviews of the new iphone anywhere?
    i'm really interested to see if decent GPS navigation software is included, or if it is just a locator to your current position...

anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

i'm really interested to see if decent GPS navigation software is included, or if it is just a locator to your current position...

anyone know?

Give this a look, I had a look last night and the part you are interested in, is towards the end.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Is the 1 gig data plan enough?
    Does any other operator have an unlimited data plan?
    I see 3 give you 10 a gig dataplan for €20..

Maybe the best thing to do would be buy in the iphone as PAYG and unluck it ( its not going to take long) so it will work on any network. Then sign up to whoever has the best plan. Then sell the phone that you get with your plan to help pay for the €600 Iphone..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Finally bit the bullet and decided to go legit and pre-order it from O2.
    Maybe I just want thinking, the girl in the shop started to take my details and just as she came to the end she needed help with something. She called another guy to the desk and he informed me that I need to be eligible for an upgrade to sign up for the 3g iphone?
    So I aksed him as a existing customer there is no way I can get this phone until my upgrade is due? He politely told me no.
    I am so pissed off.
    so whats the alternative for an O2 customer who is not due an upgrade???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

Give this a look, I had a look last night and the part you are interested in, is towards the end.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

looks like it does not call out audio directions, but instead gives you step by step turn instructions on-screen. that's a bit sh1tty.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/maps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

sham69 wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and decided to go legit and pre-order it from O2.
    Maybe I just want thinking, the girl in the shop started to take my details and just as she came to the end she needed help with something. She called another guy to the desk and he informed me that I need to be eligible for an upgrade to sign up for the 3g iphone?
    So I aksed him as a existing customer there is no way I can get this phone until my upgrade is due? He politely told me no.
    I am so pissed off.
    so whats the alternative for an O2 customer who is not due an upgrade???

I was in the same situation - customer service and website said I wasn't eligible for an upgrade so dropped Daryll (he's a very helpful mod) over on the O2 customer forum a line. He looked into it and said I was definitely eligible for a Gold upgrade (bills have been big lately thanks to a visit to the USA!) and he updated their system accordingly. Pre-ordered on Monday:D

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

anyone know?

No navigation software will be included but TomTom apparenty have a SatNav program nearly ready that you will be able to purchase via the app store. I'm sure Garmin & Co. will follow suit. That is what iPhone 2.0 is about - getting you to buy software apps for your phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement