Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

is there any sound on it or is it just my laptop? cause my music is playing fine

here are the pix of the new iphones from the back - now updated on apple.com/ie/

specs_colors20080609.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

Don't know a bunch about the unlocking carry on and all that but with the new one coming out with 3g and GPS plus the new price tag i reckon i might stump up for in a few weeks so just a few Qs for those with iPhone knowledge

1- What do ya reckon lads when it comes out will it be unlocked the same as the old one was???

2- will the new price points be reflected on places like ebay so where a sim free 8gb iphone goes for on average 380 now can we expect the new 8gb one to go for 200

3- i'll most likely be using it on Vodafone what functionality will i lose, 3g should work but will the GPS???

4- any other probs you could forsee for someone using on another network other than O2

as far as i know the front is the same on both models...namely its black with silver outline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

It will still cost money to use the gps functionality. Google maps info would have to be downloaded from the internet which would cost a fair bit of money in data charges.

The camera is still the same, which is a bit annoying.

meh, I'm not too pushed

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Apple press release re date of iPhone release in Ireland and UK. No mention of price or other conditions though...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    Can anyone find pics of the front of the white iPhone 3g online? There doesnt seem to be any :confused:
    it's the same, as the black. it's black on the front white on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    Can anyone find pics of the front of the white iPhone 3g online? There doesnt seem to be any :confused:

They've the exact same front.

Don't know a bunch about the unlocking carry on and all that but with the new one coming out with 3g and GPS plus the new price tag i reckon i might stump up for in a few weeks so just a few Qs for those with iPhone knowledge

1- What do ya reckon lads when it comes out will it be unlocked the same as the old one was???

I'm guessing that it shouldn't take too long before someone cracks the unlock on it. Just like on the original.
    2- will the new price points be reflected on places like ebay so where a sim free 8gb iphone goes for on average 380 now can we expect the new 8gb one to go for 200

That is very unpredictable , who knows? One thing is for sure, the price of iPhone should come down on sites like ebay because they will be available for less than the original in a lot more countries from July.
    3- i'll most likely be using it on Vodafone what functionality will i lose, 3g should work but will the GPS???

GPS is not network dependent. A-GPS which is the form that the iphone will be using CAN, if available, use the network cell towers as well as the satellites to locate someone.
    4- any other probs you could forsee for someone using on another network other than O2

Again this is unpredictable, but at the moment I can only think that getting the settings for 3G should be the only problem, and I don't imagine that being much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My understanding is that Apple has stopped the revenue share nonsense on the data plan, in conjunction with allowing a subsidy on the price. Apple has effectively conceded that their original business model didn't work. I would also speculate that this is why they've managed to line up a lot more countries.

Anyways, we'll see what O2 has in store for us. It hasn't exactly been a roaring success around here so they will hopefully cook up something a bit more competitive than the original offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

theres no mms on it but a friend of mine had the first gen and got a third party app to send mms's. couldnt receive them though. also no video recording capability??? think ill stick with my dvd quality n95 for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

swingking wrote: »
    It will still cost money to use the gps functionality. Google maps info would have to be downloaded from the internet which would cost a fair bit of money in data charges.

Is that really the case?? Are they not doing pre-loaded maps??

Apple are starting to get on my nerves... No mention of A2DP, MMS... Still a cack camera. U don't get a dock with it, only a charger. And if I need to have 3G to use the GPS thats the icing on the cake.

Next years iPhone. MMS, 3mp camera, A2DP and a USB cable instead of a charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Have to admit the addition of 3G and GPS at a reasonable pricepoint makes this an attractive device.
    (It's proper GPS i take it btw?)

What length of contract do those prices refer to though?
    3-4 years? :p Let's hope not.

And they haven't really ironed out the myriad other restrictive bugbears/options for 3rd party expandability of the first one i gather.
    Or have they??
    Hmmm.

Have to admit though, it's a compelling device what with the thinness, UI and new features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Have to admit the addition of 3G and GPS at a reasonable pricepoint makes this an attractive device.
    (It's proper GPS i take it btw?)

What length of contract do those prices refer to though?
    3-4 years? :p Let's hope not.

And they haven't really ironed out the myriad other restrictive bugbears/options for 3rd party expandability of the first one i gather.
    Or have they??
    Hmmm.

Have to admit though, it's a compelling device what with the thinness, UI and new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think ill stick with my dvd quality n95 for the minute.

the above quote matches the first word in your username.

i have used a n95 and while it has a great camera, it is no where near dvd quality for video.

i'm sorry, but, no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 30knots

That equates to around €127 for the 8GB model which will have a black backing
    and €191 for the 16GB model which will have a white backing.

€127 for an iphone:eek:..... can you imagine the tariff o2 would throw on that.. 20 Anytime minutes included, 4 free texts and 6 mb data ;)

Man theres no way o2 will allow those prices, they'll prob find some way to double that and then charge you for receiving calls.

Hope im wrong but i bet ill be ringing my sister in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

That's a fairly stunning price point to drop to. No matter what the "being irish" tax adds to it, it will most likely be all over the place by Christmas at that kind of price. Fair play to Apple for completely changing their business model mid-stream like that, getting more of these into people's hands is really going to press the competition to start doing some innovation of their own. In the end, we should all win.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

The UK O2 site has a banner on the top of the main page advertising it, and says:

"Come back tomorrow to find out more"...

Pricing and tariffs surely??

• Advertisement

art wrote: »
    That's a fairly stunning price point to drop to. No matter what the "being irish" tax adds to it, it will most likely be all over the place by Christmas at that kind of price. Fair play to Apple for completely changing their business model mid-stream like that, getting more of these into people's hands is really going to press the competition to start doing some innovation of their own. In the end, we should all win.

I don't think Apple really had a choice, let's face it this is a major climb down for Apple. Whereas before they were getting a cut of the monthly revenue as well as the profit on the phone - a situation unique to the iPhone - now they find themselves in the exact same position as other manufacturers.

At least they have somewhat more control over where the products end up. The days of getting an iphone in America and unlocking it are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

was there any mention of copy and paste in the new software update

swingking wrote: »
    was there any mention of copy and paste in the new software update

Not included. You have to wonder what goes on in Cupertino sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm curious, because it looks like the iPhone might be becomming affordable!

What kinda price point will we be seeing jailbroken 3G iPhones for come July/August?

Also - what kinda price point will we be seeing older iPhones go for? Will people be rushing out to get the new iphones and flog off their old ones?

I just had a look on adverts.ie and people are still asking for 300-400 for iphones. Will that change in the coming weeks I wonder?

Supply/demand etc I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Don't think copy and paste made it in - nor MMS either.

Really impressive price point - hopefully it'll make the operators shave some off the price of the new Nokias :)

Well done Apple.

womoma wrote: »
    I'm curious, because it looks like the iPhone might be becomming affordable!

What kinda price point will we be seeing jailbroken 3G iPhones for come July/August?

Also - what kinda price point will we be seeing older iPhones go for? Will people be rushing out to get the new iphones and flog off their old ones?

I just had a look on adverts.ie and people are still asking for 300-400 for iphones. Will that change in the coming weeks I wonder?

Supply/demand etc I suppose.

I don't think we'll see many jailbroken iphones from America anymore. AT&T have confirmed that all phones will have to be activated inside their stores from now on, there will be no more online sales. Furthermore it's not actually cheaper for Americans- they now face more expensive tariffs that more than offset any initial saving.

So I might be waiting a bit longer for my 100 euro second-hand 1st gen iPhone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

More nonsense from Apple, LG are streets ahead of them when it comes to mobile phones.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Furthermore it's not actually cheaper for Americans- they now face more expensive tariffs that more than offset any initial saving.

It is only $10 a month more at $30, so it would only work out at what $20 more over a 2 year contract? Assuming they bought phone early on.

Besides AT&T are just putting it on the same tariffs as every other phone they carry. Will O2 do the same here?

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    More nonsense from Apple, LG are streets ahead of them when it comes to mobile phones.

pffft:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement