Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

No. If I'm called I'm gonna ask my mates do they want it?

how selfish are you? You would just keep your name on a list just so your "mates" might possibly want it?

cop on and let others get there chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

swingking wrote: »
    how selfish are you? You would just keep your name on a list just so your "mates" might possibly want it?

cop on and let others get there chances

I have to agree really ignorant attitude there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Guys if your relying waiting lists I wouldn't bother, from reading this thread and the O2 forum along with personal expierence, the people who are waiting "for the call" because they are on a waiting list are waiting a lot longer than those people who are ringing and calling into stores everyday. If you want a phone get off your a$$ and look for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

I tried to ring the store three times today to get my name off the list, but they are refusing to answer, Ah well

Mite be that i rang about 4 times last week and there just refusing to talk to me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Villain wrote:
    Guys if your relying waiting lists I wouldn't bother, from reading this thread and the O2 forum along with personal expierence, the people who are waiting "for the call" because they are on a waiting list are waiting a lot longer than those people who are ringing and calling into stores everyday. If you want a phone get off your a$$ and look for one.
    qft

I think people on a list should accept there's more chance of getting a call from the Pope for supper, than there is regarding a phone you signed up for two weeks ago.

I realised this 10 days ago and just put in the legwork until I got one. Oddly I never got a call since...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I got a call on Saturday from Dundrum and he said he would hold it for me until today because I was away. I put my name down 2 weeks ago or longer (cant remember the date). So yeah- it does happen. The guy also told me at the time I had more chance of getting one from either Dundrum or the main store in town (think he said grafton street?) as they can get up to 300 phones in one go whereas blackrock or other places might only get 5. So keep an eye on those stores.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dades wrote: »
    qft

I think people on a list should accept there's more chance of getting a call from the Pope for supper, than there is regarding a phone you signed up for two weeks ago.

I got that call and told him to get off the feckin line, I was waiting on a call about an iphone. He asked me to call him if I had any news on availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

*strokes his iPhone lovingly*

It really pays to know someone working for O2. I didn't preorder, queue, beg, plead, steal or make any effort to get one, bar asking my significant other to put one aside for me. Now all I need is good 3G signal.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

TechnoFox wrote: »
    I am still waiting for the email but can go into the track order page and it shows Pending. Not good.

Has anyone that placed an order online this morning with O2 received the confirmation e-mail yet?...any update? My own order is still "pending" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

Nope, still nothing. At least they are consistant (ly bad). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

CivilEx wrote: »
    Has anyone that placed an order online this morning with O2 received the confirmation e-mail yet?...any update? My own order is still "pending" :confused:

I'm still in the same boat aswell. No confirmation e-mail. I read on the o2 fourm that anyone who got an order number and email has an iPhone. I sure hope thats the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

CivilEx wrote: »

I e-mailed the moderator of the O2 forum earlier with my order number. He said everything seems ok, and the reason its pending is because the contract is being drafted up.

Seemingly they send out forms with the phone which you have to sign and send back along with utility bill, etc. Does anyone know is it possible to just go into an O2 agent and give them the forms, etc to speed up the process?

Don't think you have to send back utility bills etc, Think it's only mandate to take over your number from other network and a Direct debit mandate if your paying that way.

After all they take your bank details to do credit check etc.

I'm sure all shall be revealed 2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FirefoxDCU

quick question. please help!

My sister is getting a second-hand 3G iPhone tomorrow. Will any normal (pre-pay) O2 sim card work with it?

Also, is it possible to unlock it without messing things up with app store etc??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jishot wrote: »
    I have to agree really ignorant attitude there
    I seriously don't expect to get any calls. But if I do I intend to pass my good fortune onto my mates. As previously mentioned. Friends and family of o2 first. So how is what I do any different?

When I was picking up my I phone in Dundrum a random guy walked in off the street and asked for a black 8gb I phone 3g and asked if they had any. the guy behind the counter said he just got a phone call for a guy that had one on hold but got it somewhere else so didn't want it. so this randomer got his phone first time of asking. I'd like to think that if they ring me and I say I don't want it that it might contribute to the fairy tale scenario as experienced by that guy. The lucky sod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IPhoneless

As the name suggests im without an IPhone 3G, but what i find really irritating is the mere mention of IPhone gets a negative reaction straight away in any of these stores be it CPW or O2. I went in today to Henry street just to get an idea of the waiting lists and i was shooed away by an ignorant salesperson...its like they dont want your custom.

I know they probably get asked about the IPhone a lot everyday but these are potential customers for O2 and im just annoyed at the way i was treated today. They dont even invite you onto a waiting list they just say "no idea when were getting stock, 2 weeks 3 weeks maybe" and walk off. Im switching from 3 and my bills are around 100euro a month , im sure O2 would like me to switch over but the staff they have are rude, ignorant and need a course in how to treat potential customers properly.

I know im tarring them all with the same brush and i know there are really nice sales people in o2 i just havent come across any yet.

Twinned with the fact i was 90% through my order on Tuesday when the website crashed its all very frustrating. I will be sticking with my old N70 until there is enough stock in the shops so i can get my black 16GB model. I know a lot of people dont want to wait but its seriously not worth the headache right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They could avoid a lot of questions by putting a sign up in the window with the latest info. They could have given everyone waiting for a call, a number and list the numbers in the window and on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

BostonB wrote: »
    They could avoid a lot of questions by putting a sign up in the window with the latest info. They could have given everyone waiting for a call, a number and list the numbers in the window and on the website.

That doesn't work. People are stupid. I've lost track of the amount of times I was asked 'Do you have any PS2's' when I was working in GAME when I had put 6 signs on the door stating 'NO PS2s IN STOCK UNTIL <insert date>'

Same goes for where I'm working now. We had a power cut so had to close the shop. We put a sign on the door explaining this, saying that we did not know how long the power cut would last and we still had people banging on the door, trying to get in and asking when we'd be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I tell you what would have solved this issue, a clause in the contract with Apple stating s minimum ammount of supply for the first 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has anyone suggestions for some applications that can be downloaded via the App Store. Preferably free but if its good enough I'll pay. Just wanna try a few out for now to see it working in all its glory. I've dl'd shazam but haven't tried it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

IPhoneless wrote: »
    As the name suggests im without an IPhone 3G, but what i find really irritating is the mere mention of IPhone gets a negative reaction straight away in any of these stores be it CPW or O2. I went in today to Henry street just to get an idea of the waiting lists and i was shooed away by an ignorant salesperson...its like they dont want your custom.

I know they probably get asked about the IPhone a lot everyday but these are potential customers for O2 and im just annoyed at the way i was treated today. They dont even invite you onto a waiting list they just say "no idea when were getting stock, 2 weeks 3 weeks maybe" and walk off. Im switching from 3 and my bills are around 100euro a month , im sure O2 would like me to switch over but the staff they have are rude, ignorant and need a course in how to treat potential customers properly.

I know im tarring them all with the same brush and i know there are really nice sales people in o2 i just havent come across any yet.

Twinned with the fact i was 90% through my order on Tuesday when the website crashed its all very frustrating. I will be sticking with my old N70 until there is enough stock in the shops so i can get my black 16GB model. I know a lot of people dont want to wait but its seriously not worth the headache right now.

The whole thing with stock was very badly handled and i think at this stage the staff are sick of hearing the same questions 100 times a day from the phones and from customers coming in. And i'm sure they would love to be able to tell you that they have them or they can put you on a list but the fact is they can't. They are in the dark as much as you.
    Can you imagine sitting at a desk answering the same question all day ? With every caller thinking they can get a bit more info off you that somehow you really do know but are holding back? I feel sorry for them. I'm not long out of the buisness so i am a bit biased but I know all too well what it's like for them, and for that reason i'm sticking with my first normal phone until the stock problem has calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

chrislad wrote: »
    That doesn't work. People are stupid. I've lost track of the amount of times I was asked 'Do you have any PS2's' when I was working in GAME when I had put 6 signs on the door stating 'NO PS2s IN STOCK UNTIL <insert date>'

Same goes for where I'm working now. We had a power cut so had to close the shop. We put a sign on the door explaining this, saying that we did not know how long the power cut would last and we still had people banging on the door, trying to get in and asking when we'd be open.

From an article in the Independent last year;
    The horrifying figure of 24 per cent adult illiteracy was first published in an OECD survey in 1996, and put us close to the bottom of the international league. (In Europe, only Poland scored worse than we did.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Still better than no information at all. Charge €2 for every iPhone query.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Has anyone suggestions for some applications that can be downloaded via the App Store. Preferably free but if its good enough I'll pay. Just wanna try a few out for now to see it working in all its glory. I've dl'd shazam but haven't tried it yet.
    Apart from Shazam - which works really well - the only other free one I've used is the currency converter (you should find it easy - green icon).

I've been trying to find a decent radio app like the Pandora one which we can't get in Europe. :mad:

Any way around getting US-only apps without having a US iTunes a/c I wonder?

My order status has changed from pending to

Recieved:
    Your order has been received by our warehouse. You will receive an email to confirm when your order has been accepted.

to

Processing:
    Your order details are currently being picked by our warehouse.

to

Processing:
    Your order has been packed and is being prepared for delivery.

Finally, Yay

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Really bad coverage today.. I don't know if it's the phone or 02 but it's been on edge almost all day with only 1 or 2 bars of signal strength, and I've been in the Blackrock and UCD/ Donnybrook areas. Anyone else having signal issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

chrislad wrote: »

+1 no matter what you do people still ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dades wrote: »
    Apart from Shazam - which works really well - the only other free one I've used is the currency converter (you should find it easy - green icon).

I've been trying to find a decent radio app like the Pandora one which we can't get in Europe. :mad:

Any way around getting US-only apps without having a US iTunes a/c I wonder?

your iphones ip address needs to be a US one or the pandora app wont work it seems. for the last two weeks i have been trying to get it running and it just keeps telling me i cant sign in to my account. oh and i have a US account...

Midomi is also very good, my top apps so far:
    • Twinkle
    • Band
    • Remote
    • Vector Pong
    • Midomi
    • Last FM
    • Coolgorilla Spanish/German
    • Google Search

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I was in the Grafton Street O2 shop today and the girl said they'll have more in this Friday or Saturday....she couldn't say exactly.
    Said they would arrive around lunch time. They're expecting a good batch in. Also in the Blanchardstown store

Chap beside her then said that he expects the deliveries to get more regular over the next couple of weeks.

They're no longer taking names and holding phones although she did offer to ring me when the phones arrive. I personally think she just wanted my number :pac:

A side note lads....I'm with 3 atm and the contract expires in September.
    What termination fee would I expect to pay if I get my sim ported to O2 this week? (is it a fixed fee or based on months left?)

Also, when/if I do pay the fee, will they (3) give me the unlock code for my current phone? I've promised it to the mother. (Nokia E65)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

This could well be the wrong thread for this - but does anyone know how to find a way to put music on the iphone without going through iTunes?

I have used MediaMonkey to bypass iTunes when using an ipod, but it doesn't pick up the iphone. Any ideas pls?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement