Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

james_c wrote: »
    but will the version 1 phones work at 3g speeds when meteor upgrades?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 james_c

copacetic wrote: »
    No.

poo :(

is there that much of a difference in speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

james_c wrote: »
    poo :(

is there that much of a difference in speed?

3G is twice as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

dblennon wrote: »
    I'd just like to make a point about streaming and how everyone is worried about going over there limit,

I have had the phone now for 3 weeks and listen too the radio for about 1.5 to 2hrs a day plus about an average of 40 mins of you tube a day,

I'm no where near my limit for 1 gig in fact i'm not even at 250 mb's yet and since you can't get onto itunes without wireless I personally don't think you could go over the limit except in the first month when it has the novelty of using it all the time.

that's good to hear. can you tell me what app you use to stream or do you just go directly to the radio station's website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

My father is upgrading and is willing to give me the iphone, so i have a few q's.

I take it there'll be no problem in him continuing with the iphone plan on his current phone (K800i); he only uses the phone for calls / texts.

Will my PAYG o2 sim work fine with the iphone 3g for calls / texts while im in Ireland?

My main reason for getting it is to use it as an ipod / camera / wifi, while i am travelling for the next couple of months (saves me buying a ipod touch + camera) and obv as a phone when the unlock becomes available. Will I be able to access the internet via wifi when im abroad, if the iphone has no sim?

Cheers

Also no discount for upgrades -- same price whether you're upgrading/porting/new number - so no real incentive to upgrade and give the handset to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OCD wrote: »
    that's good to hear. can you tell me what app you use to stream or do you just go directly to the radio station's website?
    You can't stream via the iPhone the same way you would through a browser on a PC - it doesn't support streaming audio or video - even through Safari. Therefore you need to access radio stations via an app which is a pain in the ass, as Apple don't really provide much in the way of decent apps for Irish users.

Someone here recommended me the €0.79 allRadio app (which at least has Phantom FM) and has hundreds of stations from all other the world. Best I've seen yet (for Irish users anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

thanks!

would be interested to see what app dblennon is using. not really into phantom but what i really want to access is newstalk and today fm. bbc radio 5 would be cool too!

How about this one for radio?

andrewh5 wrote: »
    3G is twice as fast

3G is much more than twice as fast as edge, so far on my phone it
    it varies from 5-7 times as fast as edge.

eg 900Kbps rather than 150Kbps when testing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/18/iphone-firmware-2-0-2-released/

Early reports:

- Subjective reports of things being faster (though these reports are common with any update)
    - No consensus on improved 3G connectivity
    - iPod Touch firmware 2.0.2 also released
    - Netshare still works

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    3G is much more than twice as fast as edge, so far on my phone it
    it varies from 5-7 times as fast as edge.

eg 900Kbps rather than 150Kbps when testing today.

Wow! That is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

My laptop got stolen last week. Luckily it didn't have too much personal information on it. However it did have all my music and photos which weren't backed up onto anything except my new iPhone 3G. If I get a new laptop, itunes will see that my library is synced with a different laptop and try and erase whats on my iphone before I can sync, right? However, if I jailbreak it before trying to do a sync will I be able to copy those files across to my laptop??

Cheers

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I think I'm in that 2%. the 2.0.0.2 did nothing. I was walking through Dublin south city center today on a work conf call to be disconnected three times, I was hard set to edge only. Went to the gym, right beside the O2 HQ along the quays, one bar on 3G. On the Dart coming home it displayed NO SERVICE on Edge for at least 1/3 of the way home resulting in a crash of the email.app and loosing data in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Try selecting Manually Manage Music. You may be able to copy it over. Failing that, there are numerous programs that can copy from an iPod to iTunes. Google be your friend here.

just downloaded 2.0.2, definitely seeing faster access to contacts.
    No extra bars on 3G for me, but wasn't having issues to begin with.
    Still same download speed test result of 800-900Kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Right guys, have had iPhone 3G now since the 5th August and the phone is suddenly having a serious problem.. I am quite miffed!

About 5.30 this evening it started getting "no service" and has been that way ever since! This is at home btw, never had any problems before with the signal on it here, though it was never at full bars like my previous phones. I live in a very well covered area of South Dublin. I naturally didnt want to think that my precious iPhone was faulty, so I called customer care to see if there was some sort of signal fault in the area. She said there wasnt, and suggested I try the sim in another phone, and surprise surprise, the phone got signal! So my iPhone is suddenly faulty now after 2 weeks of it operating reasonably well.

I updated to 2.02 about 7.30, it made not one bit of difference.

Customer care lady says if it is visibly faulty I should be able to get a replacement in the shop (30 days to bring it for replacement), but they will probably send my phone to apple to be repaired. So I have to go in tomorrow with it and see what can be done. I doubt there is any stock at the moment for them to give me a replacement?

Also, when I got it, there was a small crack- or perhaps a hair under the screen, which I didnt complain about as I knew I had no hope of getting a replacement unit in any realistic time. But that coupled with this signal problem has really annoyed me.. they must have been putting these phones together at such a rate that quality control has suffered?

So my question for all the boardsie iPhone users out there, anyone experiencing similar problems? A quick scan over the 02 forums and i've not seen any big complaints about this sort of problem.

(Oh and by the way, ive been treating this phone like you would the holy grail or a small child, havent dropped it and have kept it very protected from the elements so im sure i have not damaged it in any way myself!)

Thanks for listening guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Right guys, have had iPhone 3G now since the 5th August and the phone is suddenly having a serious problem.. I am quite miffed!

About 5.30 this evening it started getting "no service" and has been that way ever since! This is at home btw, never had any problems before with the signal on it here, though it was never at full bars like my previous phones. I live in a very well covered area of South Dublin. I naturally didnt want to think that my precious iPhone was faulty, so I called customer care to see if there was some sort of signal fault in the area. She said there wasnt, and suggested I try the sim in another phone, and surprise surprise, the phone got signal! So my iPhone is suddenly faulty now after 2 weeks of it operating reasonably well.

I updated to 2.02 about 7.30, it made not one bit of difference.

Customer care lady says if it is visibly faulty I should be able to get a replacement in the shop (30 days to bring it for replacement), but they will probably send my phone to apple to be repaired. So I have to go in tomorrow with it and see what can be done. I doubt there is any stock at the moment for them to give me a replacement?

Also, when I got it, there was a small crack- or perhaps a hair under the screen, which I didnt complain about as I knew I had no hope of getting a replacement unit in any realistic time. But that coupled with this signal problem has really annoyed me.. they must have been putting these phones together at such a rate that quality control has suffered?

So my question for all the boardsie iPhone users out there, anyone experiencing similar problems? A quick scan over the 02 forums and i've not seen any big complaints about this sort of problem.

(Oh and by the way, ive been treating this phone like you would the holy grail or a small child, havent dropped it and have kept it very protected from the elements so im sure i have not damaged it in any way myself!)

Thanks for listening guys! :)

Im having exactly the same connection problems as you. Had the phone 2 weeks. After the update to 2.02 today its worse if anything. I can get a strong signal using another phone with the sim but mostly no signal (not even normal never mind 3g) with the iPhone and even if i do get signal its very weak. Dropped calls galore.

Then at other times its up to the full strength 3g signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Im having exactly the same connection problems as you. Had the phone 2 weeks. After the update to 2.02 today its worse if anything. I can get a strong signal using another phone with the sim but mostly no signal (not even normal never mind 3g) with the iPhone and even if i do get signal its very weak. Dropped calls galore.

Then at other times its up to the full strength 3g signal.

Ditto -am in Dublin 24. . .'No Service'. . have a PAUG 02 Nokia right next to my iphone and that has coverage (that phone is only worth €49!) WTF is going on ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ims

Ditto -am in Dublin 24. . .'No Service'. . have a PAUG 02 Nokia right next to my iphone and that has coverage (that phone is only worth €49!) WTF is going on ???

I have the same issue in Dublin 24. I notice that iPhone is catching service when you switch off 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

umm thats not good, mine is till fine, upgrading to 2.02 at the moment

• Advertisement

It is slightly comforting that i'm not alone with this problem I must say!

I turned off 3G just now and have had full signal bars for a whole 2 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

I'm the same. Have perfect 3G reception at home but as soon as i go into Dublin city centre i get one bar of 3G at most and then it usually reverts to EDGE.

Very peculiar indeed. Let's hope the guys at Apple figure this one out and solve it ...fast.

This is really starting to fock me off, spent 40 mins downloading the latest update via itunes and whilst it was doing the business I had full service. . .the download finishes and the phone reboots, I put in the unlock SIM code and it goes straight to 'No Service' :mad::mad::mad::mad:

To bad I don't have to make an emergency call, I don't have a landline so I'm focked at the moment.

sheepshagger: perhaps try turning off your 3g function, go to settings > general > network > and set "Enable 3G " to off.

Its obviously only a temporary solution if youre desperate for calls and texts tonight, and it might not even work for you but it seems to have worked for me.. (for the last half hour or so)

Still "no service" at all if I switch back on the 3G reception.

What bugs me is that when there is no 3G reception it is supposed to revert to Edge.. but in this case it doesnt at all and the phone is blind.. you seem to have to manually switch the 3G off, which would suggest there is a serious fault with the 3G antenna.

sheepshagger: perhaps try turning off your 3g function, go to settings > general > network > and set "Enable 3G " to off.

Its obviously only a temporary solution if youre desperate for calls and texts tonight, and it might not even work for you but it seems to have worked for me.. (for the last half hour or so)

Still "no service" at all if I switch back on the 3G reception.

What bugs me is that when there is no 3G reception it is supposed to revert to Edge.. but in this case it doesnt at all and the phone is blind.. you seem to have to manually switch the 3G off, which would suggest there is a serious fault with the 3G antenna.

Don't even have 3G on as it is using the wireless connection (NTL) in the apartment.

Yeah mine is using my wireless connection at home too, but it is still set to connect to 3G network for your phone and sms services.. anyway I would suggest trying to switch the 3G off just to see if it can restore your phone and sms services, it cant hurt to try? Worked for me after "no service" for 5 hours... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Off the connection issue topic...

Amazing app alert! Has anyone tried the app "Shazam"? Have you ever heard a piece of music or a song and wondered what it is? Well, this app answers that. When you hear a song and want to know what it is you turn this app on, hold iPhone near the sound and ten seconds later the app tells you the name of the song, the artist who recorded it, the album it's on, etc.

Amazing!

...and it's a free app.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep.. Shazam is top notch.

Midomi also does it.. but also has the added feature of letting you hum or sing a song yourself to recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

basquille wrote: »
    Midomi also does it.. but also has the added feature of letting you hum or sing a song yourself to recognise it.

Did it worked for you, I had it on and didn't worked with a couple of song but Shazam was able to get them

• Advertisement

Yeah mine is using my wireless connection at home too, but it is still set to connect to 3G network for your phone and sms services.. anyway I would suggest trying to switch the 3G off just to see if it can restore your phone and sms services, it cant hurt to try? Worked for me after "no service" for 5 hours... ;)

Thanks - did it - still 'No Service' :(

Even when 3G was switched on it would flick to 02 Service every 15-20 mins (I would get a text) but by the time I tried to reply it would be gone again :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement