Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone knows of the time they will go up at?

Probably wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

OCD wrote: »
    easily get 2 days out of it on EDGE (that's with phone use, ipod and some web browsing) and then just turn on the 3G and/or wireless when out and about for faster transfer. unless you're sucking down big emails or watching youtube or browsing constantly, there's really no need to have the 3G on.

give the iphone a few good cycles of discharge and fully recharging before you make judgement. the battery life is pox on anything new. i'm not sure how these batteries work but when they get a few cycles they perform better.

also, turn off the push email! you'll get more done in your day not have the phone beeping every 2 mins with a new email and the battery will last waaaaaay longer. turn on Fetch email or Manual instead. Do you really need to have your phone check for emails every hour??! it's a personal choice of course but being at the beck and call of a phone doesn't do it for me.

considering when it can do, i think the battery is great.

True. I'm used to a non 3G phone, my W810i lasts about 3 or 4 days now and its a year old. I wonder what the iPhone battery life will be after 6 months, or a 12months considering its a 18month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Theres a new application in the App Store called NetShare that allows you to use your iPhone as a modem for your Mac. See MacDailyNews.com for more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

have got netshare working with my macbook air. Absolutely brillant and really fast with a 3g connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I cant get it working with Vista....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Just rang O2 in Waterford, said they didn't get any stock today and weren't expecting any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

digiking wrote: »
    Should i get a call in the morning, or should i ring them 2nite.

I have my name on the list since last sat

I have my name on the list for the last three weeks so I wouldn't be too confident!

netshare has been pulled by apple from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Hey just wondering how everyone is finding their 3g reception on the iphone. I got an unlocked one (from Italy) on vodafone it has a very weak 3g signal and often switches to 2g in areas where I've had perfect 3g before. I've searched apple forums and seems to be a widespread problem. Gonna try an 02 and 3 sim see what its like. I'm hoping its a software glitch that can be fixed with an update

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stuck_200

Just strolled into O2 Blanchardstown and picked one up this morning, had about 40 in stock I was told, didn't look like they would last long though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I find 3G signal pretty crap to be honest. I'm in between 4 mast according to O2 so I shouldn't have any issues. As you've seen, from your searching, it seems to be an Apple issue not an O2 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are there any companies selling unlocked 3G iPhones ? (other than ebay) Thanks

Just tried a 3 sim there, 1 bar of 3g then went to no service, had to turn 3g off to get full 2g reception. Pretty disappointing. Hope its not a hardware issue...

Fungus wrote: »
    Are there any companies selling unlocked 3G iPhones ? (other than ebay) Thanks

Not that I know of, I'd say you will have to wait until the availability increases first this. Italy and Hong Kong sell them unlocked officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

3g signal is weaker then a N95 but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Stuck_200 wrote: »
    Just strolled into O2 Blanchardstown and picked one up this morning, had about 40 in stock I was told, didn't look like they would last long though

I presume you were on a waiting list, or it was an 8GB iPhone you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The O2 UK site lists all of the stores there that have stock. It'd be helpful if they did the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Just got a 16gb black one in o2 Blanchardstown Centre :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

Thank you board posters ! ! !

Have been lurking on this thread now for weeks waiting for news!

Cant believe I finally got an iphone 3 G ! ! ! !

Rang O2 Blanch earlier after i saw a post here & they said they only had 2 8 gigs left ! ! ! 'flew' across the M 50 from the south side ! ((dont know what the fuss is about ! what a great road <this could be the iphone ''elation'' talking> )) .. . .

I managed to get the last one. ! ! ''scoop'!' (not on any O2 list) so happy ! use a work phone ususally so set up my first ever bill account in minutes! Happy days! (fyi up to 30 mins ago there were 2 16 gigs left '' . . . . . . . ))

Now to go set it up!

Thanks

• Advertisement

How come people can just walk into o2 in Blanch and pick them up? I was in there last week and ur man said there was 250 people on the waiting list for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stuck_200

EI-DAV wrote: »
    I presume you were on a waiting list, or it was an 8GB iPhone you got?

Wasn't on the wait list, it appeared to be first come, first served

Stuck_200 wrote: »
    Wasn't on the wait list, it appeared to be first come, first served

Thats bad form on their part. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for anyone that manages to get an iPhone, but it just goes to show that o2 customer service with regard to this issue is a disgrace. I was told I would be called as soon as one became available for me and anyone on the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

Arathorn wrote: »
    Hey just wondering how everyone is finding their 3g reception on the iphone. I got an unlocked one (from Italy) on vodafone it has a very weak 3g signal and often switches to 2g in areas where I've had perfect 3g before. I've searched apple forums and seems to be a widespread problem. Gonna try an 02 and 3 sim see what its like. I'm hoping its a software glitch that can be fixed with an update

i'm not sure about the apple software but i know for fact that 2g antennas have a broader and longer range than 3g antennas so that's probably why you get a weak 3g signal. it takes many more 3g antenna to provide the same coverage as 2g antenna so if you use your iphone mainly as phone, turn off the 3g and make your calls over 2g. then turn on the 3g when you need it for data. you'll save the battery life too.

3g isn't all it's cracked up to be and the 2g network is much more stable and has had years of tweaking to make it almost perfect. all of the 3g networks in ireland are still relatively new.

OCD wrote: »
    i'm not sure about the apple software but i know for fact that 2g antennas have a broader and longer range than 3g antennas so that's probably why you get a weak 3g signal. it takes many more 3g antenna to provide the same coverage as 2g antenna so if you use your iphone mainly as phone, turn off the 3g and make your calls over 2g. then turn on the 3g when you need it for data. you'll save the battery life too.

3g isn't all it's cracked up to be and the 2g network is much more stable and has had years of tweaking to make it almost perfect. all of the 3g networks in ireland are still relatively new.

3g was perfect on my N95, I'm talking about it being so bad that calls are being dropped and txts aren't sending and data not working. Currently i'm just using it with 3g switched off which works ok but this isnt what I paid for. Also it appear this is happening in a lot of places on different networks. Since not everyone is experiencing this im thinking its faulty hardware on sosme devices. see here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1632695

• Registered Users Posts: 23 johnnyreb

Hi,
    how is everyone finding the GPS on the iphone 3G?
    I travelled from Cork to Dublin today and it wasn't very helpful.
    I only got the flashing blue dot/blue dot to show my position about 30% of the time. the rest of the time i either got a wide circle to show my location to about 20km a la the first generation iphone or i got nothing at all, not even a map.
    It seems to be that when you have no edge/3G/WIFI signal it can't download the map to show your position on which seems logical but silly. Sometimes i got a blue dot to show gps was working but no map???
    Is anyone having a similar experience? I thought that the iphone 3G would be able to pickup the satellite GPS without depending on cellular reception? I know it is assisted GPS and uses cellular towers but that is only for a quicker lockdown on position.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The GPS is next to useless without turn by turn, especially when city driving. I suspect we'll see some TomTom/Garmin software on the App Store before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

anyone know if any stores in Limerick, Killarney or Tralee have any in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone else experiencing REALLY long backups during syncs?

• Advertisement

well guys

just managed to get that netshare app before it was taken down. Just wondering is tethering to a laptop allowed under the 1 gb download limit with o2.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement