Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

I went to get a new phone today in 02, never thought I would say this but I have fallen in love with the iphone, and I hate apple more than anything!

Anyway I was disappointed in the waiting list + the fact you cant have it on the o2 business plan of Release (99+ vat for unlimited calls)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could second guess if the following would be possible?

To buy a iphone in Uk when it comes on PAYG and then get a nokia N95 (could be any phone) on the release plan with o2 and then put that sim in the O2 UK iphone..........................

Does this sound like it would work?

I would of course then sell the N95 or whatever phone I got.

Just be sure to get a data add on for it. To be honest, if you wait a little bit longer and get it on prepay(irl), which would be around the same price as an unlocked one from uk you will have a valid warranty on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

"O2 ie and O2 UK are two unique and individual companies" is what I was told by an O2 Cust Care agent when trying to unlock a Nokia 95 8gb

Although owned by the same company, its really just branding that they have in common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

mobius42 wrote: »
    O2 Ireland are releasing the iPhone on PAYG! See here: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11330/comms/o2-confirms-iphone-3g-to-be-available-pay-as-you-go

No details yet beyond that they're releasing it in "a couple of weeks". I imagine though that the price points will be €399 for the 8GB and €499 for the 16GB.

So to confirm, o2 Ireland have effectively announced a PAYG iPhone 3g is to arrive in the coming weeks?

If true this is great news, i wont have to pay 600+ on ebay for a 16gb and use a dodgy sim-unlock! This is the smartest move ive seen o2 make, although we probably won't get the 12 months free data like the UK, but still it is good news, hopefully the stock problems will be fixed also. Thanks for the link Mobius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

-DuMbGuM- wrote: »
    So to confirm, o2 Ireland have effectively announced a PAYG iPhone 3g is to arrive in the coming weeks?

If true this is great news, i wont have to pay 600+ on ebay for a 16gb and use a dodgy sim-unlock! This is the smartest move ive seen o2 make, although we probably won't get the 12 months free data like the UK, but still it is good news, hopefully the stock problems will be fixed also. Thanks for the link Mobius :)

Did you check the italian Iphones they are sold unlock? You won't need for any Sim unlock adapters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

nava wrote: »
    Did you check the italian Iphones they are sold unlock? You won't need for any Sim unlock adapters

You might want to be careful presuming that when they say it is "unlocked", it is really unlocked. When the first iPhone went on sale in France, by law they had to sell an unlocked one, but it would only actually work on the French mobile networks, not any network.

• Advertisement

mobius42 wrote: »
    You might want to be careful presuming that when they say it is "unlocked", it is really unlocked. When the first iPhone went on sale in France, by law they had to sell an unlocked one, but it would only actually work on the French mobile networks, not any network.

As far as I know the Italians a fully unlock to use with any network in any country, I think Chinese are are also the same.

Yeah my bro works in ebay so i've come to realize some of these items can easily be people who will take your money and empty funds from their paypal account so you don't get much back when you find out they're scamming you. Oh and feel free to digg up the news!

http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_3g_Pay_As_You_Go_To_Hit_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Any idea on how much the IPhone will be on pay as you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TechnoFox

shortys94 wrote: »
    Any idea on how much the IPhone will be on pay as you go?

They are going to be £399 in the UK (16GB) so I am guessing €499 or €549.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I've ordered an iPhone and am waiting on delivery. On the confirmation page it says that as I'm porting my number to O2, some forms have to be to filled out and send back to them. Can anyone answer these questions on this;

1. Will there be a delay between getting the iPhone and waiting for the forms to be processed where I'll have no service from my current network and/or O2?

2. Can I download the forms from somewhere now? Do they have to be posted (can they be faxed or emailed)?

3. Is there anything else I should know about this?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

TechnoFox wrote: »
    They are going to be £399 in the UK (16GB) so I am guessing €499 or €549.

I don't think i mind that price once it comes with a resonable data plan, hopefully it will be available for order off their website on launch day, god i'm wayy too lazy sometimes :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

grizzly wrote: »
    I've ordered an iPhone and am waiting on delivery. On the confirmation page it says that as I'm porting my number to O2, some forms have to be to filled out and send back to them. Can anyone answer these questions on this;

1. Will there be a delay between getting the iPhone and waiting for the forms to be processed where I'll have no service from my current network and/or O2?

2. Can I download the forms from somewhere now? Do they have to be posted (can they be faxed or emailed)?

3. Is there anything else I should know about this?

Thanks!

you won't lose you other service until they start the port. Some of them on the phone will say that they can't start it until you send the form back and there is nothing that can be done. I spoke to 5 different people and they all said different things. Even after going off to check

The last couple of people I got knew what they were doing and I got it through in a day (there was a technical delay also). See the 02 forum for a few threads on it.

All I ended up needing was my old number with me so they can check it is yours and the account number etc.

keep ringing until you get someone who will just start the port for you. It can definitely be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

just got my iphone this evening, last 8gb from carphone warehouse on grafton street.

Shazam has blown me away, what are peoples recommendations from the app store? Stuff thats specifically irish would be good to know aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

ChRoMe wrote: »
    just got my iphone this evening, last 8gb from carphone warehouse on grafton street.

Shazam has blown me away, what are peoples recommendations from the app store? Stuff thats specifically irish would be good to know aswell

Movies but above all, Simplifymedia, after which your 8GB limit will be absolutely meaningless -wonderful

Eirtext to be able to send you free webtext messages from your Iphone. Also should work with Meteor and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Eirtext to be able to send you free webtext messages from your Iphone. Also should work with Meteor and Vodafone.

This is in the App Store?

culabula wrote: »
    This is in the App Store?

Yes, Itunes URL

I would specifically recommend http://qik.com/, brilliant idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I have received an email of a rather large .doc file that I need to view quite regularly. Because it is of such large size I don't want to leave it in my inbox. Is there any way to save this onto my iPhone so I can then delete it from my email account??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nope. There is a way to sort of do this but you need a yahoo mail account and some other tricks.

Welcome to one of the major limitations of the iphone!
    I have received an email of a rather large .doc file that I need to view quite regularly. Because it is of such large size I don't want to leave it in my inbox. Is there any way to save this onto my iPhone so I can then delete it from my email account??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

It was free upto recently - definitely worth the 79c though (especially if you send alot of texts)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

elderlemon wrote: »
    Nope. There is a way to sort of do this but you need a yahoo mail account and some other tricks.

Welcome to one of the major limitations of the iphone!
    I have to admit the iPhone is the best and the worst phone I have ever owned. For every good thing I find out about it I find an equally bad thing. Just when I start to enjoy it, it goes and frustrates the hell out of me

Everytime I view it am I redownloading it and therefore chewing through my 1gig download limit??

Barty wrote: »
    It was free upto recently - definitely worth the 79c though (especially if you send alot of texts)

It must have gone to pay very recently I thought it was free earlier on the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

The rebelsimcard people have now started selling replacement sim trays, battery kits and repair tools for iphones. Look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

Everytime I view it am I redownloading it and therefore chewing through my 1gig download limit??

pretty sure this is not true.

email yourself a large file and suck it down through a wireless connection, dock your iphone into itunes then check the memory status bar on itunes and you'll see that the memory in that category has increased and the remaining capacity has reduced by the same amount.

why would it re-download it everytime you opened it? makes no sense whatsoever. what might be happening is that you are not fully downloading it in the first place and then everytime you open it you are getting the little rotating symbol '*' trying to download a little piece of it each time. how big is the file?

if you want to keep an email on your iphone without the phone pushing it out after you've reached the limit you've set (25, 50, 75, 100 or 200 <-- change in Settings) then just move it to the Trash in your mail account. The Trash won't empty until you do it yourself and emails in the Trash don't count towards the limits in your inbox. Not ideal but it's a work-around.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

what are peoples recommendations from the app store?

i would recommend the following:

Aids:
    Checklist - simple checklist of things you need to do on one page.
    Evernote - keep audio, visual and text notes on the same thing - you need to see it in action to appreciate it.
    Flashlight - handy when you need a light. (for best settings increase the brightness on the phone before you use)
    Units - handy converter for area, weight, distance, etc.
    Digital clock - nice if you want to see a digital clock while you're doing something; good for dark rooms for budding photographers
    Wikipanion - quick access to Wikipedia and formatted to fit on the screen
    Voicenotes - take a voice recording of something you need to remember

Out and about:
    Palringo - access your yahoo messenger account (not sure what other IMs it does but I just use yahoo)
    Eirtext - use your webtexts
    iFooty - track your favourite footy team when you can't get near the telly. Great if the wife is shopping and you've been dragged along!

Music & Entertainment:
    Remote - control itunes from your chair!
    Allradio - internet radio stations on your phone including Newstalk and Today FM
    Trailers - one for movie buffs
    BoxOffice and Tomatoes - as Trailers above

Finance:
    Balance - keep a track of your a/c balance without the need to log in everytime
    Currency - does what it says on the tin

Games:
    Dizzy Bee - really, really good, simple game. hard enough though!
    Rolo - like the rubic's cube on speed.
    Cubicman - think before you move!

Have all of the above and use them regularly. Have other apps too but the ones above are highly recommended if you have a use for them. Would also recommend you tap the '+' sign on your favourite web sites and add them to the home screens - saves going into Safari and then searching through book marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

There's a number of file storage apps out for the iPhone. A few I've come across are:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286746714&mt=8

http://www.magnetismstudios.com/filemagnet/

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285578660&mt=8

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287464320&mt=8

The first link, MobileFinder, is the best, I think. None of these are free, but they're not that expensive either. There may be free alternatives I haven't found.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is the 8 gig capacity on the iphone too small for general use? Would it be better to get the 16 gig?

And also, when you sign up for the O2 18months contract and you switch tariffs midway through or are you stuck with the one that you start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Two months left on my contract with 3. What's the best way to switch contracts and avoid having to pay for two different connections on the same month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I think 8 gigs for music is fine, That said I use a ipod nano 8gb in my other pocket, I dont like the idea of all my music,internet and calls using the same battery.

Anyone got a suggestion for places in dublin city center to buy a good thin cover for the iphone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement