Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

jpfahy wrote: »
    No navigation software will be included but TomTom apparenty have a SatNav program nearly ready that you will be able to purchase via the app store.

do you have any idea what this might cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

do you have any idea what this might cost?

European maps for winmo cost €129, regional are €99, so it will probably be a similar price for the iphone version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

had a quick google around and found that it could cost about €100 - seems a little steep to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

sham69 wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and decided to go legit and pre-order it from O2.
    Maybe I just want thinking, the girl in the shop started to take my details and just as she came to the end she needed help with something. She called another guy to the desk and he informed me that I need to be eligible for an upgrade to sign up for the 3g iphone?
    So I aksed him as a existing customer there is no way I can get this phone until my upgrade is due? He politely told me no.
    I am so pissed off.
    so whats the alternative for an O2 customer who is not due an upgrade???

What?? Thats ridiculous. Luckily I'm outside my 12 month contract, so I'll simply cancel and rejoin.....I'm sure they'll save all the hassle and simply give it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

sham69 wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and decided to go legit and pre-order it from O2.
    Maybe I just want thinking, the girl in the shop started to take my details and just as she came to the end she needed help with something. She called another guy to the desk and he informed me that I need to be eligible for an upgrade to sign up for the 3g iphone?
    So I aksed him as a existing customer there is no way I can get this phone until my upgrade is due? He politely told me no.
    I am so pissed off.
    so whats the alternative for an O2 customer who is not due an upgrade???

I'm checking on the O2 forum as I'm an existing PM customer not due an upgrade...

[edit]

seems to be true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

in fairness it does say it on the website but thats not to say its right.
    I am just a bit p'd off that O2 have nothing in place for Bill customers who are not due an upgrade. Lets face it they are charging customers enough for the phone already with the 18 month contracts. Its pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Jammi wrote: »
    All,

I'd hold off on this.

Previous threads are right.

Apple are renowned for "WOWING" the technology world every year at the WWDC conference they have with their latest release.

What they've done every year for the last number of years, is release new innovative software AND hardware.

What they've done this year, is upgraded the iphone on the software side.

I guarantee, the big money you are spending now on these new 3g iPhones, will make you sick, when they release a new hardware and software version of the iPhone next year.

If you sign up to O2 here to get one, in the long run over the contract period, you are paying well in excess of €1000.

Prices for the current iPhone, are going to plummet. I'd say get one of them on ebay, thats already cracked, save your money, and keep your wallet.

It'll do you for 1 year, until the bigger, better, badder version is released and then all those that have paid for the 3G version, will be looking back going..........."Why was I such an impulsive fool?????"

If this new release phone has dropped in price compared to the first release...........just think what you'll get for the next iPhone!!

Lets wait for next year.......................EVERY year.

OK, well as all the preorders are finished now, I will wait till the 11th and ring 1909 and see what the story is. It's insane that we would have to cancel a contract (judging by what I see on this site, it involves 30 days of waiting and sending faxes) to switch to a new price plan when you can change to the other price plans with no hassle - just because the iphone price plan involves a different handset. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

It appears that O2 have sold all their new stock by preorder (more incompetence). Does anyone know if Carphone Warehouse have some left, or if they are getting theirs from O2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Seems to be alright, i cant belive that! Usually(open to correction) CPW have there own stock.

It appears that O2 have sold all their new stock by preorder (more incompetence). Does anyone know if Carphone Warehouse have some left, or if they are getting theirs from O2

• Advertisement

O2. Obviously grossly overestimated interest in iPhone 1st generation
    Then grossly underestimated interest in iPhone 2nd generation
    You just have to laugh at them, they couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up in a brewery
    But they are expert at getting your money, they won't mess up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

O2. Obviously grossly overestimated interest in iPhone 1st generation
    Then grossly underestimated interest in iPhone 2nd generation
    You just have to laugh at them, they couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up in a brewery
    But they are expert at getting your money, they won't mess up there!

I would have to agree on that first point totally. As for the second point, well taking your money is the goal of every buisness I would have thought. Anyway the stock amounts have not been confirmed yet by o2, I think they just panicked and stopped taking deposits so they could gather themeselves and start getting some real numbers as regards stock before going any further, so as to avoid dissapointing people who have handed over money. I would expect that to change once they are sure of what quantities they are getting. And pre-ordering will be an option again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

johnson1 wrote: »
    I would have to agree on that first point totally. As for the second point, well taking your money is the goal of every buisness I would have thought. Anyway the stock amounts have not been confirmed yet by o2, I think they just panicked and stopped taking deposits so they could gather themeselves and start getting some real numbers as regards stock before going any further, so as to avoid dissapointing people who have handed over money. I would expect that to change once they are sure of what quantities they are getting. And pre-ordering will be an option again.

You could well be right. . went into 2 CW stores this evening and both said they expect to have enough stock to satisfy demand on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

What if o2 did order the stock, but were told that "X amount is your allocation" by Apple. My thought on it would be, have just enough supply to meet demand and keep demand there. If everyone got it the first day, picture the queues, grummpy people and then other customers not looking to get an iphone, but having to wait ages. I like alot of others just hope to get it on launch day. If it is a case though that they will be sold out how long would it take to get more? I missed the first round of the first iphone release and was left waiting 2/3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irishcinemas

I was giving it serious consideration BUT >>>I've found out there is no radio on it ( I like to walk and listen to the radio on my current Sony Ericsson) but I've also learnt that if you open a website on it its costly as it opens regular websites unlike ones that have been adapted for mobile and open easily. Opening up mobile websites is the future I believe as only a small percentage will have this iphone----and I won't be one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

So can anybody recommend a work round for people that are PM but don't have an upgrade?

I always thought i'd get a 2nd gen iPhone when they finally came out with 3G...i just didn't think it would be 9months from the initial ones!

I upgraded in February to a K850i (Which is a great phone...and it'd want to be the upgrade was €300) not realising iPohne 3G was well on its way.

Anybody got any ideas? I kinda don't want to get another number on my a/c with all the hastle of telling people i've changed number.

???:confused:

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    So can anybody recommend a work round for people that are PM but don't have an upgrade?

I always thought i'd get a 2nd gen iPhone when they finally came out with 3G...i just didn't think it would be 9months from the initial ones!

I upgraded in February to a K850i (Which is a great phone...and it'd want to be the upgrade was €300) not realising iPohne 3G was well on its way.

Anybody got any ideas? I kinda don't want to get another number on my a/c with all the hastle of telling people i've changed number.

???:confused:

I'm in the same situation. think about it this way though - you have to pay the rest of your contract, whether you cancel it (and keep your number) or keep it (and lose your number, putting the new number on the iphone)

There HAS to be more of us in this situation. I can't believe I'm being forced to consider moving back to speakeasy and then signing up for an iphone. O2, don't you want my money???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think they realise people will pay through the nose to get an iphone. Personally I'd prefer the K850i. More features and has real buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Generalmiaow your totally right there, must be more of us in this boat. I've been with o2 for over 10 years on billpay. If they want i could give them my shirt for an iPhone 3g! :rolleyes:
    BostonB wrote: »
    I think they realise people will pay through the nose to get an iphone. Personally I'd prefer the K850i. More features and has real buttons.

Had to laugh there and give thanks...tis a brill phone alright but i get so much **** from friends and family over the buttons being so small!

Sony Ericsson FTW...whats a Know-key-ahh???

I still want an iPhone though...in fairness to o2 the prices aren't off the wall like the 1st gen iPhone. Thats probably down to Stevie J saying it was going to be 1/2 price though!!!

EDIT: WAU!!! Rang up o2 today to change over to their new Clear plans and mentioned that I was looking at getting an iPhone when my next upgrade came along, the nice lady said i had €400 to go to the next upgrade (Silver - The basic one i presume) and they'd meet me half way if i spent another €200 and give me the upgrade.

How nice, Good job o2 - Turns out years of loyal custom is still actually worth something these days...pity i still have to pay my bill though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

After much debate over the past few months I think I will just buy the 1st gen iphone. According to a reliable source, o2 have loads of them in stock still. There is only 7days to go til the 3g one is out and they will have to get rid of these quickly as Apple are not going to take them back. I can see a price slash next week sometime!

Yeah the new one may be a bit faster OS wise, but you wont notice it. With wifi at home and the new contract with bit buzz hotspots there is no real reason for 3g. How much time does one need to spend on the internet!

The 2g is slimmer and less wide than the 3g one

Dimensions
    2G: 115mm high, is 61mm wide and 11.6mm thick, weighs 135g.
    3G: 115.5mm high, 62.1mm wide and 12.3mm thick, weighs 133g.

Display
    2G: 480 x 320 3.5" multi-touch display.
    3G: 480 x 320 3.5" multi-touch display.

Storage
    2G: 8GB and 16GB.
    3G: 8GB and 16GB, with the latter available in both black and white.

Camera
    2G: 2.0-megapixel camera.
    3G: 2.0-megapixel camera, with geo-tagging and third-party application integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I might be thick but if O2 still have 1st Gens in stock, then those of you who are on contract with O2 but have no upgrade available then sign up for a 1st gen right now. Then next week upgrade to a 2nd Gen (obviously jailbreak / unlock and sell the 1st gen).

O2 let you crossgrade on 1st gen, right?
    O2 let you crossgrade from 1st Gen to 3G, right? (but not from another contract / handset).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anybody here a member of the O2 forums who feels like asking what is going to be happening with the 1st Gen iPhones?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Anybody here a member of the O2 forums who feels like asking what is going to be happening with the 1st Gen iPhones?
    I'll ask in the o2 forum.

Nothing has been mentioned yet from them.

cheerspal wrote: »
    How much time does one need to spend on the internet!

Having had a first gen phone since launch I can tell you that you really get used to having the internet with you. Then you begin to get frustrated that its so slow. The main reason I will be upgrading is to get faster internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus wrote: »
    so lads

my missus is going to boston with work for a week mid july, is there anything she can do to buy one with no contract over there for me?

anyone know?

Having had a first gen phone since launch I can tell you that you really get used to having the internet with you. Then you begin to get frustrated that its so slow. The main reason I will be upgrading is to get faster internet!

Im not bothered really. I have a 9 meg connection at home, Internet in work and bitbuzz hot spots. I think I can manage with just a gprs connection if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cyrus wrote: »
    anyone know?

It doesn't look like it. You will need to sign up for a contract when buying one. Requiring a US address and CC I believe.

There is the possibility of signing up for a contract and then paying the early termination fee. But this doesn't get around the fact that the you probably don't have a US address, US CC, and the fact the phone hasn't been unlocked/ jailbroken yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

If they need to clear them fast, i suggest that they sell the 1st gen overstock iphones on Pay as You Go. They would fly out the door on PAYG. Like in all fairness, if anyone buys a current iphone 2G on contract fro o2, they have serious issues......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

So just to clarify this.

I'm on bill pay with o2 and i'm not due an upgrade. Does that mean i can't switch to an iphone? If thats the case its the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement