Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yes but the point is you can't look for another or better deal in 12 months, you've to wait another six. In a years time there will probably be better phones/contracts elsewhere but iPhone owners will be locked into an expensive O2 contract for another six.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

If people want an iPhone then just go with the contract, it's a premium. Like the way you pay more for products of a better quality. Some will go on about nokia and blackberry being better etc, but for me the biggest selling points are iTunes (All my music and videos are on it and i like iTunes, it's great if you arent stupid using it), the new Apps store and the touchscreen/os. The way I see it, the contracts minutes, data and texts to me is worth €30 a month, I don't mind footing the extra €15 a month for the iPhone. I'll get some serious use out of it.

I don't really care about the cost of the thing, or the price of the bill. I spend money every month on far more frivilous things and probably spend that much on credit as it is. For the contract I'll get a decent amount of calls, the texts are small but webtexting will help, and as foir the data? Well I'm not going to be doing seriously heavy surfing or downloading when im out and about. The most i'll use it for is checking email or getting info i need when I can't get to a computer. I, and I believe most people, can live with 1gb. Work, Home have Wifi aswell as all the Eircom/Bitbuzz hotspots around the place.

As for the complaints, yes they're valid but I can't see O2 changing their price plan structure. We'll just have to either live with it or buy ir over the boarder and hack it.

I'm locked into another three months with Three. Any suggestion as to how I can get out of it and get an iPhone??

How much is it per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wait a few weeks until you can get one on ebay and stay with 3

• Advertisement

EUR49 a month. I don't fancy giving the jokers at Three any more cash than I have too. I'll probably wait a few months or see what the prices on eBay are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I don't think the tariffs are too bad considering i'm paying roughly the same for a k800i with a gb data add on.

One thing i find disappointing is that the new iPhone doesn't allow laptop tethering apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Cyrus wrote: »
    wait a few weeks until you can get one on ebay and stay with 3

Is there a date for the uk pay as you go version yet? Even that will cost 500 euro.

I'm sure some will be available on ebay in a few weeks but i reckon it'll be crazy money. The world and his wife are gonna be on the hunt for one and you can't pick one up contractless as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Is there a date for the uk pay as you go version yet? Even that will cost 500 euro.

Christmas apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

If i go into sign up to a pay monthly account from a PAYG account on friday, what will i need? Photo ID ETC??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

i asked the very same in CPW last night. told me i just need passport and a recent utility bill in my name (recent being within past 3 months)

just hope they have a phone left by the time i get back from work

stupid jerb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

I dont have a bill with my name on it, i wonder would a bank statment be good enough?

You'll also need your bank account details for them to set up a direct debit, to you know, pay teh billz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I don't suppose there are any existing 1st gen iphone users who are due an upgrade and don't fancy getting the 3G phone?
    If anyone fancy's making a few quid give me a shout.
    Worth a shot if its not against the forum rules

forget that last reply.
    Decided to take a last shot on O2. Rang them and a lovely girl pushed my upgrade through even though I was a bit away from it, she could not have been nicer. Anyone in the same boat I would recomend that they ring customer service and tell them that you really really want the phone.
    Just have to find somewhere that has any stock left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

sham69 wrote: »
    forget that last reply.
    Decided to take a last shot on O2. Rang them and a lovely girl pushed my upgrade through even though I was a bit away from it, she could not have been nicer. Anyone in the same boat I would recomend that they ring customer service and tell them that you really really want the phone.
    Just have to find somewhere that has any stock left now.

What upgrade did you get?
    I spoke to O2 customer service last week and told them I was interested in €65 monthly tariff. The guy said that even with a gold or platinum upgrade it would still cost €169 for 16GB Model :(

Silver upgrade I think.
    Not too bothered about the price, the point I was making was they pushed my upgrade through.
    Whats the story with the upgrades, I thought it was the same for all?
    How do you find out how much the phone will cost on a silver upgrade.?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I started writing a post about my experience of ordering an iphone yesterday after reading through a bit of this thread but had to log off so here's my tale of O2's incompetence.
    Right so the boyfriend wants an iphone but has a company phone and in these times of recession and what not, thought it would be best not to ask them to pay for his upgrade and usage of a personal gadget etc. So it falls to me to add the iphone to my existing account as I have a contract which runs out in a couple of months and then the yoke is all mine!
    So that's the background. In I go to an O2 shop last week, armed with all my knowledge as well as driver's licence, wanting to pay a deposit on an iphone for collection on July 11. Sounds simple right? Oh no. I queue and queue, waiting ever so patiently as of course there was only one member of staff (this was 3.30 p.m. - not exactly lunchtime). Eventually, I get to speak to yer man behind the counter. He hasn't a fecking clue about anything to do with ordering a phone and adding it to my account. Can I go away please and come back in half an hour when another staff member "who knows all about this" will be back?
    So I hang around, duly return 30 minutes later and this famous colleague is indeed now on the premises but of course is helping another customer. Now I use the term 'helping' very loosely indeed. The poor woman was buying a phone and she clearly didn't understand how to use all the functions. The sales person couldn't have cared less. Anyway, it turned out that the Lemon who was 'helping' me only had to fill out a docket, give me a receipt for my deposit and I was done. No need for my waiting around at all.
    So the next problem was for some unknown reason, he couldn't give me a receipt for my 100 euro deposit so would I come back tomorrow? Grudgingly I say it'll have to be the day after tomorrow while not quite understanding what the latest problem is. In I go two days later and guess what, the chap who did my receipt called in sick yesterday, hasn't showed up today and isn't answering his phone. Oh and nobody knows where he left his paperwork. Cue - embarassing search of every nook and cranny of the shop resulting in "would you mind calling back in a little while?" Deja vu or what. I call back later and they have magically found the damn thing.
    If they try telling me they haven't a phone for me next week, there will be Holy war. I generally find O2 an absolute pain to deal with and absolutely impossible to get a hold of on the phone.
    Grrr rant over!! Very sorry for such a long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I started writing a post about my experience of ordering an iphone yesterday after reading through a bit of this thread but had to log off so here's my tale of O2's incompetence.
    Right so the boyfriend wants an iphone but has a company phone and in these times of recession and what not, thought it would be best not to ask them to pay for his upgrade and usage of a personal gadget etc. So it falls to me to add the iphone to my existing account as I have a contract which runs out in a couple of months and then the yoke is all mine!
    So that's the background. In I go to an O2 shop last week, armed with all my knowledge as well as driver's licence, wanting to pay a deposit on an iphone for collection on July 11. Sounds simple right? Oh no. I queue and queue, waiting ever so patiently as of course there was only one member of staff (this was 3.30 p.m. - not exactly lunchtime). Eventually, I get to speak to yer man behind the counter. He hasn't a fecking clue about anything to do with ordering a phone and adding it to my account. Can I go away please and come back in half an hour when another staff member "who knows all about this" will be back?
    So I hang around, duly return 30 minutes later and this famous colleague is indeed now on the premises but of course is helping another customer. Now I use the term 'helping' very loosely indeed. The poor woman was buying a phone and she clearly didn't understand how to use all the functions. The sales person couldn't have cared less. Anyway, it turned out that the Lemon who was 'helping' me only had to fill out a docket, give me a receipt for my deposit and I was done. No need for my waiting around at all.
    So the next problem was for some unknown reason, he couldn't give me a receipt for my 100 euro deposit so would I come back tomorrow? Grudgingly I say it'll have to be the day after tomorrow while not quite understanding what the latest problem is. In I go two days later and guess what, the chap who did my receipt called in sick yesterday, hasn't showed up today and isn't answering his phone. Oh and nobody knows where he left his paperwork. Cue - embarassing search of every nook and cranny of the shop resulting in "would you mind calling back in a little while?" Deja vu or what. I call back later and they have magically found the damn thing.
    If they try telling me they haven't a phone for me next week, there will be Holy war. I generally find O2 an absolute pain to deal with and absolutely impossible to get a hold of on the phone.
    Grrr rant over!! Very sorry for such a long post.

A good quality rant there - well put! :D

Getting that off your chest should help you, that is until you go about getting the phone. I eagerly await the next thrilling installment!

• Advertisement

Thrilled I've amused ye there :D will be sure to post my feedback around 10am next Friday so!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

icianom wrote: »
    Getting that off your chest should help you, that is until you go about getting the phone. I eagerly await the next thrilling installment!
    I think it calls for some sort of "Dilberty" Comic strip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Thrilled I've amused ye there :D will be sure to post my feedback around 10am next Friday so!

I hope to be finished in the Q by then?! but I'm not filled with confidence.

Yeah I'm more hopeful than optimistic tbh but God is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Not too shabby.

I've been keeping an eye on adverts.ie, for the prices of second-hand 1st gen iphones, since the announcement of the 3G iphone.

Today, a new record low was reached. 200 euro for an older iphone...
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=62430&cat=14

Good news for those of us in the market for a second-hand first gen iphone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

womoma wrote: »
    Not too shabby.

I've been keeping an eye on adverts.ie, for the prices of second-hand 1st gen iphones, since the announcement of the 3G iphone.

Today, a new record low was reached. 200 euro for an older iphone...
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=62430&cat=14

Good news for those of us in the market for a second-hand first gen iphone :D

In fairness that back of that phone was in bad shape. I sold mine last week for 280 (8gb) and my mate sold his (16gb) for 400 the other day. Both our phones were in pretty perfect condition.

Speaking of dodgy backs - I'm a tad worried that the back of the 3g might be a bit on the tacky, shiny, easily scratched (not to mention fat) side...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

so Carphone Warehouses are open at 9am on Friday? I've got mine preordered in Dundrum o2 store. Any word on stocks? Would I be safe getting one by 5pm on Friday afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Well the precident has been set. Second-hand iphone - 200 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have mine pre-ordered in CPW Grafton street but will still be there for about 8.30.
    Can't access boards at work cos they block it with websense:mad: but assuming
    I can access boards on my new iphone I'll post up my first impressions ASAP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement