Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

Works beautifully with the bluetooth system in my car. Displays Missed calls, dialled numbers, phonebook etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so does anyone know how much it would set me back if i used 3g in sapin for maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

from o2 forum conerning roaming charges abroad

"I'm afraid data charges remain at €4.95 per MB"

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=817

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Video streaming app now available..

Details here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I'm having trouble getting 3G to work on my iPhone. There's an E where the 3G normally is. Shud I turn on Data Roaming when in Ireland and off when abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 niai

Dades wrote: »
    Apart from Shazam - which works really well - the only other free one I've used is the currency converter (you should find it easy - green icon).

I've been trying to find a decent radio app like the Pandora one which we can't get in Europe. :mad:

Any way around getting US-only apps without having a US iTunes a/c I wonder?
    i have it i made a usa itunes account and downloaded it seen no had cracked the app but if u want it here my upload http://rapidshare.com/files/137343141/iiphone_usa_radio_apps__niai_.rar

got to crack in there is a readme flow that if u wat to install the .ipa files or just ssh the app folder if u like that way more

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

I will be moving to Australia in a month - I was wondering if i were to get the iphone before i leave, and *if* i were to renege on the o2 contract, is there anyway they could make my iphone defunct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Since I installed Solitare a couple of days ago, every application I've installed has crashed on the iPhone. Doing a restore as I write this.

It's a pain that I have to do a restore, but at the same time, the way it functions within iTunes is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

so does anyone know how much it would set me back if i used 3g in sapin for maps?

A mate of mine used his iPhone gps in london for 10 mins and got a bill for €70

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Has anybody tried the Simplify Media app yet.

You can use it to stream music from your home pc (or a friends) to the iphone via wifi, edge or 3g.

Simply amazing, and next to Palringo, the best app so far imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just tried Simplify Media - free for the first 100,000 downloads then $4.00. Works very well over WiFi even gives you artist Bios and lyrics!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Stephen P wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting 3G to work on my iPhone. There's an E where the 3G normally is. Shud I turn on Data Roaming when in Ireland and off when abroad?

You don't need data roaming on while at home - you're at home, so you're not roaming and hence the setting does not apply. Off or on won't make any difference.

When you're away, I'd leave it off unless you have deep pockets or really need the data connection in an emergency.

My conclusion: Leave it off all the time. That way you won't accidentally run up a huge bill when you go abroad and forget to turn it off.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

A mate of mine used his iPhone gps in london for 10 mins and got a bill for €70

Assuming he's on the €45 plan then he did approximately:

(70 - 45) / 5 =~ 7 MB

of traffic in that 10 mins.

It's €4.95/MB for roaming Edge/3G. Highway robbery IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

all you need to do to use the map feature abroad is load the map in a wifi area turn off data roaming, so you dont get hit with charges and then the map will remain cached in the phone and you can still use gps to locate you, you wont be able to search for locations or directions but at least you have a map and know were you are on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Rob_l wrote: »
    all you need to do to use the map feature abroad is load the map in a wifi area turn off data roaming, so you dont get hit with charges and then the map will remain cached in the phone and you can still use gps to locate you, you wont be able to search for locations or directions but at least you have a map and know were you are on it

Does it keep all locations cashed until they're overwritten by new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I will be moving to Australia in a month - I was wondering if i were to get the iphone before i leave, and *if* i were to renege on the o2 contract, is there anyway they could make my iphone defunct?

Possibly as they can screw with imei (or whatever its called) on other phones.

Not to mention if you ever move back you have a big X on your name when it comes to lines of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

grizzly wrote: »
    Does it keep all locations cashed until they're overwritten by new ones?

Good question but Im not sure I dont want to give a definite answer and it be wrong if you search for one location it will keep that one yes but I dont know about multiple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

digitaldr wrote: »
    Just tried Simplify Media - free for the first 100,000 downloads then $4.00. Works very well over WiFi even gives you artist Bios and lyrics!

Just downloaded this. When I connect to my itunes library only some of the artists come up....eg. O to Z is missing! Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

4 iPhones available in Maynooth CPW Now! Only available to new customers unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

I downloaded Simplify Media and tried it on iPhone. It does stream all my iTunes library from my computer which is fairly amazing but after a minute or so of using it my iPhone started to get very, very hot so I shut down the application immediately as a precaution.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I being paranoid in not wanting to use the application in case it's over-heating iPhone and perhaps doing damage to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Victor_M wrote: »
    4 iPhones available in Maynooth CPW Now! Only available to new customers unfortunately.

Some black 16Gb available in CPW on Henry Street this morning. Available to current customers who are entitled to an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Barty wrote: »
    Some black 16Gb available in CPW on Henry Street this morning. Available to current customers who are entitled to an upgrade.

Are they still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

can anyone recommend a decent case for iPhone 3G not too bulky?

Quick data usage question:

I'm not very tech savy - is the 1GB data usage limit the amount that I have used on iPhone the amount "received" or "sent"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

1gB applies to data send AND received. You need to count both.
    Quick data usage question:

I'm not very tech savy - is the 1GB data usage limit the amount that I have used on iPhone the amount "received" or "sent"?

Thanks Elderlemon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

eamon234 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a decent case for iPhone 3G not too bulky?
    Griffin Wave is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fiona3953

:D Finally i got my phone i am so delighted!
    I rang on a whim and 3 in maynooth so off i sped and sure enough i was the first in and it was 4pm!!
    It's my first time to own an iphone and so delighted! I downloaded Crash Bandicoot the driving game and the technology is fantastic! It's like playing a psp!!

Anyone got any tips on MSN for this fantastic device i had a look but couldn't find anything on the apps store!
    Any other tips and tricks to an amateur owner??

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd say with the rain, lots of people are just staying away from the shops.

I'm still undecided about the iPhone, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

really impressed with it after 4 days.

good points -
    screen is amazing.
    really like the chat style sms app.
    the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but once you do and trust the autocorrect you can get pretty quick.
    video quality is excellent on the screen
    Ipod superb of course.
    Youtube app is really good and streams perfectly (however also a bad point, see below)
    Gps is really nice to have, but is a bit slow to pinpoint you accurately.
    3G speeds are really good if in coverage, which I have at home and work.
    (generally getting 900Kbps from testmyiphone)
    Safari browser with multitouch makes every website pretty usable, miles better
    than any other smartphone I have used, eg normal boards site is easy to
    navigate.
    email app is nice, using exchange and gmail on it and works well. Opening attachments
    with doc viewer is a step up from symbian for me.
    Calendar app month view is very nice with preview of each days appts without having to
    leave the month view.
    Calculator with science mode in widescreen is handy as is stopwatch/timer.
    1GB cap looks fine to me at the mo, used 120MB in 5 days of pretty heavy use. See
    proviso below though.

Bad points:
    Moving around can be a bit laggy, I have a lot of contacts and serious delay getting
    in and out of it to pick numbers/email addresses etc
    As noted on Web, it moves to Edge only quite easily. Been a few places now that am
    sure had coverage but iphone says not.
    Itunes is a pos, hate having to use it again.
    Battery life isn't great, once a day charge required for any decent use.
    You tube quality is poor, they've optimised it for streaming, making the block sizes way to big. So you get perfect streaming but quality is very poor. Ok for talking heads, not good for sports or quick moving music video. You can't log into your youtube account to see your favourites either which is a disaster.
    No task/to do syncing with exchange, only email, contacts and calendar. Really annoying to have this missing as this syncs on my E65 and I use it a lot.
    1GB cap will limit some of newer apps usability, trialling various radio apps and the streaming itunes one over 3G. Acccess to your entire itunes library wherever you are would be amazing, but both of these apps would kill the 1GB cap in no time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement