Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

What a horrendous contract, o2 should be ashamed of themselves.

Lets compare it to the 8gig N95 offer on meteor roughly the same phones functionality wise and their minimum contracts.

8 gig N95 on Meteor
    Cost of phone: €169
    Cheapest contract per month €20
    Minimum contract, 12 months.

Total cost of phone for the length of the contract 20 x 12 + 169 =
    €400

8 gig 3G iPhone on O2
    Cost of Phone: €169
    Cheapest contract per month €45
    Minimum contract, 18 months.
    Total cost of phone for the length of the contract 45 x 18 + 169 =
    €979

I really couldn't justify paying that much money to Steve Jobs and o2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Had a look on the O2 Uk site this morning and found this
    "To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the iPhone 3G. You don't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract."

At least they are making some effort to look after existing customers.
    I emailed O2 Ireland this morning and told them this and told them that I will be cancelling my contract with them in November. I have had enough of being treated like dirt while they take take take.
    It looks like the ready to go option won't be for a few months aswell.

Also, seemingly someone went in to the O2 experience shop who was not due an upgrade and was able to pre-order with no problem. Read it on the O2 forum, its a real kick in the teeth when ur told no only for someone else to go in and be told yes, especially in the same branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

ronoc wrote: »

Lets compare it to the 8gig N95 offer on meteor roughly the same phones functionality wise and their minimum contracts.

8 gig N95 on Meteor

€400

8 gig 3G iPhone on O2
    €979

Sure but you only get 60 minutes and no data with that 20 quid meteor contract. Its useless to most people. You could easily end up spending more in the long run.

Sure but you only get 60 minutes and no data with that 20 quid meteor contract. Its useless to most people. You could easily end up spending more in the long run.

I know its flawed, its just a quick comparison. My point is with the 18 month contract and high minimum contract they are sidestepping their high unit cost. They got a critical hammering with the high cost of the last iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

ok, but meteor don't have 3G yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I know its flawed, its just a quick comparison. My point is with the 18 month contract and high minimum contract they are sidestepping their high unit cost. They got a critical hammering with the high cost of the last iPhone.

But how old is the 8GB N95 at this stage? When it was first launched, what was the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the contract for the early adopters?
    All tech becomes obsolete quickly. The 3G iPhone is new tech and is priced accordingly. In 6 months time, the cost of a contract with a 3G iPhone will probably be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you can sign up to a free trial and get free 3G and 50 euro off your bill/credit.

meteor go live with 3G in september.

how do you sign up to the 3G trial?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

8 gig N95 on Meteor

€400

8 gig 3G iPhone on O2
    €979

Thats is some useless ridiculous comparison!

The equivalent contract on meteor would be €40 a month for voice(200mins) + €30 a month for unlimited data (or if you thought you could get by €10 for 250MB).

So on meteor you would pay €25 a month more, every month, without any 3G service at the moment

walk into any meteor store.

probably best to do it in dublin as that's where they are concentrating the trial at the moment.

more info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055322150

• Advertisement

thanks cremo, i've posted a question on that thread about if the blanchardstown branch are offering this trial... i suppose it would be quicker to ring them..

copacetic wrote: »
    Thats is some useless ridiculous comparison!

The equivalent contract on meteor would be €40 a month for voice(200mins) + €30 a month for unlimited data (or if you thought you could get by €10 for 250MB).

So on meteor you would pay €25 a month more, every month, without any 3G service at the moment

I don't think so. Similar if not more features on the N95. I'm not critising the 3G iPhone its nice bit of kit. I'm bemoaning the fact they tie you into serfdom with that long and expensive contract.

There is no cheaper contracts on a shorter term in return for a more expensive handset. They went to great lengths to push the cheap apparent unit price but in reality they are probably bending you over a barrel with that contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

Did anyone get a call from Carphone Warehouse stating that the pre-order you and everyone else have made, is invalid. They are now apparently issuing the phones on a first come first served basis!

Anyone else think that the handling of this is a total pile of pooh? The people at head office in CWH are making all these stupid decisions then leaving the workers on the ground to deal with irate customers! :mad:

Make a plan, stick to the plan and execute the plan! what's so difficult?!?

You're right! When the phone was announced a few weeks ago, the O2.ie website said we could pre-order from July 1st, which never occurred!
    And you see it in the shops as well where there's very little advertisement or placement for the iphone from the very start.

God it's amazing how one of Ireland's most high-profile companies is now showing its dis-organisation and shortcomings!
    It would appear that Apple showed no interest in who carried the phone in Ireland (visual voicemail anyone?) and went with O2 because of the deal in other countries.

Baffling! How hard can it be to handle the launch of this!?

no, they went with o2 for the first iphone because o2 arguably have the best EDGE coverage in ireland.

I don't think so. Similar if not more features on the N95. I'm not critising the 3G iPhone its nice bit of kit. I'm bemoaning the fact they tie you into serfdom with that long and expensive contract.

There is no cheaper contracts on a shorter term in return for a more expensive handset. They went to great lengths to push the cheap apparent unit price but in reality they are probably bending you over a barrel with that contract.

but that is what I am saying, for those minutes and data the contract price is pretty good. much better than equivalent meteor price and vodafone price. vodafone is what, 49 a month for 200 mins + 10 for 500MB and €5 a MB after that!

The plan certainly doesn't suit me, but it is much better than vodafone or Meteor equivalent plans.

copacetic wrote: »
    but that is what I am saying, for those minutes and data the contract price is pretty good. much better than equivalent meteor price and vodafone price. vodafone is what, 49 a month for 200 mins + 10 for 500MB and €5 a MB after that!

The plan certainly doesn't suit me, but it is much better than vodafone or Meteor equivalent plans.

Its not good value if you don't use them! Thats my point. You don't have a choice in the matter if you want to buy it. It might suit some people but at the end of the day you have commited to 18 months of it! Truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

Just read this on Engadget. Would be extremely handy if O2 Ireland offered this, I would sign up now. I hope to be able to get one after work on Friday evening.

Its not good value if you don't use them! Thats my point. You don't have a choice in the matter if you want to buy it. It might suit some people but at the end of the day you have commited to 18 months of it! Truly shocking.

well we agree on one thing, I won't buy one for now as I won't use the data or minutes. Thats a valid argument, comparing the plan to meteor or vodafone isn't imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Any word on the Opening Hours of the O2 stores? Any possible midnight launches like the New Zealanders are getting? Might be a stupid question to ask, but I know you can keep your number switching between netoworks on Speakeasy, but does the same allowance apply for going from SpeakEasy to Bill Pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Then don't...... simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

icianom wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question to ask, but I know you can keep your number switching between netoworks on Speakeasy, but does the same allowance apply for going from SpeakEasy to Bill Pay?

Yes. You have to fill in a form they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Thanks, in the time I posted that I found the answer online too.

So any word on a midnight launch? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Yea, anyone know if Carphone WH or O2 are opening early on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

I've posted on the O2 forum asking if anyone knows about store opening hours. No reply yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Carphonewarehouse website is down atm

EDIT website back up and they are still showing first gen iphones @ 299 and 499. No mention of the new phone. WTF?

carphonewarehouse.co.uk have iPhone 3G information up and you can pre-order online for delivery on 11 July! Jesus what a country this is, no wonder we're going broke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Imagine how busy this thread is going to be for the first few weeks of our lives with the iphone 3G. Loads of usual questions "i cant get my email working" etc etc. I know the idea of an iphone dedicated sub-forum has been suggested before, but how about an iphone sticky or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

So I went to the 02 store in Dun Laoghaire this afternoon to enquire about stocks.. of course the sales person there didnt have a clue what availability would be like.. and then informed me that I would not be getting an iPhone on Friday anyway as they are not being released here until Saturday?? The 11th date that has been advertised, she told me, is the US release date.. (yeah thats funny- I thought it was a global date??)

So.. is she talking through her behind? Im not registered on the 02 forums to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Daryll - Sorry yes I did they will be open at the usual time of 9AM

Looks like i'll be late for work on Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anyone ever get an answer about they are doing with the left overs from the first version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

The key thing is that you CAN use them if you want. It's like paying €40 a month for 20Mb broadband and unlimited data with NTL, I know I won't use it to its full capacity, but I know I can if I need to. I've had an unlocked iphone since November on vodafone and am yet to have a bill under €45 so the new tariffs don't seem too expensive to me.
    People also need to stop trying to compare an 18 month contract against a 12 month one. I don't know about you, but when my contract runs out I usually look for another deal and tie myself to another contract anway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement