Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Hi, quick question:

Is mobile internet any less secure than standard internet? I mean, if I'm online using iPhone and I use my credit card to buy something is it any less secure than from my computer?

If the site you connect to is using SSL certificates you should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't do any financial transactions across an unsecured WiFi network or phone connection though. It just isn't worth the risk.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I agree we aren't the UK. That does not give O2 the right to give paltry call allowances on the iphone here when compared to the UK though does it? If people are stupid enough to sign up they deserve all they get. Go to carphone warehouse in Belfast and see the difference in prices! Or visit the IE & UK sites and compare the prices and allowances. People in the ROI are being ripped off!

let me ask in smalller words. You want a phone with data and calls and texts, you are in Ireland. The iphone bundle is good value for Ireland. What is your alternative?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If people are stupid enough to sign up they deserve all they get.
    I get an iPhone. And I'm delighted you feel I deserve it, thanks.
    Go to carphone warehouse in Belfast and see the difference in prices!
    Foreign Price Shocker!

Goods are different prices in different countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

I agree we aren't the UK. That does not give O2 the right to give paltry call allowances on the iphone here when compared to the UK though does it?
    Actually it does.

Prices in other countries are irrelevant as we can't access them here. Its not like you can go the the UK and bring back a cheap monthly plan.

O2's iPhone plans are reasonably competitive when compared with their non-iPhone plans and the plans on the other Irish networks and until someone shakes the market up, thats the way it will stay.

Whilst the UK plans are much better comparison, some of the other international iPhone carrier plans are ridiculous, with minimal inclusive calls and 100-250mb data caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

I agree. You can't compare countries, you can only compare the prices charged within a country.

After all, look at Canada, there you get charged when you RECEIVE text messages and phone calls!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Just to let you know 2.0.2 firmware now available from itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just to let you know 2.0.2 firmware now available from itunes
    Cheers.

I passed on upgrading to 2.0.1 as I heard it hardly fixed the bugs it was supposed to - such as laggy input on the keyboard occassionally. Let's hope this one is better.

Apparently it's supposed to fix the weak signal in 3G reception so definitely worth an update to you 3G iPhone users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Running iPhone 2.01. Brand new iPhone 3G, 5 days old and I'm going CRAZY. From dropped calls, to no 3G, to no EDGE to constant NO SERVICE. What is up with it! I notice the following today on sky news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Apple-iPhone-3G-Reception-Complaints-Flagship-Product-Under-Fire-On-Apples-Own-Website/Article/200808315081160?lpos=Business_1&lid=ARTICLE_15081160_Apple%2BiPhone%2B3G%2BReception%2BComplaints%253A%2BFlagship%2BProduct%2BUnder%2BFire%2BOn%2BApple%2527s%2BOwn%2BWebsite%2B

I don't know if I should just bring the thing back and ask for a refund, this is a screenshot of the service I get from mine in Dublin.

IMG_0003.PNG

O2 insist from many calls with them over the last two days that there isn't a problem with the device on their network.

Patrick,

Read the post above yours. Give the new firmware a shot... can't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yep, just seen 2.0.2. Downloading now!

• Advertisement

Yep, just seen 2.0.2. Downloading now!
    Let us know if things improve.. don't have the 3G iPhone meself, just a First Gen (2G), but I'd be interested to know if the firmware update does improve things.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not much help to you patrick but in south dublin I've had pretty much constant 3G since I got the phone last week. Had only edge in city centre on sat night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Running iPhone 2.01. Brand new iPhone 3G, 5 days old and I'm going CRAZY. From dropped calls, to no 3G, to no EDGE to constant NO SERVICE. What is up with it! I notice the following today on sky news .....
    I don't know if I should just bring the thing back and ask for a refund, this is a screenshot of the service I get from mine in Dublin.

O2 insist from many calls with them over the last two days that there isn't a problem with the device on their network.

The O2 network was bad there the other weekend and I have a few dropped called this week on a non iphone mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

My father is upgrading and is willing to give me the iphone, so i have a few q's.

I take it there'll be no problem in him continuing with the iphone plan on his current phone (K800i); he only uses the phone for calls / texts.

Will my PAYG o2 sim work fine with the iphone 3g for calls / texts while im in Ireland?

My main reason for getting it is to use it as an ipod / camera / wifi, while i am travelling for the next couple of months (saves me buying a ipod touch + camera) and obv as a phone when the unlock becomes available. Will I be able to access the internet via wifi when im abroad, if the iphone has no sim?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You wouldn't get an iPhone to use as a camera, as it's ****e. The PayG sim will work fine in it, but the internet will be very expensive so don't use it, bar WiFi, obviously.

Why would you have no sim in the phone when you're abroad? Roaming will still work.

My father is upgrading and is willing to give me the iphone, so i have a few q's. ....

You can't upgrade just the phone, you have to switch to the iPhone plan. It makes no sense for your dad to have a K800i on a iPhone plan with 1GB of data he won't use. Equally it makes no sense for you to have a iPhone on a regular plan, even with a data addon. Its just poor value for money for both of you. The only thing you could do is swap bills. He pays your bill and takes your number. You take his number and pay his bills. Its too complicated. Why can't you just get it yourself?

The iPhone camera is poor. If camera is important, you'd be better with a different phone. Or you'll just end up carrying a another camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Because of the poxy O2 service it seems impossible for me to extablish exactly how much of my data bundle I have left. I have seen earlier in the thread that some people reckon this is a first month of contract issue. So i'm wondering. in settings under usage it states I have recieved 135MB and sent 7.4MB. is this since I got the phone or since it was last turned off, and can this be an accurate account of my usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

ipod / camera / wifi

Another phone for you might be the Samsung Tocco it does have music player (not ipod) the camera is 5MP but doesn't have wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Running iPhone 2.01. Brand new iPhone 3G, 5 days old and I'm going CRAZY. From dropped calls, to no 3G, to no EDGE to constant NO SERVICE. What is up with it! I notice the following today on sky news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Apple-iPhone-3G-Reception-Complaints-Flagship-Product-Under-Fire-On-Apples-Own-Website/Article/200808315081160?lpos=Business_1&lid=ARTICLE_15081160_Apple%2BiPhone%2B3G%2BReception%2BComplaints%253A%2BFlagship%2BProduct%2BUnder%2BFire%2BOn%2BApple%2527s%2BOwn%2BWebsite%2B

Your not alone on this http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1662678

Apparently apple are saying there is a reception issue on approx 2% of the 3g iphones. A lot of people think its much higher than this. There maybe a software fix for this, although not hearing anything too encouraging from 2.0.2.

The 3g issue is strange. For me I get awful 3g reception in dublin city centre and d6/d14. Strangely in the outskirts of d24 I get full bars. Its almost as if its working better in less densley populated areas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

basquille wrote: »
    Let us know if things improve.. don't have the 3G iPhone meself, just a First Gen (2G), but I'd be interested to know if the firmware update does improve things.
    The contact selection seems a little more responsive for a start.

@patrickmooney, your situation sounds unlucky.
    I listen to the internet radio all the way into work - including in lifts!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm in trouble....

Tried to download the new 2.0.2 software from iTunes but kept getting error 2659 (network connection timed out) ...even though it is working perfectly.

So, I downloaded the file diectly from the apple servers.

Pointed itunes to the update file, extracts the software, then tells me that iPhone could not be updated - unknown error (5).

Now trying to restore, but I have to restore and update - but when it tries to download the update I get error 2659.

HELP!!! :(

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in trouble....

Tried to download the new 2.0.2 software from iTunes but kept getting error 2659 (network connection timed out) ...even though it is working perfectly.

So, I downloaded the file diectly from the apple servers.

Pointed itunes to the update file, extracts the software, then tells me that iPhone could not be updated - unknown error (5).

Now trying to restore, but I have to restore and update - but when it tries to download the update I get error 2659.

HELP!!! :(
    You will need to download the v2.0.0.1 update then put the iphone into DFU mode. Itunes will see it as needing a restore so then you can point iTunes to the older file and restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Arathorn wrote: »
    Apparently apple are saying there is a reception issue on approx 2% of the 3g iphones. A lot of people think its much higher than this. There maybe a software fix for this, although not hearing anything too encouraging from 2.0.2.

The 3g issue is strange. For me I get awful 3g reception in dublin city centre and d6/d14. Strangely in the outskirts of d24 I get full bars. Its almost as if its working better in less densley populated areas

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. When I'm at home in my apartment I get the full 3G reception but when I'm in work in the city centre I either get 1 bar of 3G or it reverts to EDGE. Really hope this problem is resolved soon.

Also, is anyone else finding that phone call reception is fairly crackly and not very clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 james_c

right, ive decided to buy an iphone, but i still have a dilema - i can either get a “good as new” 8g original version or i can get a new 16g from the middle east where my sister lives (which im sure they’ll jailbreak soon)………im on a meteor contract so ill be using my meteor sim........ive 2 questions:

1: is 3g the only real difference between them - since you can update the old ones to v 2.0….after reading all the bad feedback about the new ones - signal down, no 3g etc…….am i better getting the original “problem free” iphone

2: does 3g make that much of a difference? and if meteor upgrade their networkk to run 3g, will the old phones internet speed get faster too, or will it only be capable of 2g?

james_c wrote: »
    right, ive decided to buy an iphone, but i still have a dilema - i can either get a “good as new” 8g original version or i can get a new 16g from the middle east where my sister lives (which im sure they’ll jailbreak soon)………im on a meteor contract so ill be using my meteor sim........ive 2 questions:

1: is 3g the only real difference between them - since you can update the old ones to v 2.0….after reading all the bad feedback about the new ones - signal down, no 3g etc…….am i better getting the original “problem free” iphone

2: does 3g make that much of a difference? and if meteor upgrade their networkk to run 3g, will the old phones internet speed get faster too, or will it only be capable of 2g?
    You can already jail break the 3G and you can get sim adaptors to unlock them too. If it is a version 1 phone you can update the software to the 3G version. You won't get GPS though. Better to get the 3G version. Meteor are upgrading to 3G by the end of the year apparently. 3G is twice as fast as Edge.

You can already jail break the 3G and you can get sim adaptors to unlock them too. If it is a version 1 phone you can update the software to the 3G version. You won't get GPS though. Better to get the 3G version. Meteor are upgrading to 3G by the end of the year apparently. 3G is twice as fast as Edge.

thanks for that...so the version 1 phone will actually work at 3g speeds once meteor update their system?....cos that is important to me for internet speeds etc.

excuse my ignorance but is the gps the function the thing where it pinpoints you on google earth?....tbh while i can see it being handy, it wouldn't make or break it for me.

are you sure it can be jailbroken? my cousin works for apple and he seems to be under the impression that they cant?....great news if they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

I'd just like to make a point about streaming and how everyone is worried about going over there limit,

I have had the phone now for 3 weeks and listen too the radio for about 1.5 to 2hrs a day plus about an average of 40 mins of you tube a day,

I'm no where near my limit for 1 gig in fact i'm not even at 250 mb's yet and since you can't get onto itunes without wireless I personally don't think you could go over the limit except in the first month when it has the novelty of using it all the time.

james_c wrote: »
    thanks for that...so the version 1 phone will actually work at 3g speeds once meteor update their system?....cos that is important to me for internet speeds etc.

excuse my ignorance but is the gps the function the thing where it pinpoints you on google earth?....tbh while i can see it being handy, it wouldn't make or break it for me.

are you sure it can be jailbroken? my cousin works for apple and he seems to be under the impression that they cant?....great news if they can

That is Apple trying to BS everyone. I have a jail broken one. I did it just last night.

GPS is very handy. Great for finding your way to somewhere if you don't know.

• Advertisement

That is Apple trying to BS everyone. I have a jail broken one. I did it just last night.

GPS is very handy. Great for finding your way to somewhere if you don't know.

cool, any chace you'd pm me the link to the site you used for jailbreaking the phone or tell me how you did it?

ive no doubt that the gps is handy, all i was saying is that it wouldnt make or break whether i get a new or old phone.

and sorry to ask the same question AGAIN! but will the version 1 phones work at 3g speeds when meteor upgrades?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement