Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone know if there is a way of streaming Newstalk106 radio feed to iPhone 3G?
    I would be complete if I could get Newstalk, Phantom and Lyric FM radio apps.

The radio apps available to Ireland are just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

colm_c wrote: »
    Depends on what the quality of the feed is, but at 8kb (quite low quality)

8 x 3600 = 28MB/hour * 30 days = 0.8GB/month

Doesn't leave much room for anything else, kind of a waste IMO.

Why not download some podcasts of your favourite shows or add your favourite tunes to the iPhone instead? Listen to what you want when you want.

yeah, the phone is stuffed with podcasts. i would only ever use the radio to catch a bit of news or traffic.

in your calculation above, is the 8 in kilobits or kilobytes? if it's bits, would the total be a lot less?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dades wrote: »
    I would be complete if I could get Newstalk, Phantom and Lyric FM radio apps.

The radio apps available to Ireland are just crap.

I got allRadio through the app store, and it has Phantom on it. Can't say I checked if Newstalk or Lyric FM are on it (don't remember seeing them in the list though).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

koneko wrote: »
    I got allRadio through the app store, and it has Phantom on it. Can't say I checked if Newstalk or Lyric FM are on it (don't remember seeing them in the list though).
    Nice one koneko! Have it downloaded and listening to Phantom. :)
    My data usage is minimal so I have loads of allowance for streaming radio.

You owe me 79 cent btw. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I wish O2 would go easier on us prepay freaks. 1 cent per k is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

womoma wrote: »
    I wish O2 would go easier on us prepay freaks. 1 cent per k is criminal.

Can you not purchase a data add on?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats not bad. Its only a tenner a MB :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Can you not purchase a data add on?

there's no data add on for pre-pay as far as I was aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

It seems for about €20 you can now unlock the 3G iPhone, thanks to Simable.

Blogger Pat Phelan has unlocked his...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ohh thats neat, Apple won't like that, might buy one to allow me to use my Vodafone or Meteor sim in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 pfrench

Hi Guys,

Just got my iPhone from the online store and i've just started to set it up. However they have provided me with a SIM but no PIN for it. Anyone know if there is a default PIN before i get back on to them for the third time today.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Pin should be written on the card the sim is attached to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Villain wrote: »
    Ohh thats neat, Apple won't like that, might buy one to allow me to use my Vodafone or Meteor sim in it

Still have to sign a contract with o2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

pfrench wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just got my iPhone from the online store and i've just started to set it up. However they have provided me with a SIM but no PIN for it. Anyone know if there is a default PIN before i get back on to them for the third time today.

Thanks.

Did you get a confirmation e-mail from the online store? This has your pin, pin2 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

does anyone know if you go abroad and use the iPhone only for Internet/mail, will it affect your data bundle?

I can understand texts and calls beinf extra but is data the same...pain if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

FFS, did anyone else get suckered into buying the Belkin Screen Protector they have in the o2 shops for a tenner?

There's a sticker on the front saying "Works with iPhone 3G", but it absolutely does not. It's designed *specifically* for the ipod touch and hence has a hole for a smaller home button, and no hole for the speaker on the screen!! Until I poked a hole in it with a knife I couldn't hear anyone during calls - looks awful after doing that too.

Am taking it back to the shop tomorrow to get my monkey back, just wondering if anyone else had the same experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Why is it so difficult here to get an iphone 3g ? I was looking into getting one for my business because they just *work* so well.

Are they trying to be cute or something? Keep them baying for an ihpone by not sending nearly enough here. I'd like an iphone but if I can't get one, then I might go and get something else.

Anyone know a good alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

BMcG05 wrote: »
    does anyone know if you go abroad and use the iPhone only for Internet/mail, will it affect your data bundle?

I can understand texts and calls beinf extra but is data the same...pain if it is

Yes data will also charge as roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

pontovic wrote: »
    Why is it so difficult here to get an iphone 3g ? I was looking into getting one for my business because they just *work* so well.

Are they trying to be cute or something? Keep them baying for an ihpone by not sending nearly enough here. I'd like an iphone but if I can't get one, then I might go and get something else.

Even that they say that there's no many around you might still find them, I went on Saturday to CPW in liffey valley and they had then in white 16gb (but I had nothing with me) I went to CPW in The Square on Sunday and they had 8gb and 16gb. Even that I called what I thought was the shop ( number directs to customer care) a couple of hours earlier and they said none available in any of their shops and will be a week to get them in.

Also O2.ie had some available all day yesterday and I think also today. (none now)

As an alternative check the Samsung F480 Tocco. Read the review on them Here

Around the same price to upgrade depending on your plan with O2 and Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LostCanadian

Anyone know if there is a way around the 18 month contract? I only plan to be in Ireland for around 12 months. Is leaving the country excuse enough to break the contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone know if there is a way around the 18 month contract? I only plan to be in Ireland for around 12 months. Is leaving the country excuse enough to break the contract?

NAFAIK, although if you're never going to return to Ireland *whistles*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

fullerand wrote: »
    I poked a hole in it with a knife...Am taking it back to the shop tomorrow to get my monkey back

Probably should have held off on gouging it with a knife before going to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

pontovic wrote: »

They're not easily or readily available to business users. I helped to supply some to a number of very well off businesspeople through a company that manages some business connections for O2.

Drop me a line if you like.

As for an alternative, it depends what you specifically want it for. You could look at Nokia E71, N95 8GB or wait for the Nokia N96

Gekko wrote: »
    It seems for about €20 you can now unlock the 3G iPhone, thanks to Simable.

Blogger Pat Phelan has unlocked his...

Are there any usage costs with this solution?...is it as simple as just purchasing on a once off basis and no running costs? ...Does anyone have any experience with this product?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

CivilEx wrote: »
    Are there any usage costs with this solution?...is it as simple as just purchasing on a once off basis and no running costs? ...Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Could you not read the threads here/google your questions to get some idea? In fairness :eek:

Could you not read the threads here/google your questions to get some idea? In fairness :eek:

In fairness dumbyearbook, the question does fall under the news / info about iPhone 3g....it has not been asked since the 3g was launched in July...yes there is plenty of sales pitch info on the web and on the simable website, but I am looking for feedback from 3g owners as this is by far the best forum for the iPhone 3g in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

CivilEx wrote: »

Well you will need data to use most functions of the phone, so whether you use it with Vodafone or 3 etc you will a data add on or you will be charged per kb

The biggest problem I see with this solution is sourcing an actually phone at a reasonable price

Villain wrote: »
    Well you will need data to use most functions of the phone, so whether you use it with Vodafone or 3 etc you will a data add on or you will be charged per kb

The biggest problem I see with this solution is sourcing an actually phone at a reasonable price

Cheers Villain. I was just worried that there might be some hidden charges associated with using this in iPhone 3G where they would try and piggy back a charge onto your account depending on how much data that you use.

Would I be wrong in thinking that a large number of people that were new customers to O2 have now secured their iPhone through the online store? (myself included :D ) There seemed to be stock online well into the afternoon last Monday...The scramble this week to purchase online seemed to be a lot less that the previous Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭clonedmonkey

Interesting article all the same:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080812-one-month-of-the-iphone-3g-what-apple-needs-to-fix.html

I haven't bought yet. Be seriously disappointed with the cracks issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

grizzly wrote: »
    Probably should have held off on gouging it with a knife before going to return it.

True, but they were cool about it. Belkin basically chanced their arm by putting "iphone 3G" stickers on the packets. O2 were happy to replace with a (cheaper) real iphone screen protector, and refund the difference in price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement