Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

Hmm. My order is also showing pending after 1.5 hours and no confirmation email. The initial excitement is fading fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Hi, I'm getting a friend to bring back an 8Gb i phone from the states. If i get this unlocked can i still download the applications???

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm getting a friend to bring back an 8Gb i phone from the states. If i get this unlocked can i still download the applications???

Thanks.

What price are the 8GBs in the States? Im over in NY in November so might pick one up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CJackson wrote: »
    What price are the 8GBs in the States? Im over in NY in November so might pick one up

You can't, not without also taking out an AT&T contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how? unless they are selling PAYG ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hi, I'm getting a friend to bring back an 8Gb i phone from the states.

Hows your friend going to manage that without signing a contract over there?

They're about $400. You don't need to sign a contract you can just buy the phone. You still need to get then unlocked which your not supposed to do but the person working in the store will tell u where to get it done.

Cyrus wrote: »
    how? unless they are selling PAYG ones?

I was just replying to Bren1609s post
    Bren1609 wrote:

Thanks.

What about downloading the applications? Does anyone know what effect this will have?

They're about $400. You don't need to sign a contract you can just buy the phone. You still need to get then unlocked which your not supposed to do but the person working in the store will tell u where to get it done.

By store do you mean an official Apple branch? Theres nothing on their sites about a contract-free phone being available :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just a quick question for anyone that has the 3g already. I have gone online to a few pages just to test connection speeds and the like. I have also gone onto YouTube, but when I went ontp o2.ie to check my available minutes it stated I hadn't touched my download amount. i.e full amount available to download. the minutes and texts were right so are o2 slow to calculate the data transfer or are some sites free?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you know it would serve a lot of people around here to do some (at least preliminary) research before posting. you are wrong. it used to be that way the iPhone 1.0 but with iPhone 2.0 there is no phone sold in the US without a contract with AT&T. You can go to Italy, France or Germany afaik and pick up one without a contract but you'll pay for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just an quick update:

As has been mentioned, Firmware 2.01 is now available which most notably fixes the slow typing of SMS messages and the slow backup times in iTunes. But it DOES NOT work with Pwnage yet.. they will be releasing a version shortly which will allow you to upgrade though.

And also a beta version of Installer 4.0 (that is compatible with 2.0) is also available. Instructions on where to download, and how to install it below:
    1. Available via download here and here.

2. Extract zip file.

3. SSH the Installer.app folder into your /Applications folder.

4. Run this command via terminal: chmod -R 777 /Applications/Installer.app

5. Also Run this command via terminal: chmod a+srx /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

6. Turn off your iPhone or iPod Touch and turn it back on.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Has anyone who got a phone online this morn got any e-mail since the confirmation e-mail?

I got the confirmation but my order is still pending since 9.15 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Yup, Same as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

I am still waiting for the email but can go into the track order page and it shows Pending. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

At least we're all in the same boat lads! I'll let ye know if I hear anything

Soes anyone know if you get the phone unlocked can you still download the applications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

Yep went on this morning got through the whole process of odering a black 16 gig iphone to find out that because I am a billpay customer I cannot order an iphone online, I instead have to go to a store which I have done on numerous occasions.

I am rather peeved to be treated again in such a shabby way by O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

you know it would serve a lot of people around here to do some (at least preliminary) research before posting. you are wrong. it used to be that way the iPhone 1.0 but with iPhone 2.0 there is no phone sold in the US without a contract with AT&T. You can go to Italy, France or Germany afaik and pick up one without a contract but you'll pay for it...
    This is true. I was in an Apple Store in San Francisco the other day buying an IPod and you most certainly cannot buy an iPhone without supplying your:
    • Social security number
    • Proof of address-bill etc
    • You also must pass a full credit check

So there's no way of getting the cheap price without signing a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Someone said last night to me that the iphone comes with a "soft sim" - i.e. no physical SIM Card. I know that this happens in the US quite a bit - but surely the iphone comes with a physical sim card??

Can someone confirm that he's wrong? - my mate, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the iPhone uses sim cards, you're friend is very wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

jishot wrote: »
    Yep went on this morning got through the whole process of odering a black 16 gig iphone to find out that because I am a billpay customer I cannot order an iphone online, I instead have to go to a store which I have done on numerous occasions.

I am rather peeved to be treated again in such a shabby way by O2.

could not agree with u more. ive ben with o2 bill pay for about 7 yrs now and am treated so badly. ive ben ringing the o2 stores and they practically laugh at me when i ask r there any iphones in stock. once o2 sign up all the new customers they couldnt care less about their exising customers. i am so tempted to cancel my contract with o2 over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This is pretty common these days with every sector. Existing customers and repeat business is not really valued. Your better off jumping around and getting the best deal where you can.

Could you cancel your contract and then re sign up as a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

was looking at buying one of these phones but tbh the Tariffs they are charging are just plain stupid i'm an O2 customer for more then 8 years and we have in are around 20+ mobiles yet they want you to go on a seperate tariff for this phone and a 18 month contract with high prices for call's and rental

Apple should of give this product to all mobile dealers not just a select few

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Got mine this morning in 02 Dundrum, havent played with it properly yet but I think it's great so far... the only small thing that annoys me is lack of message reports but perhaps that will come with a software update?

Mine seemed to come fully charged but its right down now.. I presume its supposed to be better battery life than that, will it improve after a couple of charge cycles?

Also can anyone reccomend any decent apps? Have only downloaded the facebook app and phonesaber so far (juvenile but fun!)

For those looking still, try Dundrum- they got a large shipment in, I was on the waiting list though- was also on two other ones and havent heard from them but will be calling to take my name off their lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My first charge was crap but has improved now a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

to all those people who got there iphone 3g s

have you made sure you are off all the other waiting lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

swingking wrote: »
    to all those people who got there iphone 3g s

have you made sure you are off all the other waiting lists?
    No. If I'm called I'm gonna ask my mates do they want it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Also can anyone reccomend any decent apps? Have only downloaded the facebook app and phonesaber so far (juvenile but fun!)

Shazam is cool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement