Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Anyone got a suggestion for places in dublin city center to buy a good thin cover for the iphone?

Maybe this from carphonewarehouse

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/387/71/iphone_silicone_case/463ae5dc3509ccab1d9e90b505bff157

or argos?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't get a case! what is the point of getting a nice piece of design then sticking it in an ugly case? I just use a screen protector and even then am seriously debating doing without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

My dad just took delivery of his vaja case for his iphone 3G.... great case... for me, i use a SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel. I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

can i insert my pay as you go sim card into a iphone 3g? Or do i need a 3g sim card?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The Batman wrote: »
    can i insert my pay as you go sim card into a iphone 3g? Or do i need a 3g sim card?
    You can insert your payg sim and it should be fine. Most O2 sim cards will have 3g written on them and so will work on 3g, but as there is no payg data option at present, the cost of the data is crazy. There should be a payg option for iPhone shortly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

CivilEx wrote: »
    You can insert your payg sim and it should be fine. Most O2 sim cards will have 3g written on them and so will work on 3g, but as there is no payg data option at present, the cost of the data is crazy. There should be a payg option for iPhone shortly though.

I was pretty sure you couldnt just pop any sim you wanted into a 3G iphone, even if it is from the same network?

Am I worng?

And on that thinking could you not just get an iphone from the uk and put an Irish o2 sim in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Because O2 Ireland is not the same as O2 UK. They're in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

So you can put a irish 02 PAYG sim into an irish 3G iphone and it will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can't see why not. Unless O2 are locking the SIM cards using the 3 spare locks on the SIM card.

I'd say the iPhones are locked to the network, not a particular type of sim (e.g. Pay as you Go Sims, Pay Monthly Sims)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

For people looking for stock of iphones, O2 in dunrum shopping centre have plenty of 8GB in stock. My Brother got his there today, no 16's though. Just thought i'd let peeps know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Unless you are using the internet and have mobile data package I don't see the point of PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

BostonB wrote: »
    Unless you are using the internet and have mobile data package I don't see the point of PAYG.

About for students and minors who don't want to or can't get onto billpay. It's more advantageous as it helps control what you spend as you can't go over what you've topped up......it's a pretty big market for the iPhone and I'm not surprised o2 are making this move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

johnk123 wrote: »
    For people looking for stock of iphones, O2 in dunrum shopping centre have plenty of 8GB in stock. My Brother got his there today, no 16's though. Just thought i'd let peeps know

Keep the stock locations coming. Thanks

Any speculation on how long before the 32Gb is announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    About for students and minors who don't want to or can't get onto billpay. It's more advantageous as it helps control what you spend as you can't go over what you've topped up......it's a pretty big market for the iPhone and I'm not surprised o2 are making this move

But they are making this move aren't they? :D The iPhone is due for release on payg shortly according to siliconrepublic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

My Brit O2 iPhone is going back first thing on Monday morning.......got me an unlocked Italian PAYG tonight on TIM. Days, happy, here, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Victor_M wrote: »
    Keep the stock locations coming. Thanks

September 9th. Apple are holding an event which is supposed to be iPod focused. If it isn't announced here it won't be till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

culabula wrote: »
    My Brit O2 iPhone is going back first thing on Monday morning.......got me an unlocked Italian PAYG tonight on TIM. Days, happy, here, again.

Where did you get the Italian PAYG phone? Can it be ordered online?

Thanks,
    Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Victor_M wrote: »

I very much doubt a 32GB iPhone will be announced at the September 9th event - iPods only. That would be too close to launch and would piss off a lot of iPhone 3G customers.

With the 1st gen, it was released in June 2007 (4 and 8GB) and the 16GB was not released until late January/early February of 2008 - a good six months later. My guess is there'll be a similar release window for the 32GB variation of the 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OCD wrote: »

why would it re-download it everytime you opened it? makes no sense whatsoever. what might be happening is that you are not fully downloading it in the first place and then everytime you open it you are getting the little rotating symbol '*' trying to download a little piece of it each time. how big is the file?

After initially dowloading the file it was available immediately anytime I went into my emails. But after restarting my iPhone (forced to due to crashing) I had to redownload it from new. Does this mean it was only saved in the cache? If so IMO that's pretty ridiculous, data consuming and near impossible if not in constant 3g reception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

It only saves in cache and it is very silly. Its like Apple and the operators have decided to make sure your iphone is online and using data as much as possible ;).

My wife has an iphone and has tried to use it as a business phone but gave up. Roaming, even in Europe (never mind in the U.S.) meant that she was paying huge data chages to access stuff that she could (on another phone) keep on the handset.
    After initially dowloading the file it was available immediately anytime I went into my emails. But after restarting my iPhone (forced to due to crashing) I had to redownload it from new. Does this mean it was only saved in the cache? If so IMO that's pretty ridiculous, data consuming and near impossible if not in constant 3g reception

elderlemon wrote: »
    It only saves in cache and it is very silly. Its like Apple and the operators have decided to make sure your iphone is online and using data as much as possible ;).

My wife has an iphone and has tried to use it as a business phone but gave up. Roaming, even in Europe (never mind in the U.S.) meant that she was paying huge data chages to access stuff that she could (on another phone) keep on the handset.
    Does anyone know any way around this. Surely it has to be possible to access the internal memory on the phone, otherwise what is all that memory for, just music. I tried that application MobileFinder but it turns out that its just for jailbroken phones. This is really frustrating me lately, I love the phone but this might just be a deal breaker.

Does Jailbreaking the phone invalidate the warranty? I read it online that it might cause problems with future updates. What are the major benefits of jailbreaking the phone? Where can I get it done? Can it be done online or is it an instore thing? If so, where can I get it done and roughly how much should it cost?

Sorry for all the questions being a total noob to Apple software and being really frustrated have made me all a bit too eager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

JBoyle4eva wrote: »

I wonder about the logic of controling your spending then buying an expensive phone, with easy access to the web and expensive data charges. On a regular phone which isn't expensive, PAYG finite limit makes more sense.

I like the idea of no 18 month contract and also I can pick a different tariff. Like the unlimited to O2 and a data bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Does anyone know any way around this. Surely it has to be possible to access the internal memory on the phone, otherwise what is all that memory for, just music. I tried that application MobileFinder but it turns out that its just for jailbroken phones. This is really frustrating me lately, I love the phone but this might just be a deal breaker.

Does Jailbreaking the phone invalidate the warranty? I read it online that it might cause problems with future updates. What are the major benefits of jailbreaking the phone? Where can I get it done? Can it be done online or is it an instore thing? If so, where can I get it done and roughly how much should it cost?

Sorry for all the questions being a total noob to Apple software and being really frustrated have made me all a bit too eager!

MobileFinder isn't just for jailbroken iPhones. You can get it from the App Store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286746714&mt=8

mobius42 wrote: »
    MobileFinder isn't just for jailbroken iPhones. You can get it from the App Store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286746714&mt=8
    well that answers a lot of questions. I have it downloaded but i obviously am not using it right. I was hoping that when I did this that I'd be able to view the folders on the phone as ya can with most phones. ie as an additional external hard drive. I also d/l'd iPhoneBrowser and whilst I can see folders on there I can't see the ones that are on MobileFinder. any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

I am interested in the 16GB iphone. I currently have a 30gb ipod - does anyone know if my existing car connections will work with an iphone?

1) Parrot car kit (I think it's a CK3100)
    2) dock connection in the glove compartment that is hooked up to the stereo for playing music

Has anyone used an iphone with similar connections?

Thanks.....

radiofoot wrote: »
    I am interested in the 16GB iphone. I currently have a 30gb ipod - does anyone know if my existing car connections will work with an iphone?

1) Parrot car kit (I think it's a CK3100)
    2) dock connection in the glove compartment that is hooked up to the stereo for playing music

Has anyone used an iphone with similar connections?

Thanks.....

I have a Pioneer setup similar to what you mentioned. It has an iPod dock connector in the glove compartment. It was designed for a 4G iPod, but works fine with my iPhone. The only thing I've noticed is that the iPhone gets a bit hot when it's plugged in a while, but maybe that's just my one. Don't know anything about the car kit though.

well that answers a lot of questions. I have it downloaded but i obviously am not using it right. I was hoping that when I did this that I'd be able to view the folders on the phone as ya can with most phones. ie as an additional external hard drive. I also d/l'd iPhoneBrowser and whilst I can see folders on there I can't see the ones that are on MobileFinder. any tips
    Visit their website for instructions on how to transfer your files over: http://www.pixiotech.com/Site/MobileFinder.html
    Due to the limitations of the iPhone SDK, it's not as simple as transferring files to and from a flash drive, but it's not that difficult to set up.
    There is also a rumor that Apple will be enabling file storage and access on the iPhone themselves, possibly as soon as next Tuesday, so keep a look out for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

All working no problem,

iphone 3g - o2 ireland
    yessim client 1.8 with final iphone firmware version.

Im using the isp.vodafone.ie settings with the 1gb promo, but i have tryed the proxy too and it works great.

I tried a few diffrent sim solutions but this is the best by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Has anyone used a factory unlocked iPhone on three? I am tempted to buy one on ebay. Just looking for some feedback as to whether there are any problems with it?

Thanks,
    Randomer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement