Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Hey,
    was just over in the states, v difficult to find iphone without contract, but everyone I spoke to was raving about the samsung instinct. Sales staff were complementing the instinct and that it's much better than the iphone.
    Anyone any info, details or advice on either? Is the iphone worth it? Worth all the hype??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

Does anyone know roughly how long does it usually take for a "Pending" order on the O2 site to be accepted?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dedaw wrote: »
    Is the iphone worth it? Worth all the hype??

So far, I'd say yes.

Best phone I've ever owned by miles.

It's not just about the feature set, there are plenty of phones out there with more bells and whistles. The iPhone's main advantage is that it's really well put together. The UI is excellent, everything is where you'd expect it to be.

So far, the only complaint I have is that there's no copy and paste. I've only felt the need for that once or twice so it's not that big of a deal for me. Oh, and the fact that there are very few apps available in the Irish App Store. I expect both of these problems to be remedied in the future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The_Edge wrote: »
    Company phones? :eek:

Any jobs going in your place?

Not my place, her place. Yeah it's a good place to work alright, she gets clothes allowance, expenses, travel allowance, phone, decent salary. They all go out to lunch once a month & dinner & drinks once a month, all on him.

They were all away at one of the staff's wedding a couple of weeks ago & when they went to check out of the hotel, they discovered he'd paid the bill for everyone...

Very generous guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

I'm due a gold upgrade with o2. does anyone know if i can get the iphone for cheaper or on a cheaper tariff? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ring O2 and, I dunno, ask them? Crazy, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Hmmm....I need a new phone, really want the iPhone but I'm a student. Would it be worth going on any of these contracts as they seem pretty expensive.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Hmmm....I need a new phone, really want the iPhone but I'm a student. Would it be worth going on any of these contracts as they seem pretty expensive.

Work it out. I did the maths and for me it's €6-7/month more expensive plus the cost of the phone. Subtract less than a pint per fortnight from the beer bill and the difference was made up. Better for my liver too. ;)

How much extra you'll pay is based on what you're currently paying per month. Do the maths and you should be able to figure out if you can justify it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

IRLConor wrote: »
    Work it out. I did the maths and for me it's €6-7/month more expensive plus the cost of the phone. Subtract less than a pint per fortnight from the beer bill and the difference was made up. Better for my liver too. ;)

How much extra you'll pay is based on what you're currently paying per month. Do the maths and you should be able to figure out if you can justify it or not.

Well, I spend about 40-50 a month on credit, but to be honest with free any network texts it could prob be cheaper anymore. Plus, I use a good bit of credit on data....Mmm, must work it out properly.

Def, bills would be cheaper on calls....and with webtexts it could be just as well.

I'm really considering it...anyone else got any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

chrislad wrote: »
    Ring O2 and, I dunno, ask them? Crazy, I know.

Pickin it up tomorrow so not much point in ringing them. i just wanted to know if anyone had gotten their iphone as an upgrade and is being an existing customer an advantage. no need to be a spa about it

• Advertisement

Carmeii wrote: »
    Pickin it up tomorrow so not much point in ringing them. i just wanted to know if anyone had gotten their iphone as an upgrade and is being an existing customer an advantage. no need to be a spa about it

In the 80 minutes that it took you to reply to me, you could have used 80 seconds to actually ring O2 and ask them how much an iPhone would cost you. This is not a customer care forum, it's a discussion forum. But, hey, major props for name calling. I've not heard anyone use the term 'spa' since I was about 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

In the 80 minutes that it took you to reply to me, you could have used 80 seconds to actually ring O2 and ask them how much an iPhone would cost you. This is not a customer care forum, it's a discussion forum. But, hey, major props for name calling. I've not heard anyone use the term 'spa' since I was about 12.

mate

most people don't spend their lives worrying about iphones all the time. All she did was ask a question.

Also; look at the name of the thread info about 3g iphone here

There was absolutely no need to be smart. You just showed your immaturity in your last post.

Cop on!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

swingking wrote: »
    mate

most people don't spend their lives worrying about iphones all the time. All she did was ask a question.

There was absolutely no need to be smart. You just showed your immaturity in your last post.

Cop on!!!

+1

mate

Cop on!!!

Was I speaking to you? Thread title is 'Post new / info about 3G iPhone here'.

Anywho, sorry if I came across as snarky. My initial point is still valid, I feel. A lot of issues being brought up in this thread should be separated onto another thread. I have my iPhone, and I'd like to discuss, with other users, various apps, tips etc, not have to wade through pages of 'Stock? Where? Go! Sold out! Aww!' etc. Issues such as what I commented on are O2 CC issues, and should be placed in the O2 support forum, which is excellent, or to 1909. Simple as that.

Was I speaking to you? Thread title is 'Post new / info about 3G iPhone here'.

Anywho, sorry if I came across as snarky. My initial point is still valid, I feel. A lot of issues being brought up in this thread should be separated onto another thread. I have my iPhone, and I'd like to discuss, with other users, various apps, tips etc, not have to wade through pages of 'Stock? Where? Go! Sold out! Aww!' etc. Issues such as what I commented on are O2 CC issues, and should be placed in the O2 support forum, which is excellent, or to 1909. Simple as that.

Best place to find out about the apps for iphones is in the first-gen iphone thread. Guys there usually have there iphones at this stage and are talking more about the apps and tips side of the iphone.

both iphones use the same software 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

juice79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly how long does it usually take for a "Pending" order on the O2 site to be accepted?

Took mine about 5 days, I would recommend that you ring 1909 to check on progress after 24 hours if the status doesn't move from pending to processing. Got mine today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Next spa-related jibe or counter jibe results in a minimum of a week's ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

CivilEx wrote: »
    Took mine about 5 days, I would recommend that you ring 1909 to check on progress after 24 hours if the status doesn't move from pending to processing. Got mine today:D

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Im delighted with mine, but crap camera, no radio are really annoying me. Battery life isnt as good as i expected either.

Anyone know if there is a way of streaming Newstalk106 radio feed to iPhone 3G?

actually radio streaming to iphones would be really good and it should be possible especially with the internet speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

i have a Virgin Radio app that works a charm. it's free in the App Store! I'm sure there are pay-for versions too...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

Carmeii wrote: »
    I'm due a gold upgrade with o2. does anyone know if i can get the iphone for cheaper or on a cheaper tariff? :confused:

on the €45 tariff the iphone is €169 with a gold upgrade.

only 3 tariffs as far as i know: €100, €65 and €45. The price of 169 relates to the 45 tariff only so it should be cheaper on the 65 tariff but you would want to be a heavy user of a phone to warrant the 65 tariff.

hope this helps.

i have a Virgin Radio app that works a charm. it's free in the App Store! I'm sure there are pay-for versions too...

any idea what an hour of listening to the radio translates into in terms of data use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

no idea, sorry...

OCD wrote: »
    on the €45 tariff the iphone is €169 with a gold upgrade.

only 3 tariffs as far as i know: €100, €65 and €45. The price of 169 relates to the 45 tariff only so it should be cheaper on the 65 tariff but you would want to be a heavy user of a phone to warrant the 65 tariff.

hope this helps.

Sorry are we talking about the 16 g or 8 g model?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

OCD wrote: »
    any idea what an hour of listening to the radio translates into in terms of data use?

Depends on what the quality of the feed is, but at 8kb (quite low quality)

8 x 3600 = 28MB/hour * 30 days = 0.8GB/month

Doesn't leave much room for anything else, kind of a waste IMO.

Why not download some podcasts of your favourite shows or add your favourite tunes to the iPhone instead? Listen to what you want when you want.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

krinpit wrote: »
    They're still having this problem? When did they say it'll be fixed exactly?
    They didn't say, they just said that they would ring me as soon as the problem was sorted. Still waiting... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Has anyone jailbroken their 2.0.1 iPhones yet?

I just downloaded winpwn 2.0.0.4 but I'm afraid to go ahead with it incase it makes my phone unusable!!

Sorry are we talking about the 16 g or 8 g model?

Thanks

oops, the 16gb model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

I've heard that the iphhone does not work with all bluetooth devices (mentioned also in this thread) - does anyone know if it works with the Nokia CK7W carkits?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement