Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

by unlocking the new sim do you mean entering the pin?

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The pin should be printed on the credit type card you pushed your sim out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

As I'm travelling to the States next week, is it possible to buy an iPhone 3g in an apple store there, without signing a contract in the store, so I could then bring it home and use it with an Irish sim? Im finding contradictory info on a few sites I've been checking??

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

digitaldr wrote: »
    The pin should be printed on the credit type card you pushed your sim out of.

Hm.

There's a tiny scrap of paper and a bit of glue where something might once have been attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Must be different for web orders - guess you'd better give O2 a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

vote4pedro wrote: »
    As I'm travelling to the States next week, is it possible to buy an iPhone 3g in an apple store there, without signing a contract in the store, so I could then bring it home and use it with an Irish sim? Im finding contradictory info on a few sites I've been checking??

no, you can't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

you have to claim within 48 hours if its lost or stolen (24 with o2)
    Unless you're me, and the 'helpline' tell you they have wrong phone on account - and say you'll have to wait before you can make a claim. Then tell you in the shop you waited too long to make the claim.
    you dont have to jump through many hoops when you claim (you have to jump through a few more with o2, or so i've heard)
    Oh, you do - believe me! The above was just the beginning...

Like I mentioned above, I've never experienced O2, but I couldn't envisage them being any worse than CPW!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

no, you can't
    Just to elaborate on what 120_Minutes has confirmed above, you cannot purchase an iPhone 3G in the States (in either an Apple or AT&T store) without the following:
    • Credit card
    • Social security number
    • Valid government-issued photo ID
    • Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Got my 3G iPhone on friday from CWH. I queued outside the grafton street one as I was told on the phone the night before from the CWH head office that they would be getting about 35 units in. I was also told from the stephen's green shop that they would open at 8am.

Well I was first in the line as the only other person who was there left when the manager told us when they would be opening. (9am!) He asked if we had all pre-ordered, and he did have some left over from the pre orders, mainly the black 8Gbs.

This is what I wanted so I was sorted when I went in. Only thing is I was told I would have to take out another sub on my account as I was on the O2 clear for the last 3 months. I had put my g/f onto the same plan 3 days previous so I cancelled her plan, gave her my old SIM and number and had to get a new number for the iPhone.

Not what O2 said on the website, but hey I got one! Now pros and cons!

Pros:
    Good 3G and WiFi
    Google maps is good
    Easy activation, took about 15mins. But I waited until I had charged it for most of the day!
    Sound from the iPod good, warning IT GOES VERY LOUD!!!!
    Got black rubber skin and screen protector from Northside market for €13!
    Easy to get wallpapers, ringtones, etc from here

Cons:
    No video
    No different camera modes, i.e. night, negative, etc, no zoom on camera
    No games! You can get some apparently?
    No SMS forwarding
    Not easy to transfer old contacts from old SIM

Also one final thing, WTF are those Apple stickers in the box?

yeah the no games on the irish app store is annoying as i believe super monkey ball is available for the americans

the forwarding of texts is only slightly annoying as its not really i feature i use much with sms

however the ability to forward my emails would be nice or even just to reply with history all i can do is create a new mail to that person:confused:

And yeah the apple stickers are amusing what do i want them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i read that you can buy a non subsidised iphone for around 699 dollars from the at+t stores but that its still locked to at+t but dosnt come with a sim or contract or anything you just need to sim unlock it

if i get to an at+t store in the next few days ill let you know if this is true or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Thoughts .......

You can't forward email??:confused::eek:

Why would one buy a unit for $699 in the US if they're here for €169 with a €65 / month contract? For PAYG?? Then the data is surely very expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

169 +65*18 = 1,339

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Moofy

Rob_l wrote: »
    yeah the no games on the irish app store is annoying as i believe super monkey ball is available for the americans

the forwarding of texts is only slightly annoying as its not really i feature i use much with sms

however the ability to forward my emails would be nice or even just to reply with history all i can do is create a new mail to that person:confused:

And yeah the apple stickers are amusing what do i want them for!

You can forward emails on the iPhone.

Its text messages that can't be forwarded, can't say I miss it as I never once forwarded one on any of my previous phones.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Why would one buy a unit for $699 in the US if they're here for €169 with a €65 / month contract? For PAYG?? Then the data is surely very expensive?
    Cyrus wrote: »
    169 +65*18 = 1,339
    Well there is a €45 tariff, too.

I think people forget that although there are cheaper tariffs for non-iPhones, you still have to pay for a contract or at least your calls with another network if you just have a handset.

A €500 (sceptical) unlocked iPhone handset doesn't entitle you to free calls for a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I think the games thing is an issue with the Irish app store, or so I have read in other forums. Basically, Ireland and Brazil are having the same issue. Apple are supposedly looking at it.

169 +65*18 = 1,339

You may want to finish the equation .............. what's your monthly fee going to be for the next 18 months ?

Then .........

169 +65*18 = 1,339 - (Monthly Fee * 18) = ??

Or maybe you'll just use it as an iPod??

You may want to finish the equation .............. what's your monthly fee going to be for the next 18 months ?

Then .........

169 +65*18 = 1,339 - (Monthly Fee * 18) = ??

Or maybe you'll just use it as an iPod??

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

what?

think what was meant was that if you buy in the states for 699 then unlock it how much will your tariff be for 18 months with whoever your provider is, thats what it will cost if your not with o2.......i think :)

i dunno i think that man needs to explain himself :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

seems pretty obvious cyrus, you compared the price of a sim free phone, to the price of a contract one with a 18 month contract including a lot of minutes and data, without including the sim free voice or data costs.

It's pretty obvious to me at least that if you are using a reasonable amount of minutes or data a month then you will end up paying a lot more buying a sim free phone and using a payg sim or similar over 18 months.

• Advertisement

OK - I will ....... explain myself, that is!!

I checked my current usage versus the O2 tariffs for the iPhone ........ 'cos I was told that they're not as competitive as they might be, and I suspect that there's some Scottish lineage on one or other side of the family!!:D

I found that the O2 package for €65 per month will cost me circa €5 per month extra compared to my current monthly bill.

Therefore the calculation I use is:

iPhone 169
    18 * €5 extra 90
    Total Cost 259 ........... that's over 18 months!

Hard to find an unlocked kit for that money - and within 18 months we're bound to start seeing LTE technology kicking in somewhere ......... so we'll be off buying some other new gadget!! ;)

Beam me up Scotty!

^^ What he said ^^

And what I said about 7 posts back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

^^^^ agreed with this! ^^^ (2 threads up!)
    plus you have no warranty, support etc with an unofficial unlocked iPhone.
    Never thought I'd say it but the o2 prices and tarriffs are (now!) good. In fact I'd be updating to a 3g one if I didn't have a work phone.

Plus, to elaborate on 120_Minutes's post and Basquiles post, wont you also have to sign up for a direct debit for 18 months on top of all that.

OK - I will ....... explain myself, that is!!

I checked my current usage versus the O2 tariffs for the iPhone ........ 'cos I was told that they're not as competitive as they might be, and I suspect that there's some Scottish lineage on one or other side of the family!!:D

I found that the O2 package for €65 per month will cost me circa €5 per month extra compared to my current monthly bill.

Therefore the calculation I use is:

iPhone 169
    18 * €5 extra 90
    Total Cost 259 ........... that's over 18 months!

Hard to find an unlocked kit for that money - and within 18 months we're bound to start seeing LTE technology kicking in somewhere ......... so we'll be off buying some other new gadget!! ;)

Beam me up Scotty!

i suppose thats one way of looking at it :D

doesnt work if you have an existing contract that you cant break without paying it out tho

Simon201 wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say it but the o2 prices and tarriffs are (now!) good. In fact I'd be updating to a 3g one if I didn't have a work phone.

no warranty? says who?

and support from who? O2 :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I just looked at the upgrade contract I signed - it says 12 months rather than 18 months. Mistake I'm sure. But I wonder am I the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Simon201 wrote: »

Depends on where you buy it but this goes for any phone. For example ppl who bought their iPhones in o2 up north have the same warrenty as anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

http://shop.o2.co.uk/info/?cm_re=HeroBanner-_-Shop-_-iphone3GLaunch

O2 have some new phones today, any new news about Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No 16GB though!!

A lot more from the 25th that seems to be the same here hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Depends on where you buy it but this goes for any phone. For example ppl who bought their iPhones in o2 up north have the same warrenty as anybody.

If you unlock or jailbreak an iPhone warranty is invalidated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement