Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Just to clear this up lads. If I buy an iPhone for €169, and brake or have it stolen within a few months, how much will it cost to replace it?

the insurance I got with o2 on my 16 gig one covers handsets up to the value of €600 so you could be looking at that much to replace it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Methinks insurance is definitely worth it for a few months anyway, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Imagine how bitter you'd be if it got nicked in August and you had 17 months of contract left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

jpfahy wrote: »
    Having failed to get a phone on Friday morning I rang customer care at about half ten and ordered one. I thought it would take weeks but it has just arrived. WTF, I thought they had no stock??

I spoke too soon..opened the outer box and inside I find a white Apple box so its a white phone, I ordered black.

If anyone wants my white 16Gb before I send it back and if you can arrange with O2 to swap it to your account pm me. I haven't opened the iPhone box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

Anyone seen any Crystal Clear screen protectors for the 3G iphone knocking around in any O2 (or other) stores?

They have released a 3G version but they appear to be thin on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

I rang and signed up to the 02 insurance, €6 euro a month nd €35 if i need to claim.
    Plus because i didnt sign up in store i have to waiit 60 days before the policy kicks in.
    So if anyone is thinking of buying one then sign up in store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to admit that I find the iPhone to be an attractive option, but I haven't bought one yet. I'm thinking that O2 must have paid Apple an insane amount of money so they can be the only network that has the iPhone. You'd have to wonder though, wouldn't Apple make more money if the iPhone was available on all networks, as both contract and pay as you go?

I'm no business/financial expert, but it kind of seems like a silly decision to me. I think in some other countries, the iPhone is legally becoming available on other networks.

I guess I have a few reservations about buying one. I'm currently on Vodafone pay as you go and quite happy with it. I was on a contract with them at one point but didn't like it so I'm reluctant to switch myself to O2 and have to pay at least €45 per month. When I was with Vodafone contract it seemed that even though I rarely made calls, I always seemed to end up paying more than the monthly charge. It also became a bit cumbersome to switch back to pay as you go and it took two or three attempts.

I didn't realise either that if you take out the contract with O2, and you lose the phone or something or it gets stolen, you still have to pay the remainder of the contract.

Overall I think I will wait until prices come down and they stop locking people into long contracts. Bring on Pay as you go and I might consider switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I'm no business/financial expert, but it kind of seems like a silly decision to me. I think in some other countries, the iPhone is legally becoming available on other networks.

"a monopoly exists when a specific enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product todetermine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it." Ring any bells o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I took out insurance on my 16gb iphone last Friday in the CPW, its 13 euro a month. Can I get out of this and get the insurance with O2?

To be honest, I can't really see this lasting long term. I think sooner or later someone at Apple will wake up and realise they'd be selling a ton more iPhones if people didn't have to switch networks and had the option of pay as you go.

Would the iPod have been as successful had they put some mad restrictions as to where you could buy it and how you could use it? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

sham69 wrote: »
    I took out insurance on my 16gb iphone last Friday in the CPW, its 13 euro a month. Can I get out of this and get the insurance with O2?
    I would like an answer to this too and if you could give the relevant numbers for both CPW & O2 it would be most helpful ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Carbide

I didn't realise either that if you take out the contract with O2, and you lose the phone or something or it gets stolen, you still have to pay the remainder of the contract.

Is this really true? I was going on the assumption that I could just buy another iPhone in the event that it was lost/stolen, costing me 229 at the most?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

To be honest, I can't really see this lasting long term. I think sooner or later someone at Apple will wake up and realise they'd be selling a ton more iPhones if people didn't have to switch networks and had the option of pay as you go.
    Call me mad, but I'm fairly sure this process was thought out fully by enormous Apple Brains.

Either they are intentionally creating a sparsity in supply to begin, or O2 gave them so much cash that it didn't make it worth their while just selling handsets to all the networks.

And for those getting insurance - go with O2. They couldn't be any worse than CPW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought the point of the exclusivity contracts was because networks had to change there networks to accommodate some of the features of the iPhone, and Apple thought that networks wouldn't bother doing that unless they could make a guaranteed return by the fact they would be the only network selling the iPhone.

However at least in Ireland it seems to have had the opposite effect as O2 haven't bothered to sort out the visual voicemail (it cant be that hard if every other country can manage it). If the iPhone was available on all networks I would guarantee that it would be in by now.

Either way these exclusivity deals I believe are in place for at least two years. So it will be at least a year and half before other networks start getting them.

You could be right. But it must have been an insane amount of money that O2 gave them. Will be interesting to see if O2 makes that money back, but I don't know if we will ever know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

If anyone wants my white 16Gb before I send it back and if you can arrange with O2 to swap it to your account pm me. I haven't opened the iPhone box.

I want white 16Gb iPhone! And I also live in Dun Laoghaire. Write me PM message plz, if you still want to send it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

EI-DAV wrote: »
    "a monopoly exists when a specific enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product todetermine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it." Ring any bells o2?

it's not a monopoly as you don't have to buy an iphone! the esb had a monopoly because they stopped companies like airtricity using their network, thereby forcing people to buy it from esb.

o2 selling the applie iphone is exactly the same as say maxwell motors selling bmw's. bmw decide who their agents are and so do apple. exclusivity deals are prevalent in the gaming industry too, e.g. you can't buy the latest metal gear solid for an xbox 360. doesn't mean ps3 have a monopoly though.

in the case of the iphone, apple chose o2. i'm sure o2 jumped through hoops to get it but it's not always just the money. apple have a good reputation and may have decided that o2 were the best to use. vodafone's customer care is awful, o2's is award winning. meteor and 3 don't really have much market share. apple may have wanted good customer support for their iphone and went with o2 for that reason. certainly doesn't mean it's a monopoly though.

they are also creating demand by not having it on all networks. and that's good for apple!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I would like an answer to this too and if you could give the relevant numbers for both CPW & O2 it would be most helpful ?

you can opt out of the cpw insurance up 14 days from time of purchase. but in my opinion the cpw insurance while more expensive, is better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Any news on Apple breaking the exclusivity deal?

I think this is a mistake by Apple - I am on Vodafone, find customer care very good when needed - I am on bill, and would be buy an iPhone on Vodafone, and am not prepared to to change networks just to get the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It's actually €13.75:eek:
    I changed yesterday - you can cancel your CPW without penalty within 14 days of purchase if you haven't made a claim. In the policy summary it says to cancel in writing but when I phoned yesterday they cancelled over the phone (think I'll write too just in case):

Lifeline Dept,
    The Carphone Warehouse Limited,
    3rd Floor Office Suite,
    Omni Shopping Centre,
    Santry,
    Dublin 9
    Tel: 1850 424 800.

Just phone O2 customer services on 1909 to purchase their insurance it's €6 a month even for the 16 gb. Someone else on here said that if you don't take the insurance on the day of purchase you can't make a claim in the first 60 days but when I asked the lady in O2 when my cover started she said immediately.

Also CPW forgot to change me over to the iPhone plan (only discovered this on Sunday when I checked with *111#) - unbundled data is very expensive - €55 for about 7 megs. Anyway I popped into an O2 shop and they sorted it in 5 mins. Will be going into CPW today and won't be leaving til I get a refund!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Just got my iPhone delivered from the 02 website.
    Do I need to give them a call to get the sim activated, or bring it in to an O2 shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

hi team.... when did you order your iphone?

teamdresch wrote: »
    Just got my iPhone delivered from the 02 website.
    Do I need to give them a call to get the sim activated, or bring it in to an O2 shop?

no, you have to do it yourself via itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

you can opt out of the cpw insurance up 14 days from time of purchase. but in my opinion the cpw insurance while more expensive, is better value for money.

why is the CPW insurance better value for money (its over double the price ?)

Ordered it on Friday.
    I'm moving from pay as you go on Vodafone.

With my old sim, iTunes is saying it's not a compatible SIM.
    With the new 3G SIM that came with the phone, the phone is saying I need to unlock the SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Got my 3G iPhone on friday from CWH. I queued outside the grafton street one as I was told on the phone the night before from the CWH head office that they would be getting about 35 units in. I was also told from the stephen's green shop that they would open at 8am.

Well I was first in the line as the only other person who was there left when the manager told us when they would be opening. (9am!) He asked if we had all pre-ordered, and he did have some left over from the pre orders, mainly the black 8Gbs.

This is what I wanted so I was sorted when I went in. Only thing is I was told I would have to take out another sub on my account as I was on the O2 clear for the last 3 months. I had put my g/f onto the same plan 3 days previous so I cancelled her plan, gave her my old SIM and number and had to get a new number for the iPhone.

Not what O2 said on the website, but hey I got one! Now pros and cons!

Pros:
    Good 3G and WiFi
    Google maps is good
    Easy activation, took about 15mins. But I waited until I had charged it for most of the day!
    Sound from the iPod good, warning IT GOES VERY LOUD!!!!
    Got black rubber skin and screen protector from Northside market for €13!
    Easy to get wallpapers, ringtones, etc from here

Cons:
    No video
    No different camera modes, i.e. night, negative, etc, no zoom on camera
    No games! You can get some apparently?
    No SMS forwarding
    Not easy to transfer old contacts from old SIM

Also one final thing, WTF are those Apple stickers in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Ordered it on Friday.

With the new 3G SIM that came with the phone, the phone is saying I need to unlock the SIM.

Have you the latest version of iTunes

why is the CPW insurance better value for money (its over double the price ?)

you can claim up to three times in a 12 month period (2 with 02)

you're covered up to 2500 euro worth of calls made if your phone is stolen (1000 with o2)

you have to claim within 48 hours if its lost or stolen (24 with o2)

you dont have to jump through many hoops when you claim (you have to jump through a few more with o2, or so i've heard)

thats just off the top of my head. i dont have my cpw insurance details to hand, but those o2 figures i quoted i just got from their website

Have you the latest version of iTunes

Yeah, sure do.

• Advertisement

Ordered it on Friday.

if your old sim is your vodafone one, forget about it, its not gonna work anyway.

by unlocking the new sim do you mean entering the pin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement