Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

How are ye finding ye'er battery lives?

Mine is dire - I struggle to get a full day out of it! And that's with wi-fi turned off, screen brightness below half way, and 3G turned off most of the time.

Is there any sort of test I can do on the battery to see if it's faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

That sounds very bad. I get about 2 days out of it with moderate usage and with wifi switched off

krinpit wrote: »
    That sounds very bad. I get about 2 days out of it with moderate usage and with wifi switched off

I'm getting nowhere near that!!

I bought it from O2 Online....so I can't go into a shop about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

jamieh wrote: »

Really, why not?

I just presumed I couldn't bring it into a shop that I didn't buy it from.

Sure I'll pop into an O2 Store and see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

O2 UK announce PAYG iphone from Sept 16. Wonder will one follow here.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

zing wrote: »
    O2 UK announce PAYG iphone from Sept 16. Wonder will one follow here.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

This is a surprise (or at least the timing is) and even more so when the price includes 12 months of unlimited data etc. Given that O2 here can't even supply phones at all, I can't imagine they will be offering anything simillar for a while. Will also increase demand for units in the UK so could impact our lack of stock here...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Will have to follow here, seems to be a strong market for them. I even seen a kid the other day about 10 with one thought it was crazy he probably doesn't know what 3g is

iphonePayGoBanner.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

O2 Ireland are releasing the iPhone on PAYG! See here: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11330/comms/o2-confirms-iphone-3g-to-be-available-pay-as-you-go

No details yet beyond that they're releasing it in "a couple of weeks". I imagine though that the price points will be €399 for the 8GB and €499 for the 16GB.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mobius42 wrote: »
    O2 Ireland are releasing the iPhone on PAYG! See here: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11330/comms/o2-confirms-iphone-3g-to-be-available-pay-as-you-go

No details yet beyond that they're releasing it in "a couple of weeks". I imagine though that the price points will be €399 for the 8GB and €499 for the 16GB.

cheaper than in the uk? not a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

More iPhones on sale tomorrow on O2 website for new customers only again. Sounds like no stock in the shops for existing customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

copacetic wrote: »
    cheaper than in the uk? not a chance
    Those are the unsubsidised prices they had with the original iPhone. Also, the prices in the UK are 8GB for €429 and 16GB for €490, so they wouldn't necessarily be cheaper than the UK. Has anyone bought one unsubsidised on contract here and if so, what was the price?

In the UK they are offering unlimited data so long as you top up at least £10 per month. Sounds like a great deal. Wonder if they'll offer something similar here?

They may ask for a top-up of €35 or more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Just booked my iphone through the o2 shop in cork, they said it will be two weeks, this true or am I in for a longer wait?

damo

damo86 wrote: »
    Just booked my iphone through the o2 shop in cork, they said it will be two weeks, this true or am I in for a longer wait?

damo

Based on experience so far, the shop staff seem to use a random number generator to come up with availability predictions but you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

damo86 wrote: »
    Just booked my iphone through the o2 shop

I'm waiting for an unlock solution. I couldn't pay O2 over a grand for the thing. My 2 cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

:D

My burthday and christmas sorted now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Add at least another 100 euro onto those prices plus a few hidden costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

jamieh wrote: »

There's no point - O2 are blaming Apple for all the sh1t reception / 3G / Battery issues it seems. Their answer is "wait for the next software update"
    Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well, in all fairness, who is to blame? O2 don't make the phones. The issues that are being mentioned are being mentioned worldwide so it is an Apple issue, and an issue they have to resolve.

Plus Apple are to repair your handset, not O2. All the O2 store has to do is facilitate the repair by posting it to Apple for you. At least, according to ComReg. Not 100% sure about this myself, but if it's true, it would save me a world of grief!!! :)

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/who_is_responsible_for_repairing_my_mobile_handset.4.99.LE.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm quite surprised that the iPhone is going Prepaid already in Ireland. I didn't think it would happen this soon in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

8GB iPhone are available in the O2 store in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

ongarite wrote: »
    8GB iPhone are available in the O2 store in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

Seems to have been a big shipment of 8GB units today. I got a call from a CPW store where I had put my name down on launch day to tell me they had 8GBs in stock. Fortunately I managed to order a 16 Black on www.o2.ie this morning (they almost immediately sold out of 16GB units but have had 8GB on offer all day).

I am not conviced 8GB will be enough for me over the longer term for apps, music, video and caching etc (doable but you need manage/delete stuff more regularly). Something I noticed on a friends 16GB iPhone is that out of the box it only had about 14.5GB of free space so does this mean the 8GB only has 6.5GB? Its just a pity that these things don't have a micro-SD slot as even 16GB will look pretty small in a year or more.

TechnoFox wrote: »
    Its just a pity that these things don't have a micro-SD slot as even 16GB will look pretty small in a year or more.

amen, I saw a 16gb flash drive on bargain alerts yesterday for just €32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

Is is the iphone a good phone? All i reading about is problems about it! And i've decided to import a unlocked samsung tocco or the iphone from the states so im just wondering is it worth it,cos if im going to spend a huge sum of money for a phone i want it to do everything well and last a good few years without falling behind the times(phonewise)???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I went to get a new phone today in 02, never thought I would say this but I have fallen in love with the iphone, and I hate apple more than anything!

Anyway I was disappointed in the waiting list + the fact you cant have it on the o2 business plan of Release (99+ vat for unlimited calls)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could second guess if the following would be possible?

To buy a iphone in Uk when it comes on PAYG and then get a nokia N95 (could be any phone) on the release plan with o2 and then put that sim in the O2 UK iphone..........................

Does this sound like it would work?

I would of course then sell the N95 or whatever phone I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I went to get a new phone today in 02, never thought I would say this but I have fallen in love with the iphone, and I hate apple more than anything!

Anyway I was disappointed in the waiting list + the fact you cant have it on the o2 business plan of Release (99+ vat for unlimited calls)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could second guess if the following would be possible?

To buy a iphone in Uk when it comes on PAYG and then get a nokia N95 (could be any phone) on the release plan with o2 and then put that sim in the O2 UK iphone..........................

Does this sound like it would work?

I would of course then sell the N95 or whatever phone I got.

Not until (if) an unlock for the 3g iPhone comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Not until (if) an unlock for the 3g iPhone comes out.

But I dont understand why, if its on PAYG it wouldnt let you put another o2 sim in it???

I understand why it wouldnt let you put a voda sim in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

But I dont understand why, if its on PAYG it wouldnt let you put another o2 sim in it???

O2 Ireland and O2 UK are different companys. It's like trying to use a O2 Ireland SIM in a Meteor phone. It won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

"O2 ie and O2 UK are two unique and individual companies" is what I was told by an O2 Cust Care agent when trying to unlock a Nokia 95 8gb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement