Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I would have got one in Cork today if the stupid networks weren't down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Are there any plans to release this on any other networks in Ireland at all?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ask Apple. I think a sim free model, or models locked to each individual network, would be a much better idea for both Apple and consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

chrislad wrote: »
    Ask Apple. I think a sim free model, or models locked to each individual network, would be a much better idea for both Apple and consumers.

Yeah i totally agree with you on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Just wondering - what happens after the 18 month contract is up or if you upgrade from version 1 - will they be obliged to unlock the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

bk wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, anyone who bought the iPhone from the o2 online store last Tuesday, have you received the iPhone yet and how long did it take to arrive?

Cheers

BK, I ordered one, and still have not received it, but according to the delivery detail now up on the track your order section, I would have got it today if I was at work (delivery address). Once you have gotten from "pending" to "processing" status, the delivery seems to move along fairly quickly. I have seen some others on this thread that have received theirs on Thursday......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

i wonder will o2s systems be up today. Looks like carphone warehouses site is down now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

eamon234 wrote: »
    Just wondering - what happens after the 18 month contract is up or if you upgrade from version 1 - will they be obliged to unlock the phone?

As far as I know, they have to unlock it once the contract is up. It'll be September next year before we know for sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

i wonder will o2s systems be up today. Looks like carphone warehouses site is down now

O2 systems are still not able to do sign-ups. I just rang to see about getting my iphone and was told to ring back in an hour to see if they've got their act together...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That really isn't good for O2

• Advertisement

fullerand wrote: »
    O2 systems are still not able to do sign-ups. I just rang to see about getting my iphone and was told to ring back in an hour to see if they've got their act together...

I have a feeling its not going to happen today at all. that means noone will have bought an iphone this week so there should be loads in the shops tomorrow.

Just got a call this minute. Apparently they are back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Biscuit Baron

I've had an iphone reserved for me since yesterday morning, but they couldn't sell it to me due to problems with their systems. I called in to the store 20 mins ago, and I still couldn't purchase it. Apparently, the black 16GB iphones aren't registered on their system. They said I could buy a white one if I wanted to have one today, but I demured and said I'd wait till tomorrow. Even so, they still couldn't offer me any definite assurances that all will be fixed by then.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? 'Tis rather odd.

i got mine. playing with it now. first impression is that wifi is extremly flaky and so slow its like dial up. i must be doing something wrong .. i hope . 3g hasnt been enabled with o2 for me yet.

Just got mine too, in o2 rathmines.

Can't figure out from the instructions how long i should let it charge the first time, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wireless shouldn't be slow, you sure your on wireless, you'll be the wave icon in the top left corner it appears when your surfing using wireless.

First charge should be a few hours doesn't make that much difference, battery life is poor to start with but after a few charges it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

fullerand wrote: »
    Just got mine too, in o2 rathmines.

Can't figure out from the instructions how long i should let it charge the first time, any ideas?

How the fudge did you do that?

Just called 3 shops -- their systems are still down.

colm_c wrote: »
    How the fudge did you do that?

Just called 3 shops -- their systems are still down.

Dunno, might've just got lucky.
    Maybe the people in the shops lied to you to give themselves a chance to work on the backlog - the poor guy in Rathmines was run off his feet playing catch-up while the system was online

Still down in Cork. They're willing to hold it for me til tomorrow, unfortunately I'm getting my wisdom teeth out first thing tomorrow morning!

Anyone know if I can send someone else in to pick it up if they have my name, DOB, etc?

Gauge wrote: »
    Still down in Cork. They're willing to hold it for me til tomorrow, unfortunately I'm getting my wisdom teeth out first thing tomorrow morning!

Anyone know if I can send someone else in to pick it up if they have my name, DOB, etc?

Probably not - you have to sign a contract and provide ID, bills etc. Might be ok if you're upgrading though.

• Advertisement

That's the thing, I'm upgrading.. they didn't ask for ID and bills and all that last time, just confirmed my name, DOB and number but you never know. Guess I could go with option B and scare them into giving me an iPhone by showing up with a bruised swollen face.

Heres my take on it so far.

The wifi was slow but that turned out to be because Ice broadband is crap as usual. Tried it in a friends house with eircom and it was much faster.

This phone is excellent. i have only 2 minor gripes. The camera is so crap they should have just left it out. I used to take pics of documents with my phone. The iPhone camera is no good for that.

2 : The reception isnt gread. My old N73 used to get 3 bars where the iPhone gets 1 if its lucky at my house.

Overall though im happy as a pig in sh1t.

Anyone know any good voip apps for the iPhone 3g? Preferably ones i can use blueface or skypeout with?

Anyone know any good voip apps for the iPhone 3g? Preferably ones i can use blueface or skypeout with?

Don't think there's any yet, I've seen some hacky workarounds that use the iPhone as a speaker headset while the app is running on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

If anyone's looking to use their free webtexts directly from their iPhone (or iPod Touch), I have just released an app called EirText, which is available for free in the App Store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286099297&mt=8

If anyone's looking to use their free webtexts directly from their iPhone (or iPod Touch), I have just released an app called EirText, which is available for free in the App Store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286099297&mt=8

Thats excellent. Thanks a million. Is it possible to enter in a phone number when you sont have them in your contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Thats excellent. Thanks a million. Is it possible to enter in a phone number when you sont have them in your contacts?

Cheers! Yeah you can type in a number manually by clicking in the middle of the contact field (although you won't be able to add the number to your contact list unless you go into the iPhone's contacts app).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Hi, question about the iPhone;

Is it possible to use one without a PC? (Can you get music on to it via the net directly?)

grizzly wrote: »

Is it possible to use one without a PC? (Can you get music on to it via the net directly?)

Nope, you gotta have a Computer (Windows or Mac) with iTunes on it to put music/apps on your iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Regarding calling the shops, I called the number I could find listed as been for the shop on the Talktalk.ie website (I could not find them in their own website) but looks like all the numbers listed there redirect to Customer service, when I call today after 11 they said they had none in stock and none of the shops had any, I went to the The Square and they had a few 8gb and 16gb

So in other works go directly to the shop or get a numbers that calls directly to the shop.

Got mine today, been playing with it for a while and so far so good.

only couple of questions, I put the o2 sim in my old phone and copied the phonebook, but after I import the contact in the Iphone I see "last;first" name is there a way to change that? I checked in Setings, Mail and Contact and change both (Sort and Display) to First Last but still show in the phonebook as Last; First

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

grizzly wrote: »

I don't have one, but I thing you have to register it online to activate too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement