Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

CivilEx wrote: »
    I have tried one of these sim adaptors in the last few days...they work...for about 3 minutes. I tried the SIMable and found out I was getting the Alpha X-Sim in reality (i.e. SIMable are only resellers). You can make calls, gprs / 3G will work on Vodafone Ireland, but your SMS and incoming calls will not work. I have managed to receive calls for 3 - 4 minutes after inserting the adaptor in an iPhone 3G. My advice is to save your money...

I also tried a SIMable but found that they are prone to get stuck when inserting back the loading tray into the iPhone 3G. So instead of forcing it in and risk it getting stuck in the iPhone (as others have reported), I never got to test it out in the end. However, I did test on SIMable on other locked phones and it appeared to work. However, I didn't test how long it would work. I too recommend to keep away from the SIM adaptors and wait for PWN Tool to unlock when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I also tried a SIMable but found that they are prone to get stuck when inserting back the loading tray into the iPhone 3G. So instead of forcing it in and risk it getting stuck in the iPhone (as others have reported), I never got to test it out in the end. However, I did test on SIMable on other locked phones and it appeared to work. However, I didn't test how long it would work. I too recommend to keep away from the SIM adaptors and wait for PWN Tool to unlock when it becomes available.

You are supposed to use tape across the top of the sim card so that the tray can be removed that way instead of using the pin tool (it prevents the chip on the card getting caught on the edge of the slot as you remove the tray).

It will be sometime before any software unlocking solution is found for the 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its bloody impossible to get one of these things. Been trying for weeks now. O2 are a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

kmick wrote: »
    Its bloody impossible to get one of these things. Been trying for weeks now. O2 are a shambles.

I agree since it's the O2 iPhone and not the Apple iPhone. O2 have no control over stock. The way they went about allocating it at times seems suspect, but as to not having enough units, look at Apple, not O2.

iPhone ad rapped as 'misleading'

A television advert for the iPhone misled consumers, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.
    Two complaints to the watchdog noted that the advert said "all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone".

BBC News story here.

Naughty, naughty Apple :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How they don't have Flash working yet is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Villain wrote: »

You talking about Adobe or Apple?

Well Adobe have it working on an eumaltor I believe, I was led to believe it was Apple causing the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

It's not Apple (Sony, MS, insert CE company) fault that Adobe keeps Flash as closed standard and won't develop or license version greater than V7 for iPhone (PS3, PSP, etc...)

Indeed. I use the Safari browser on a PC and Flash works on that. Given that the iphone is Linux based there shouldn't be that many problems getting Flash to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

ongarite wrote: »
    It's not Apple (Sony, MS, insert CE company) fault that Adobe keeps Flash as closed standard and won't develop or license version greater than V7 for iPhone (PS3, PSP, etc...)

lol at the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

andrewh5 wrote: »
    iPhone ad rapped as 'misleading'

A television advert for the iPhone misled consumers, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.
    Two complaints to the watchdog noted that the advert said "all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone".

BBC News story here.

Naughty, naughty Apple :(

Two complaints? Those people have no lives.

chrislad wrote: »
    Nokia and Samsung ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apple are past masters at "creative advertising".

If people complained more, consumers would be treated better, especially in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Indeed. I use the Safari browser on a PC and Flash works on that. Given that the iphone is Linux based there shouldn't be that many problems getting Flash to work.

The iPhone isn't based on Linux. It's based on OS X, which is itself based on BSD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

jpfahy wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten any Irish radio stations to work via a radio app? I'm looking for Newstalk or Radio 1, etc.

visual radio has newstalk, Today fm and Phantom preprogrammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Managed to get the radioapp to work today. . .even got Newstalk!. . .but the sounds quality is very low. . anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

efb wrote: »
    visual radio has newstalk, Today fm and Phantom preprogrammed

Hi

is the name of the App. "visual radio" I searched on Itunes but could not find it.

What country do you have selected?

I found the other day if you select UK you can get get Last.fm

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

How do you select another country without a UK address?

I want the last.fm app :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Allradio is the name of the app. Newstalk Today FM all on International Ireland

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    How do you select another country without a UK address?

I want the last.fm app :(

Hi

Select the country at the button of the main Itunes page, Just make up the address, if on the registration is asking for a CC just close Itunes and reopen it again and try. I register accounts in the UK, US, and other countries without CC. Just a valid e-mail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Thanks for that. Anywhere you can find RTE Radio 1? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I agree since it's the O2 iPhone and not the Apple iPhone. O2 have no control over stock. The way they went about allocating it at times seems suspect, but as to not having enough units, look at Apple, not O2.

No its the random way they distribute the ones they have. The fact that if you are an exisiting customer it is harder to get. The lack of information or structure around getting one i.e. you turn up a store and hope for the best. Even online there is a link for information which was last updated at the start of August. When I rang customer service their advice was to call into any store. When I pointed out there was no stock in any store they said try online. When i did that there was no stock there. Why cant they just say 'no stock'.

Hi

Sorry but I must be blind because when I search in Itunes I cannot see anything like that, what category is it under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If you have an Irish account, it's number one under paid apps.

Thanks, found it.

Just noticed that Pigsback gives 5 points per €1 spend in the Itunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

O2UK have started offering a £10 data "bolt on" for pre pay customers to use the iPhone. Is this a precursor to the release of the iPhone on prepay? Will O2 Ireland follow suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

O2UK have started offering a £10 data "bolt on" for pre pay customers to use the iPhone. Is this a precursor to the release of the iPhone on prepay? Will O2 Ireland follow suit?

Interesting. Won't hold my breath for anything on our side given that its still impossible to get a phone here at all ("more stock at the end of September" according to the O2 store at the top of Grafton St today...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 albertonman

I just bought a new iphone 3g, was just thinking if there are any programs out there that will unlock my phone to work on meteor???

Thank you for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

That bolt-on is officially for users of the "Original iPhone" as it states on their site. They are presuming that you may have got your mitts on the glut of 2G ones that have become available following launch of the 3G model. They are offering that to PAYG customers who may wish to avail of the data/wifi offer with their new acquisition. They also suppose that it is unlikely that a O2 UK PAYG customer has acquired a brand-new 3G version (since it would be locked to O2 UK and you would therefore probably have half-inched it from its owner).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement