Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

Yeah...seems to be apple's servers, prob all the yanks are up now and busy activating....or trying too !! :D

Here's some info from Engadget:

10:21AM ET: We're hearing that Apple's activation servers are having intermittent problems, with lines coming to halt at both Apple and AT&T stores, and that some carrier stores worldwide are sending people home because they can't activate phones. Stranger still, some people are being told that they can "activate at home using iTunes." We're getting more info as fast as we can, we'll let you know.

Check out some pictures from the queues in the U.S......mental !!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/11/iphone-3g-international-launch-lineblog/

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

mandy_111 wrote: »
    What would you do?

Take an 8Gb iPhone today or have guaranteed delivery of a 16Gb on Monday afternoon?

I know I should wait but it's so hard to resist having it today!

:confused::confused::confused:

How did you secure guaranteed delivery on Monday? Was it through O2 online? I only ask as I was the cut off point in my local O2 store for a 16Gb - the person before me got the last one :(

O2 customer care said (a few minutes ago) that the next batch is already on its way and should be in stores by Friday at the latest... We'll see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bah! After finally getting it after being in the O2 store for 90 minutes, Apple activation is down!

Ironically, it was much easier to get my first iPhone. 5 minutes in Apple Store, 2 minutes activation online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Got a nice call from the O2 store to tell me they sold out completly. Carephone warehouse were also sold out, and they only had 8 handsets.

This actually surprised me. When the original phone came out, a lot of people bitched and whined because they cost so much, then they bitched and whined about O2 for the meagre amount of minutes and texts, and lack of an unlimited data plan. Lots of people bitched and whined because the contract term was 18 months instead of 12.

And yet, as soon as the 3G version comes out at a lower cost, people are queuing outside Carphone Warehouse at 8am, and selling their grannies to get one :D

So now because some lucky feckers preordered before me with O2, I sit and wait, patiently for more stock to come in, for which there is no date set. O2 have told me a week/week-half, and Carephone Warehouse have said Monday next.

In the mean time, Im curious to know what everyone else thinks of the 3G version. Besides the 3G and GPS are there any other notable improvements? I actually prefer the metal casing on the first-gen iPhone over the plastic back on the new one. Can the 3G function be switched off to extend battery life?

3G can be switched off. No idea what it's like though as I can't activate it yet! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well, you gotta hand it to Apple. They can really hype and sell a product, whatever the price. I can't really imagine Nokia being able to pull something off like this. I saw the ad for the 3G iPhone today. Clever ad and it makes me want to have one so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

If someone signs up to the 60 euro price plan how long before they can reduce down to the 45 euro price plan?

Normally, it's 6 months for standard contracts. I assume the iPhone one is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

there are a few sellers on ebay putting this phone up for 4000 dollars
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130237952429&Category=3312&_trksid=p3907.m29
    funny thing is they didnt even bother to put up a picture...
    Anyone that stupid or impatient to pay 4000 for a phone is either brainwashed by apple or just damn stupid

Any shops in dublin have the 8g one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

That doesn't matter if its a company machine or laptop. The internet policies probably aren't set locally like that. If she is using the companies network through her laptop then she is subject to the same restrictions.

iTunes Store could be blocked by a company firewall / or other protection software.

I look after the IT in our office so no problem with the above

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

every single o2 store and CPW was taking names weeks in advance to the release of the phone and they knew what the demand is. come today shops got up to 15 pieces (waterford area). are they for real??? o2 in waterford had a list of 200 people and got 8 phones. CPW got 8 too sold within minutes. i prebooked my too, got a call at 10am that i have to wait 2 weeks. joke:mad:

Apparently, O2 only got 800 phones in for all their stores. They must have upwards of 50 stores so at an even spread, which didn't happen for obvious reasons, that's only 16 per store.

Izy wrote: »
    every single o2 store and CPW was taking names weeks in advance to the release of the phone and they knew what the demand is. come today shops got up to 15 pieces (waterford area). are they for real??? o2 in waterford had a list of 200 people and got 8 phones. CPW got 8 too sold within minutes. i prebooked my too, got a call at 10am that i have to wait 2 weeks. joke:mad:

Yea, the launch was a bit of a sham to be honest. CPW were taking pre-orders, but then decided not too and make all the existing pre-orders void. 02 said the pre-order would be on their website july 1st...it wasn't.

I was a lucky one, i got a 16GB model, but due to apple's activation servers being down, i can't even activate the phone !!! So, don't feel too bad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mandy_111

I decided to wait till Monday for my 16Gb so there is an 8Gb available in O2 Rathmines, as of 30 seconds ago if anyone wants one urgently.

01-4965444

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 laoistom

I got mine this morning. 16Gb Black. Got it from Carephone warehouse in The Square. Activated it as soon as I got back to work.

It's absolutely fantastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got my 3G 16GB iPhone (black) today- love it!!!

posted via macbook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Tried to get a 16GB in Limerick at 9:40AM, no luck. The CPW say they will have them in Tue/Wed in Parkway anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Has anyone actually activated an iPhone instore? TUAW is saying that the instore activation is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anyone get a white 16gb? Thinking of picking one up in august.
    does it look nice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Has anyone actually managed to activate a phone in the last couple of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

irishj wrote: »
    YCPW were taking pre-orders, but then decided not too and make all the existing pre-orders void.

Hate to contradict ya but CPW on Grafton Street were honouring their pre-orders - i should know as I was 2nd on the list and got one of the very few black 16gb ones they had. The manager said they had 91 iphones in total - more than the rest of the CPWs put together! Also managed to activate it (at about 1.30pm) too:D (sorry if I sound smug)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not able to activate my phone at all, just getting that screen with the usb plug and itunes disc icon - anyone else having the same problem? Have iTunes and my playlists set up and the iPhone is being recognised, buy my connection keeps timing out. Is this just a case of waiting or do I genuinely have a problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just did a search on google news for iphone activation servers - fraid to say the do seem to be having problems:(

Not able to activate my phone at all, just getting that screen with the usb plug and itunes disc icon - anyone else having the same problem? Have iTunes and my playlists set up and the iPhone is being recognised, buy my connection keeps timing out. Is this just a case of waiting or do I genuinely have a problem :(

It's not you...it's them.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/11/itunes-activation-servers-go-down-iphone-3g-customers-being-sen/

Archytas wrote: »
    Has anyone actually managed to activate a phone in the last couple of hours?

Yup. Mine just activated about 10 minutes ago. Can't sync any music or contacts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Any explanation as to why there are no games in the Irish App Store ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Damn right, I want my Monkey Ball ....when the damn thing activates ..:rolleyes:

The remote is great. Extremely handy since my fiance keeps on losing the Apple TV remote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

BTW. If there is such a demand as it is, where is the problem of actually gettin people to pay deposits and order the phones for them??? is it workin the way that " we get 10 and hopefully they sell " :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement