Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Heard a mention on Ian Dempsey that they are going to drop the O2 exclusivity thing? As in, the iPhone will be available to all networks. Any truth in this?

Wouldn't this be great....
    MeteoriPhone2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dmn wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be great....
    MeteoriPhone2.jpg

I would love to see that.. They actually might put together a decent price plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

What is the news on the in store activation in the US.
    I was going to buy one in the states and then unlock it over here and then choose who i sign up with. Can this not be done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh ffs talk about making me spit out my coffee. all i saw was the picture and was like :eek: although i dislike meteor for the ties with ericon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Samsung wrote: »
    What is the news on the in store activation in the US.
    I was going to buy one in the states and then unlock it over here and then choose who i sign up with. Can this not be done now?

Nope, can't be done now

O2 UK's PAYG is looking the best option at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

jpfahy wrote: »
    That'll be quite a while at 499

If O2 try to sell off the old iPhones at their current prices we'll still be seeing 16 GB iPhones on sale in O2 while Steve Jobs is presenting the new iPhone brain implant in 2020 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I notice both 8GB and 16GB versions of the iPhone are free on the highest pay monthly tariff on the UK O2 website ... typical Irish O2 have nothing up yet. I also see that UK O2 have visual voicemail ... did they always have that?

This is great, lets hope we get something good here from them....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

jester77 wrote: »
    Nope, can't be done now

O2 UK's PAYG is looking the best option at the moment

Thats lame but i am sure as time goes by somebody will figure a way around this.

it's not really "lame" tbh, that was AT&T's and apple's model for the first iphone, they are just actually enforcing it now.

it will be interesting to see what the actual apple stores will do though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder how much better the battery life will be. It will probably be the same as the 1st gen which would technically be an improvement given the extra demands.

Still no justification for buying one in ireland tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

O2 to launch iPhone on 3G from E49

Tuesday, 10th June 2008 10.13am

O2 Ireland today said it plans to launch a smaller, cheaper version of the popular iPhone tomorrow.

The iPhone 3G device price will be subsidised and priced according to which of the existing three iPhone tariffs a customer chooses to sign up to. The subsidised device prices will start from just E49.

O2 said the use of its 3G network for the new iPhone means that Internet connections will be twice as fast with iPhone 3G allowing for faster browsing speeds over O2's HSDPA network.

It will be available in an 8GB model and a 16GB model. The 8GB iPhone 3G will cost E49 on the E100 monthly iPhone tariff, E99 on the E65 tariff and E169 on the E45 tariff.

The 16GB iPhone 3G will cost E129 on the E100 monthly tariff option, E169 on the E65 tariff and E229 on the E45 tariff. All iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle.

In a separate announcement today, O2 and Bitbuzz, Ireland's leading Wi-Fi service provider, have agreed a new deal to provide O2's iPhone customers with free access to Bitbuzz Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the country. The deal, which is for an initial duration of 2 years, will cover the provision of Wi-Fi internet access at all Bitbuzz locations in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - 155 in total. Under the new deal, access to the Bitbuzz service will be unlimited for O2 iPhone customers,. Access will be available from tomorrow.

The Apple stores are going to have AT&T kiosks where you sort out your contact. Looks like the US is not an option this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Question... If it is only on sale here on pay monthly, would it be possible to go up the north, buy it on pay as you go and put an Irish O2 sim in it and work? Is it possible to do that at the moment with other phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11235

Still only a 1GB data bundle from O2 Ireland.

it would have to be unlocked first, O2 IE sims do not work in O2 UK locked phones.

that's kind of good that o2 IE have kept the same tariffs i actually thought they'd add more paddy tax.

it's looking now that the UK is the best place to buy from now due to the PAYG.

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Question... If it is only on sale here on pay monthly, would it be possible to go up the north, buy it on pay as you go and put an Irish O2 sim in it and work? Is it possible to do that at the moment with other phones?

Should be possible but how do the UK do prepay? In Germany all phones have to be registered so if you don't have a German address you can't get a pre pay phone.

Also, the new iphone will have a new radio and this will first need to be cracked. This could take a few days or a few months, Apple will have learned from the first version.

Cremo wrote: »
    it's not really "lame" tbh, that was AT&T's and apple's model for the first iphone, they are just actually enforcing it now.

it will be interesting to see what the actual apple stores will do though.

Yes, yes it is lame tbh because this time around we cant import them from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

aCA wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11235

Still only a 1GB data bundle from O2 Ireland.

absolute disgrace, but not unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

So what's the best way to get a hold of one of these for use on a non o2 network? My hopes are dashed after reading the inabilty to order from Apple.com :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

O2 Ireland are a joke. They have nothing but contempt for the Irish consumer, I wish nobody would buy from them

So what's the best way to get a hold of one of these for use on a non o2 network? My hopes are dashed after reading the inabilty to order from Apple.com :(

by the looks of it PAYG from the north @ approx 269 sterling and hope it can be unlocked.

I'm shocked that they are still only offering 1GB. Especially now that we will be able to download games etc from the App Store. I'm sure this will begin to eat into the data limit when included with youtube use and general internet use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I can't confirm it yet but it looks like existing o2 iPhone customers can upgrade at the new prices. No word on a payg yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Terrible if o2 dont improve there plans. I mean everything is so stingy on it. The minutes/texts and data are all very low. I cant see o2 getting a huge amount of business here I only hope that other carriers are let into the market.

The only thing stopping me from getting an iPhone is o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Its gonna be on Pay As You Go in the Uk so we probably will see unlocked 3G iPhones.
    Edit: Oops already mentioned sorry.

terrible If O2 Dont Improve There Plans. I Mean Everything Is So Stingy On It. The Minutes/texts And Data Are All Very Low. I Cant See O2 Getting A Huge Amount Of Business Here I Only Hope That Other Carriers Are Let Into The Market.

The Only Thing Stopping Me From Getting An Iphone Is O2.

+1
    :(

Boards.ie just got a mention over at the O2 forums site: (where Daryll is a moderator and O2 staff member)
    Quote:
    [Originally Posted by Daryll]
    I'm in the dark myself at the moment......Please be patient it should not be much longer before we have the information
    [Response from user: SpeakGSM]
    As usual Daryll, the above is not aimed at you but at "O2". This is huge news worldwide and also here in Ireland as O2 already sell the iPhone. Theres already a thread over on Boards which is 114 posts long with almost 3,000 views! Those people should all be on here getting the info and buzzing ready to spend their money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ha this is ridiculous. I'm with O2 and would've got the iPhone when it first was released by O2 except the tariffs are just stupidly expensive and idiotic. Do they not do any market research at all when they launch price plans? Anybody could've told them they won't sell phones at those tariffs.

It's crazy that as usual us Irish customers are getting ripped off again. What about visual voicemail, will O2 IRL get their acts together and give us visual voicemail when the new iPhone comes out? And this 1GB data bundle is so so so stupid. I read on the O2 forum that it's because there's not a need for a higher data limit coz people only use 250mb per month! Then someone posted so if you say people only use that why won't you increase the limit or make it unlimited?

I use iTunes all the time and youtube and I surf a bit so I could very easily go over 250mb, they just have their heads in the sand like :(

It just beggers belief *sigh*

anyone else think that O2 have yet to decide tarrifs for the new iphone, and that the tarrifs quoted in the above articles are just journos quoting current iphone tarrifs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

There has been no announcement from O2 IRL yet on tariffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement