Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sorry I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

No problem, thanks anyway. Ill be out and out tommorrow and if I hear of anywhere stocking them I post it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I pre-ordered mine, but still did not get one. I was next on the list & have been assured that I will be getting the next Black 16Gb in the Waterford O2 store...

Anyone else in this situation? Any one in Waterford :P?????????!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i know unused calls and texts don't carry over to the next month but does unused data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anybody else a bit disapointed with the AppStore?
    First off, everything is quite expensive on it... Somebody is trying to sell a flashlight app (ie an app which is just a white screen) for like 2 euro, crazy...
    And everything else costs too - the only thing I'd be willing to pay for is commercially made games...
    The selection is also a bit abysmal - the facebook app, remote, etc - all very good, but there's nowhere near the decent selection of free apps with installer (...yet).

Also - not much which uses the GPS very creatively?
    I've seen nothing to give a compass, current speed, log trail on a map, useful stuff like that.

Also, why the hell is Ireland getting none of the games in AppStore, and when will we?
    Any easy way of getting some of the USA selection in app store, is adding a USA iTunes voucher enough or do I need to register and authorize my iTunes to the states too? If so that'd suck.

Have to say though i'm really amazed with this device, even GPS alone is enough to make it worth the upgrade from my first gen iPhone - GPS is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Maybe they kept the games off to reduce server load in the first couple of days, can't see any other reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Some of the apps are pretty poor. Although if you take the time to look around there are free versions of some of the lesser apps, i.e. a free "Flashlight" and "To-Do List".

Only using them on my iPod touch at the min as im waitin for the 2.0 Pwnage for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

kucyk wrote: »
    glynf - did you preorder iphone?

Nope,

went in to see about when the next shipment was due in, as i assumed the first lot was well gone.

Nice phone but can't say i am blown away by it, its a bit chubby compared to the ipod touch, the bb blows it out of the water re. emails-might need to tinker with settings though.

ill probably sell this and get a HTC diamond as soon as they sort out the software issues with it.

Good luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

glynf - I'm crestfallen because of you ... I thought there is no way to buy iPhone today in Ireland...

kucyk wrote: »
    glynf - I'm crestfallen because of you ... I thought there is no way to buy iPhone today in Ireland...

lol. sorry m8-pure luck:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bobhoskins

Got to the Carphone warehouse on broadstreet in Waterford on friday at 8:50 and there was a small queue. Within 10 minutes there were quite a lot of people there, and when I got to the counter the nice girl there told me there was only 7 Iphones in stock, and I got number 6. That really amazed me - they could have sold 60.

Anyway - blown away by the phone, I changed over from Vodafone and am better off by 10 euro a month with a lot more data usage allowance. I used it a lot yesterday and still only got to 35kb usage - so as far as I'm concerned a gig is plenty, and I would be a heavy user over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

glynf wrote: »
    Nope,

went in to see about when the next shipment was due in, as i assumed the first lot was well gone.

Nice phone but can't say i am blown away by it, its a bit chubby compared to the ipod touch, the bb blows it out of the water re. emails-might need to tinker with settings though.

ill probably sell this and get a HTC diamond as soon as they sort out the software issues with it.

Good luck with yours.

What BB are you using and do you find it better for anything else (I'm trying to decide between both)?
    I think the bold is coming out in August.
    Is the BB for work or personnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

glynf wrote: »
    ...Nice phone but can't say i am blown away by it, its a bit chubby compared to the ipod touch, ....

ill probably sell this and get a HTC diamond ....

Is the HTC diamond smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep and spec wise better

altho the samsung omnia might be the one foe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They all looks to have smaller screens/screen area than the iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

After nearly 2 days use I'm loving mine. Bought a Belkin Wave case which does the job as far as protecting it (although I seem to be permanently cleaning the screenguard).

Went to London yesterday and the Google Maps GPS yoke worked a treat in finding a friends new house. Not as good as a Garmin or TomTom but still very useful.

I'd say my biggest concern will be battery life. Any extended use seems to drain the battery fairly quickly although yesterday it went right down very quickly then stayed alive for another 8-10 hours.

Also, does anyone know if I need to contact my old provider Vodafone (who I ported from on Friday) to cancel my contract or is it automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brendan88

Heya...

I haven't got wirelss in my house, but I should still be able to use the net on it at a slower speed shouldn't I??!?!

Is there a setting I have to change or what, cos when I'm not in a wifi area - I get NOTHING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

@ Brendan88,

are you getting PDP cellular data error when trying to use safari through 3g?
    can you send texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Oneredarmy wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if I need to contact my old provider Vodafone (who I ported from on Friday) to cancel my contract or is it automatic?

Don't think you need to contact them, they will send you on a bill for any usage since your last payment plus one months line rental (assuming you didn't give a months notice)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

any news abut the next shipment dates???

• Advertisement

bwardrop wrote: »
    I pre-ordered mine, but still did not get one. I was next on the list & have been assured that I will be getting the next Black 16Gb in the Waterford O2 store...

Anyone else in this situation? Any one in Waterford :P?????????!!!!!!!!!

so was I. and i think everyone else who didn't get one on friday was told the same s***.

Izy wrote: »
    so was I. and i think everyone else who didn't get one on friday was told the same s***.

I wouldnt get too bothered about it, you'll proably have a better experience than the majority of iphone customers by the time you get one. 02 were not prepared (network wise) for the iphone and the service is poor, very poor.

cant send texts, cant use 3g (which most of the apps use), the only outgoing connection i can do is make a phone call.

things work well with wifi, but i didnt buy it for the wifi, i have a laptop for when im near a wifi spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brendan88

Yeah I can send txts.. it just says safari cannot open as it can't find server....

or sometimes it says safari cannot open as it's not connected to the internet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

Whatever about the set-up problems (luckily I seem to have escaped those) I don't think O2 can really be blamed for the lack of stock.

It seems Apple (unsurprisingly) have overwhelmingly favoured their own stores over phone company outlets in terms of initial stock allocation.

I thought the pre-order system whilst not satisfying everyone, was at least fair. Stock was allocated to those who pre-reserved earliest. Presumably at that time, O2 had ordered a certain amount of stock but had no confirmation what stock levels would be delivered. From what I heard they got a lot less than they'd hoped for.

richieg wrote: »
    What BB are you using and do you find it better for anything else (I'm trying to decide between both)?
    I think the bold is coming out in August.
    Is the BB for work or personnel?

richieg,

I use a Pearl for work-I'm finding the text input on the iphone a bit clumsy, its the very same as the ipod touch.
    The iphone blows the BB out of the water for everything else apart from text & email settings-though this might improve?
    Anyway BB for work, iphone for all else..

It depends on what you want your phone for-but the iphone will not disappoint.

I plan to get a bold for work-Vodafone can't confirm if they will be getting one (nothing new there). Where did you hear the bold is out in August and with what carrier?

I wouldnt get too bothered about it, you'll proably have a better experience than the majority of iphone customers by the time you get one. 02 were not prepared (network wise) for the iphone and the service is poor, very poor.

cant send texts, cant use 3g (which most of the apps use), the only outgoing connection i can do is make a phone call.

things work well with wifi, but i didnt buy it for the wifi, i have a laptop for when im near a wifi spot.

i know that, but i canceled my contract and i'm without a phone:o, well have a pay as you go sim but i hate running out of credit

Brendan88 wrote: »
    Yeah I can send txts.. it just says safari cannot open as it can't find server....

or sometimes it says safari cannot open as it's not connected to the internet.....

apparently o2 are having dns issues aswell today so thats probably wgat you are experiencing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Anyone know how to get an itunes account without a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Samsung wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get an itunes account without a credit card?

Not really possible, unless you go onto eBay and buy an iTunes gift card. But you are most likely going to need a credit card to buy the gift card so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Not really possible, unless you go onto eBay and buy an iTunes gift card. But you are most likely going to need a credit card to buy the gift card so...

Cheers mate, i got a lend of a mates CC..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement