Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No issues here, like any OS an app or two has closed on me but just needed to reopen it, haven't had to reboot it at all, lets put it this way, its running better than my XP or Vista machines and my Nokia E65 or Sony Ericsson W810i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Villain wrote: »
    No issues here, like any OS an app or two has closed on me but just needed to reopen it, haven't had to reboot it at all, lets put it this way, its running better than my XP or Vista machines and my Nokia E65 or Sony Ericsson W810i

I'm curious how is it running "better" than your W810i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Has anyone gotten Gmail being fetched effectively yet? I use a bunch of filters and forwarded accounts so most my emails automatically get archived and labelled, and for some reason my Gmail fails to fetch any emails outside the inbox unless I manually check the individual labels or folders, or 'All Mail', which isn't much good when I'd like it to fetch it automatically, which every article I've googled says it should!

The IMAP settings are all set up manually the way Google says to, kind of feel like I'm going round in circles...

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm curious how is it running "better" than your W810i.

My W810 suffers from crashes from time to time that require a reboot, most notably bluetooth hangs and will only respond after a reboot.

I have not need to reboot my Iphone in the 2 weeks I have it, but in the same time I have had to reboot my W810 at least 3 times and my E65 twice.

I use all 3 on a daily basis, the E65 being work related, then I have a meteor sim for calls and texts to family and friends and then my O2 for general use that every tom, dick and harry has the number for.

The Iphone and O2 are performing better than the other 2, although the 3G coverage on my Iphone with O2 doesn't have as good coverage as my Vodafone sim in my E65

Gauge wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten Gmail being fetched effectively yet? I use a bunch of filters and forwarded accounts so most my emails automatically get archived and labelled, and for some reason my Gmail fails to fetch any emails outside the inbox unless I manually check the individual labels or folders, or 'All Mail', which isn't much good when I'd like it to fetch it automatically, which every article I've googled says it should!

The IMAP settings are all set up manually the way Google says to, kind of feel like I'm going round in circles...

Mine only fetches mail in label folders if I open the label, i.e if I only open Inbox it only updates the inbox

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pfrench wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just got my iPhone from the online store and i've just started to set it up. However they have provided me with a SIM but no PIN for it. Anyone know if there is a default PIN before i get back on to them for the third time today.

Thanks.

any luck with this? my phone just arrived and same thing, no pin on card sim was atttached too and nothing in the email either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Mine automatically fetches email from the inbox every 15 minutes, but almost none of my email ends up there. Just wondering is there any way of setting it up so that all folders are automatically checked and all unread mail is treated the same (ie: the unread count on the mail icon reflects all the mail, not just the inbox) but so far it's looking as if the only way to fix this is to remove the 'archive immediately' function from my filters, which I'd prefer not to do. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Villain wrote: »
    My W810 suffers from crashes from time to time that require a reboot, most notably bluetooth hangs and will only respond after a reboot.

I have not need to reboot my Iphone in the 2 weeks I have it, but in the same time I have had to reboot my W810 at least 3 times and my E65 twice.

I use all 3 on a daily basis, the E65 being work related, then I have a meteor sim for calls and texts to family and friends and then my O2 for general use that every tom, dick and harry has the number for.

The Iphone and O2 are performing better than the other 2, although the 3G coverage on my Iphone with O2 doesn't have as good coverage as my Vodafone sim in my E65

I don't remember ever needing to reboot my w810i thats why I ask. (don't use Bluetooth much though) so I was wondering how you could judge iPhone reliability after 2 weeks. How does the battery life compare across all three phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Has anyone been phoning around today? Any phones in stock anywhere are the moment, I tried last week and it seems like luck of the draw strolling into stores soon after they have recieved their weekly allowance of 3 or 4 phones.

I phoned pretty much every o2 and CPW in North Dublin on Monday and Tuesday, same story had some in over the weekend expect some in this week.

the w810i has the best battery life by a long way and it's a year old but I only use it for calls and texts and Bluetooth in the car. The e65 has the worst battery life due to it having push email I only get 1.5 days for it. The iPhone lasts 2 days with a bit to spare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

CivilEx wrote: »
    In fairness dumbyearbook, the question does fall under the news / info about iPhone 3g....it has not been asked since the 3g was launched in July...yes there is plenty of sales pitch info on the web and on the simable website, but I am looking for feedback from 3g owners as this is by far the best forum for the iPhone 3g in my opinion

My bad did nt realise you were asking about the simable thing thought it was a general iphone question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Eir Text wont open for me.

Jaw Breaker is very addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

womoma wrote: »

Hi

Similar happened to me the other day, after it opened it will close itself but I had the same problem with all the install Apps except what came with the phone. I connected to PC and after that they worked.

If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Hi Everyone,

A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to add any additional email accounts to the email function - I'd really like to be able to add my hotmail account.

2. All my contacts are only on my current speakeasy phone. I just received my iPhone in the post this afternoon... what's the quickest way of transferring the contacts onto iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Everyone,

A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to add any additional email accounts to the email function - I'd really like to be able to add my hotmail account.

2. All my contacts are only on my current speakeasy phone. I just received my iPhone in the post this afternoon... what's the quickest way of transferring the contacts onto iPhone?

1 yes BUT not directly via Hotmail, I was reading about it over the weekend, you need to register and pay to a 3rd company (can't remember the name) and they will give you the service, google Hotmail and Iphone and should find the name.

2 Copy the contacts from your old phone to the SIM card and after put the SIM card on the Iphone and move them over, there's an option to copy contact to phone is under setting , E-mail, Contacts, etc. Another option is to use http://zyb.com/ is free.

Thanks Nava!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

copacetic wrote: »
    any luck with this? my phone just arrived and same thing, no pin on card sim was atttached too and nothing in the email either.

I was in the same boat as yourself last week. Just ring 1909, explain the situation and tell them you want to activate it over the phone, and they will do it for you, and tell you the pin. You just have to promise to send back the customer agreement forms (which I still havent got around to doing 7 days later!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

can anyone explain what the Bluetooth on the iPhone is for? I can't receive pictures or songs and can't seem to send any either. So im assuming that all data transfer is out of the question. Since it doesn't have a2dp why is it there at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

its there for bluetooth headset support.

have to agree with you, the lack of bluetooth transfer is really bad. I've seen phones from 4 years ago that could do that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

EI-DAV wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as yourself last week. Just ring 1909, explain the situation and tell them you want to activate it over the phone, and they will do it for you, and tell you the pin. You just have to promise to send back the customer agreement forms (which I still havent got around to doing 7 days later!)

cheers. Got it sorted, porting is more of an issue but hopefully sorted tomorrow. Impressed so far. Typing is getting easier. Using it at mo. Itunes as crap as ever though. Can't access your Favs via YouTube app which is pretty ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

womoma wrote: »

if you dont install through the phone and only install through iTunes you should experience less app issues.

also check out vector pong, great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I do everything through iTunes. My 3G iPhone is not cracked. Thanks for the Vector Pong reccommendation. Ill check it out now!

By the way, does anyone else find App Store to be really slow in navigating between pages?

why is itunes on your iPhone only available through wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

why is itunes on your iPhone only available through wifi?

Some of the apps will also only download when in wifi (the larger apps) Im presuming apple have locked off the itunes store due to the size of the music + video files and how much of a strain that would put on either the 3g or edge networks when downloading them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Little warning for the people who just got their iphone this week: don't use mediamonkey if you just updated to the latest firmware cos the mickey heads at apple decided to change the internal database format and not tell any 3rd party developers so it doesnt work and then you have to restore the iphone to factory settings.

btw: using itunes to xfer music onto iphone is fukin ridiculous i.e. create a playlist, copy music into playlist (and you can't even copy music from another ipod onto the playlist), goto iphone -> music -> sync with playlist. wtf!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

can anyone explain what the Bluetooth on the iPhone is for? I can't receive pictures or songs and can't seem to send any either. So im assuming that all data transfer is out of the question.
    They'd never have data transfer as it's not compatible with the iTunes setup. Other phones have folders where you can transfer/store files - obviously the iPhone is much different. Apple don't want people bypassing the system they have in place.

I use the bluetooth for voice calls on my car stereo btw.
    Best use for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Damn, gone again.

Sorry, but the one or more of the item(s) you wish to buy are now out of stock. Please remove the 'out of stock' item from your cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

O/T
    Was just onto 3 there (very helpful) & they're looking for €25 quid to unlock the mobile (NokiaE65) off their network. I always though once you fulfilled your contract they were obliged to unlock it for you for free??

Rant!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I use the bluetooth for voice calls on my car stereo btw.
    Best use for it anyway.

I have a bluetooth stereo but won't recognize the phone as the phone doesn't have A2DP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement