Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

eamon234 wrote: »
    If you unlock or jailbreak an iPhone warranty is invalidated

This was kinda my point although there are reports on the web of people bringing back broken unlocked/unactivated/jailbroken iPhones to Apple Stores and getting good results. My USA bought iPhone got dropped a while back and I attempted a 'self service repair' as per the Apple support pages and after describing the problem they sent me a brand new dock! err.. well that didn't do any thing so I sent the dock back. I was hoping they'd do the thing where they send the empty box thing by courier and I send the iPhone back, try my luck, figured I had nothing to lose. But there is no option to do that without phoning the support lines. I didn't get round to that cos I decided to try a 'real' self service repair - ie I took it apart myself and fixed it. (it was one of the connectors to the logic board that had come adrift)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Any idea what the fine for breaking o2's iphone contract is? i know it says you sign up for 18 month direct debit, but what would happen if you closed account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

phill106 wrote: »
    Any idea what the fine for breaking o2's iphone contract is? i know it says you sign up for 18 month direct debit, but what would happen if you closed account :)
    You'll finish out your 18 month contract payments I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

How come there is no petition to demand Unlimited data on O2's Iphone plans, access like UK and America?
    No lobby or emailing to Steve Jobs (even Fake Steve Jobs) to see what the hell the deal is?

The network is more than capable of doing it (as visable that is doing so up North). Is this just another example or Rip Off Ireland or is there some fact I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea 1GB is a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

..dude, have you any idea how long it would take you to rack up 1gb of data? If you have wifi in your home, seriously not gonna happen. Most home BB connections have a cap of 10gb, so on a mobile device 1gb is loads.
    On my first gen iPhone I had a 256mb a month tarrif for 7 euro/month, and couldn't exceed this - even with 3g, I can't see myself coming anywhere near 1gb on the phone network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Last time I looked the O2 forums said they were thinking about removing or re-thinking the limitation. It has been said and repeated here and on their board that the 1GB limit is really hard to reach, with my 1st gen iPhone I barely exceed the 200 mark and I use it a lot! Definitely a bad marketing decision there, I think, it wouldn't have hurt to just say it was unlimited and let people never notice they were using f##k all data... But at least they seem willing to listen to people who have complained, even though it's not all that quick to appear...

Can the Iphone not be used as a 3G modem simalar to nokias?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

phill106 wrote: »

Let's think ahead a bit here guys - breaking the contract could potentially end up on some form of credit record in the future ............ sorry honey, I canx'd a mobile account back in 2007 and now we're looking for a sub-prime mortgage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Villain wrote: »
    Can the Iphone not be used as a 3G modem simalar to nokias?

Answer is no!

• Advertisement

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Let's think ahead a bit here guys - breaking the contract could potentially end up on some form of credit record in the future ............ sorry honey, I canx'd a mobile account back in 2007 and now we're looking for a sub-prime mortgage!!

not just that but you will be liable for the 18 months of tariffs so if thats 45 a month, thats €810 that o2 will send its debt reclaim team after, non payment will result in it being passed to their legal team resulting in a court appearance or non-appearance plus the court siding with o2 that you owe the money either way.

cianclarke wrote: »
    ..dude, have you any idea how long it would take you to rack up 1gb of data? If you have wifi in your home, seriously not gonna happen. Most home BB connections have a cap of 10gb, so on a mobile device 1gb is loads.
    On my first gen iPhone I had a 256mb a month tarrif for 7 euro/month, and couldn't exceed this - even with 3g, I can't see myself coming anywhere near 1gb on the phone network.

the only problem I would really have with using the 1gb in a month might be that the battery wouldn't last that long each day for me to use it. :D

Rob_l wrote: »
    Answer is no!

Woooo seriously??

You can't connect it to a laptop using bluetooth or cable and use it as a modem??

Jesus even my old 6310i can do that, might have to seriously reconsider buying it then, thats a huge drawback for me.

My Nokia E65 can do it so easily and speed is pretty good

Woooo seriously??

You can't connect it to a laptop using bluetooth or cable and use it as a modem??

Jesus even my old 6310i can do that, might have to seriously reconsider buying it then, thats a huge drawback for me.

Srsly...
    Unofficially, there were ways with the first gen iPhone, and once the jailbreak arrives for this one I'd imagine it'll be the same case.

Thats a crazy ommision, Nokia should be advertising this strong on their N95 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

O2 UK will get second stock update on 25th of July, I'm really pissed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Hey folks,

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but games have begun to appear on the app store this morning.

No monkey ball yet though.

Woooo seriously??

mehhhhh
    my old sony ericsson could do it still it was a crap phone and a feature i never used

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but games have begun to appear on the app store this morning.

No monkey ball yet though.

Im still not seeing anything in the games section of the app store

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

From the 02 forums - http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=511

Re: New iPhone Stock
    The demand for the iPhone 3G has been fantastic not just here but all over the world. Unfortunately as you have seen the initial demand for the iPhone 3G was greater than the available supply and some customers have been unable to get the iPhone 3G they wanted. We are working closely with Apple to ensure a regular flow of new stock into Ireland over the coming weeks and we are confident that anyone that wants an iPhone will get one very soon, even if the stock availability continues to be limited. As I have mentioned in the previous post I will be updating this thread as new stock becomes available. Your patience is really appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

- sounds like we'll be waiting a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Rob_l wrote: »
    Im still not seeing anything in the games section of the app store

Yea, i have no games in the game section.
    Maybe he meant the scribble app?

OK Folks, super monkey ball is here! :D

It's not appearing in the app store, but you can still access the page direct and DL using this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=281966695&mt=8

Also, here's crash bandicoot - haven't tried this:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285005463&mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

photo.jpg

Folks, I'm not making it up.

In the app store on the iphone, go to categories, and then into games. Even though the count says 0, there's about 10 there.

This is with an irish itunes account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yep there is some appearing in the App store on the device itself and even some appearing in the store in iTunes now. Whats is interesting is that different games are showing in Itunes compared to the App store on the device.

At least it looks like the problem is getting sorted.

Also the direct links do work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Cool, thaks for the update..

Does anyones screen flicker when you lock your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

ACW wrote: »
    How come there is no petition to demand Unlimited data on O2's Iphone plans, access like UK and America?
    No lobby or emailing to Steve Jobs (even Fake Steve Jobs) to see what the hell the deal is?

The network is more than capable of doing it (as visable that is doing so up North). Is this just another example or Rip Off Ireland or is there some fact I am missing?

Just check other countries.

O2 Ireland has one of the best tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My apologies if this is the umpteen time this question has been asked...could I buy the iphone 3G 8GB in Northern Ireland and not take out a contact? My girlfriend is at me to get it for her, it won't be available down here for a couple of weeks. If I got it without a contact could I unlock it and use it as a ready to go phone?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

stephen p wrote: »
    My apologies if this is the umpteen time this question has been asked...could I buy the iphone 3G 8GB in Northern Ireland and not take out a contact? My girlfriend is at me to get it for her, it won't be available down here for a couple of weeks. If I got it without a contact could I unlock it and use it as a ready to go phone?

Thanks!!

See this thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56598598

One of the guys is planning a road trip to Italy and i'll be selling 2 of them on ebay shortly:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

stephen p wrote: »

Thanks!!
    No PAYG in UK (or Ireland) 'till later in the year (Christmas was mentioned last week?).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement