Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

is it that hard to get one any way tell us your storys on how you got one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

theres a big thread for this already me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

The Audiko site has worked with no probs for me. I have a playlist in iTunes called Ringtones and I add any I make to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

are iphone tarriffs more expensive than normal O2 tarriffs? any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

are iphone tarriffs more expensive than normal O2 tarriffs? any examples?

The lowest one 175/100 isn't if you include the same amount of mobile data.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    The lowest one 175/100 isn't if you include the same amount of mobile data.

don't know why but your post confused me even more :o

from looking at o2.ie it looks like the tarriffs are about €10 dearer with an iphone?

don't know why but your post confused me even more :o

Maybe you should compare the price plans yourself. Its pretty obvious. Ordinary plan includes no data. iPhone plan includes 1GB. Price to add 250MB to your plan is €7.50 So thats

€35 + (€7.50 x 4) = €65

BostonB wrote: »
    Maybe you should compare the price plans yourself. Its pretty obvious.

sure we might as well close down boards considering we have google :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Has anyone got an iPhone in the last day or two? I'm flying out to London tomorrow from Dublin and was wondering is there any chance of picking one up in a Carphone Warehouse anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Dman001 wrote: »
    Why doesn't the iPhone have the same tariffs as every other phone on 02? Is it because of the 1GB data? I'd actually buy one if there was a €35 plan.

Partially because of the 1GB data plan included but also because part of the €45 is a kickback to Apple. O2 don't have to do that with other phone makers.

sure we might as well close down boards considering we have google :pac:

Don't see why you'd google something thats pretty clear on O2's website.
    What is difficult about it? Phone plans are all along the lines of...

Included talktime to other phones/networks
    Included texts to other phones/networks
    Included data/internet access

175/100/0 for €35 (you can add 250MB + €7.50)
    175/100/1GB for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Has anyone used Exchange mail on the Iphone 3G, I can get it to verify but it keeps saying password is incorrect although it has connected and pulled down the folder names???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anybody know if there is a virginize solution for the jailbreak with winPWN if I need to get some warranty repairs done, to remove evidence of a jailbreae?

Thanks

Villain wrote: »
    Has anyone used Exchange mail on the Iphone 3G, I can get it to verify but it keeps saying password is incorrect although it has connected and pulled down the folder names???
    Ah just fixed it myself, needed a \ instead of a /

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Has anyone got an iPhone in the last day or two? I'm flying out to London tomorrow from Dublin and was wondering is there any chance of picking one up in a Carphone Warehouse anywhere?

just was into all the shops in dublin city centre and they're all saying next week they should have em in. anyone know of anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

What's the best (free) program out there for converting divx/xvid/avi files to watch on the iphone 3g- most of the options look a bit dodgy, does anyone have any good experiences with any of them?

st332 wrote: »
    What's the best (free) program out there for converting divx/xvid/avi files to watch on the iphone 3g- most of the options look a bit dodgy, does anyone have any good experiences with any of them?

Good question been looking myself, best I can find is http://www.videohelp.com/tools/3GP_Converter

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

I use Videora, which is free and works well but slowly (approx 30 mins to convert a 350MB file).

I also just got WinAVI MP4 which seems to work very well but it's not free ... *coughs bittorrent* :P

I use Videora on my iPod. I never really cared if it was slow. I just queue files up overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Handbrake.

It's good and it's free (as in GPL as well as cost).

It has default setups for converting for iPhone/iPod so it should fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

+1 for handbrake.

excellent software. better on the mac than pc, but still great either way.

personally, i use this program without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Spike440 wrote: »
    I use Videora, which is free and works well but slowly (approx 30 mins to convert a 350MB file).

the speed of conversion is based on how powerful your pc is, it's not videora's fault it takes you so long to convert a file. My quad core pc with four gigs of ram does a 700mb movie in 11 minutes

If your having problems making free ring tones with Itunes 7.7 and Iphone 3G like I was this works, I have done several:
    Ringtone must be less than 30 seconds long. I'm also assuming its something other than AAC (wav, mp3 etc)
    Add your soon-to-be ringtone to iTunes.
    Right click it and "Get Info". On Info tab, ensure only the Name field is populated. Anything else in other fields will prevent it showing on the phone.
    Ensure your Preferences/Advanced/Importing/Import Using is set to AAC Encoder. Also check on the General tab that Ringtones is checked.
    Right click on your soon-to-be ringtone and "Convert Selection to AAC".
    Find the newly converted file using Windows Explorer. On Vista mine wind up in "c:\users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album".
    Rename the file from .m4a to .m4r
    Remove the file from within iTunes as we are about to reimport it.
    Drag the file from the above directory back into iTunes. It should now appear under the Library\Ringtones folder.
    Perform a sync. The ringtone should now show under the ringtones settings under a new "Custom" section at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I use Super, (get it here) also very useful for converting other things, like extracting the sound from Youtube videos like converting audio formats. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Anyone have info regarding the supply position on the 3G iphone?

I've been number 6 in my local 02 store for several weeks now and it's beginning to become "unfunny"!! I'm becoming convinced that #6 may be a standard response - too far away to raise high expectations and close enough to keep me interested!:rolleyes:

Dropped into another store over the weekend and asked about the waiting list - she had 45 people waiting for the black 16GB, and told me I'd be waiting until end September at the earliest!

I'm beginning to smell a rotten Apple here .......... "How do we get Christmas out of the 3G launch hype! Keep it in short supply for 6 months!"

Anyone else finding this is a bit like "Friends" -- entertaining at first, but then starts to get on your tits!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

supplies will be made available over the next 7 days from what i can tell although carphone warehouse are saying september, i don't think this is accurate.
    according to at&t they sold twice the amount of iphones they did at launch last time, i would imagine this is reflected world wide and that's why stock levels are so poor.

Based on what other people are saying in this thread the best option seems to be ring around all the shops, as some of the less busy stores seem to have stock from time to time, where others just have long waiting lists. I can't decide if I want an iPhone tbh. I'd like a PDA/Phone but I'd like a better camera with flash and decent battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

A friend of mine who works in CPWH said only 180 Iphones came to Ireland.
    I have rang around everywhere and everyone seems to be sick of answering the same question.
    They all say we should have stock in a week.....that was a week ago and they are stilll saying a week. Standard reply!
    The truth is they havent a clue and apple do not prioratise Ireland.
    The Uk got a huge consignment but they have 60million people living there we have just over 4million.
    If i ran apple i would feed the brits their Iphones first....it makes economic sense.
    So to the little people of Ireland good luck on youre quest for your Iphone but it may be a while:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

A mate got a 3G that he wants to unblock - I've gone through this thread and cannot find anything that says it can definitiely be unblocked - and how .......... is there a way to unblock it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement