Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Brendan88 wrote: »
    Downloading & Saving: You can view vids and pics online, but once I'm finished with them that's it - they're gone. Anyway I can save them into a folder on my phone so I can access them without going on the net???

Hold your finger on an image and you get the option to save it in your Camera Roll.
    Texting: Anyone else finding it a bit sluggish/slow in catching up with you when you're typing? (and I'm REALLY not even that fast at it yet!!!). Also any way you can forward on a txt that you recieved??

Try doing a soft reset (hold sleep and home button until you see Apple logo). Sorted out some sluggish responses for me. No forwarding messages yet, which is silly. It was the main reason I had to stop using my first gen iPhone as my work phone.

My main issue is that my iPod Touch 3rd Party Charger won't charge the phone. I believe this is due to the chargers being built on Firewire charging rather than USB charging and the iPhone 3G no longer supports Firewire charging. Would have been nice to know before I went away for the night with a half empty battery. Could have brought a USB cable as I've the Macbook with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Weirdly, demand for second-hand first gen iphones has gone up on adverts.ie, and they are back going for about 270/280. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

The only issue's i have at the moment are..
    Caller ID: If someone calls me i see who it is..
    SMS tones: I cant find a way to import them..

Here are ringtones
    http://www.zedge.net/download/

This is how i put them on the phone
    http://www.iringer.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

samsung, do u mean that contacts are showing up as unknown still? the guy from o2 told me that after they fixed my account, if this still presisted, do a network settings reset.

• Advertisement

Yea Hegg, I tried that and it still is coming up unknown.
    The thing with reseting the network setting is that is resets all te wifi keys i have stored.
    The one for home is ok but the one in work is 56 characters and alot of them are ""$%&)}{
    keys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

Getting a mortgage top up over the next 2 months, and a little worried that O2 will do a credit check before i get my iphone 3g ? ?

All credit checks stay on your credit file and you should have as little as possible.

Do they definitely do a credit check?

Edit *** Found the answer elsewhere. As they are not a financial institution they do not show up on your ICB as a search, was probably being paranoid anyway! ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Well I can only say from my experience ttilting, is this. I came here fromt he UK and actually couldn't get a billpay phone except with T-mobile or 3. I did have a CCJ, (County Court Judgement - when you don't pay a bill oops!) So I was worried about getting even the new O2 Clear plan. I got it no probs, and now have Mrs Spider on the Clear plan, as well as my 3G iPhone.

So AFAIK they can't do a credit check as I have only been here for 2 1/2 years. (I did say I have been here for 3 though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ok so here's the scenario. What happens if you bought and signed up for an iPhone (or any contract phone for that case) with o2 and then you had it stolen or lost it. What action do o2 take and what penalties would a person be liable for, for the next 2 years!! Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

People need to get this whole thing out of their head. Yes, a contract is a good way to get a cheaper phone, but it's also a legally binding agreement to pay for a Service (key word being service) for an agreed amount of time.

You lose your phone? Hard luck. You still agreed to pay for the service. It's hardly O2/Voda/Meteor/3's fault you lost your phone or that you don't have a spare one. You're still liable for all recurring charges on your account.

Same goes for this thread. The OP assumed that his bill would cut off after 200e. That's not a bill phone. That's PayG. As was explained, 3 have a practice where they cut people off if their bills go too high for the first couple of months. This is because, believe it or not, people who sign contracts and run off with the phones and don't pay, tend to use their phones excessively as they know they won't be paying the bill. If the OP was unable to check how many minutes he was using etc, EVERY phone has a built in call counter. Checks what he has before he leaves Ireland, then basic maths after that. It's called personal responsibility, something that is very much lacking in most of these threads.

The simple fact is that you used the minutes, you ran up the bills, you signed a contract saying that you agreed to all 3s terms and conditions, so you are liable for all the costs. The only way around it would be if you were 100% sure your minutes roaming should have come from your plan minutes, you could ask them to investigate it as there may have been technical issues.

For the previous poster: O2 will send you many letters, then pass it on to a debt collectors who may or may not take it to court. Obviously, the phone would be cut off, but I'm not sure if they block the hand set too. I don't think so since, as I alluded to earlier, a handset is an incentive to sign up, not what you are signing for so it's outside the terms of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The have in the past blocked handsets also. IMHO they pay most of the price of the handset as you're agreeing to pay they bills, if you don't pay why should you enjoy the handset, as I said though IMHO.

Having worked for various mobile retailers over the years, I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to get insurance and come back three months later with their tail between their legs.

Ttilting, the networks don't do a credit check they operate a credit score, it's a different system that looks a a number of details about you and comes up with a score, based on this they'll sign you up or not but they don't check an individuals credit rating. Thats a very simplified version of what goes on, and there is a recent thread which goes into it in a lot more detail so let's not go completely off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

they offer an insurance against damage or theft, which is an additional monthly charge

It's 6 euro a month, the excess is 35 euro, considering the price of the replacement price of the iphone and the line rental charges over the term of the contract in my opinion it's money well spent.

At the end of the day it's personal choice, just like car insurance you get a lot of people who know better and choose third party only to crash their own car and regret it you'll also get people who have fully comp and never had to claim, but there are quite a lot of people who are very glad they spent the bit extra on fully comp when it came to making a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So is there anywhere to get an iphone in ireland or is everywhere out. Carphone saying maybe next week is it the same for 02 shops

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Credit checks - I called O2 last week to get on the "call you back list" for an iPhone. The guy said it'd be advantageous to have a check done before I go in to collect it.
    He took my address, dob, time at address, time with bank, occupation and company ........ then gave me the green light within a minute. Not sure what he did - appeared to be more of a scoring than a credit check.

I'm currently #5 on the list in that store - looking at up to 2 weeks wait. Hardly a problem if I've been without one for 40 odd years!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Villain wrote: »
    So is there anywhere to get an iphone in ireland or is everywhere out. Carphone saying maybe next week is it the same for 02 shops

Called into the o2 store in the Cresent Shopping Centre in Limerick yesterday. She said it would definetly be August at the earliest in that store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Gillo wrote: »
    It's 6 euro a month, the excess is 35 euro, considering the price of the replacement price of the iphone and the line rental charges over the term of the contract in my opinion it's money well spent.

Got my iPhone at CPW - Insurance was €13 a month with a €40 excess:eek: Decided I'd take it for the first few months anyway but might avail of the 14 day cooling of period if O2 would be willing to insure my phone??

edit: Just rang 02 - theor insurance is €9 a month with €35 excess so looks like I'll be cancelling my CPW policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

August ah surely there has to be more stock than that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Gillo wrote: »

At the end of the day it's personal choice, just like car insurance you get a lot of people who know better and choose third party only to crash their own car and regret it you'll also get people who have fully comp and never had to claim, but there are quite a lot of people who are very glad they spent the bit extra on fully comp when it came to making a claim.

Insurance for mobile phones (and insurance in general) is beyond overpriced. I recently signed up with meteor so I could get a Nokia N95 for 169 euro with a 20 quid a month plan. The girl behind the counter asked if I would like to have insurance added for ONLY 13 euro per month. It was all I could do to not laugh in her face. That is 156 euro premium when at the end of the year, the phone will be worth less than 300 euro.

There is a very good reason that insurance companies make huge profits - it's because of people paying ridiculous premiums like this.

The funny thing is Insurance companies make us believe that we are taking a gamble by not taking out insurance. The fact is that by buying insurance you ARE gambling.

Certain people however, are far more prone to losing/breaking their phones than the rest of us, i.e. people who lose/break their phone at least once a year should of course get insurance since in this case, the insurance company is making a poor wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

digitaldr wrote: »
    Got my iPhone at CPW - Insurance was €13 a month with a €40 excess:eek: Decided I'd take it for the first few months anyway but might avail of the 14 day cooling of period if O2 would be willing to insure my phone??

they will... i bought my iphone from CPW and then got the insurance from O2.

• Advertisement

edit: Just rang 02 - theor insurance is €9 a month with €35 excess so looks like I'll be cancelling my CPW policy.
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the iphone falls into the 6 euro price range, I'm off today so can't say for sure, but I'll check tomorrow in work and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

phone insurance is a rip off.

think about what you pay for car insurance relative to the value, now apply that to phone insurance

ive never taken it out and ive had nearly every top end handset going

Further insurance info - the first guy I talked to in O2 customer service quoted me €9 per month on my 16 gig iphone. Then rang CPW to cancel insurance which they did over the phone (didn't offer to match O2) - I thought I'd have to cancel in writing but maybe not during the cooling off period?

Anyway when I phoned O2 back I didn't mention the previous quote and a very nice Cork lady said she'd have to check. It took her a good while (she phoned the insurance company) but quote was €6 per month (so Iphone must be €600 or less).

I think it's definitely worth having insurance for the first 6 months at least while phone is still worth something - beyond that I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Having failed to get a phone on Friday morning I rang customer care at about half ten and ordered one. I thought it would take weeks but it has just arrived. WTF, I thought they had no stock??

I spoke too soon..opened the outer box and inside I find a white Apple box so its a white phone, I ordered black.

Anecdotally it seems that the black 16gig is much more popular than the (old skool) white. Think I read somewhere that O2 UK aren't carrying the white on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

jpfahy wrote: »
    Having failed to get a phone on Friday morning I rang customer care at about half ten and ordered one. I thought it would take weeks but it has just arrived. WTF, I thought they had no stock??

I spoke too soon..opened the outer box and inside I find a white Apple box so its a white phone, I ordered black.

So when did you actually order the iphone????? any idea what the name of the customer care person was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

lotdpd wrote: »
    So when did you actually order the iphone????? any idea what the name of the customer care person was?

I ordered Friday morning bout half ten I think. I couldn't believe it when I actually got through, I was only holding for about twenty seconds, she told me there were 100 callls waiting. I didn't get her name, silly me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just FYI, folks...

Dropped into O2 on Henry St (Dublin) at lunch.
    Obviously they have no phones but the girl said they would have them maybe this week, though more likely early next week.

She offered to take my name and number which she just wrote on the back of a flyer (about 5 other names). Although they aren't officially 'booking' phones, she suggested that they would call you, and give you an hour or two to collect it, before putting your iPhone in someone else's grubby hands.
    Then rang CPW to cancel insurance which they did over the phone
    Best move ever! I'm currently fighting with them over the spurious denial of a claim. And every dealing I've ever had with them has been a masterclass in incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Just to clear this up lads. If I buy an iPhone for €169, and brake or have it stolen within a few months, how much will it cost to replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

just out of the o2 store in waterford, was told that the phone wont be back earlier then in 3 weeks time, i asked them if they can tell where am i on the waiting list i got this reply "i have no time to look it up, there is propably 10 to 15 people in front of you" some customer care. i'll be gettin my in CPW even if i have to wait longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement