Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

fiona3953 wrote: »
    :D Finally i got my phone i am so delighted!
    I rang on a whim and 3 in maynooth so off i sped and sure enough i was the first in and it was 4pm!!
    It's my first time to own an iphone and so delighted! I downloaded Crash Bandicoot the driving game and the technology is fantastic! It's like playing a psp!!

Anyone got any tips on MSN for this fantastic device i had a look but couldn't find anything on the apps store!
    Any other tips and tricks to an amateur owner??

Cheers :D

Were you upgrading or new business?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Has anyone had any problems as yet? My wife works for o2 and they have had quite a few iphones returned with problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems as yet? My wife works for o2 and they have had quite a few iphones returned with problems.

What type of problems?

nava wrote: »
    What type of problems?

Losing connections to cell towers, data issues, phones dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm not surprised, cracks in the plastic Housing, bad batteries, dead pixels, dusk under the screen, backlight bleeding through... they are chucking them out so quickly that quality control is suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fiona3953

Victor_M wrote: »
    Were you upgrading or new business?

To be honest i decided to change my number so it was fairly easy.
    I brought in my drivers' license and 2 bills and 10mins later off I trotted new phone in hand! :D It was the CPW in Maynooth and they're very helpful and friendly in there not like on Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 james_c

i am currently with meteor and ive been offered an iphone.....does it work on the meteor network?.......is they're 3g operational like O2?

sorry if this has been addressed already here but i didnt have time to look through 120 pages of forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

james_c wrote: »
    i am currently with meteor and ive been offered an iphone.....does it work on the meteor network?.......is they're 3g operational like O2?

sorry if this has been addressed already here but i didnt have time to look through 120 pages of forum!!

Offered an iphone? As in from a friend or from a shop?

Technically they are locked to the o2 network and can only be used on it, if it's new you also need to sign up to an 18 month contract.

colm_c wrote: »

Technically they are locked to the o2 network and can only be used on it, if it's new you also need to sign up to an 18 month contract.

There are loads of sim adaptors out there to unlock them so they will work with other networks. Just do a search on ebay. As for Meteor, they will work if unlocked but I don't think Meteor SIMS are 3G yet.

colm_c wrote: »

i can get if from a friend, its unlocked and sim free......im sure it will make calls etc on meteor, but im more worried about the whole internet side of things which is essentially what sets the iphone apart from other mobiles.

has anybody on here got one currently working on meteor?

• Advertisement

also...one more question.....whats the main difference between the first release and the new iphone? besides memory?.......cos i know you can get them updated to version 2.0 so they work with the new app's etc........besides that and the headphone jack, is there any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Losing connections to cell towers, data issues, phones dying.

Lots of online articles saying there are big problems with the Infinion 3G chipset causing loss of 3G signal, dropped calls and weak signal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1449066620080814?sp=true

http://www.betanews.com/article/Reports_Apple_set_to_fix_iPhone_3G_connectivity_in_update/1218826614

i can get if from a friend, its unlocked and sim free......im sure it will make calls etc on meteor, but im more worried about the whole internet side of things which is essentially what sets the iphone apart from other mobiles.

has anybody on here got one currently working on meteor?

I have already said that Meteor SIMS are not 3G. Given that, you won't get full internet capability on an iphone connected to Meteor through a Meteor SIM. To get full internet you need a 3G SIM card.

also...one more question.....whats the main difference between the first release and the new iphone? besides memory?.......cos i know you can get them updated to version 2.0 so they work with the new app's etc........besides that and the headphone jack, is there any difference?

The 3G phone has a built in GPS receiver which the first gen ones didn't.

I have already said that Meteor SIMS are not 3G. Given that, you won't get full internet capability on an iphone connected to Meteor through a Meteor SIM. To get full internet you need a 3G SIM card.

does vodafone have 3g? have meteor any plans to release such a service?

does vodafone have 3g? have meteor any plans to release such a service?

I am pretty sure that Vodafone do have 3G. Don't know about Meteor. They have been bought by Eircom according to sources in O2.

I am pretty sure that Vodafone do have 3G. Don't know about Meteor. They have been bought by Eircom according to sources in O2.

i just rang meteor there, they said that they will have 3g before the end of the year........anybody heard anything similar?

is there any point in gettin g the iphone without a 3g provider?

i just rang meteor there, they said that they will have 3g before the end of the year........anybody heard anything similar?

O2 do have 3G. My work phone SIM is a 3G SIM.

Just checked Vodafone and they do indeed have 3G.

3G is only a small part of the iPhone.

thats what im wondering......i dont know all that much about it.......like if i buy the 250mb data package for 9.99euro from meteor, will i be able to surf the net walking around town and check my emails etc?.......thats what im wondering like?........im in dublin if that makes any difference.........what does the 3g actually do?

• Advertisement

thats what im wondering......i dont know all that much about it.......like if i buy the 250mb data package for 9.99euro from meteor, will i be able to surf the net walking around town and check my emails etc?.......thats what im wondering like?........im in dublin if that makes any difference.........what does the 3g actually do?

3G is just the speed at which you can use the internet on your phone, nothing to do with data allowance/bundles.

If 3G isn't available then it goes to the next available option which is usually 2G or 2.5G.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

gives you quicker net/email access. My access runs at ~ 900Kbps on 3G, around 150 with 3G turned off.

Its about 4-5 times faster on average.

Basically it will work fine without 3G but slowly.

thanks lads.....much appreciated.......i was nearly very disappointed!!

so essentially the internet would work at the same speed as it does with my own phone at present.........it would make sense for meteor to try get 3g so, for example - their own blackberry customers etc who want internet on their phones..........i was under the impression that the 3g was solely for iphones.

so were the original iphones working off the same slow 2g internet so?.......if so and i get an original release will it work on 3g if meteor upgrade?.......or will the new ones only do that?

Incidentally, O2 are putting it about that the iPhone won't work off their network. It is complete BS on their part. Personally, I think anyone who signs up on an 18 month contract for one is mad given the difference between charges and call/data allowances between O2UK & O2IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fiona3953

Incidentally, O2 are putting it about that the iPhone won't work off their network. It is complete BS on their part. Personally, I think anyone who signs up on an 18 month contract for one is mad given the difference between charges and call/data allowances between O2UK & O2IE.

Well to be fair they are much cheaper than the first bout of iphones and you're given an allowance of 1gb a month of web browsing which is fine for browsing and most of the downloading i do is online when i've my laptop not on the phone it's not like you're using limewire on you iphone.

The guy in Carphone Warehouse even reccommended not buying the data add on as there is plenty for browsing anyway!

fiona3953 wrote: »
    Well to be fair they are much cheaper than the first bout of iphones and you're given an allowance of 1gb a month of web browsing which is fine for browsing and most of the downloading i do is online when i've my laptop not on the phone it's not like you're using limewire on you iphone.

The guy in Carphone Warehouse even reccommended not buying the data add on as there is plenty for browsing anyway!
    The charges are still well in excess of UK charges though. And the UK has no limit on data. Start getting work emails with attachments and you will very quickly eat up your paltry 1GB allowance. Basically we are the rip off republic again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The charges are still well in excess of UK charges though. And the UK has no limit on data. Start getting work emails with attachments and you will very quickly eat up your paltry 1GB allowance. Basically we are the rip off republic again.

we aren't in the UK though. You are saying you are mad to buy one but the minutes/text/data bundle is currently cheaper than anything from vodafone, 3G or meteor? Or are you saying don't buy any phone in Ireland?

Not sure what you work at but 1GB is an awful lot of work email attachments. I get a reasonable amount a day but 2-3MB at most, hardly going to make a dent in a 1GB month. Where the 1GB struggles is if you are streaming radio or video a lot.

copacetic wrote: »
    we aren't in the UK though. You are saying you are mad to buy one but the minutes/text/data bundle is currently cheaper than anything from vodafone, 3G or meteor? Or are you saying don't buy any phone in Ireland?

Not sure what you work at but 1GB is an awful lot of work email attachments. I get a reasonable amount a day but 2-3MB at most, hardly going to make a dent in a 1GB month. Where the 1GB struggles is if you are streaming radio or video a lot.

I agree we aren't the UK. That does not give O2 the right to give paltry call allowances on the iphone here when compared to the UK though does it? If people are stupid enough to sign up they deserve all they get. Go to carphone warehouse in Belfast and see the difference in prices! Or visit the IE & UK sites and compare the prices and allowances. People in the ROI are being ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I agree we aren't the UK. That does not give O2 the right to give paltry call allowances on the iphone here when compared to the UK though does it? If people are stupid enough to sign up they deserve all they get. Go to carphone warehouse in Belfast and see the difference in prices! Or visit the IE & UK sites and compare the prices and allowances. People in the ROI are being ripped off!

Irl €45
    Minutes 175 + Texts 100

UK £35 (which is €44.35)
    Minutes 600 + Texts 500

Yep :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Hi, quick question:

Is mobile internet any less secure than standard internet? I mean, if I'm online using iPhone and I use my credit card to buy something is it any less secure than from my computer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement