Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmmm.. but there's plenty of applications available to a jailbroken iTouch / iPhone in Installer which do the same thing (and more).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

So the carphone warehouse seems to be the only option for tomorrow.
    Are we to believe that they will only have a dozen or so phones available?
    Might aswell stroll into Henry street about 8 and see whats happening, Anybody here in the know, Will all branches in town have the same stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

No one knows! There are conflicting reports. the best thing to do is go and see. if you get one cool, if you don't....it's not the end of the world.

Try calling them, if they are selling them tomorrow morning at 9, then they should have some in storage by now???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

I was in CPW on Henry St Tuesday evening asking about the iPhone, guy was saying then that they had no word on how many units were coming but their usual delivery time was 11am. Unfortunately I don't think i can swing 'I missed the bus' for being that late in work... oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

just called CPW and they have 12 in stock already. available from 9am. but there is more 8gb that 16gb ones... and they have the 16gb in both white and black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Jesus guys - its just a lump of hardware! :) I can't understand this drive to be the first one on the block to have the latest toy (and pay dearly for it as well). O2 must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I just don't get it.
    My plan was to line up at 7AM (store opens at 8, I was told) to try and guarantee two phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jeez, who heres gonna line up at 7am for a phone????

i betcha within 2 weeks theirs gonna be hundreds of 3g iphones up on ebay sim free and all.
    Just wait and see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Just rang 02 in the pavillion in swords and they tell me that they only have 5 and that they are all pre booked.. gehy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

jeez, who heres gonna line up at 7am for a phone????

i betcha within 2 weeks theirs gonna be hundreds of 3g iphones up on ebay sim free and all.
    Just wait and see ;)

If the guy wants to line up for a phone at 7 then let him, its obviously what he is into.

When you get yours from ebay what plan are you going to sign up to?

Well I don't know about the other guy but I won't get an iphone. I made a decision a long (years) time ago to only buy sim free phones. Being locked into a long term contract with a phone that's faily restrictive in what I can do (add on applications, replacement battery etc) just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree - each to their own but I just don't get the "addiction"!
    Samsung wrote: »
    If the guy wants to line up for a phone at 7 then let him, its obviously what he is into.

When you get yours from ebay what plan are you going to sign up to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Some people queue for tickets to concerts, game consoles, sports match tickets etc. To each his own, no need to mock or degrade people who enjoy soemthing different to what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Red Alert wrote: »
    This is scaring me!

For the love of the almighty one - can we take a breath and get a life!!??

Things that should scare you:

- Living next door to Hannibal Lector
    - Gerry Adams becoming Taoiseach
    - Turning out the lights without checking under the bed!!

Things that definitely should NOT scare you:

- the possibility of the iphone not being available tomorrow!!!!

Elderlemon said something about deciding not to go with a contract because of problems loading other apps and software - what's that about? Can someone explain?:confused::confused:

Quote:
    elderlemon wrote: »
    I made a decision a long (years) time ago to only buy sim free phones. Being locked into a long term contract with a phone that's faily restrictive in what I can do (add on applications, replacement battery etc) just doesn't make sense to me.

Why are you so concerned about people caring about the iPhone? Nobody asked you to be? You don't see us storming into other threads lecturing people on what they should or shouldnt like.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Just got a call from O2 in Bray. I tried to preorder last week and they said they weren't taking any more deposits but would take my name and that I'm 8th on the list. They now tell me that there is a "global shortage", they are only getting enough for people who they took deposits off and it would be "a number of weeks" before they get any more.
    You would think after the disorganised flop that was the irish sale of the original iphone, they would have their **** together; apparently this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

The latest from the o2 website:

Limited initial stock available on July 11
    at O2 Retail Stores, Carphone Warehouse Stores and 02.ie

The new iPhone 3G will go on sale at 9am on Friday July 11th
    • Initial stock for launch is limited and will be sold on a first come first served basis.
    • We are working with Apple over the coming weeks to ensure a continuous flow of additional stock into Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

just called CPW and they have 12 in stock already. available from 9am. but there is more 8gb that 16gb ones... and they have the 16gb in both white and black.

Which branch was that? I am on the list at the Carphone Whorehouse in Northside, but might risk going to the city about 10:30am and wait for thier delivery!

My comments was on 1) the lack of real applications for the iphone and 2) the almost closed nature of the iphone platform where apple are going back to the bad old days where they decide what apps get onto their device etc.

Again each to their own but I don't want a handset that is that restrictive in terms of what I can do with it.

[QUOTE=lanod2407;56521774Elderlemon said something about deciding not to go with a contract because of problems loading other apps and software - what's that about? Can someone explain?:confused::confused:

Quote:[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

elderlemon wrote: »
    My comments was on 1) the lack of real applications for the iphone and 2) the almost closed nature of the iphone platform where apple are going back to the bad old days where they decide what apps get onto their device etc.

So - it's the iPhone itself rather than the fact that it's locked to O2 that's the issue??
    Is there anything more restrictive having a locked handset instead of unlocked? ........ besides the contract stuff!:rolleyes:

Noooo. I didn't mention O2. I'm talking about Apple and their restrictive prectices on keeping control over the handset. Almost every other handset manufacturer is moving towards a more open platform where apple is going the other direction.

Anyways. As I said each to their own. It may be for you buts its not for me.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    So - it's the iPhone itself rather than the fact that it's locked to O2 that's the issue??
    Is there anything more restrictive having a locked handset instead of unlocked? ........ besides the contract stuff!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

No iphone for me I pre ordered on july 1st in the o2 store grafton street
    and just got a phone call do i want the 8gb version, which is not really what I want and they have now told me it will be two weeks till they get enough 16 gb in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Which branch was that? I am on the list at the Carphone Whorehouse in Northside, but might risk going to the city about 10:30am and wait for thier delivery!

it was in kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

icianom wrote: »
    Some people queue for tickets to concerts, game consoles, sports match tickets etc. To each his own, no need to mock or degrade people who enjoy soemthing different to what you do.

I love gadgets but I can't understand queing outside a shop for one. It's not like a once in a lifetime thing like a concert or sports event. In time anyone who wants one willl get one.

silvine wrote: »
    I love gadgets but I can't understand queing outside a shop for one. It's not like a once in a lifetime thing like a concert or sports event. In time anyone who wants one willl get one.

Well done you, so you wont queue!
    Excellent
    Super

What cant you understand about it?
    Is the queuing?
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/queuing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 30knots

What cant you understand about it?
    How sad it is.. maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lads..

Any chance we can get on topic? It's getting all a bit daft in here!

30knots wrote: »
    How sad it is.. maybe

Surely only the people who queue and dont get one will be sad
    the people who queue and get one will be happy I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Just off the Phone to O2 Grafton Street. They have very limited stock of the 16GB and they have been in contact with the Preorders who will get one. So If you preordered a 16Gb from that store and haven't been called it's not looking good.

Plenty of 8gb's though.

jarain wrote: »
    Just off the Phone to O2 Grafton Street. They have very limited stock of the 16GB and they have been in contact with the Preorders who will get one. So If you preordered a 16Gb from that store and haven't been called it's not looking good.

Plenty of 8gb's though.

They called me and told me i can have an 8gb which was nice of them :mad:

I may try CPW when it opens tomorrow morning as they are working on a first come first served basis they told me on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Will software 2.0 be released at midnight will it be 9am along with the new phone.

• Advertisement

It's out now, go to macrumors.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement