Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone bought a case for their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

does anyone know if you need to give Vodafone 30 days notice when you are bill pay customer and wanting to switch to O2? my 1 year contract was up in June.

Also for porting does O2 accept printer bills from Vodafone.ie I don't get paper invoices.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

nava,
    I was with Vodafone, contract had expired, and I didn't seem to have to give any notice, ported over fine.

For the second question, I was also on online (paperless) bills and they just had me log onto my account in the store and print out the last bill, so I'm sure a printout is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea got two one from cpw it slides in fully and has a string to pull it out it was €12

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Villain wrote: »
    Yea got two one from cpw it slides in fully and has a string to pull it out it was €12
    I'm hoping thats a case you're talking about:eek: or have CPW started selling lady products:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Spike440 wrote: »
    I came from three and had given the 30 days notice when I bought the iPhone, but only ten of the days were up.

You could have bought it with a new o2 number, then given 3 the 30 days notice and ported your number several days later.

:eek:
    Do you only have to give the notice when you're still inside the contract??

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

The_Edge wrote: »
    :eek:
    Do you only have to give the notice when you're still inside the contract??

Yup, when you're contract is up and you haven't renewed it you don't have to do anything.

If you're in contract, 3 only require 30 days notice to cancel and there are no cancellation penalties AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

grizzly wrote: »
    How do your experiences match up to this?

Mine are 90% positive, I love this phone, only issues I have is no way to listen to music through bluetooth headset and the major flaw which doesn't allow you to use the phone as a 3g modem for your pc, although an app for this was released for the mac and then pulled from the app store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have a silver upgrade, does that count for anything against the iPhone? Bit confused with the way things are being handled, some shops saying that there were no waiting lists, some with 8 week ones, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

After searching high and low for the last two weeks, getting pissed on by the weather quite a bit on my trek and being told no over 100 times I finnaly got one in The CPW in liffey valley this morning.

White 16 gig!

I also orederd this case
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TS434ZM/A?n=iphone2&fnode=home/shop_iphone/iphone_accessories/cases&mco=MTM1MjA4OQ

and this one too for different purposes!
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TS485ZM/A?n=iphone2&fnode=home/shop_iphone/iphone_accessories/cases&mco=MTI3ODM0OA&p=1&s=topSellers

People the bigger stores get the bigger stock.
    Try henry street, liffey valley, Grafton street and dundrum if you are hunting and not on a list!
    Hope this helps!;)

skapegoat wrote: »
    After searching high and low for the last two weeks, getting pissed on by the weather quite a bit on my trek and being told no over 100 times I finnaly got one in The CPW in liffey valley this morning.

White 16 gig!

I also orederd this case
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TS434ZM/A?n=iphone2&fnode=home/shop_iphone/iphone_accessories/cases&mco=MTM1MjA4OQ

and this one too for different purposes!
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TS485ZM/A?n=iphone2&fnode=home/shop_iphone/iphone_accessories/cases&mco=MTI3ODM0OA&p=1&s=topSellers

People the bigger stores get the bigger stock.
    Try henry street, liffey valley, Grafton street and dundrum if you are hunting and not on a list!
    Hope this helps!;)

So we shouldn't believe what they say when we call them , someone I know went to the shop yesterday and they had 1 Iphone left on white 16gb (probably the 1 you got) I called them in the afternoon and they said they had none left and today when you went looks like they had 1 left also white.

nava wrote: »
    So we shouldn't believe what they say when we call them , someone I know went to the shop yesterday and they had 1 Iphone left on white 16gb (probably the 1 you got) I called them in the afternoon and they said they had none left and today when you went looks like they had 1 left also white.
    thye always have some in stock its just they keep them to offer them to people who are on the list but a lot of people seem prepared to wait for a black version as opposed to the white so after they ring the people and they reject the white offer then it becomes free to the public again. thats why there are so many white ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Typical. I have been waiting 3 weeks for an iPhone and today I had to choose between 2! Just after getting my iPhone from o2.ie activated, I got a call from the o2 retail store in Limerick saying they have one for me if I still want it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

I was there first thing this morning, so your predictions are probably spot on.
    If its any help i overheard the manager say they are expecting a delivery today or tommorow, keep your ears to the ground.

The Iphone is a lot louder than the Itouch, its very noticeable.
    Same head phones and songs and its deffinitly louder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

grizzly wrote: »
    Anyone bought a case for their phone?
    I got a griffin wave case. It's a two piece translucent plastic with a rigid screen protector. The case fits great and leaves every port accessible but the screen protector kept getting moisture trapped under it. So I kept the case and replaced the rigid screen protector with Anti-Glare Film Set (which was fiddly as hell to fit). Not sure about the fuzzy effect of the Anti-glare, may go with Crystal Film instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Seems like there are a few extra in the country now. So, when can we set up the official gloating pictures thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

can an iphone 3g be bought without a contract , anywhere in the world.

im doing a trip in the next month for a year or so , if they were i might keep a look out for one.

eoinf wrote: »
    can an iphone 3g be bought without a contract , anywhere in the world.

im doing a trip in the next month for a year or so , if they were i might keep a look out for one.

I was reading about it a while back, I think only 2 or 3 countries have it without contract but the prices are not cheap.

I think they are Italy, Austria and Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I would get one of these in a heartbeat but the terrible 1GB allowance is stopping me.

How is the battery life.

And anyone know whats the free wifi situation like around dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would get one of these in a heartbeat but the terrible 1GB allowance is stopping me.

How is the battery life.

And anyone know whats the free wifi situation like around dublin

Most people aren't finding the 1GB cap a problem. What do you use currently and what do you intend doing with it.

The battery life is on a par with other 3G/2G phones. But I think the problem is people use it more doing other stuff like browsing the web and multimedia stuff than they would with another phone, thus the battery life is being drained faster.

I wish it had a better camera, better battery life, more PDA functions, and a 12month contract. Better tariffs aswell but the tariffs are roughly on a par with existing Irish plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

BostonB wrote: »
    Most people aren't finding the 1GB cap a problem. What do you use currently and what do you intend doing with it.

The battery life is on a par with other 3G/2G phones. But I think the problem is people use it more doing other stuff like browsing the web and multimedia stuff than they would with another phone, thus the battery life is being drained faster.

I wish it had a better camera, better battery life, more PDA functions, and a 12month contract. Better tariffs aswell but the tariffs are roughly on a par with existing Irish plans.

1GB should be more than enough for use with a mobile device. I use only a couple of MB a day. If you want to start transferring huge amounts of data, use a desktop.
    I think it's a case of people's eyes being bigger than their stomachs.

I wish it had some type of sound profiles other than silent. And the SMS history display is a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1gig is plenty. I have 800meg left last month. I've used about 50 so far since my new billing date (2nd). That's about 10megs a day.

How do ya find out how much of your data usage is gone. I've tried checking it using *111#, and by checking on o2.ie but both say that I haven't used any data, but I have. I've been on the net a lot. and have been using the youtube application a lot too.. I'm just worried I might go over without knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

How do ya find out how much of your data usage is gone. I've tried checking it using *111#, and by checking on o2.ie but both say that I haven't used any data, but I have. I've been on the net a lot. and have been using the youtube application a lot too.. I'm just worried I might go over without knowing.

This may seem like a stupid question but have you been using those applications on 3G or on a Wifi signal.

3g and edge. mostly 3g. I'm from the country where wifi is a luxury we rarely see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Well I doubt you will go over it to be honest.

I haven't heard a person on here yet saying they have.

Maybe it takes a bit longer to register data usage. How long you have the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good news: Pwnage 2.0.2 (for Mac users) and Installer 4 beta will be released later today.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/45114061/installer-4-and-pwnagetool-2-0-2

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Folks i know this has prob been asked so many times but im heading to the states next month and was wondering if the iphone wil work when i get back i.e. can i get it unlocked to work on vodafone or will i be wasting my money buying 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As it stands Dubdude..

No, you can't yet get the 3G iPhone unlocked to make calls.

And also it's not as easy to buy as the 1st Gen iPhone in the US. To purchase it, you need a:

- credit card
    - Social Security number
    - a US government-issued photo ID
    - the account number for your current wireless account if you're not an AT&T customer
    - you'll have to pass a credit check, and you have to be at least 18 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement