Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Does anyone know of an application for the iPhone 3G which can check commodity prices like oil & gold, in the same way as say the Stocks application can check index prices?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why do Apple make the iPhone without so many simple little things that can make it so much better.
    I agree - for all the great stuff you'd wonder why you can't do relatively simple tasks...

I find it a real pain not being able to highlight and cut/paste text. In email as well as on the web in Boards or wherever. That possible in a future firmware fix I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Sorry if this has already been answered....any shops have the 16Gb in stock at all? I'm hoping to get one of these tomorrow or Saturday.

Regardless, I'll update this thread if I manage to source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

try 02 in Naas, they had some the other day.
    Ring them 1st though they open at 9:30 most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I am over in England at the mo, spoke to peopke in the apple store, O2 and CPW................they all say they have too many iphones.....more than enough and demand has dropped off.

Makes me thing O2/apple are holding back in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Dades wrote: »
    I agree - for all the great stuff you'd wonder why you can't do relatively simple tasks...

I find it a real pain not being able to highlight and cut/paste text. In email as well as on the web in Boards or wherever. That possible in a future firmware fix I wonder?

I was wondering the same thing, is there a hardware reason that MMS and cut/paste isn't available or can this be implemented via a software update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Isn't there a firmware update out today?

What time are they usually release at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Isn't there a firmware update out today?

What time are they usually release at?

Last time was late afternoon/evening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The_Edge wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been answered....any shops have the 16Gb in stock at all? I'm hoping to get one of these tomorrow or Saturday.

Regardless, I'll update this thread if I manage to source one.
    Well according to a girl in Carphone Warehouse that I was just speaking to the store in Letterkenny is the only place that has a 16 gig in stock and only one at that. I'm looking to get one myself but I'd prefer the 16 gig too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap have a iphone 16gb its the bast phone evar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

A lot of people have posted here about how it's a good phone or a mediocre phone etc.

My question is, is the iPhone the best iPod or even portable music player out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

xbox36016 wrote: »
    yap have a iphone 16gb its the bast phone evar
    I remember when I thought that too in the first week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

it is the bast ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

silvine wrote: »
    A lot of people have posted here about how it's a good phone or a mediocre phone etc.

My question is, is the iPhone the best iPod or even portable music player out there?
    It depends. I myself think the sony eriksson phones are better music players because they transfer songs so quickly and also plays more than one music file type. But if you have an iPod and all your music in Apple approved file type already then it probably is a better player

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Do you think there's a chance o2 are holding back a lot of iPhones because their network can't handle the massive increase in data transfers that would happen if everyone that wanted one got and iPhone at the same time?

A conspiracy theory? I like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

2.1 is out. I tried to update my iphone and I got an error (6) and the phone is now in recovery mode, tried the update again and same thing. So I'm now restoring it to 2.0.2. Not sure whether to upgrade to 2.1 now or wait?? :mad:

O2 on Grafton Street have some of the 16GB. Called in earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It would depend on how you define best. Highest capacity, Best SQ, Best UI, most features, smallest, best battery life etc. It certainly wouldn't be the best in every area, either amongst other iPods and definitely not against other MP3 players. Its still very good at most of the things its does. Its the best mobile Internet though.

Stephen P wrote: »
    2.1 is out. I tried to update my iphone and I got an error (6) and the phone is now in recovery mode, tried the update again and same thing. So I'm now restoring it to 2.0.2. Not sure whether to upgrade to 2.1 now or wait?? :mad:
    Seemed to work fine for me. Did you upgrade to iTunes 8?
    I had to before I could do the iPhone update.

This is what it's supposed to fix:
    iPhone 2.1 Software Update

iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
    • decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
    • significantly improved battery life for most users
    • dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
    • improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
    • faster installation of 3rd party applications
    • fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
    • improved performance in text messaging
    • faster loading and searching of contacts
    • improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
    • repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
    • option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
    • Genius playlist creation
    I'll reserve judgment for the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

O2 on Grafton Street have some of the 16GB. Called in earlier today.

Good man! Do you know what time they close at?
    In work until 7pm :mad:

I was in there at 2.30. Not sure if it's the black one though. I was tempted to buy it there and then but I've another month left with Three. It's the just reopened O2 shop about mid-way down Grafton Street, on the left, if you are walking from the Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

that's a 237MB patch and that's all it does? Where's copy and paste? where's forwarding texts?!?! c'mon apple. :confused:

Dades wrote: »
    Seemed to work fine for me. Did you upgrade to iTunes 8?
    I had to before I could do the iPhone update.

This is what it's supposed to fix:

I'll reserve judgment for the moment!

I have iTunes 8. The phone is just finishing restoring to 2.0.2 with all my data syncing. I'm not sure if I should upgrade yet, might try it again after. There doesn't seem to be much included in the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I'm finding an improvement on 3G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Installed iPhone firmware 2.1 and been playing with it for a few hours. Here are my preliminary observations:

- 3G signal appears to be improved, however I'm still reserving judgement on this until after a few days usage. Signal bars are showing improvement but doesn't necessary mean signal is improved or more stable

- 3G and Edge icons are a little different than before (minor)

- Backups are extremely quick with the exception of the first backup after installing 2.1

- Loading Contacts is instantaneous now - the way it should be!

- Security issues now addressed. The iPhone also has the option (off by default) of erasing all data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

- Crashing of Apps appears to be fixed. No Apps have crashed so far so fingers crossed.

- Support for Genius Playlists, however you need to install iTunes 8.0 to enable this.

Overall, OS finally feels a lot more stable and snappy to use as it should have been in the first place. No doubt issues will be found but so far it's the best firmware update for the iPhone

My EirText app is now crashing after the update!

The one bastard app I use all the time! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Installed iPhone firmware 2.1 and been playing with it for a few hours. Here are my preliminary observations:

- 3G signal appears to be improved, however I'm still reserving judgement on this until after a few days usage. Signal bars are showing improvement but doesn't necessary mean signal is improved or more stable

- 3G and Edge icons are a little different than before (minor)

- Backups are extremely quick with the exception of the first backup after installing 2.1

- Loading Contacts is instantaneous now - the way it should be!

- Security issues now addressed. The iPhone also has the option (off by default) of erasing all data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

- Crashing of Apps appears to be fixed. No Apps have crashed so far so fingers crossed.

- Support for Genius Playlists, however you need to install iTunes 8.0 to enable this.

Overall, OS finally feels a lot more stable and snappy to use as it should have been in the first place. No doubt issues will be found but so far it's the best firmware update for the iPhone

Nice little Mini review there, thanks for taking the time.

Tried the update again and got the error "The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)"
    Sh!t. I'm going to try the update on my gf's macbook and see if it works.

• Advertisement

Is there an app for recording phone conversations, jailbroken or otherwise? If not could I connect the iphone to a dictaphone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement