Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

I just rang O2 Customer Care regarding International Calls. At the end of the call I asked about Visual Voicemail. The agent put me on hold and spoke to the technical team at O2. She came back and said that she didn't have any info regardng Visual Voicemail but that they had been told by Apple that Video Calls would be coming in "a couple of weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Video Calling? But they've no camera at the front.. and the mic is at the front.

So you'll have the camera pointing at you (from a distance that you can see your entire face presumably) trying to speak into a mic on the opposite side of the phone - it'll pick it up but won't sound great I'd imagine.

It's feasible but odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Just seen this on O2's website:

If you require International services, you will need to contact Customer Care on 1909. If you can provide us with three months invoices from another operator e.g. Vodafone or Meteor, then we will be able to activate you for International calls. If you do not have such invoices then after 3 months tenure as an O2 Pay monthly customer you can apply for International Calls. If you have an average spend of over €50 per month and you have no outstanding payments or bad debt issues then we will be able to activate you for International Calls at that point.

So, I have to wait 3 MONTHS before I can make any international calls?! That's insane! I mean, it's not like I'd be calling abroad a lot but it's a phone - the customer should to able to use it to make calls.

(I'm transferring from O2 Speakeasy to Billpay for iPhone so I won't have those invoices they're looking for...)

I can see why they ask this – someone moves here for the summer to work for a couple of months, call home every day, racks up and huge bill and f*cks off back to wherever.

basquille wrote: »
    Video Calling? But they've no camera at the front.. and the mic is at the front.

So you'll have the camera pointing at you (from a distance that you can see your entire face presumably) trying to speak into a mic on the opposite side of the phone - it'll pick it up but won't sound great I'd imagine.

It's feasible but odd!

Yeah, i don't know how it's gonna work given the location of the camera and the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just a quick querie. Does anybody know if O2 have any intentions of offering 3.5G recetion, and if ti does will the iPhone 3G be able to avail of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's feasible but odd!

It's not really feasible – the point is that you can see them as well.

grizzly wrote: »
    Ha... good point. Didn't even think of that!

:D

grizzly wrote: »

The whole thing does sound unlikely but the O2 agent seemed sure of herself on this issue.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

An O2 agent being wrongly informed.. and / or possibly lying to customers..?

Surely not!!!!111!! :D

An O2 agent being wrongly informed.. and / or possibly lying to customers..?

Surely not!!!!111!! :D

That is certainly a possibilty....

I'm just not sure why she would have even mentioned it if she was unsure - I never even asked about it, she just volunteered the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

That is certainly a possibilty....

I'm just not sure why she would have even mentioned it if she was unsure - I never even asked about it, she just volunteered the information.

I'd say Steve Jobs is probably one of few who know about any new features. If it is true though, it would have to be a new device with a front facing camera. Maybe the iPhone 3G Chat? Would be sweet if you could video call desktop iChat users from the iPhone as well as regular 3G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Irish times this morning

Irate iPhone user sues over dropped calls and slow connection.

Don't have the link but it's interesting to see that o2 Ireland say they've had no issues with people about the new 3g iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sues?? ah here this country is getting a tad bit crazy, I have had no issues but a mate I spoke to last night said he has a fair few dropped calls when moving from 3g to edge. I said why don't you bring it back and get it replaced and he replied "but they don't have any stock I'll have to be without it for weeks, feck that"

The biggest problem seems to me to be that people are willing to give back the phone for repair replacment because they will be without, you can't have your cake and eat it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

So o2.ie gave a stock update on Wed 20th, stating that a limited amount of stock was being released to CPW stores and o2 stores, I've called a few stores and they haven't had any in over a week, does anyone know of a store in dublin that has received any iPhones this week at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Victor_M wrote: »
    So o2.ie gave a stock update on Wed 20th, stating that a limited amount of stock was being released to CPW stores and o2 stores, I've called a few stores and they haven't had any in over a week, does anyone know of a store in dublin that has received any iPhones this week at all?

Not sure about O2 stores.

If calling CPW, are you calling the stores directly? because I found numbers for the stores in the Talktalk.ie website and when I called the numbers are directed to a central support/sales team, who said no stock was available in any of the shops and won't get any more in for weeks, I went soon after my call to the CPW in the The Square and they had at least 3 in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

nava wrote: »
    Not sure about O2 stores.

If calling CPW, are you calling the stores directly? because I found numbers for the stores in the Talktalk.ie website and when I called the numbers are directed to a central support/sales team, who said no stock was available in any of the shops and won't get any more in for weeks, I went soon after my call to the CPW in the The Square and they had at least 3 in stock.

Yeah I've just got that run around from the CPW main switch, can't get a number for CPW Blanch or Liffey Valley.

It's actually disgraceful at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fiona3953

Dades wrote: »
    I get an iPhone. And I'm delighted you feel I deserve it, thanks.

Foreign Price Shocker!

Goods are different prices in different countries!

I believe I deserve it too!! I mean is Andrew someone who queued up for hours only to be told "we're sold out" and now has a grudge against the iphone!? lol!
    This is the best tool I have ever bought i mean it's much cheaper than any other network for minutes and texts and 1GB is massive! What are you downloading movies or somthing??? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah people best APP so far! SHAZAM - Don't know the name of the song on the radio.... SHAZAM and your phone gives you the artist, title and album cover and where to find in iTunes. I think this used to only work on jail broken phones but no longer the case as i got it from the APPs Store and best part it's FREE!!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

swingking wrote: »
    Irish times this morning

Irate iPhone user sues over dropped calls and slow connection.
    Villain wrote: »
    sues?? ah here this country is getting a tad bit crazy...
    It's not an Irish case - the woman is from Alabama.

More here...
    "Immediately after purchase, plaintiff soon noticed that her Internet connection, receipt and sending of e-mail, text messages and other data transfers were slower than expected and advertised," the lawsuit states
    So why didn't the bint just bring it back? Oh sorry - she wants "unspecified damages". Fupp's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

(I'm transferring from O2 Speakeasy to Billpay for iPhone so I won't have those invoices they're looking for...)

I transferred from speakeasy to billpay and I was able to make an international call straight away. I made a call to England last week, no problem.

I had been on speakeasy for 7 years, so maybe it was automatically transferred to my bill account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I got my iPhone 2 weeks ago and, to be honest, I'm not all that happy with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a smashing little gadget (which I'm a sucker for) but there're some horrible flaws with it:

* iTunes is fukin filthy - you can only put music on from one pewter otherwise it wipes it!??! Having to "sync" the iPhone with a playlist... bollix.

* Sending txts is a pain. With a 'normal' phone, you can go from key-locked to writng a txt in T9 in about 2 seconds. Not with this. It hasn't even got T9.

* There's no arrow butons - i.e. you can't go back and delete a something without pressing and holding the screen to get the magnifying glass and move the cursor

* gps doesn't *really* work.

* no picture messaging

* You can't forward a text

* You can't bluetooth anyone anything cos apple were nice enough to make their own blueooth spec

* no copy-n-paste

* you can't put in reminders (workaround: an alarm with a label.. but that's cr p, I want todo items with reminders to be listed with todo items with no reminders)

apart from that it's good :D

• Advertisement

krinpit wrote: »
    I transferred from speakeasy to billpay and I was able to make an international call straight away. I made a call to England last week, no problem.

I had been on speakeasy for 7 years, so maybe it was automatically transferred to my bill account.

Yeah, I had been on Speakeasy since 2003. I phoned O2 Customer Care, the agent was really nice & helpful, she immediately enabled International Call settings for my phone.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

some well known issues there franko, but weren't you aware of them all before you bought the phone? Why would there be T9 on a phone without a numerical keypad? it wouldn't make any sense.
    I can get from keylocked to new sms in 2 secs handily enough, keyboard took a bit
    of getting used to, but with the autocorrect I reckon I am about the same speed sending txts as before. Much prefer the chat style of the sms too.

gps works ok for me, must be missing what you mean by 'really'?

todos are annoying that they don't sync, you can make them calendar items which
    can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I got my iPhone 2 weeks ago and, to be honest, I'm not all that happy with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a smashing little gadget (which I'm a sucker for) but there're some horrible flaws with it:

* iTunes is fukin filthy - you can only put music on from one pewter otherwise it wipes it!??! Having to "sync" the iPhone with a playlist... bollix.

* Sending txts is a pain. With a 'normal' phone, you can go from key-locked to writng a txt in T9 in about 2 seconds. Not with this. It hasn't even got T9.

* There's no arrow butons - i.e. you can't go back and delete a something without pressing and holding the screen to get the magnifying glass and move the cursor

* gps doesn't *really* work.

* no picture messaging

* You can't forward a text

* You can't bluetooth anyone anything cos apple were nice enough to make their own blueooth spec

* no copy-n-paste

* you can't put in reminders (workaround: an alarm with a label.. but that's cr p, I want todo items with reminders to be listed with todo items with no reminders)

apart from that it's good :D

Turn off 'automatically sync playlists' on itunes and click 'manually manage music'. Btw if you turn all syncs off (ie. contacts, pictures, calander, music) you can use it with other 'like' formatted computers. But yes for me, not being able to plug it into any other mac is very annoying as I don't sync my music.

nice1franko.. you obviously haven't a jailbroken phone cos probably 6 - 7 of your 9 "horrible flaws" can be achieved on a jailbroken iPhone! ;)

nice1franko.. you obviously haven't a jailbroken phone cos probably 6 - 7 of your 9 "horrible flaws" can be achieved on a jailbroken iPhone! ;)
    Can you specify which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Hello All,

What would happen if I jailbroke my iPhone, even though I am contracted to O2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

basquille: yeah I did jail break it alright. I downloaded the swaptunes app but it didnt work. what other things can i fix with cydia packages/apps?

copacetic: no I wasn't aware of the flaws :( I didn't do the thorough research that I normally do before buying a gadget. I guess I gave apple a lot of credit cos I was so happy with my ipod nano. re. the gps not *really* being a gps: maybe i should have said sat nav instead of gps there but anyway, the gps receiver seems to be quite weak. it couldnt find me when I was on the train whereas a tomtom one i had on loan could. I was going through town in a taxi and it had me moving through buildings 100 yards to my right. there's no turn-by-turn directions either... and without that gps is almost useless (imo anyway)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mr. X wrote: »
    What would happen if I jailbroke my iPhone, even though I am contracted to O2?
    You get a jailbroken iPhone

In all seriousness tho, nothing. They can't find out.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You get a jailbroken iPhone

In all seriousness tho, nothing. They can't find out.
    Does it violate any warranty, because the way these are going I can see warranty being a neccessity

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

basquille: yeah I did jail break it alright. I downloaded the swaptunes app but it didnt work. what other things can i fix with cydia packages/apps?

copacetic: no I wasn't aware of the flaws :( I didn't do the thorough research that I normally do before buying a gadget. I guess I gave apple a lot of credit cos I was so happy with my ipod nano. re. the gps not *really* being a gps: maybe i should have said sat nav instead of gps there but anyway, the gps receiver seems to be quite weak. it couldnt find me when I was on the train whereas a tomtom one i had on loan could. I was going through town in a taxi and it had me moving through buildings 100 yards to my right. there's no turn-by-turn directions either... and without that gps is almost useless (imo anyway)

would agree there, it works well enough for me, but not as a sat nav, as it goes asleep the whole time and no turn by turn. However by all accounts tom tom and others are working on a turn by turn app. Wouldn't be sure it'll work well with the battery lift though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement