Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Got my 3G iPhone today, o2 center in Waterford got in an order :D

Was in there on Tuesday and they said that they wouldn't have them again for another 3 weeks! So I didn't bother putting my name down.

Rang today and said they'll have more next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChrisMcG5

I placed an order for the iphone at O2 grafton street on the first of July and I am still wating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChrisMcG5

sorry typo in previous comment, meant still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

corklegend wrote: »
    Yep me too. Got a 16Gig Black in Cork O2 shop Patrick St. Missed out last week, as was too low down the preorder list. Got a ring today saying they got a shipment yesterday and would i like one. Happy days. Asked in the shop and they said they got 20 8gigs and 11 16gigs. It's sincing right next to me as I type
    I got a call at 10:30 telling me the phone was in stock. I got a Black 16G, and nicely enough, the Silcone case I had gotten for my first-gen iPhone fits the new one too. And believe me, the silicon case is a must-have.
    Cremo wrote: »
    what's 3g coverage like, solid enough?

is the new speaker and microphone better for the ringer?

anyone know what the screw at the bottom is for, apple hate screws shown on outside of phones.
    digitaldr wrote: »
    Maps are just google maps ones so need wifi/edge/3g on. Screws help to hold case together.

3g coverage in Dublin seems ok. Never had 1st gen so can't comment on ringer
    Well O2's 3G coverage has never been too great out by my house so I cant really judge.

I've made a habit to turn on the vibration alert on any phone I have, because more often than not, I wont hear the ringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

lanod2407 wrote: »
    One would hope that this omission can be overcome????
    Why would you not be able to use it as a modem
    Jeez, the cheapest brick you can buy these days works as a modem! Wonder what the logic is behind that one - "We do not want you using any other equipment - the iPhone will not be a slave device to a laptop"!!! ......... say it in a robotic monotone - sounds more convincing!!!:D:pac:

To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't see it being too high up on the features list at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

So um. Is it yet possible to "jailbreak" and unlock the 3G iPhone?

If not, will any normal O2 sim card work in a new iPhone here?

Don't kill me. I honestly don't know. I'm not savvy on these things.

THANKS! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

TrueDub wrote: »
    My reading was that it would jailbreak, but not unlock. Caution required.

At the moment it will jailbreak and unlock first gen iphones running 1.2.0 firmware (latest)
    But it will only jailbreak 3G Iphones

No unlock currently available for the 3g iphone ( although a Brazilian company has released a video of an unlocked iphone but no confirmation and even then they say it uses a sim adaptor probably similar to those used on 1.1.2 first gen iphones and they admit signal is patchy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Cheers!

Will any normal O2 sim card work in a new iPhone here?

I'm buying a sim free 3G iPhone, but I'm on meteor. I don't mind switching to O-poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

womoma wrote: »
    Cheers!

Will any normal O2 sim card work in a new iPhone here?

I'm buying a sim free 3G iPhone, but I'm on meteor. I don't mind switching to O-poo.

Where do you plan to get that? Any of the 16gb ones on o2 are selling for around 900 on ebay :(.

For those who are curious the o2 pay & go sim cards work in the o2 bill iphone 3g's, I tried it out on my bro's.

By the way, Pwnage tool 2.0 is out for osx only at the moment, http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Anybody jailbreak a 3g yet?
    Won't work for me, won't enter DFU mode.
    When I manually do it and try to restore the phone with the firmware that was built I get an error 6 in itunes and have to restore to original 2.0?
    Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

got it sorted.
    If anyone need help with their 3G give us a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

Can't imagine many will jailbreak the 3G until it includes sim unlocking, very little incentive given the number of legal apps now available.

Even when they manage to unlock the sim, the contract free prices where available seem so high as to make it a less attractive option.

I predict unlocking has had its day and will remain the preserve of the technologically curious from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

sham69 wrote: »
    got it sorted.
    If anyone need help with their 3G give us a shout.

I jailbroke my 3g but my phone stopped being a phone, it wouldn't pick up any reception and the operator settings were gone, did this happen to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I bought an iPhone 3G with O2 but just wondering where the 02 network settings are stored. Maybe they are hidden? does anyone know?

If you jailbreak the 3g does it give installer?
    Will installer and appstore play nicely together?
    I'd gladly jailbreak to get last.fm scrobbling, SSH and terminal back. The app store will never cut it, it's a f*cking joke tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Neat little tip I found regarding the 2.0 firmware.

To take a screenshot at any time, press and hold the Home button and then quickly tap the Power button (on top), your iPhone scren will flash white for a split second. A screenshot will then be placed in your camera roll.

Neat-o! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Its working fine now, a bit of advice: if you jailbrake an iphone 3g be sure to deselect the option to activate the phone in pwnage tool.

Apparently Installer.app has not been ported to the new firmware yet, what you do get is a program called Cydia which is based on the apt packaging system from debian linux, there are not nearly as many apps for Cydia as there were for installer, but all the old apps are basically obsolete anyway.
    OpenSSH is working and I was able to install nes.app and a couple of games.

Sorry for the late reply folks.
    As eddie has already said there is no installer yet only cydia which is a bit of a pain as you can't add sources to it. Have the NES app but no roms, gonna have to use iphone browser and drop them in to a folder I think.
    Not much to download at the moment but hopefully it will get better.
    No problems with the phone since I jailbroke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Is anyone else having problems adding apps ? I added a few fine last monday, but since Friday I haven't been able to download a single one. I get a message saying "App store unable to process purchases at this time". I have tried it on EDGE, Wifi and hooked up to a computer, for free and non-free apps, and the password it right... Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Anyone got any idea when the next batch of iPhones are coming? I'm still waiting on a preorder since July 11th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I've been #6 on the waiting list for the past week ............ wonder if its because none came in, or does telling someone they're #6 on a waiting list mean they'll hang tough for a bit longer than they would if told "it'll be weeks"??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

What's the difference between "unlocking" & "jailbreak"? :o

Regards

Homer S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

unlocking lets you use different sims (e.g. Meteor, vodafone) in the phone. Jailbreaking lets you install programs on the phone.

cianclarke wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't see it being too high up on the features list at the moment.
    So.. That haxxed 3G tethering? They've already managed, to do it, hehe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I was on list in Castlebar and they rang yesterday to say they got some but I got one on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

vote4pedro wrote: »
    As I'm travelling to the States next week, is it possible to buy an iPhone 3g in an apple store there, without signing a contract in the store, so I could then bring it home and use it with an Irish sim? Im finding contradictory info on a few sites I've been checking??

Just to clarify a few things about buying one in the states.

As Basquille said you need the following:

* Credit card
    * Social security number
    * Valid government-issued photo ID
    * Current wireless account number and password or PIN
    * INSTORE CREDIT CHECK

There the last of which doesn't seem to be coming up at all in any forums or the rules on Apple.com

The credit check is performed instore before the sale. Meaning that tourists have absolutely no chance of being able to pick one up as credit history takes months and years to build up.

Two outcomes come from this:
    I) You pass the check, and can walk away with an iphone

II) You fail (or have no credit history), and you can still walk away with iphone. But you must pay an advanced deposit of $500 upfront to buy it. So on the day of the sale you must pay $500 deposit, $299 (or $199 for phone), registration fee $39, first months bill the lowest of which is around $69.

Then on top of all that you cant cancel the contract within the first 30 days without handing the iphone straight back to the store.

And finally is the icing on the cake. If you do cancel after 30 days you must pay the early termination fee (ETF) of $175 and also loose the initial $500 deposit as you didn't complete your contract.

Also the pay as you go iphone is not available for a few months in the states so it cant be bought over the counter yet.
    I spoke with a sales associate in the At&t store and they said it wont be available until at lease Sept to Nov.

Hope this helps anybody going to the states realize its not worth the hassle at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Carbide

This looks scary: http://www.i4u.com/article19121.html

Probably not true though...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

O2 in Bray called me today, they reckon no 16gb till September. Probably just as well since I'm broke atm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

poukai wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems adding apps ? I added a few fine last Monday, but since Friday I haven't been able to download a single one. I get a message saying "App store unable to process purchases at this time". I have tried it on EDGE, Wifi and hooked up to a computer, for free and non-free apps, and the password it right... Any ideas ?
    No-one ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement