Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

according to Tuaw, the iphone 3g may be sold without contract.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

It's all starting to sound like the days before it launched in Ireland, where we were all looking for ways we could get our hands on it from other countries. It's crazy that it will be launching here and still there is a reason why we don't want to avail of it from O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anybody know how the exclusivity contracts with network providers run for? I am presuming two years so it will be a long time before we have any other choice apart from o2 or unlock(jailbreak). Prob be on the 3rd or 4th version by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

dmn wrote: »
    still there is a reason why we don't want to avail of it from O2

eh yeah because of the ridiculous price plans and the need for a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

and because O2 are scum.

• Advertisement

anyways....back to the phone itself...I'm happy to see a flush head phone socket so we can now use any type of headphones and not just the standard apple ones, also good for an audio out cable to connect to stereos, eventhough this can also be achieved with the dock connector.

I can't really see myself using the GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Strange they didn't sort out Flash, rumours of some kind of a falling out with Adobe must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I've just heard of the news about the new Iphone. When the first model was released, the phone really appealed to me but I was unsure. So I was wondering is the new model worth buying and is there any news on the ability to jailbreak it???
    Or would I be better off getting a first gen model of the Iphone cheaply???

Is there a site anyone could point me towards which have all the details on jailbreaking and apps??
    I want to learn some more about these phones. :)

Thanks.

jpfahy wrote: »
    Strange they didn't sort out Flash, rumours of some kind of a falling out with Adobe must be true

Apple aren't interested in developing Flash. But Adobe themselves releases a statement ages ago saying that they are working within the SDK to bring Flash to the iPhone. Therefore we may see flash coming to the phone as thrid party app in the near future.

For this software release Apple seemed to be concentrating on getting the SDK ready, Me.com ready, application store ready and getting combability with Exchange ready. As well as adding the software for 3G, and GPS. So I think they done a fairly hefty job on the software side while trying to optomize everything for battery life as well.

I've just heard of the news about the new Iphone. When the first model was released, the phone really appealed to me but I was unsure. So I was wondering is the new model worth buying and is there any news on the ability to jailbreak it???

Is there a site anyone could point me towards which have all the details on jailbreaking and apps??

Thanks.

The new one can not be jailbroken yet as the software has not been released. All info on unlocking the "older" model can be found here.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Take a look at hackint0sh.org and select the iphone forum.
    That's where I learned how to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone back in the day when it had the very first firmware on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

prices droppin on old 1st gen iphones like a stone on adverts(you ca get one for about 240) and on ebay get one for about 200euro

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Thanks a lot. If I can get a relatively cheap Iphone, would it be worth it?? Is it a nice phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Take this as you wish but Apparently o2 are reviewing the 1gb data limit on iphone package, So as o2 employee states.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

i read a few articles saying that in Germany and France its the law that phones have to be sold unlocked and the 1st gen iPhone was. Vodafone took a case against TMobile in Germany and the judge ordered all the iphones to be sold unlocked. anyone know anything about this?

Take this as you wish but Apparently o2 are reviewing the 1gb data limit on iphone package, So as o2 employee states.

the power of people....and board users :)

Well apparently its the most thing complained about so thats why its under review, there is a reason why apple havent released price plan details only prices.

Well apparently its the most thing complained about so thats why its under review, there is a reason why apple havent released price plan details only prices.

Because the plan details are up to the networks?

O2 already released a statement regarding there price plans with no mention of improving anything. Although they have at least a month to change this.

Some very good points were just raised on the O2 customer forums...take a look at this one:

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1756&postcount=37http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1756&postcount=37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

swingking wrote: »
    eh yeah because of the ridiculous price plans and the need for a 2 year contract.

Taken from the O2 iPhone page
    "All tariffs are subject to an 18 month contract"

• Advertisement

did they mention minutes/texts? No

Have to Say the Prices of iphones with the price plan is good. 1Gb data is a bit of a joke. Maybe 1gb for 45 euro 5 gb for 65 euro and 10g for 100 euro price plans. I doubt we will see a increase in Minutes/Texts.
    Because the plan details are up to the networks?

O2 already released a statement regarding there price plans with no mention of improving anything. Although they have at least a month to change this.

They simple mentioned what price the iPhone would be on the current price plans. They made no indications that these price plans were going to be changed in anyway.

With regards the iphone forum, I would suggest everyone voice there opinion, If dont dont hear about it they wont do anything about it.

They also never stated they would stay the same.

They simple mentioned what price the iPhone would be on the current price plans. They made no indications that these price plans were going to be changed in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

With regards the iphone forum, I would suggest everyone voice there opinion, If dont dont hear about it they wont do anything about it.

I fully agree with that. Since O2 opened their customer forums, they are very good in listening to and taking on board suggestions offered by the users. The 3G iphone forum is at http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=281

well if they increase minutes/texts and more inportantly data I will move from Meteor like a shot. My contract is up this month anyways

whisht wrote: »
    I fully agree with that. Since O2 opened their customer forums, they are very good in listening to and taking on board suggestions offered by the users. The 3G iphone forum is at http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=281

only O2 customers can register and leave comments though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

MiCr0 wrote: »

is there something here that I'm missing but isn't this the same one that was posted earlier today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

dmn wrote: »
    is there something here that I'm missing but isn't this the same one that was posted earlier today?

Yeah people just arent reading through the thread. :rolleyes:

We all know what a rip off the previous o2 plan was but i have to say, if they released a PAYG 16gb version over here, I would be happy to switch to them from meteor and pay up to around the 350 quid mark for it. Wouldn't it have been great if apple initially just decided to sell their iPhones sim-free from their website, sigh.. lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement