Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

nava wrote: »
    I wouldn't upgrade in your case, in my house use to have 3g but sinde the upgrade I don't get 3g but Edge. There are talking about another upgrade of firmware in September.

I find that after the upgrade there is less lag BUT the phone reception is much worse even than it was before. Sorry i upgraded at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I find that after the upgrade there is less lag BUT the phone reception is much worse even than it was before. Sorry i upgraded at all.

It is possible to roll back the upgrade.
    You can download the pervious file here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

andrewh5 wrote: »
    It is possible to roll back the upgrade.
    You can download the pervious file here

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Seems a shame though, but it more important as a phone to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

These issues must be hardware related, I mean we are downloading the same firmware, I have been using my phone for over a month and have no issues, ok 3G reception isn't as strong as some devices but that will always vary depending on the hardware.

I upgraded to 2.02 and everything is still the exact same.

Just found this interesting story. It seems it is hardware related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

smackyB wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas please??

you should be able to get the photos from the current 'camera roll' using the windows Apple iPhone "Camera Connected" pop-up that comes up when you first connect. Its the last option on my pop-up dialog in WinXP

Anything else like music or photos which you have sync'd with the pc are most likely unrecoverable.

I have seen this question asked several times on different iPhone forums but no solution.
    I think MAC users have some iSync or WiSync software that can be used on JailBroken phones.... you might need to find a friendly MAC user willing to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

My iPhone is now achingly slow in navigating all parts of the phone - contacts, sms, settings, etc.

What is going on?!

Anyone else having these problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My iPhone is now achingly slow in navigating all parts of the phone - contacts, sms, settings, etc.

What is going on?!

Anyone else having these problems?
    Are you on the 2.0.2 firmware?

basquille wrote: »
    Are you on the 2.0.2 firmware?

Roll it back if you are.

From what I have read on the worldwide Apple forums, more people are having issues with this update than improvements so far.

Yeah, i am.

Really? You think I should go back to 2.0.1?

What are your thoughts Basquille? Would u agree that I should roll it back?

• Advertisement

Update on connection issues:

I just spoke to a guy in O2 Experience on Grafton Street. He said that the O2 3G network in Dublin had been having problems over the last few days.

So maybe our iPhone's aren't as bad as previously thought.

I just spoke to a guy in O2 Experience on Grafton Street. He said that the O2 3G network in Dublin had been having problems over the last few days.

Interesting. None of our Blackberry users at work have reported issues though and we use O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Flobbed off so you were. Easier to blame network issues then the phone.

Gonna wait for a few weeks now to see how this pans out.
    May just get a Samsung Omnia instead.

The_Edge wrote: »
    Flobbed off so you were. Easier to blame network issues then the phone.

Gonna wait for a few weeks now to see how this pans out.
    May just get a Samsung Omnia instead.
    Yeah, I thought I was being fobbed off but then I realised that I hadn't mentioned "iPhone". I just told him I had had 3G connection issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

What build weeks are causing problems (4th and 5th digit of serial number). Is there any common problem in hardware or is all of this software related? My own phone is build week 30 and I haven't seen any of the 3g connection issues

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I had little or no 3G signal for Monday and Tuesday. I live and work near Dublin city centre so I don't know if it was a local network issue or a handset issue. Apparently the signal problems reported in the USA are more noticeable in large urban areas so perhaps capacity has a part to play in the problem. Upgrading to the latest firmware didn't fix it, the problem persisted for several hours after the upgrade.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mine is week 31 and no issues for me either. 2.0.2 update made interface, contacts etc quicker in general but not noticed anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

IRLConor wrote: »
    I had little or no 3G signal for Monday and Tuesday. I live and work near Dublin city centre so I don't know if it was a local network issue or a handset issue. Apparently the signal problems reported in the USA are more noticeable in large urban areas so perhaps capacity has a part to play in the problem. Upgrading to the latest firmware didn't fix it, the problem persisted for several hours after the upgrade.

I am using mine mainly up and done the West coast - Sligo, Mayo, Galway without problems, other than certain areas just don't have coverage as per O2's coverage maps. I read somewhere that the size of the 3G cells contracts with additional users, can anyone verify this?, so if a lot of users suddenly try and use your local 3G cell tower, your coverage disappears around the outer areas...even if you are stationary :confused: Could this be causing the problems in large urban areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I wouldn't go by O2s coverage maps. On the public site, they have Clonmel with full 3G coverage. Not a jot of it, with any phone. O2 store in Clonmel said that the site is wrong and the tech support said there's no masts in the area that support 3G.

New one for me, no data connection for last hour even though I have 3 bars of 3G. Getting a 'PDP authentication error'.

Guessing it is an O2 issue from a quick search, anyone getting the same error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i've got a 2G phone, can't get an edge connection either....good to see its not just me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Same problem here no connection with 2 lines and 3G

not sure why that makes me feel better but it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

looks like we're back..

yep, me too. thanks for tip.

What's the story with making international calls on iPhone? I tried calling someone in London and the phone wouldn't let me. I then tried a few other EU phone numbers and they were all inaccessible.

sounds like your 02 account isn't set up for it.

copacetic wrote: »

Yeah, that's probably it.

By the way, if anyone's looking for a White 16GB or 8GB iPhone they're in stock on [url]www.o2.ie:[/url]

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Find+out+more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

CivilEx wrote: »
    What build weeks are causing problems (4th and 5th digit of serial number). Is there any common problem in hardware or is all of this software related? My own phone is build week 30 and I haven't seen any of the 3g connection issues

Mine is 26 and I am also having no real issues apart from lagging screens but the latest upgrade does seem to have fixed this, but I wont really know until i have played with it for a few days

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »

Just seen this on O2's website:

If you require International services, you will need to contact Customer Care on 1909. If you can provide us with three months invoices from another operator e.g. Vodafone or Meteor, then we will be able to activate you for International calls. If you do not have such invoices then after 3 months tenure as an O2 Pay monthly customer you can apply for International Calls. If you have an average spend of over €50 per month and you have no outstanding payments or bad debt issues then we will be able to activate you for International Calls at that point.

So, I have to wait 3 MONTHS before I can make any international calls?! That's insane! I mean, it's not like I'd be calling abroad a lot but it's a phone - the customer should to able to use it to make calls.

(I'm transferring from O2 Speakeasy to Billpay for iPhone so I won't have those invoices they're looking for...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement