Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So just to clarify this.

I'm on bill pay with o2 and i'm not due an upgrade. Does that mean i can't switch to an iphone? If thats the case its the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

why?

you have a contract, to get that contract they sold you a subsidised handset. why should you be allowed to move to the iphone? You wouldnt expect to move for any other phone? thats the idea of a 12 mth contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

johnk123 wrote: »
    If they need to clear them fast, i suggest that they sell the 1st gen overstock iphones on Pay as You Go. They would fly out the door on PAYG. Like in all fairness, if anyone buys a current iphone 2G on contract fro o2, they have serious issues......

Unfortunately what we would suggest and what o2 do are probably going to be two different things. You are right though if they started selling them as PAYG at the right price I would go buy one. Then wait for the new software to be jailbroken, upgrade my version to get the new functionality from the new release (ie app store, and exchnage support) and then jailbreak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

So just to clarify this.

I'm on bill pay with o2 and i'm not due an upgrade. Does that mean i can't switch to an iphone? If thats the case its the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

Yep isn't the idea that you have to "pay off" what was subsided on your current phone before they will give you another subsided phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Cyrus wrote: »
    why?

you have a contract, to get that contract they sold you a subsidised handset. why should you be allowed to move to the iphone? You wouldnt expect to move for any other phone? thats the idea of a 12 mth contract?

Well surely the majority of people who want one are in the same position?

They're forcing people to buy them off ebay.

but i dont see how its any different to any other new phone being launched?

When the n95 came out people didnt expect to be allowed break their contract to get one?

The iphone is just a phone same as any of the rest, either you are a new customer or you are due an upgrade, anyone else either needs to pay off a contract or buy one from ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

why?

I got no subsidised handset with my contract. I bought mine. People who moved from Speakeasy don't necessarily. If I wanted to, I could move to any other price plan _except_ the iPhone plan (and WITHOUT having to pay the extra few months). Remember that the iPhone plan subsides the iPhone handset, so O2 are still getting paid for everything.

I know where you're coming from but there should be an easier way than going through the hassle cancelling your contract. They simply need to make a provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

pay off a contract or buy one from ebay

Paying off a contract is one thing. Faxing them a breakup letter, waiting 30 days, moving to speakeasy and then signing up all over again is another matter.

Does anyone know if you can swap phone numbers between two contracts?

The iphone is just a phone same as any of the rest

Well not really. o2 are the only place that have them and its an 18 month contract with silly tariffs. I was grudgingly gonna sign up for one but when you stand back and take everything into consideration its just laughably expensive.

I'm happy to get one off ebay.

well im with 3 and im gonna get one sim free aswell, no way im signing up to one of those contracts :o

I suppose the 3g ones will be a lot harder to pick up sim free than the 1st gen.

• Advertisement

just for a few weeks, the hysteria will die down and they will be available

What would you say were lookin at? Around 400 smackers?

yep, i think its gonna be about that on o2uk pay as you go, so can just get one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The PAYG options won't be available for some time after plus they also have to unlocked first. This could take days or months!

Well according to a guy in the carphone warehouse you can get an iphone regardless of whether you're due an upgrade or not. Apparently apple have demanded this provision with o2.

He said that if you sign up for an iphone your existing contract with o2 is then void regardless of your upgrade status.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Did anyone get a call from Carphone Warehouse stating that the pre-order you and everyone else have made, is invalid. They are now apparently issuing the phones on a first come first served basis!

Anyone else think that the handling of this is a total pile of pooh? The people at head office in CWH are making all these stupid decisions then leaving the workers on the ground to deal with irate customers! :mad:

Make a plan, stick to the plan and execute the plan! what's so difficult?!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jester77 wrote: »
    The PAYG options won't be available for some time after plus they also have to unlocked first. This could take days or months!
    Unlocking will happen quite quickly. SDK 2 took less than 24 hours. iPhone software 2 should take about the same. The "new" one has a virtually identical chipset(except for 3g/GPS) as the first generation. The issue will be availability at first.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Yeah, I was down at the Carphone Warehouse there this morning. They are no longer taking pre-orders. Its all on a first come, first serve basis.

Looks like I'll be bringing my pitchfork with me next Friday, to fend off any would-be iphone consumers. I have endured a long wait for this phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

I was just down in Blanch and carphone warehouse just said the same thing to me....no pre-orders anymore...first come first served...only 700 available.

It does look very badly organised....but hey, it's Ireland...why should we expect any different ?

I'll be there with my gatling gun next Friday !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

irishj wrote: »
    It does look very badly organised....but hey, it's Ireland...why should we expect any different ?
    True !!
    irishj wrote: »
    I'll be there with my gatling gun next Friday !!! :D
    I'm going to take a less violent approach and just not wash for a week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I'm in the states next week and want to get the 3G iphone but I heard there is loads of new crap with AT&T now. Any way toget around it and just buy the phone outright with no contract or with a contract and just not paying it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    I'm in the states next week and want to get the 3G iphone but I heard there is loads of new crap with AT&T now. Any way toget around it and just buy the phone outright with no contract or with a contract and just not paying it :p
    Mug someone with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have family over there, so was thinking that if any of them are ineterested, I might tell them to cancel their current contract and take the contract from the iphone and sim etc, while I would take the iphone itself.

Everyones a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

anybody have any idea how hard it's going to be to get an iphone on Friday?

I'm getting one as my birthday present and would love to have it before heading away for the weekend. I was told me O2 today that they're not taking pre-orders because Apple can't guarantee the stock. Do you think that all O2/CW shops will have stock on Friday or only the main shops??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I just realised that I'll be away from the 10th to the 1st of August!! So, it looks like i'll have mine a month later than everyone else.......

At least by then, they'll have loads of stock. It's like everything really. Take for example, the launch of a new video game. Everyone want it for the 1st 2 weeks or so and no shops have it. By the 3rd week or so, the shops are flooded with them.

It'll be the same with this iphone. Hopefully anyway, coz i really want mine!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Does any one think the 1 gig data plan is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Samsung wrote: »
    Does any one think the 1 gig data plan is enough?

Personally i think it is enough for me anyway. Although you never really know until we get hands on with them. You see, with the inclusion of 3G, people(including myself) will be more likely to browse boards, check cinema listings etc etc etc while on the go. O2 should just havesaid something like 3GB or someting. Chances are that most people will only use a small bit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

1GB should be enough, especially since the iPhone has Wifi (and free access to Bitbuzz hotspots from 11th July). I asked on the O2 forums whether anyone ever went over the limit and no one said they did or had even heard of anyone going over the limit. The most I've ever used is about 100MB. The only people complaining about the limit are people who don't have iPhones!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

As I've said earlier, the 1GB data limit may be enough for the ordinary user, but anyone hoping to adopt this as an enterprise device with an Exchange ActiveSync link will be very sorely punished. I recently measured the annual mail traffic of people in our organization and it topped out at over 55GB per annum, which is clearly more than 1GB per month.

On the other hand, with the way things are at the moment with O2, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell more than 100 on Friday.

In Dublin yesterday I went to visit the O2 Experience Store in Dundrum to see what they had prepared for the most globally publicised launch of a mobile device in history, in Europe's largest shopping centre, and not one single solitary poster was on display.

They clearly either don't know the product, or more likely what I suspect is they've completely forgotten how to measure their customer's ever-changing desires.

Either way, they've made a major f*ck up and it's a shocking disgrace. As an O2 / Digifone customer since 1999, I'm ashamed. And probably not going to buy from O2, despite my desperate want to have one.

diarmy

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

diarmy wrote: »
    As I've said earlier, the 1GB data limit may be enough for the ordinary user, but anyone hoping to adopt this as an enterprise device with an Exchange ActiveSync link will be very sorely punished. I recently measured the annual mail traffic of people in our organization and it topped out at over 55GB per annum, which is clearly more than 1GB per month.

On the other hand, with the way things are at the moment with O2, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell more than 100 on Friday.

In Dublin yesterday I went to visit the O2 Experience Store in Dundrum to see what they had prepared for the most globally publicised launch of a mobile device in history, in Europe's largest shopping centre, and not one single solitary poster was on display.

They clearly either don't know the product, or more likely what I suspect is they've completely forgotten how to measure their customer's ever-changing desires.

Either way, they've made a major f*ck up and it's a shocking disgrace. As an O2 / Digifone customer since 1999, I'm ashamed. And probably not going to buy from O2, despite my desperate want to have one.

diarmy

they seem like 2 very random reasons not to buy an iphone?

1) I'm on exchange with activesync and use about 500MB a month absolute maximum, although don't travel too much so don't tend to download many attachments. Would be at the high end of usage too, most use a lot less than me.

2)Why would they bother making a bit stink about the launch? They will likely be sold out for the first few days.

Personally I'm going to wait and see what happens, tied to vodafone for work, don't like carrying two phones and no way I'll use it enough to justify the 45 a month.

If it becomes easy to get a simfree one then will look into that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement