Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Not at the moment. Their website refers you to retail shops.
    swingking wrote: »
    Is the 3g iphone available to buy online from o2.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

So what are the risks when buying an iPhone 3G off eBay? I mean other then getting a box full of sand, obviously, are there chances that the phone could be bricked at a later stage as it was never out on a contract?

I bought one off ebay no probs. The chances of it being permanently bricked through software in the future are extremely slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if i was to buy one here in the states would i be able to use all the features besides the phone features until such time as a programme comes out to unlock the sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if i was to buy one here in the states would i be able to use all the features besides the phone features until such time as a programme comes out to unlock the sim?
    Would you be activating it is the States with an AT&T sim card. Maybe the sim could be left in it when you get back here and use it only on WiFi?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The only thing mine allowed me to do before I activated the sim, was make emergency calls.
    Didn't get the main menu at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

When I collected my 3G iphone the girl in O2 said that if I put a prepay O2 sim in my old iPhone it would work.
    Can anyone confirm this?

CivilEx wrote: »
    Would you be activating it is the States with an AT&T sim card. Maybe the sim could be left in it when you get back here and use it only on WiFi?

well i was goin to get one off ebay so i wouldnt have the contract or at&t sim not sure if it would be activated or not

thanks dades ill just wait for it to get unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I bought a 3g model off ebay last week. It was pretty much sealed with the receipt in the box.

When i connected it to itunes it prompted me to register which i selected 'later' and then it functioned as usual. It had been activated to at&t so when i put in my sim it said 'sim locked'

All the other features are usable including wifi.

To be honest I figured a software sim unlock would have been out by now but theres no sign of it and the iphone dev blog are not even providing updates on the progress of the 3g unlock.

I hope its around the corner but i'm not holding my breath.

ye i have found ones on ebay.ie from the uk which are unlocked out of the box they are pretty cheap at the moment but the auction is young so ill keep an eye on that

bit of a waste buying one in england the one time im in the states though :p

ireally really want this though

how is everyone finding the gps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

carphone warehouse at the back of tescos in killarney have 3 iphones in stock, i just got myself a black 16g!! whey hey :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Hang in there guy, there will be one soon.

I bought a 3g model off ebay last week. It was pretty much sealed with the receipt in the box.

When i connected it to itunes it prompted me to register which i selected 'later' and then it functioned as usual. It had been activated to at&t so when i put in my sim it said 'sim locked'

All the other features are usable including wifi.

To be honest I figured a software sim unlock would have been out by now but theres no sign of it and the iphone dev blog are not even providing updates on the progress of the 3g unlock.

I hope its around the corner but i'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Hi all, The most promising word on Iphone stock came today from 02.co.uk.

This link show over 100stores had recieved stock this morning so thsy must be on their way to Ireland too.
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/info/?cm_re=HeroBanner-_-Shop-_-iphone3GLaunch

I have been on to o2 and stock should be coming in soon maybe monday of next week.

This is all speculation but fairly promising speculation at that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well stock is coming into Ireland just in small ammounts, I will have mine tomorrow, a friend works in CPW and she got a call today to say some had come in and she was holding 1 black 16gb for me so small ammounts but they are coming and the funny thing is I called a few stores today and asked if they had any and they all said no and they didn't know when they were getting them but my mate in CPW was able to tell me last friday that she would have one for me by Friday.

So either they don't want to tell people incase they don't arrive or they don't want 30 or 40 people coming in and saying "you said they would be in today" etc. Looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Irish €45 tariff =175mins & 100 texts :(
    UK £35/€44 tariff = 600mins & 500 texts:)

... Is it really worth it :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

€45=£35 You could say that about any of the irish tariffs iPhone or not. My O2 bill was about 40 a month for 150/100 and no data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Is the iphone in O2 or CPW €299 for 8GB and then €45 a month or how much is it to buy the phone? I don't understand the price plans online.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/page.php/iphone3g says its starts from €49 but O2.ie says €299??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

stephen p wrote: »
    Is the iphone in O2 or CPW €299 for 8GB and then €45 a month or how much is it to buy the phone? I don't understand the price plans online.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/page.php/iphone3g says its starts from €49 but O2.ie says €299??
    €229 is the most you can pay thats on 16gb on the lowest tarrif i.e. €45 a month, the 8gb on the lowest tarrif is €169

see: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/More%20info/3G+iPhone?pagedesign=O2_PRES_moreInfoPopup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Villain wrote: »
    €229 is the most you can pay thats on 16gb on the lowest tarrif i.e. €45 a month, the 8gb on the lowest tarrif is €169

see: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/More%20info/3G+iPhone?pagedesign=O2_PRES_moreInfoPopup

Thanks for that!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

They also take your upgrade status into account - got the 16 gig for €169 on the €45 a month tarrif with my gold upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Picked mine up from O2 in Bray yesterday. Also got a 16gb for €169 on a gold upgrade which was the first good surprise I've had in relation to the whole iPhone supply saga!
    the only thing I'm having difficulty with is the App Store, if I scroll down to the bottom, it says "No Account" and when I try to get a (free) app e.g. Facebook, it asks for my account details, which I enter, then I get the following popup:
    "Your account is only valid for purchases in the Ireland iTunes Store."
    So how do I connect to the Irish store as opposed to whatever it is I'm connected to by default - all my other settings automatically assume I'm in Ireland, so I don't see why this is happening.
    I am in work and not hooked up to my home PC where I have my iPhone synced, so there's always the possibility that this is something that can only be rectified by PC - ideas anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It'll use the account you were logged into in iTunes when you last synced it. AFAIK there's no way of logging into a different account on the iphone itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

st332 wrote: »
    the only thing I'm having difficulty with is the App Store, if I scroll down to the bottom, it says "No Account" and when I try to get a (free) app e.g. Facebook, it asks for my account details, which I enter, then I get the following popup:
    "Your account is only valid for purchases in the Ireland iTunes Store."
    I've just started mucking with the apps store too, and didn't know what username and password they were looking for. As digitaldr said, turns out it was looking for my iTunes info - that is email and password.

Sorry - can't help you with that error though!

Oddly though I had no probs over 3G, but when I downloaded an app in iTunes and tried to synch it I got some other error.

I've always feckin hated iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

I will be in Australia in Sept. If I bought the 3g Iphone from Opus if whatever the carrier is called and got it unlock in the store for a fee, would it work as a prepay phone when i got back to Ireland? Would future software updates lock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 simplythebest20

well guys. I got my 16gb iphone two day ago. They are gonna be in stock eveywhere pretty soon. I was talking to some dude in CPW and appenrently the first month they only get one or two per week and suddently they get 40. I pre ordered mine three weeks ago from 02 and was number 10 one the list. Have to say its amazing. Kicks the ass off Nokia N95 and all that. Super Monkey Ball is amazing and all the software is cool from Itunes. Youtube works a wonder and the GPS works really well compared to the N95. In fact everything on the iphone stands up to expectations. I am really drunk right now.

If anyone has any questions regarding the iphone wating list send me a pm. I cant read through all this crap. There is a big shippment coming next week so youll defo get one then.

Massive respect to the iphone nerds.

Here is a cool link on how to make your Iphone ring tones. Made loads today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf65uChjlfM

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Here is a cool link on how to make your Iphone ring tones. Made loads today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf65uChjlfM

this is soo cool!!! thx man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

There is a free online prog called Audiko for making ringtones here http://audiko.net/en.html best way is to make sure the sound/song clip/whatever is 20secs long. Any longer and I have found it doesn't work. I just need to try and find out how to make sms tones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Izy wrote: »

Unfortunately doesn't work for iPhone 3G or firmware 2.0 with iTune 7.7. The Ringtone appears in the iTunes Ringtone folder but when you sync, it does not appear on your iPhone. Apple have done something in the new software to restrict ringtones to one purchased through iTunes.

I'm sure people will figure a workaround so if anyone knows, please spread the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Why doesn't the iPhone have the same tariffs as every other phone on 02? Is it because of the 1GB data? I'd actually buy one if there was a €35 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Izy wrote: »

This only works for me if I open the resulting file and re-export it in mono with QuickTime (pro). Might as well do the whole thing in QT in this case.

On a mac/iTunes 7.7/iPhone 1st gen/firmware 2.0/jailbroken

(ok - edit)
    actually works if I delete the shortened/converted to aac file from the main itunes music library (after copying to my desktop or wherever) and then do the re-import into the ringtones section of itunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Unfortunately doesn't work for iPhone 3G or firmware 2.0 with iTune 7.7. The Ringtone appears in the iTunes Ringtone folder but when you sync, it does not appear on your iPhone. Apple have done something in the new software to restrict ringtones to one purchased through iTunes.

I'm sure people will figure a workaround so if anyone knows, please spread the word!

It works perfectly for me. I just made three ringtones in the last few minutes using this method and they're working perfectly on my iphone 3g

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement