Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The_Edge wrote: »

A side note lads....I'm with 3 atm and the contract expires in September.
    What termination fee would I expect to pay if I get my sim ported to O2 this week? (is it a fixed fee or based on months left?)

Also, when/if I do pay the fee, will they (3) give me the unlock code for my current phone? I've promised it to the mother. (Nokia E65)

Cheers

I ported from vodafone to meteor in the middle of a contract. The fee they charged me was based on the number of months left on my contract.....they changed my price plan to the cheapest plan they did, then multiplied it by the number of months left and that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The_Edge wrote: »
    A side note lads....I'm with 3 atm and the contract expires in September.
    What termination fee would I expect to pay if I get my sim ported to O2 this week? (is it a fixed fee or based on months left?)

Also, when/if I do pay the fee, will they (3) give me the unlock code for my current phone? I've promised it to the mother. (Nokia E65)

Cheers

i am with 3 also, last time i tried to do it with a couple of months left was last year and they said 100/150 cant quite remember. so now i will drop to the lowest plan (20pm) and just pay it monthly till my contract is up.
    edanto wrote: »
    This could well be the wrong thread for this - but does anyone know how to find a way to put music on the iphone without going through iTunes?

I have used MediaMonkey to bypass iTunes when using an ipod, but it doesn't pick up the iphone. Any ideas pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

Anybody else still Pending from the online orders yesterday morning? I know some people have recieved updates today but I haven't heard a thing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

TechnoFox wrote: »
    Anybody else still Pending from the online orders yesterday morning? I know some people have recieved updates today but I haven't heard a thing :mad:

Same as that TechnoFox, there is a wall of silence on this from O2 so far. I ordered the black 16GB and I am wondering if they processing either the white or 8GB first?....have they got the black 16GB in stock? I see from earlier posts that everyone that actually managed to place an order was either a newbie to O2 / porting from another operator. Are they processing the new connections first?mmmmm all sorts of theories flying around in my head...but I cannot make the delivery happen any faster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

CivilEx wrote: »
    Same as that TechnoFox, there is a wall of silence on this from O2 so far. I ordered the black 16GB and I am wondering if they processing either the white or 8GB first?....have they got the black 16GB in stock? I see from earlier posts that everyone that actually managed to place an order was either a newbie to O2 / porting from another operator. Are they processing the new connections first?mmmmm all sorts of theories flying around in my head...but I cannot make the delivery happen any faster :(

I didnt think you could buy off the website if u were an existing bill payer? were u with speakeasy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Carmeii wrote: »
    I didnt think you could buy off the website if u were an existing bill payer? were u with speakeasy?

nope....porting across from Vodafone billpay

I ordered 16gb black too. I assumed that if they put them online for order (given the predictable rush to order the damn things) they would be ready to ship. I am away on holiday from the weekend so unless it arrives by Friday, and the site did say 3 days delivery max, I am screwed.

Sorry I bothered now and didn't just try stroll into O2 Blanchardstown on Friday instead as more stock is apparently due (and forget the lists as I am on a few of them since July 11th with no calls).

Just to add to this (not that I am annoyed or anything) all models are now routinely available in UK O2 and CPW shops including online and up the north so they should decide to dump excess stock on to us soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi lads,

The status of my 16gb black order changed from pending to received in warehouse and then processing.

It's currently been prepared for delivery....sounds promising :D

I presume when we get the phones we can't use them? Will we have to wait until we send the forms back and for O2 to process them?

Jamieh, hope yours is on the way. I don't think we need to wait for the paperwork to go back (you will already have supplied bank details or credit card monthly payment) so you just need to activate via iTunes on your PC and you're in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Just to add to this (not that I am annoyed or anything) all models are now routinely available in UK O2 and CPW shops including online and up the north so they should decide to dump excess stock on to us soon.

Stock does'nt move between the north/rest of UK and the south like that, be nice/would make sense but it does'nt !

Would really be a nightmare to organise, O2 Ireland do their own deals with their suppliers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Lads, Just got my iPhone (yipee!) from o2 online. The status never changed from "ready for dispatch". No PIN Code came with the SIM card, so I have no idea what to do from here. Just the forms to be returned to o2.

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Lads, Just got my iPhone (yipee!) from o2 online. The status never changed from "ready for dispatch". No PIN Code came with the SIM card, so I have no idea what to do from here. Just the forms to be returned to o2.

This is what I thought might be the case....we'll have to wait a few days for them to process the forms and stuff :(

Did it arrive by courier or regular post? Mine has been preparing for delivery from 14.10 yesterday.....was ur's the same?

jamieh wrote: »
    This is what I thought might be the case....we'll have to wait a few days for them to process the forms and stuff :(

Did it arrive by courier or regular post? Mine has been preparing for delivery from 14.10 yesterday.....was ur's the same?

Yep mine was the exact same (14.10). Came by registered post this morning. I would imagine you will get yours today aswell so...

I must say it's very bad form the way its sent out. There is no letter/info explaining what to do. Just a form (which looks fairly daunting tbh) and an addressed envelope.There is no indication as to what I have to include with it or how long I will be waiting. There is a SIM card just thrown into the box with no PIN as well. I rang customer care and the girl I was talking to didnt have a clue to be honest. Turns out the bad customer service doesnt end even after they have got some of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Yep mine was the exact same (14.10). Came by registered post this morning. I would imagine you will get yours today aswell so...

I must say it's very bad form the way its sent out. There is no letter/info explaining what to do. Just a form (which looks fairly daunting tbh) and an addressed envelope.There is no indication as to what I have to include with it or how long I will be waiting. There is a SIM card just thrown into the box with no PIN as well. I rang customer care and the girl I was talking to didnt have a clue to be honest. Turns out the bad customer service doesnt end even after they have got some of your money.

O2 could encase it in frozen poo and throw it through customers front windows. People would still queuing up for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Im sorry if this is stupid but my pin was printed on the back of the sim card? (the credit card sized holder that it is held in when you first get it)... is this not the case with yours?

Hey man,

In the confirmation e-mail it says u have to return the form within 10 days along with a copy of a recent mobile bill from your current provider! I was wondering would it be easier to go into an O2 agent and get them to fax the forms and stuff...might be quicker!

Some balls having the phone and not being able to use it! I might throw in an old speakeasy sim for a few days (presume that will work!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Im sorry if this is stupid but my pin was printed on the back of the sim card? (the credit card sized holder that it is held in when you first get it)... is this not the case with yours?
    Indeed - mine too.
    jamieh wrote: »
    I might throw in an old speakeasy sim for a few days (presume that will work!)
    Presume again, I'm afraid! If only it were that easy...

Just had to cancel my still unupdated online order as was told I would not get it this week and am off on hols next week (and didn't like to idea of it going missing while undeliverable). So hope you get all yours activated soon and I am back to hitting the shops...

It better be as good as its hyped to be after all this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

johnson1 wrote: »
    Can you imagine sitting at a desk answering the same question all day ? With every caller thinking they can get a bit more info off you that somehow you really do know but are holding back? I feel sorry for them. I'm not long out of the buisness so i am a bit biased but I know all too well what it's like for them, and for that reason i'm sticking with my first normal phone until the stock problem has calmed down.

WTF?!?! If you cant handle answering questions from the public in a civil manner, dont work in retail. Simple.

Just had to cancel my still unupdated online order as was told I would not get it this week and am off on hols next week (and didn't like to idea of it going missing while undeliverable). So hope you get all yours activated soon and I am back to hitting the shops...

Sorry to hear dude :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sucks to be you. feel bad for ya. you aint going to germany/italy on holidays by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Returning iPhone 3g after 7 days!

I live in the UK and have been waiting for the iPhone 3g since the first iPhone was released. I waited well over a year, hoping that Apple would get the ‘Basics’ right… Unfortunately, I am sorry to say they have not. This is not a comment to ‘Bash’ the iPhone, it is merely my experience and I offer it as some way of guidance for anyone who is thinking of buying one.
    I write this coming from a Mac background. I have used Macintosh since the very start and always supported their products regardless of what other platform users have said or thought. That is why I am really disappointed with Apple’s 2nd attempt at the iPhone. Remember, this has always been sold as and promoted as a phone and it just does not do that job very well.

The BAD;

You cannot set user profiles and timed profiles like most phones have been able to do since the mid 90’s. At night I like to set my phone to a pleasant low ring which returns to my normal ringtone at 6am.
    Battery life is very poor considering my type of usage… Occasional emails, minimal web browsing, 4-5 sms messages mainly phone calls. I have location services off, screen brightness very low, I always remember to put the phone into stand-by and barely get a day’s use. I have been to the Genius Bar but they could not improve the performance.
    Random freezes which require a full restart, these are very annoying and becoming more common.
    The ring volume is not loud enough in today’s noisy city environments.
    The hands free speaker is not loud enough to conduct a conversation, unless you are in a room on your own.
    Email should mirror the SMS notification system and display a message on the blank stand-by screen when new mail arrives just like when a new SMS is received. At the moment I have to keep waking the phone, unlocking the device, and checking the email icon on the dock. This is very annoying when you are in a meeting, for me and other people around me. I know you are all going to say it vibrates but even that is not very strong and can easily be missed. Even when the phone is not in Silent mode the ‘New Mail’ is not obvious enough, why can’t I choose the sound that suits me?
    Also, if you have more than One email account you cannot view them all as ‘One’ inbox as you can within Mail on OS X. You have to keep going into each inbox and then returning to the main email menu and doing it all over again. A real pain in the backside if you have Six email accounts you have to check!
    There is no way to attach attachments in Mail? You can only send photos from Photos and then you can only do it One at a time! Come on, how time consuming is that when you have a lot of pictures to share.
    I cannot find a way to set the time before diverting calls to answerphone. At the moment it only rings for about 20 seconds and then diverts. I live in a 3 storey house, by the time I have run downstairs I have missed the call! (don’t tell me I should have the phone on me)
    The ability to hang on to a signal is a basic premises of any phone and my iPhone fails terribly. On a test this morning heading into London on the train I pitted the iPhone against a colleagues Blackberry. The Blackberry won hands down. For almost all of the journey the iPhone could not connect to the network and Safari kept telling me there was no signal… The Blackberry was on the same O2 network as my iPhone and did not miss a single opportunity to access email or the web.
    Have you tried to customize the home screen? If you hold down the screen for more than 2 secs all the icons start to wobble and you can drag them to your desired position which is cool… Except you can’t, because every time you move one all the others all reposition themselves in what I can only describe as ‘Random’ I am sure there is a knack to this but I cannot figure it out.
    You cannot change the bottom Four keys. Why should Apple decide what I want there. How hard could it be to allow users the choice.
    The camera is rubbish… My old Nokia has a better quality camera and it’s Two years old.
    There is more but I don’t want to sound negative and I am tired.

The GOOD;

SMS is great - I love the threaded conversations.
    Movies look great but really zap the power.
    iPod is nicely laid out but mine always seems to start up at maximum volume which does annoy me… a lot.
    iPlayer works well, when you can get a strong 3g signal or on Wi-Fi.
    Set-up is really easy and great if you are a technophobe.

CONCLUSION;

If you want a device that does it all in one, then I guess the iPhone is for you but you must be prepared for the shortcomings I have listed above. Don’t get me wrong, it is a marvel of modern technology, but so was the the first Motorola’s which came with their own built in car battery! It was great at the time but we have all moved on so why has the iPhone in today’s modern and demanding World not addressed all the basic’s? I think that Apple will address some of these issues through Firmware Updates, but most should have been corrected with the launch of the iPhone 3g. I loved the UI and the feel of the phone and I really wanted it to work for me but is just falls way to short. Having said that I will be buying an iPod Touch so that I can have the vast majority of what I loved about the iPhone without the stuff I hated. In my opinion, buy the iPod Touch and get a Blackberry or other device to check your email
    How do your experiences match up to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My gf bought one off ebay and I'm not overly impressed by it. By all means its a fanstatic device but I agree with the bad points above. I have an ipod touch so that'll do me for the time being.

grizzly wrote: »
    How do your experiences match up to this?
    Just wanted to say that it is possible to change the bottom 4 keys

Sucks to be you. feel bad for ya. you aint going to germany/italy on holidays by any chance

Good point, I am going to Germany actually and hadn't thought about the unlocked option. Will do some investigating now...

Good point, I am going to Germany actually and hadn't thought about the unlocked option. Will do some investigating now...
    Sometimes its the obvious that slaps ya in the face:P

Yep, or O2's customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

Walked up grafton street, no luck, hopped ont he luas to try my arm further afield, arrived in Dundrum town centre and into the o2 shop, they had them! had the poxy thing in my hand about to sign the paper work when I found out I couldn't port my number over from three for 30 days, had to hand it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

I came from three and had given the 30 days notice when I bought the iPhone, but only ten of the days were up.

You could have bought it with a new o2 number, then given 3 the 30 days notice and ported your number several days later.

• Advertisement

Lads for anyone who got an iPhone from o2.ie, just ring 1909 from a landline with your SIM Card Number and Order number and they will activate it for you over the phone. You just have to pop that customer agreement fourm in the post to them. Must say the girl I was speaking with in customer service was very helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement