Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Apparently the 3G iphone will have two small screws - maybe it was a prototype
    model??

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I hear that Ireland has the best stock of iPhones to meet demand, compared to other countries.

I feel sorry for the Canadians. 10 - 20 units per store. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i called one of the carphone warehouse branches yesterday and they told me that i could not pre-order, and that they were only getting in 5 units!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I thought the CPW were not honouring pre-orders and that it was first come first serve?
    Anybody know what time they are opening on Friday (sorry if this has been asked before)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

9am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

sham69 wrote: »
    I thought the CPW were not honouring pre-orders and that it was first come first serve?
    Anybody know what time they are opening on Friday (sorry if this has been asked before)

I hope this isn't true as the manager in Grafton StreetCPW (who I've found to be very good to deal with in the past) told me I was 2nd in line when I pre-ordered last Monday. Hopefully he would have texted me by know if it was 1st come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

I pre-ordered mine in a small little O2 store tucked away down the country as I'll be in that area, not only did they say that they'd hold it for me but they're doing so without having to pay deposit. I told them that I'd be in the area last week and they said they'd gladly hold one for me. I called again yesterday to see if it was too good to be true and they told me that they will still hold it and were amused at my paranoia, they were really nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Summary of Walt Mossberg's Review:

Battery worse than iPhone First Gen..
    New contract stipulations are a balls..
    ** repeat Apple's description of the product til video end! **

What a pro! :rolleyes: :D

PS - will be sticking with Good Ol' First Gen methinks!

The battery is only worse if you use 3G instead of wifi, and use nothing but it. Which I don't think everyone will be doing. That said this is my first iPhone so I have little choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

jcrowbar wrote: »
    I hear that Ireland has the best stock of iPhones to meet demand, compared to other countries.

I feel sorry for the Canadians. 10 - 20 units per store. Ouch.

I was in my local 02 store this morning and the nice lady told me that Ireland is getting 800 phones for the entire country. Her's is the largest store in the region and she has 87 people on the waiting list mostly looking for the 16GB Black version. She doesn't know how many she will be getting in, but I reckon there will be a lot of people disappointed.
    Oh, and the next order is not due in for another 4 weeks after Friday.

• Advertisement

I called one just there and the lady said she expects 30 of each type, and said that as far as she knew there were an awful lot more than 800 coming to Ireland and they would be getting White ones.

O2 Says they will have White Ones over on the O2 forums.

Quote:
    Hi Daryll,

Do you have any information that the white iPhone 3G 16GB will be available from O2 stores? Seems to be that won't be in O2 UK, what about over here?

Thanks
    We will have the White Version of the 16GB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

will carphone warehouse be selling them on friday too? Think there will be any problem getting one since i haven't preordered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Mossbergs review with video:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/17800/

Battery life is a worry, might stay with my 1st gen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

phreak wrote: »
    will carphone warehouse be selling them on friday too? Think there will be any problem getting one since i haven't preordered it?
    In a word, yes.

There are lot of conflicting reports about availability.

O2 UK have said they won't have any white ones and there are rumours that only 8GB black ones will be available initially.

If one assumes that the stock is sealed until Friday (and at this stage possibly not even in the store), then the employees working in the stores know about as much as we do.

I've one pre-ordered in Baggot Street (receipt which says 16GB black) but I've little confidence I'll get one on Friday until its in my hands.

It seems Apple are going down the Nintendo Wii route to stimulating demand, as I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten more stock for a device thats been on the cards for ages and is a less than radical development from the existing version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jabberfly

Hi guys , my brother works for o2 retail support and he said that most of the o2 stores will only be getting a max of 10 iphones, he said that stores like tullamore and naas are only getting three 8gb and one 16gb...so if you haven't pre-booked start queing early

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This is scaring me! I've booked one in Dundrum and have a receipt for a 16 gig black one - i guess it's safe to assume it'll be in?

Red Alert wrote: »
    This is scaring me! I've booked one in Dundrum and have a receipt for a 16 gig black one - i guess it's safe to assume it'll be in?
    Why is it safe to assume that, based on reading the last few pages?
    I'd imagine demand for the 8gb, particularly from early adopters will be very low, yet it seems this is the model that will make up most of the stock.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who if offered an 8gb would decline and wait (I'm still annoyed 32gb isn't available!).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've paid a deposit of 50 Euro - where do I stand on it if they turn around and say 'no phone' on friday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 der-irische

Just joined boards.ie after reading this thread (yes, I'm one of those guys)

I went into the big Patricks Street O2 store here in Cork last week to be told they weren't taking pre-orders anymore but hearing all these stories about 800 phones, people putting their deposits down, lack of 16GB models has me real spooked.

My plan was to line up at 7AM (store opens at 8, I was told) to try and guarantee two phones.

What are my odds on getting now d'ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Curious what tarrifs are ye singing up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 der-irische

I was going for either the 45€ tariff or else the 65€ tariff because it lowers the price of the 16GB to 169€ then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The contract is for 18mths and the iPhones warranty is 12mths yeah?

Red Alert wrote: »
    I've paid a deposit of 50 Euro - where do I stand on it if they turn around and say 'no phone' on friday morning?
    As have I, but nowhere does that guarantee when you'll get it.

They can't stop you getting a refund though.

Re tarriffs, I'll prob go for the 65euro one. The 1gb limit is a pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Ya but if it's not a guarantee then what is it? Why would one pre-order and pay a deposit on anything if one does not expect to get it when it becomes ready for sale. If I wasn't worried about when I got it then why would I pre-order it? You don't pre-book a flight only to turn up and hope there is a seat left...
    If I don't get one Friday even though I pre-booked it on the first day I will make a right nuisance of myself. If you annoy someone enough I'm sure they'll find one somewhere. We're gonna be giving them a mnimum of 900 bucks for this gadget...the least one can expect is a bit of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

Cerberus wrote: »
    Ya but if it's not a guarantee then what is it? Why would one pre-order and pay a deposit on anything if one does not expect to get it when it becomes ready for sale. If I wasn't worried about when I got it then why would I pre-order it? You don't pre-book a flight only to turn up and hope there is a seat left...
    If I don't get one Friday even though I pre-booked it on the first day I will make a right nuisance of myself. If you annoy someone enough I'm sure they'll find one somewhere. We're gonna be giving them a mnimum of 900 bucks for this gadget...the least one can expect is a bit of service.

The stock issue is created by apple to keep demand high it's not up to o2. If you have paid a deposit you would have preferance of course but if they don't have enough stock theirs not a whole lot they can do so making a nuisance of yourself wont get you anywhere. They'll find one from somewhere ? where exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

Do i have to be eligable for an upgrade to buy the new gen 3g Iphone on O2. ??? I upgraded to a n95 8gb 3months ago....?? thinking of getting an Iphone now it has 3g..

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I got a call from O2 to say that it'll be circa 2 weeks before stocks are available - was too late to pre-order and went on a "we'll take your name and call you" list.

Regarding readiness on July 11th - I know its a must-have gadget and am looking forward to getting one - but it's hardly a huge issue if demand exceeds stock .......... the way some of the people on this board are reacting to the possibility of not having the thing on Friday is plain nuts - get a life!!!

As for the comparison with flight tickets - not a runner. We all have phones today and there's not much, besides the joy of opening a new gadget, that'll be lost over the weekend! Chill out guys - it's not like you're not gonna eat for the next week!!!! Think big picture for a moment!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement