Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Random wrote: »
    Some people aren't getting the text directing them to the O2 website to check their MMS. It's a known issue O2 are working on.

Well its the way its meant to work, in theory. Thats not a fault of the iPhone but the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They apparently have some workarounds in process? Mention of it here on the O2 Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nava wrote: »
    Looks like new version of Itunes is available online, is Itunes 8 is only the Itunes software not upgrades to the phone.

Read back. 2.1 was released for the iPod Touch. It's being released for the iPhone on Friday. I guess they learned their lesson last time releasing everything on the same day!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In terms of MMS why doesn't O2 make it possible to send MMS via the internet. Why can't they sey up a webpage capable of sending messages like their webtext facility but with the ability to send photos. They could charge you the standard MMS rate and they'd make some money off of it. Or is that too simple an idea for O2 to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

can you sand pics on the iphone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

xbox36016 wrote: »
    Only via email, to an email recipient (as alluded to numerous times in the last few pages).

You can't send or receive via MMS. If someone sends me an MMS message, I get a text prompt to open a page on the O2 site in Safari that displays a low res version of the image.

Dades wrote: »
    If someone sends me an MMS message, I get a text prompt to open a page on the O2 site in Safari that displays a low res version of the image.

The picture itself is low res not the version you see. Its low res because they need it to be to make sendable from other phones. this isn't an iPhone fault but rather a network limit. Only difference n iPhone is that screen is so clear that it shows up the low res that usually can't be spotted on lower res, smaller screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Just found a nice app for free Air Sharing

Is that another wifi only file share set up?

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

can someone tell me, if there is a wifi signal, do downloads and internet access automatically go through the wifi connection or do you have to specify it somehow so that your data allowance isn't used?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of an application/Programme that can be viewed on my iPhone like AirSharing/MobileFinder etc but can be viewed from my comp (windows) without wifi like DiskAid/iPhoneBrowser.???

LFCFan wrote: »
    can someone tell me, if there is a wifi signal, do downloads and internet access automatically go through the wifi connection or do you have to specify it somehow so that your data allowance isn't used?
    No they don't you have to be prompted to join the wifi and then accepted by wifi before browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Firmware/Software update 2.1 is being released this friday by Apple. It is claimed it will fix a lot of the issues such as backup times, syncing times and battery life together with calls being dropped etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Has anyone gotten an iPhone in Italy?

I'm going to Rome the weekend after next, so I'm trying to find out if the shops over there are generally stocked with black 16GB models.

They come unlocked over there, so it'd be great to pick one up on prepaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

carrotcake wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten an iPhone in Italy?

I'm going to Rome the weekend after next, so I'm trying to find out if the shops over there are generally stocked with black 16GB models.

They come unlocked over there, so it'd be great to pick one up on prepaid.

The 16Gb is E499, you have to show an Italian passport in most places to get it for this price, I read on a blog that some guy got one without a passport but had to slip the person in the shop 20 euro. The blog escapes me right now.

You could maybe ask someone in your hotel to get you one......or if you know someone living there.

From what I read the phones are indeed unlocked to ALL networks, not just the ones in Italy.

Thanks for the info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 shows which carriers lock their phones, and which don't. Pretty handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

hey guys i'm debating whether or not to get an iphone, my n95 has has come
    back from repair deemed as liquid damage! bad times!!

any how i'm just wondering is there ant point in buying a iphone sim free?
    i like to use the internet on my phone to check sports & gmail when im out and about. i am on the vodafone network so i am right i thinking i wont be able to get online except for wifi??

also has anyone ordered or come accross this site, they are based in itlay

http://www.iphone3g-free-sim.co.cc/HOME.html

thanks for reading guys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »

There is no mms on the Iphone...Very dissapointing for a phone that is hyped up so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

callaway92 wrote: »
    There is no mms on the Iphone...Very dissapointing for a phone that is hyped up so much
    you dont have one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah I really mis not being able to see small badly pixulated images via text, luckily I can send and receive full photos via email...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Just connected my phone to itunes and it told me there was an update available for the carrier settings.

Downloaded it but don't have a clue what it did!

Anyone else get this update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Halfa

Hi All

Been overseas for 12 months and am coming home soon. I have an unlocked 3g iphone. Was thinking of going with 3 Network. Has anyone any experience using the iPhone on that network?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

hey guys i'm debating whether or not to get an iphone, my n95 has has come
    back from repair deemed as liquid damage! bad times!!

any how i'm just wondering is there ant point in buying a iphone sim free?
    i like to use the internet on my phone to check sports & gmail when im out and about. i am on the vodafone network so i am right i thinking i wont be able to get online except for wifi??

also has anyone ordered or come accross this site, they are based in itlay

http://www.iphone3g-free-sim.co.cc/HOME.html

thanks for reading guys

I'm wondering the same thing about whether it's good without a SIM. I'm based in Germany at the moment, but I have no idea how long I'll live here. Maybe a few months, maybe another year, I dunno. So basically it means I don't want to sign up to any packages because I can't commit to the long term.

So how restrictive is it when you can only use it via wifi?

Also, how usable is it for emailing and so on? I was originally thinking of getting an Acer One that I could take with me if I was going travelling, but then I thought an iphone would be better as they would both require a wifi connection anyway.

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same thing about whether it's good without a SIM. I'm based in Germany at the moment, but I have no idea how long I'll live here. Maybe a few months, maybe another year, I dunno. So basically it means I don't want to sign up to any packages because I can't commit to the long term.

So how restrictive is it when you can only use it via wifi?

Also, how usable is it for emailing and so on? I was originally thinking of getting an Acer One that I could take with me if I was going travelling, but then I thought an iphone would be better as they would both require a wifi connection anyway.

What you can do is sign up to O2 Genion S without buying a phone, which has no minimum contract length. Then add on an "Internet Pack" e.g. this one, which has a three month contract term.

That's what I'm gonna do since I might not be in Germany for the next two years

efb wrote: »
    Yeah I really mis not being able to see small badly pixulated images via text, luckily I can send and receive full photos via email...:rolleyes:
    You can't attach pictures to emails. So yes it is very ****ty in general

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

You can't attach pictures to emails. So yes it is very ****ty in general

Yes, you can

krinpit wrote: »
    Yes, you can
    Only by going into photos first. why can't ya attach them to an email from the email app.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Browse to the photo you want to attach. Press the little "Forward" icon on the bottom left of your screen and choose "email photo"

krinpit wrote: »
    Browse to the photo you want to attach. Press the little "Forward" icon on the bottom left of your screen and choose "email photo"
    Sorry I only thought of that after I posted. But as per my editted post. Why do Apple make the iPhone without so many simple little things that can make it so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just connected my phone to itunes and it told me there was an update available for the carrier settings.

Downloaded it but don't have a clue what it did!

Anyone else get this update?

I had a look at the carrier settings file that was updated. They enabled the option to change the mobile network data settings and changed the url for the o2.ie link in the phone menu to www.o2.ie/iphonestart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement