Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

tinkerbell wrote: »
    There has been no announcement from O2 IRL yet on tariffs.
    SiliconRepublic say the new tariffs have been announced.
    Maybe O2 Ireland gave out the new prices for the iPhone and the journalist has just included the details from the old tariffs in the story. I hope so, cause surely the 1GB data bundle needs to be increased.

O2 reveals €49 subsidy plan for 3G iPhone

http://http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11235

10.06.2008 - O2’s Irish operations have unveiled a new price plan to go with the new 3G iPhone that will debut on 11 July, with prices starting from €49.

O2 revealed that the device will be available to pre-order in Ireland from 1 July.

Existing iPhone owners, who may feel they have overpaid and will miss out on the new devices, will be able to upgrade along with other O2 users eligible for an upgrade.

The 3G device will be available in an 8GB model and a 16GB model.

The 8GB iPhone 3G will cost €49 on the €100 monthly iPhone tariff, €99 on the €65 tariff and €169 on the €45 tariff.

The 16GB iPhone 3G will cost €129 on the €100 monthly tariff option, €169 on the €65 tariff and €299 on the €45 tariff.

O2 says that all iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle.:rolleyes:

In a separate announcement, O2 and Wi-Fi provider Bitbuzz have agreed to provide free Wi-Fi access to iPhone customers countrywide across Bitbuzz’s 155 national locations from 11 July.

The new iPhone comes with built-in GPS for location-based mobile services and iPhone 2.0 software that includes support for Microsoft Exchange, ActiveSync and can carry the hundreds of third-party software applications being built with the recently released iPhone Software Development Kit.

“The iPhone has already proved to be an extremely popular device with O2 Ireland customers since its launch in March and we anticipate a similar response to iPhone 3G when it goes on sale on 11 July,” said Danuta Gray, chief executive of O2 Ireland.

“O2 Ireland’s strategy continues to be to bring our customers the very best innovations and experiences in mobile communications. iPhone is changing the way people use their mobiles forever.”

By John Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

aCA wrote: »

O2 reveals €49 subsidy plan for 3G iPhone

http://http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11235

O2 says that all iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle.:rolleyes:

think its lazy journalism tbh, reckon nothing has been decided except phone price and o2 have just given him a quote for the current and available tarrifs and he's put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Hopefully anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

aCA wrote: »
    Maybe O2 Ireland gave out the new prices for the iPhone and the journalist has just included the details from the old tariffs in the story. I hope so, cause surely the 1GB data bundle needs to be increased.

O2's press release is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brian08

As of now, 12:47 the are only 97 iPhone on eBay. com. The majority of them being knock offs. Where are the rest of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Ah well, think its a big mistake on O2's part, they will get the initial " I want it cause its the in thing to have" crowd who wont use it for much and the rest of us who would make use of the data app's will get it elsewhere unlocked or just get another device and go with a provider with decent data options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Brian08 wrote: »
    As of now, 12:47 the are only 97 iPhone on eBay. com. The majority of them being knock offs. Where are the rest of them?

Probably wont start appearing until the new ones are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Have to Say the Prices of iphones with the price plan is good. 1Gb data is a bit of a joke. Maybe 1gb for 45 euro 5 gb for 65 euro and 10g for 100 euro price plans. I doubt we will see a increase in Minutes/Texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Agreed. No word on visual voicemail (or the lack thereof) in the press release either. Aren't they the only phone network who still charge for checking your voice messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Mikey23 wrote: »
    Agreed. No word on visual voicemail (or the lack thereof) in the press release either. Aren't they the only phone network who still charge for checking your voice messages?

they sure are. i think its 15c?

o2 could take over the Irish Mobile Market is they played there cards right with regards price plans with a appealing price plan and whose prices everyone would want one FACT! But no there stupid.

• Advertisement

T-mobile germany for there 25 euro package give 500mb data and for all over packages unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

T-mobile germany for there 25 euro package give 500mb data and for all over packages unlimited.
    They only introduced that tariff to get rid of their old stock of iPhones. They're withdrawing it in three weeks... and it's €29 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've a plan with T-Mobile Germany which has a €15 unlimited 3G data option (web n' walk handy flat). It would be €10 if my voice plan was €25 or more but I don't talk enough to justify the €25!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

dmn wrote: »
    they sure are. i think its 15c?

There is no charge for voicemail on O2 Clear tariffs (a first for O2), the iphone ones has the 15c charge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

€49 for the iPhone 3G, if you sign up to the €100 per month tarriff for two years. Bargain! [/sarcasm]

Sounds like UK Pay as you Go is the way forwards, or it will be interesting to see what they do in Italy when they launch because about 90% of the Mobile market over there is Pre-pay.
    Repubblica.it reports that Telecom Italia will be launching the iPhone in Italy in the next few weeks for sale by the summer.

The new model is said to be based on 3G (UMTS) technology and will be sold originally through Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM). The 3G iPhone, however, will not be locked to any provider, but TIM will have the inital advantage with a few month lead time over other carriers.

The main points appear to be as follows:
    1) Direct introduction of UMTS-capable 3G iPhones on the Italian market, skipping the current 2G version.
    2) No revenue sharing, instead a higher selling price.
    3) No permanent exclusive distribution by a single operator. Instead, TIM will be given the right to distribute the iPhone with some months of advance with respect to its UMTS competitors.

For those with a bit of Italian, here's the original La Repubblica document: Link

Might work out better than trying to unlock a UK phone, and having to watch out with every Firmware update in case it Bricks your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

My dad really wants an iPhone but is on Vodafone. We're actually in Italy the last two weeks of July so might be able to pick one up for him there hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

There is no charge for voicemail on O2 Clear tariffs (a first for O2), the iphone ones has the 15c charge

Not true on 2 counts. o2 Voicemail used be free on legacy plans. There is a charge on o2 Clear tarrifs with bundled minutes. The voicemail call comes out of your bundled minutes, and there's a charge once you've used up your bundled minutes. This doesn't apply, subject to AUP, for the 2 unlimited Clear plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

o2 iPhone plans are still competitive for Ireland, no? Yes it's pretty sickening when compare to o2 UK, but that is a different market, and always has been. They've always had better phones for free/cheaper than here, and usually better bundles too.

o2 weren't long to reveal that Steve Jobs can shove his 'at most $199 for 8GB' remark at the keynot anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Bought the iPhone here in Ireland on launch date March 14th, although I did expect a new version to come out sometime this year. The iPhone 3G to be honest is a bit of a disappointment to me as I use wifi at home and Edge is actually ok in Dublin and couldn't care less about GPS as would never use it. All the other new features and apps I will be able to use on 1st gen iphone.

Also disappointed me was the supposed price of the 3g iPhone as having shelled out €499 for the first gen iphone, the 2nd gen looks to be way cheaper (if O2 pass on this!). I guess this is the price for impatience in getting my hands on the iPhone and cost of being an early adopter...

I will wait for 3rd gen iphone which may actually deliver on the important things I was hoping for in software 2.0 like MMS, text forwarding, video recording and 32GB

Plus there is no incentive to an existing iPhone owner to switch as the deal is same for new and old customers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

£269 for PAYG in UK which is €340 here. That is quite good. The 8GB N95 is still more expensive AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

2 points

1- Yep - My 100 euro second-hand 1st gen iPhone will be a reality soon. :D

2 - Why are people bitching about O2 Irelands business strategy? As if unless they shift all the old iPhones right now, they'll disappear into thin air come July. Calm down lads, they will shift the phones, one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

who says they cant ship them back to apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Just read that the iPhone will be available in Portugal on July 11th with Vodafone.

As it happens I'll be in Portugal on July 11th. What are the chances of getting it simfree over there, or am I just as well to hold off and wait to buy one on ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

cgarvey wrote: »
    Not true on 2 counts. o2 Voicemail used be free on legacy plans. There is a charge on o2 Clear tarrifs with bundled minutes. The voicemail call comes out of your bundled minutes, and there's a charge once you've used up your bundled minutes. This doesn't apply, subject to AUP, for the 2 unlimited Clear plans.

Did nt know about the legacy (I was referring to the tariffs this decade...:D),

Ok fair enough but O2 Clear differs from the previous plans in that the calls to voicemail are allowable from the allocated minutes now - whereas previously you were always charged regardless of your allocate minutes.

Not free I stand corrected there but inclusive now nonetheless unlike before

edit

whats AUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

will the 3g iphone be different than the iphone (besides the 3g)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I still dont get the problem with the O2 1GB cap. I got an 8GB on the day it came out and have used internet, email, YouTube etc etc and haven't even come close to going over that per month. Yes there are better packages elsewhere but can someone in here put their hand up and say they have gone over the 1GB limit on an iPhone in a month...?

What does annoy me is that I shelled out €399 on launch day and if i had have waited it would've only cost me €169... dam it I'm sore about that...! Also there is no mention of SMS forwarding or flash website viewing in iPhone 2 software. Also its a pity they couldn't have done a bit more with the bluetooth functionality...!

Rats

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just read elsewhere, there maybe a way to get a 3G iPhone from the US if you know someone living there.

1) Get them to buy the 3G iPhone with a contract
    2) Immediately cancel the contract with the $175 cancelation fee.

So the 16GB iPhone would cost $300 + $175 = $475 or €302

So the same cost as the 16GB iPhone from o2, but without the crap contract for 18 months*.

* One thing to watch out for, if you use 3G, then you'll end up paying a fortune on any other tariff, they typically charge 1c per KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

At&T have come out saying that there will be a penalty for people who buy an Iphone 3g and don't activate it.

I'd say o2 could well do the same with their PAYG phones in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

bk wrote: »
    Just read elsewhere, there maybe a way to get a 3G iPhone from the US if you know someone living there.

1) Get them to buy the 3G iPhone with a contract
    2) Immediately cancel the contract with the $175 cancelation fee.

So the 16GB iPhone would cost $300 + $175 = $475 or €302

So the same cost as the 16GB iPhone from o2, but without the crap contract for 18 months*.

* One thing to watch out for, if you use 3G, then you'll end up paying a fortune on any other tariff, they typically charge 1c per KB.

Good thinking mate, that could be the way forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement