Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

There is a huge thread discussing all things iPhone 3G in this forum and you should really post to that - it is more than likely that a mod will lock this thread shortly.

There is currently NO software unlock for the 3G - just some hardware solutions but I'm not sure how effective they are. Take a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310526&page=135

Scroll down about half way to see some discussion on unlocking...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The most interesting thing that I take out of the bolt on is that O2UK recognise that prepay customers have data needs and will facilitate them. Surely O2 Ireland will also shortly see that there is strong demand for this service here, recognizing that there are a lot of second hand iPhones here also?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I just bought a new iphone 3g, was just thinking if there are any programs out there that will unlock my phone to work on meteor???

Thank you for any help

There is no software unlock at present. There are a number of sim adaptors that will unlock it but I suggest you look at this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

nava wrote: »
    Hi

Select the country at the button of the main Itunes page, Just make up the address, if on the registration is asking for a CC just close Itunes and reopen it again and try. I register accounts in the UK, US, and other countries without CC. Just a valid e-mail address.

I couldn't get it to not ask for a credit card, but I found a way to do it by redeeming a code. Now I have last.fm AND Pandora :D happy days!

Incidentally I also recieved my first iPhone plan bill today. Somehow I totally forgot that the plan does not include VAT and almost had a heart attack when I saw that €10 VAT added on *facepalm* I never noticed it on my smaller bills :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

aw yeah I didn't think of the vat either... sons of bitches!

• Advertisement

Yeah, €45 becomes €55. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I didn't spot that either. It wasn't exactly made clear when I signed up for the plan. Boo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

On the o2 iPhone tarrif page it says "all plans Include VAT"
    What did they charge you the vat on exactly?

skapegoat wrote: »
    On the o2 iPhone tarrif page it says "all plans Include VAT"
    What did they charge you the vat on exactly?
    +1 iPhone tariff 175 is €45 including VAT

Hokay, it's just my bill then. Sorry for the false alarm, I looked at my bill and saw €45.87 + €9.63 VAT and assumed the worst. Something's not adding up but at least it's just me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Gauge wrote: »
    Hokay, it's just my bill then. Sorry for the false alarm, I looked at my bill and saw €45.87 + €9.63 VAT and assumed the worst. Something's not adding up but at least it's just me :)

I'm a bit confused too; mines similar (but not identical) to yours.

I think it's because you're getting partially billed for 2 billing periods on the bill. Does that make sense? :confused:

Something like that yeah. The way it's laid out on my bill is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/28/details-of-iphone-2-0-2-firmware-3g-connectivity-improvements/
    RoughlyDrafted reports on details of the iPhone 2.0.2 firmware 3G connectivity improvements. According to a "source close to AT&T," the connectivity issues have been caused by iPhones demanding that cell towers devote more power than necessary to their connections. When a "critical mass" of iPhones, all demanding excessive amounts of power, are connected to a cell tower, the transmitter runs out of power and begins dropping calls and degrading data delivery. The 2.0.2 firmware update is said to address this issue via modifications to the power control algorithm.

The source also clarifies that iPhones running 2.0 and 2.0.1 firmware are continuing to cause problems for all users, which explains why many users have reported that connection issues persisted after they updated their iPhones. This also explains the advertising push for the 2.0.2 update seen with Apple adding a banner ad to the iPhone App Store and AT&T sending text messages to users encouraging them to update their iPhones.

“This is one of the reasons why AT&T has been sending text messages to users to persuade them to upgrade to the 2.0.2 software. In a mixed environment where users are running 2.0, 2.0.1, and 2.0.2, the power control problems of 2.0 and 2.0.1 will affect the 2.0.2 users.

“It is not the network that is fault but the interaction of the bad power control algorithm in 2.0 and 2.0.1 software and the network that is at fault. The sooner everybody is running 2.0.2 software the better things will be. Having seen the graphs the 2.0.2 software has already started to make difference.”

Apple is due to release a software update for the iPhone in September, but it is not known whether it will include changes to further address the connectivity issues.
    There's hope yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

I know this has been discussed already in this thread but searching through 138 pages simply isn't practical!!

Anyway I'm heading off on holidays tomorrow and want to make sure I don't get done on data roaming charges. I know how to turn off 3G and I can set 'push' to manual but will that take care of everything?

Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

BMcG05 wrote: »
    I know this has been discussed already in this thread but searching through 138 pages simply isn't practical!!

Anyway I'm heading off on holidays tomorrow and want to make sure I don't get done on data roaming charges. I know how to turn off 3G and I can set 'push' to manual but will that take care of everything?

Cheers in advance

Just make sure that data roaming is turned off in settings > general > network. It should be off by default. Any time you try to access data while roaming, it wont let you unless you turn this off. Also, having 3G on won't cost you money by itself, though you may want to keep it off to save battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I had to turn on data roaming a few times while abroad to check my email how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Stephen P wrote: »
    I had to turn on data roaming a few times while abroad to check my email how much does it cost?

A fortune! Find some Wifi or a Net Cafe. Its what I do. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

It says on the O2 website €4.95 per MB. All I did was check email and look at a couple of websites. Is there any way I can check how many MB's I've actually used? I can't seem to view my account on the O2 website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

GPS is the real killer (unless anyone is stupid enough to download something from itunes or listen to internet radio).

10mins cost me E70.

Won't make that mistake again! :D

PS No way to check roaming data unless you reset the counter, until it comes through onto the O2 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A MB isn't very big. In fact, its tiny. An average mail download including a few pictures / attachments could easily be a MB. An old floppy disc held a MB (1.44MB to be percise :) )

I assume it would be in your account viewer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

With supplies of billpay 3G iPhones being scarce, and given that Foxconn are reportedly making 800,000 of these a week, just wondering what others think of my theory?

Are they going to blitz the stores with stocks of the prepay ones in time for Xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Update on my 2.0.2 problems. They seem to be gone all of a sudden. No connectivity issues at all anymore.

It was crap for about 3 days after the update and now as if by magic all is well.

Weird.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unless the details online are right and until most people had moved to it the power request issues were ongoing?

Personally I don't think that was it, as I have never had the issues. However that could be because i have only
    been on low use towers, hard to say.

What are the views on using the Exchange function with iPhone? I migrated from a WM6 device and I'm starting to think that maybe I should have researched the detail a little more before moving. A lot of the functionality found in WM6 isn't there with iPhone such as saving documents and Calendar functions like setting up meetings. The iPhone was pitched as being very pro business at the launch, but I don't know that they are quite where the market is yet with Exchange

you can certainly set up meetings, i do it all the time. not sure what you mean by saving documents being an exchange function. it isn't?

copacetic wrote: »
    you can certainly set up meetings, i do it all the time. not sure what you mean by saving documents being an exchange function. it isn't?

To quote from the iPhone User Guide "If you have a Microsoft Exchange account set up on iPhone with Calendars enabled, you can receive and respond to meeting invitations from people in your organization."

As far as I can see, you cannot set up meetings from iPhone?

As regards saving documents, if you for example receive a WORD document that you want to save and maybe re-attach to another mail later, again as far as I can see, you cannot save the documents? These are standard tools I am used to using :D

ah I see what you mean, you can accept, decline, forward invites etc but can't enter peoples email directly from the calendar interface to send them an invite from it directly?

Annoying, as is lack of task syncing.

on the saving docs, i get you now but really don't understand that workflow. why not just forward on the edited mail?

copacetic wrote: »
    ah I see what you mean, you can accept, decline, forward invites etc but can't enter peoples email directly from the calendar interface to send them an invite from it directly?

Annoying, as is lack of task syncing.

on the saving docs, i get you now but really don't understand that workflow. why not just forward on the edited mail?

That what I do about half the time. Problems start when you have a document you want to edit bofore sending on. I'm getting used to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Put if on your xmas list, if you're lucky Mr Claus will bring your one.

800,000 a week may sound like a lot, but consider the demand just in Ireland then bare in mind that it's a global product, IMHO I'd be very very surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

+1
    Next year it is expected that a new, more cost effective iPhone launched into the market. This is will run along side the iphone as the nano has done with the ipod. This will be the prepay version IMO. Many countries espcially with the markets the way they are, to release a prepay version at a price like the Italians would see very poor sales, more money to be made of contracts anyway. Could be a load of crap though:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement