Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The trackball in the middle of by blackberry has stopped working so I need a new phone ASAP, as a bit of a Mac geek its gotta be an iphone.

I went into a few carphone warehouses in town over the weekend, and they all told me they don't do waiting lists and to check this thread.

Its a pity Boards does not get some commission out of commercial shops using Boards to get orders together!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lanod2407 wrote: »
    A mate got a 3G that he wants to unblock - I've gone through this thread and cannot find anything that says it can definitiely be unblocked - and how .......... is there a way to unblock it?

http://gizmodo.com/5025249/iphone-3g-unlocked-with-sim-card-adapter

uses Turbo Sim, afaik there is not yet a software unlock. btw www.google.ie is an amazing tool you should think about using it.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I can confirm that a first generation iPhone 2.0 will work as 'Pay as you go' on O2, just needs activation again through iTunes. The App Store works also and some apps I had bought work on both my new and old phones even though I only purchased once (e.g. Super Monkey Ball). Internet on Edge works too without any adjusting of settings or buying of addons which is a surprise. I'll try Bitbuzz later and see if it will let the old phone on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya i got my iphone by going into a cpwh and said do you have a 16gb iphone and i just got it like that and cant belave i was so lookey whant in to o2 and told 3 manths for a iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

xbox36016 wrote: »
    ya i got my iphone by going into a cpwh and said do you have a 16gb iphone and i just got it like that and cant belave i was so lookey whant in to o2 and told 3 manths for a iphone

Pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

igot my i phone 3g last weak in only 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm really looking forward to them being more available. It means that people will stop whinging about availability and actually use this thread for talking about the phone!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

xbox36016 wrote: »
    igot my i phone 3g last weak in only 10 mins

I think what he meant was don't use text speak. It makes your post look well....teenage.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to them being more available. It means that people will stop whinging about availability and actually use this thread for talking about the phone!!! :)

i was thinking the exact opposite - that i wish more people would give heads up on the iphone availability...

maybe the thread could be split?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Villain wrote: »
    If your having problems making free ring tones with Itunes 7.7 and Iphone 3G like I was this works, I have done several:

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I finally figured out what was causing my ringtone to fail to sync. Just so happens, the ringtone I created had underscores in the name and this caused the sync to fail. Once I renamed the track with no underscores, it sync'd over perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

How is everyone getting on with data usage. nearly three weeks gone and I have only used about 200MB of the 1GB allowance. Haven't been restricting myself either, have ActiveSync running and I get a large amount of e-mail, downloaded a good few apps and browsed the web on the commute on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How can you see the usage apart from all time usage info on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

You can see you exact data usage by logging into your 02.ie account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm on meteor and would really love an iphone. Does anybody know how long it will be before the sim free version is released?
    Sorry if this has been asked before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Unfortunately, odds are it won't be BrynW.

And bear in mind that if it is, it'll be pretty damn expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

16gb White ipods available in CPW on henry street.

Nearly bought one but they do look *that* gay

basquille wrote: »
    Unfortunately, odds are it won't be BrynW.

And bear in mind that if it is, it'll be pretty damn expensive.

Dammit :mad:
    Are they difficult to unlock?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

penexpers wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on with data usage.
    1GB will do me till Christmas methinks!

Have been using just webpages, Gmail and the odd app and have only scratched the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BrynW wrote: »
    Dammit :mad:
    Are they difficult to unlock?
    3G iPhones aren't difficult to unlock.. but unlike the 1st Gen iPhone, they don't currently have a method of activating them (so they can be used on a mobile network to make calls / texts).

So essentially you'll have a pricier iPod Touch for the time being (until this is resolved, which should be shortly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Villain wrote: »
    How can you see the usage apart from all time usage info on the phone?

*111# from your phone works too.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    16gb White ipods available in CPW on henry street.

Nearly bought one but they do look *that* gay

i dont think they look that bad, i'll take whatever i can get! I was just in CPW on Grafton Street and they got 4 in which sold out in about 10 mins! they checked the other stores for me and they said no one else had any left... :(

basquille wrote: »
    3G iPhones aren't difficult to unlock.. but unlike the 1st Gen iPhone, they don't currently have a method of activating them (so they can be used on a mobile network to make calls / texts).

So essentially you'll have a pricier iPod Touch for the time being (until this is resolved, which should be shortly).

Thanks for the help. Will give it a few weeks before i decide.....it's between an iphone and a samsung tocco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What battery life are you getting from the iPhone when you turn everything off and just use it as a phone 2G etc. Or an iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

BostonB wrote: »
    What battery life are you getting from the iPhone when you turn everything off and just use it as a phone 2G etc. Or an iPod.

easily get 2 days out of it on EDGE (that's with phone use, ipod and some web browsing) and then just turn on the 3G and/or wireless when out and about for faster transfer. unless you're sucking down big emails or watching youtube or browsing constantly, there's really no need to have the 3G on.

give the iphone a few good cycles of discharge and fully recharging before you make judgement. the battery life is pox on anything new. i'm not sure how these batteries work but when they get a few cycles they perform better.

also, turn off the push email! you'll get more done in your day not have the phone beeping every 2 mins with a new email and the battery will last waaaaaay longer. turn on Fetch email or Manual instead. Do you really need to have your phone check for emails every hour??! it's a personal choice of course but being at the beck and call of a phone doesn't do it for me.

considering when it can do, i think the battery is great.

1gig is loads of data. I'm using it loads, and I've 891 left, due to reset in 2 days. Granted, I use WiFi mainly when I'm in home, and O2 had crap 3G signal pretty much everywhere I've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Unfortunately doesn't work for iPhone 3G or firmware 2.0 with iTune 7.7. The Ringtone appears in the iTunes Ringtone folder but when you sync, it does not appear on your iPhone. Apple have done something in the new software to restrict ringtones to one purchased through iTunes.

I'm sure people will figure a workaround so if anyone knows, please spread the word!
    i have a 3g and it works ;-) so as i sad thx man its cool

Apple need to hurry up with the software upgrade. For the umpteenth time, I now have to reinstall all my apps as they won't open. Irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Apple need to hurry up with the software upgrade. For the umpteenth time, I now have to reinstall all my apps as they won't open. Irritating.

Try changing you're iTunes password (there was an issue with apps and the iTunes authorization thingy). I couldn't open any app without it crashing straight away. Changed my iTunes password it fixed itself. Outside chance but it might be the same issue.

Dont install apps through your phone, if you only install them via iTunes you shouldnt have as many problems....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

Seconded. In fact, to prove the point Safari crashed midway through this post. The updated versions of many of the App Store apps that I've downloaded have helped somewhat with stability, but it's by far the buggiest Apple OS I've used and isn't a huge amount better than WinMo.
    Hoping that 2.1 release is imminent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement