Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Sorry! Just saw that now!
    I cant believe I hadn't come across it before now and just assumed that as it was called the 3G iPhone, and that it was only using a 3G chip!!!!!

:o:o:o

Can't find a face that makes me look embarrassed enough!!!
    Ah! Here we go.................

blushing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

By the way, try http://testmyiphone.com/ from your iPhone for speedtests or http://iphonespeedtest.com

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Anyone else very disappointed by the battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hidden iPhone 3G firmware "fixes" yellow screens
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/13/hidden_iphone_3g_firmware_fixes_yellow_screens.html

Anybody else's 3g freezing a lot?
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17896653

Might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I've had the iPhone 3G since Friday's launch. Here are my observations:

- Great device and finally an all in one for me (i.e. phone and PDA). Just waiting for eWallet software to be released on iPhone and it's coming soon

- Only a evolutionary leap from iPhone 1st Gen. So if you're not bothered about 3G speeds and GPS, the iPhone 3G is not for you. GPS works surprisingly quick btw! It also found my location pretty accurately so I was very impressed with that. Great for planning routes and looking for directions in a new city you're visiting.

- 3G surfing is great but I find the 3G signal weak as others have reported globally. The signal bars certainly isn't indicating strong signals. This may be resolved by a later firmware update but I'm a little disappointed nevertheless, afterall, the strongest feature of the new iPhone is suppose to be it's 3G capability! It should be noted that the iPhone switches between 3G and Wi-Fi pretty seamless. So when I'm home, it will connect to my Wi-Fi as 1st preference over 3G.

- Wish the camera was better. It does take great shots for a 2mp but auto-focus, an increase in mp and Macro capability would be great.

- There is definitely the yellow tint but not a big deal to me. It does give richer images compared with 1st gen iPhone or iPod Touch but it's only a matter of preference. Apple should just add a feature to adjust screen temperature and all will be happy.

- Battery life is shorter than I expected but I surf a lot using the device outside and at home using Wi-Fi, listening to music and watching videos. With a large screen, it's gotta suck battery life. I had to charge it at least once every day so far. I may get more battery life after the initial novelty wears out and I stop playing with it all the time. For those who want to conserve power, you can switch off 3G mode when usage is not required. And I also use the Fetch/Push option which also drains battery for checking emails frequently. I use it a bit like a Blackberry. You can fetch mail manually if you want to save on battery juice.

- It's slightly sluggish at times with some delays switching apps or viewing contacts. I'm pretty sure this will be resolved with the next firmware update. This is common with Apple's new products. However, it's not too bad the way it is but not as stable as my iPod Touch.

- In terms of the iPhone 3G's physical attibutes - it's a truly beautiful device. I purchased the Black 16GB model and it looks gorgeous. However, it's even more slippery than a wet bar of soap! I would definitely recommend using a case of some sort. I find silicon cases the best. They're grippy, small, light and give it pleny of protection.

Well that's my 2c worth of feedback so far. All in all, I think it's a great device. Shame about the 18 month contract with 02 and a much lesser package compared with our UK counterparts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

my gf wants to get one.

Does anyone know where its in stock or how long she will be waiting for it to be in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

One question. Soes the interface between 3G Iphone and Exchange email work well?
    Thinking of upgrading from Blackberry and this would be important to me!

R

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the iPhone in its entirety. My only significant issues remain the freezing up (about 3/4 times since Friday) which a software update in the upcoming weeks should address. As well as the sluggish texting.

The battery was a major letdown initially. On Sat/Sun the battery drained over the course of the day. It wasn't until last night that I realised that my frenzied use of the device was just a honeymoon period. I was using the iPhone for all my email/surfing/IM'ing which really isn't what it is designed for. I didn't touch my computer for the first three days, I almost wanted to prove that I could use the iPhone for it all, which I nearly could.

However, it's a device that complements my Laptop/PC, not a replacement. There is no need for me to use the Browser/IM at home when I have a perfectly good computer. Once the novelty wears off I'll use those features when I don't have my laptop on me or am out and about. In which case I'll most likely only check my email/bus/train timetables on the go, no serious surfing.

Disabling Wifi/3g/push is the best thing to do when your near a computer all day, which for me is Work and Home. It helps battery significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

Anyone notice the 3G reception on the new iPhone is crap...(Software issue), I am about 100 metres from a cell site and only getting 2 bars !!!

My 3G isn't working. Apparently it's something with my Account, according to O2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

It is a worldwide issue..

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1526

The Firmware is crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

so does anyone know of any iphones available to buy yet?

Any shops got any in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

lotdpd wrote: »
    so does anyone know of any iphones available to buy yet?

Any shops got any in yet?

rang CPW and O2 and nobody seems to know, on friday i was told by the CPW helpdesk that they will be back on tuesday(tomoro). somehow i dont believe it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

to the people with the text & 3g issues, anyone got theirs fixed yet? starting to get very pissed off with o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

heggie wrote: »
    to the people with the text & 3g issues, anyone got theirs fixed yet? starting to get very pissed off with o2

No heggie, no fix yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads those of you still waiting to get one

why the rush, personally id wait until they get the things working properly

just on to 1909 again, the guy fixed it straight away, it's great to get someone who actually has a clue! everythings working now, so give that another try, I guess today they're better informed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I wonder if there's anyway of getting wifi/3g to turn on just when it's needed i.e
    when you open safari/check for email (I'm not to bothered about push email as I get so much spam it'd be annoying me every few minutes)

does it not do that out of the box digitaldr? seems to select whichever network is availble when needed for me

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Does anyone know if O2/CPW are taking deposit's on new stock?

• Advertisement

heggie wrote: »
    does it not do that out of the box digitaldr? seems to select whichever network is availble when needed for me

Sorry probably didn't make myself clear - I was wondering if, in order to improve battery life, it could turn wifi/3g on only when needed eg for surfing/retrieving email.

maybe there will be an app to do that, for the moment though that can all be done manually in settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Cheers Heggie, i rang 02 and they fixed the text/3g/caller ID issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

michaelm wrote: »
    Does anyone know if O2/CPW are taking deposit's on new stock?
    O2 took pre-orders on the first, so any new stock they get in, will be going to those customers, the store in Waterford didn't take a deposit, they just put our names down in a book.
    CPW have told me, they are explicitly doing it on a First-Come-First-Serve basis, and wouldnt be taking pre-orders or deposits.

O2 said there may be more in stock by Monday (today), and CPW said a week/week-half (this Friday/mid next week). They also told me, they were getting calls from people in other parts of the country asking if they still had stock.
    Samsung wrote: »
    Cheers Heggie, i rang 02 and they fixed the text/3g/caller ID issues..
    Now we just need them to fix Visual Voicemail ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

I've never actually really used 3G before this iPhone. I had some crap phones that had it but rarely got 3G reception and I'm sure the lousy ram on the devices wouldn't allow much speed anyway. Internet wasn't their strong point. Anyway the speeds I'm getting are literally almost 90% of my Eircom speeds. Which really sucks as far as the Eircom speeds. Anyway, everywhere I've gone since I've gotten the phone I've had almost full 3G connection except on Dawson Street. The problem with that is I work on Dawson Street. I couldn't get anything but Edge today until I walked up the road and turned the corner where 3G popped right back up. It stayed on all day after that. I wasn't back on Dawson Street again though.

Does anyone know if Dawson Street is actually a black spot or was there some other problem with O2 today around 9-11 o'Clock.

Edit: I also downloaded 45mbs worth of data already today and I don't know how. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

digitaldr wrote: »
    Sorry probably didn't make myself clear - I was wondering if, in order to improve battery life, it could turn wifi/3g on only when needed eg for surfing/retrieving email.
    You can turn wifi on and off, turn all transmit/receive functionality off (airplane mode), and also turn 3G off to revert to Edge.

You can also monitor the data counter to check your usage against your 1gb allowance.

No excuses really.

pity there's. I way of getting the iPhone to do it automatically guess I'm just lazy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

MacBuster wrote: »
    It is a worldwide issue..

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1526

The Firmware is crap...

seems it was issue with S/W on the handset, nothing to do with network. Should be sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brendan88

My negative views of the iPhone 3G so far...

Battery Life: Very dissapointing; I know I could make it last longer by turning off the 'push' setting - but that's what I want the phone for!!!!

Camera: Very bad; auto-adjust isn't great at all.. no flash... megapxiels aren't great at all. Outside is much better.

Downloading & Saving: You can view vids and pics online, but once I'm finished with them that's it - they're gone. Anyway I can save them into a folder on my phone so I can access them without going on the net???

Texting: Anyone else finding it a bit sluggish/slow in catching up with you when you're typing? (and I'm REALLY not even that fast at it yet!!!). Also any way you can forward on a txt that you recieved??

Apart from all that - it's such a cool gadget! The pro's definatly outweigh the con's (",)

Gimme any feedback on tips for my probs that you hav!

Cheers,

B.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement