Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Does it violate any warranty, because the way these are going I can see warranty being a neccessity
    This is exactly what I was getting at, if I jailbreak it am I voiding the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

copacetic wrote: »
    However by all accounts tom tom and others are working on a turn by turn app. Wouldn't be sure it'll work well with the battery lift though!

Glad I got a 16gig iPhone as I'm guessing the maps would have to be stored in the phone. There's no way I'd use google maps abroad - roaming data charges are scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I got my iPhone 2 weeks ago and, to be honest, I'm not all that happy with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a smashing little gadget (which I'm a sucker for) but there're some horrible flaws with it:

* iTunes is fukin filthy - you can only put music on from one pewter otherwise it wipes it!??! Having to "sync" the iPhone with a playlist... bollix.

* Sending txts is a pain. With a 'normal' phone, you can go from key-locked to writng a txt in T9 in about 2 seconds. Not with this. It hasn't even got T9.

* There's no arrow butons - i.e. you can't go back and delete a something without pressing and holding the screen to get the magnifying glass and move the cursor

* gps doesn't *really* work.

* no picture messaging

* You can't forward a text

* You can't bluetooth anyone anything cos apple were nice enough to make their own blueooth spec

* no copy-n-paste

* you can't put in reminders (workaround: an alarm with a label.. but that's cr p, I want todo items with reminders to be listed with todo items with no reminders)

apart from that it's good :D

itunes is filthy? i love it, matter of opinion i guess.

have you ever used a motorola to send texts? pain in the rocks, iphone beats most phones hands down.

what is people's obsession with picture messaging? over priced and limited service - use email.

you can put reminders in iCal or use any of the many to do apps on the app store

people just love complaining imho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...what is people's obsession with picture messaging? over priced and limited service - use email.....

Its overpriced for sure but it handy if you need to send a picture of something instantly, and the receiver is not near a computer or doesn't have an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

digitaldr wrote: »
    Glad I got a 16gig iPhone as I'm guessing the maps would have to be stored in the phone. There's no way I'd use google maps abroad - roaming data charges are scary!

:confused: is there a way of only looking at stored maps and not trying to update data? Can you turn data off altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

grizzly wrote: »
    :confused: is there a way of only looking at stored maps and not trying to update data? Can you turn data off altogether?

If you are abroad...turn off data roaming (General> Network> Data roaming: OFF) you can look at the particular area you are interested in Maps on wifi, this is retained in the cache memory (don't turn off the phone) and use Maps to get where you want to go. I don't think the directions function will work without the internet though, so all you get is the basic Map and the flashing blue dot of your position.

The Maps won't be retained once you turn off the phone, but this will give you a workaround if you are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

Like many on here I have spent the last six weeks trying to buy myself the elusive iPhone 3G. Having pounded the streets, joined the shop lists (a waste of time so far) and actually ordering one of the first online ones that I had to cancel after a week of no reply from O2 due to a two week holiday away I am now back on the case.

BUT, catching up on two weeks of posts on here I am starting to get cold feet and would appreciate some comments from those of you that have already got one. I know about the obvious drawbacks like crap camera, limited battery, no cut and paste, no stereo bluetooth headset (a really bad thing) and so on and can live with that reluctantly. So the real concerns are:

Signal Strength
    I have two questions here. I don't have any 3G coverage at home so intend to use WiFi for data use there but looked forward to using this out and about in Dublin and around the country but from what I've read this is not looking good - is 3G reception really that bad on this thing? Second and more importanly I only get one or two bars of GSM/EDGE (on O2) at home using a variety of other phones so how does your 2G coverage compare on the iPhone? I would be unimpressed if I couldn't make calls or send texts due to a crap 2G radio implementation.

Ireland App Store
    I have seen various comments about how limited our apps are - is this the case in your experience? One of the real attractions of this phone is the app availability.

Quality
    I have seen a few posts about dodgy screens and No Signal type problems cropping up and wonder how many people have tried to return them (given the likely delays in getting a replacement) because of problems.

Data Usage
    Given that you can't tether a laptop via bluetooth and Apple pulled the useful WiFi variant has anybody tried using their iPhone SIM in another phone or USB dongle for Laptop usage on the go? If I am paying for 1GB per month and can't make much use of it on the iPhone I would like to use the bandwidth occasionally this way.

Sorry for the rambling post but I am very keen to pick one up this week and just want to convince myself to go for it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I am having exactly the same second thoughts at this stage. 6 weeks trying to purchase a product that is mainly being used as a tool to lure new customers to the network at the expense of loyal customers who have spent thousands of euro over the years.

I got a call from the CPW 2 weeks ago saying that my 16Gb Iphone was in stock ready for me to collect, she didn't realise that I am an existing customer with a platinum upgrade and not a new customer, she apologized and said that I couldn't have the phone as they weren't allowed sell them to existing customers.

There really does seem to be a lot of teething problems, the software ones don't concern me that much as they can and will be rectified, but the weak 3G signal seems to be an inherent hardware flaw. The main reason to put up with the bulk of the iPhone is it's high speed web browsing.

The Nokia N95 is looking more appealing every day.
    TechnoFox wrote: »
    Like many on here I have spent the last six weeks trying to buy myself the elusive iPhone 3G. Having pounded the streets, joined the shop lists (a waste of time so far) and actually ordering one of the first online ones that I had to cancel after a week of no reply from O2 due to a two week holiday away I am now back on the case.

BUT, catching up on two weeks of posts on here I am starting to get cold feet and would appreciate some comments from those of you that have already got one. I know about the obvious drawbacks like crap camera, limited battery, no cut and paste, no stereo bluetooth headset (a really bad thing) and so on and can live with that reluctantly. So the real concerns are:

Signal Strength
    I have two questions here. I don't have any 3G coverage at home so intend to use WiFi for data use there but looked forward to using this out and about in Dublin and around the country but from what I've read this is not looking good - is 3G reception really that bad on this thing? Second and more importanly I only get one or two bars of GSM/EDGE (on O2) at home using a variety of other phones so how does your 2G coverage compare on the iPhone? I would be unimpressed if I couldn't make calls or send texts due to a crap 2G radio implementation.

Ireland App Store
    I have seen various comments about how limited our apps are - is this the case in your experience? One of the real attractions of this phone is the app availability.

Quality
    I have seen a few posts about dodgy screens and No Signal type problems cropping up and wonder how many people have tried to return them (given the likely delays in getting a replacement) because of problems.

Sorry for the rambling post but I am very keen to pick one up this week and just want to convince myself to go for it or not.

Glad I am not alone Victor M. The existing user attitude from CPW and O2 is amazing (I don't have this problem myself). I had an N95 for a while but its a very different beast and found it a bit clunky to use, both hardware and software wise. Nice camera though so depends on what you're after I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah im thinking the same technofox. Im using the N95 8Gb at the moment and while many here are saying its far superior, its very rare that i've a need for a 5mp camera or GPS etc. Ok, it can do a lot, but the main thing i use my phone for is the internet, and no one can deny that safari on the iphone is the dogs b****x, even compared with opera mini.

People may think i am crazy to get rid of the N95, but its a bit chunky, slider generally opens as im taking it from my pocket, where as the iphone seems nice and solid, and the screen is perfect for browsing.

I bought the N95 (and in fact my last few phones - E65, P1i, N73...) because of a list as long as my arm of functions. Ive realised now that the important ones (just for me anyway) are wifi, 3G, large screen, and large mem capacity, iphone ticks all boxes, and also has a great interface.

The whole marketing buzz is a bit annoying. Im not on any waiting lists, nor have I been going to o2 shops. Dont forget that when most phones come out there are teething problems - remember all those people who paid €€€ for the first N95 and the battery lasted less than 8 minutes. Take it as a blessing that so many people are queuing overnight to rid stocks of faulty iphones, and then treat yourself nearer to xmas when they are readily available. Remember, apple will not rectify problems until people start returning them, which people wont do until stocks increase. Just wait, it will be worth it, trust me.

• Advertisement

TechnoFox wrote: »
    Signal Strength

Apple may just quietly fix the chip controlling G3 in future iPhones (if indeed it is a hardware problem). They won't announce this as they'll be exposing themselves to liability for the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

grizzly wrote: »
    Apple may just quietly fix the chip controlling G3 in future iPhones (if indeed it is a hardware problem). They won't announce this as they'll be exposing themselves to liability for the earlier ones.

They should be able to issue a firmware fix for it once they identify the issue with the chip. It does seem to be only affecting a small percentage too.

noblestee wrote: »

I bought the N95 (and in fact my last few phones - E65, P1i, N73...) because of a list as long as my arm of functions. Ive realised now that the important ones (just for me anyway) are wifi, 3G, large screen, and large mem capacity, iphone ticks all boxes, and also has a great interface.

Yes, I have exactly the same list (plus the apps support/developer community is important). Also want to play around with the GPS (not for navigation) and the accelerometer.

Hadn't thought of the queues of buyers as suckers clearing out faulty stock but its an interesting thought (as long as I don't buy a duffer myself of course) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

I know this may be very premature but have announced anything about releasing the next phase of this phone. Will it be 12 months from the 3g release. I am just curious as if they release the next version with better camera/messaging/3g fxn/data usage then it would be worth the wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

I'd say it would be April again next year before we see a new version. Even at that it is rumoured they may introduce a Nano version of the iphone to capture the lower priced market. What you buy today you can sell tomorrow though.

coco06 wrote: »
    I know this may be very premature but have announced anything about releasing the next phase of this phone. Will it be 12 months from the 3g release. I am just curious as if they release the next version with better camera/messaging/3g fxn/data usage then it would be worth the wait....

According to Macrumors the average updates are every 126 days so the next minor update would be due around mid November. This may just be a new 32gb version with the 8gb dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Has anybody gotten any Irish radio stations to work via a radio app? I'm looking for Newstalk or Radio 1, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

jpfahy wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten any Irish radio stations to work via a radio app? I'm looking for Newstalk or Radio 1, etc.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Can someone post a picture taken with the phone at best settings?
    Is the camera that bad?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The_Edge wrote: »
    Can someone post a picture taken with the phone at best settings?
    Is the camera that bad?

pics I posted here are from my phone:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055362576

not best settings though, just standard. Just pointed and didn't
    look by the way. There are no settings
    at all in the built in app afaik.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. There not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Is there an app on the Irish store to record phone calls? Also anyone anyluck with the radio app yet?

I am thinking of getting this when my contract expires in October with three. Although if there's an upgrade due around November I might hold out...

I take it most people here are happy with their purchase?

Question as I have yet to do it, but is technically possible to unlock the iPhone 3g as I been reading some websites this morning saying its not possible as well on Ebay they are advertising unlocked 3g Iphones as Legally Unlocked?

Mr. X wrote: »
    Question as I have yet to do it, but is technically possible to unlock the iPhone 3g as I been reading some websites this morning saying its not possible as well on Ebay they are advertising unlocked 3g Iphones as Legally Unlocked?

You can jailbreak it using software so it can download apps other than Apple apps and also activate it. There is no software unlock yet, however they can be unlocked using a sim adaptor which overrides the sim lock put in place in the factory. That way you can use another operator's sim but not void the warranty.

The_Edge wrote: »
    Question is will everything be unlocked including iTunes and Phone features?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Mr. X wrote: »
    Question is will everything be unlocked including iTunes and Phone features?

Nope. Pwnage 2.0.3 still does not unlock the 3G iPhone, just the first gen - jailbreak only for the 3G. Plus, there were some reports earlier that it was pulled because of causing permission problems on the iPod Touch - no reports about iPhone problems yet... and it is still up at the link provided by The_Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

andrewh5 wrote: »
    You can jailbreak it using software so it can download apps other than Apple apps and also activate it. There is no software unlock yet, however they can be unlocked using a sim adaptor which overrides the sim lock put in place in the factory. That way you can use another operator's sim but not void the warranty.

I have tried one of these sim adaptors in the last few days...they work...for about 3 minutes. I tried the SIMable and found out I was getting the Alpha X-Sim in reality (i.e. SIMable are only resellers). You can make calls, gprs / 3G will work on Vodafone Ireland, but your SMS and incoming calls will not work. I have managed to receive calls for 3 - 4 minutes after inserting the adaptor in an iPhone 3G. My advice is to save your money...

• Advertisement

CivilEx wrote: »
    I have tried one of these sim adaptors in the last few days...they work...for about 3 minutes. I tried the SIMable and found out I was getting the Alpha X-Sim in reality (i.e. SIMable are only resellers). You can make calls, gprs / 3G will work on Vodafone Ireland, but your SMS and incoming calls will not work. I have managed to receive calls for 3 - 4 minutes after inserting the adaptor in an iPhone 3G. My advice is to save your money...

X-sim does not work. For some reason they seem to drop their programming. When I tested one I got full strength signal but the same symptoms as you. Also, they dropped the network after about 3 hours or so. Try here.
    They offer a 7 day money back guarantee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement