Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

ive discovered why O2 make you pay for your voicemail on the iPhone.

When you dont hang up (its easy for the press of the end call button to be ignored by the iPhone touch screen) its very hard to see that the call is still active.
    So you put the phone in your pocket and there you go. You use up all your minutes while its in your pocket. Voicemail should automatically hang up when all messages are heard and you dont inout anything for about 30 secs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

This covers both the 3G and First-Gen iPhones, but a Carrier update was released for the iPhone (this might have been a few weeks ago, as I dont connect my iPhone to the computer that often), and since the update the "Cellular Data Network" menu option is now visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

geting it now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

First gen o2 irl iPhone. Updated to 2.1, was having problem with lag and google maps crashing when starting up. Now iPhone is just showing a lovely black screen with the apple logo. Have held down the buttons to reset and just leaves me in the same place. Battery also being very hot. Something tells me this update might not be for everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Do O2 shops take faulty iphone's off you to send off for repair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

Only if it is a genuine o2 Irish iPhone thay and carphone warehouse can. Takes about a week if its the same as the first gen. It can be sent back throught the apple website also, but would prefer to leave it up to a shop where i got it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Bought it through CPW just over a month ago. I'll drop it up to them over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

did the update. its well worth it just because it stops the delays using the whole phone part (i.e. contacts appear when ye press contacts and not 5 seconds later, sms screen appears a bit faster too).

looks like its still jail broken too

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Installed iPhone firmware 2.1 and been playing with it for a few hours. Here are my preliminary observations:

- 3G signal appears to be improved, however I'm still reserving judgement on this until after a few days usage. Signal bars are showing improvement but doesn't necessary mean signal is improved or more stable

- 3G and Edge icons are a little different than before (minor)

- Backups are extremely quick with the exception of the first backup after installing 2.1

- Loading Contacts is instantaneous now - the way it should be!

- Security issues now addressed. The iPhone also has the option (off by default) of erasing all data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

- Crashing of Apps appears to be fixed. No Apps have crashed so far so fingers crossed.

- Support for Genius Playlists, however you need to install iTunes 8.0 to enable this.

Overall, OS finally feels a lot more stable and snappy to use as it should have been in the first place. No doubt issues will be found but so far it's the best firmware update for the iPhone

seeing pretty much the same as this, have 5 bars of 3G showing whereas before had 2-3. This could be just a change in indication, but do seem to be having apparently quicker web access. iphonespeedtest still showing about the same downloads at 0.8Mbps, but because the phone thinks it has a full signal I don't seem to be having the lag moving between web pages etc while it double checks it still has 3G.

Otherwise everything seems speedier, still a little lag getting into contacts for me, 2 secs or so. Once in it is fine. Do have a lot of contacts in there though.

Possibly a little faster to lock a location with gps also, but could be imagining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No difference in 3G in my house. Still zero to 1 bar. Have full coverage outside. Guess it just doesn't like my house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Since the update today my gps is locating me just north of alaska. Funny really because it's not even that cold here in Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

looks like its still jail broken too
    Actually it's not still jail broken really. All the apps i downloaded are still there alright but cydia, bossprefs and maybe couple of others are gone. Can still copy apps on to it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ok I have pretty much decided to get an iphone, and would really appreciate help with some questions I have...

1. I am living in Germany at the moment, but I don't know for how long so I would not be buying the phone as part of a package from a network. Considering this, where would be the best place to get one? Ebay? Somewhere better?

2. Is there a particular model I should be going for and how much should it be?

3. I've seeen a few people say they have needed to return it to O2. If mine is from an ebay seller and is faulty I won't have any way of getting it fixed right?

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

Eirtext not working with new iphone update......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Cianos wrote: »
    Ok I have pretty much decided to get an iphone, and would really appreciate help with some questions I have...

1. I am living in Germany at the moment, but I don't know for how long so I would not be buying the phone as part of a package from a network. Considering this, where would be the best place to get one? Ebay? Somewhere better?

2. Is there a particular model I should be going for and how much should it be?

3. I've seeen a few people say they have needed to return it to O2. If mine is from an ebay seller and is faulty I won't have any way of getting it fixed right?

Thanks for any help!
    eBay is probably the best place to get one. Make sure to get one that is unlocked "ab Werk" (from the factory). In other words it was never locked in the first place.

Many auctions on German eBay claim that the phone is unlocked when it's not - they mean that you can put any SIM card in there as long as you use Turbo SIM or similar. However, I read on another auction (I can't say if it's true) that you can't use 3G with Turbo SIMs.

Any iPhone that comes from Italy will be unlocked since they don't lock them over there, so keep that in mind. Italian eBay may also be worth a look.

On German eBay you can get a 16GB model that's unlocked from the factory for just under €700. I've seen others go for over €800. Usually from sellers who pay for more prominent advertising.

Most auctions will say that the phone comes with the original receipt (Rechnung), so watch out for that. Just how useful an Italian receipt is when you're in Germany, I do not know, but worth having I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

carrotcake wrote: »
    eBay is probably the best place to get one. Make sure to get one that is unlocked "ab Werk" (from the factory). In other words it was never locked in the first place.

Many auctions on German eBay claim that the phone is unlocked when it's not - they mean that you can put any SIM card in there as long as you use Turbo SIM or similar. However, I read on another auction (I can't say if it's true) that you can't use 3G with Turbo SIMs.

Any iPhone that comes from Italy will be unlocked since they don't lock them over there, so keep that in mind. Italian eBay may also be worth a look.

On German eBay you can get a 16GB model that's unlocked from the factory for just under €700. I've seen others go for over €800. Usually from sellers who pay for more prominent advertising.

Most auctions will say that the phone comes with the original receipt (Rechnung), so watch out for that. Just how useful an Italian receipt is when you're in Germany, I do not know, but worth having I'm sure.

Thanks very much for the answers. Those prices sound quite high. I was looking through ebay.ie and there are a couple of ones listed there for less than 600. I also don't speak German so it could be a bit dodge for me buying from ebay.de

What's the story with the unlocking? Will I be paying more for an unlocked phone, is it worth it or should I just unlock the phone myself?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Unfortunately nobody's found out how to unlock the iPhone 3G yet, so that limits your options a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Netshare isn't working with 2.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭simonxxx

iPhone 3G
    Pay & Go Pay & Go coming 16th September.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

After weeks of looking to get a 16 gig iPhone I went into an O2 Store the other day and they had some in stock but when they checked my details on the system they said I'm not available for an upgrade so I couldn't get one. The girl told me that I'd have to ring 1909 customer service to find out when an upgrade would be available.

I finally got through to them today and was told that all upgrades on the O2 network were suspended until further notice. So I asked the guy when I was out of contract with them and he said that I was.
    I then asked how I was supposed to get the iPhone and the guy told me that I should just switch over to PAYG in an O2 Store and then switch back to a contract so I could get the iPhone, but he then told me he wasn't too sure if I could actually do that but if I held on he'd check with his supervisor.
    After waiting for him to check he finally got back to me and told me that there was a catch switching over to PAYG because I would have to wait for 12 weeks to switch back over to contract.

This seems absolutely ridiculous and seems that the iPhone is only available to new customers switching over to O2, and the guy from O2 actually agreed with me.

I really don't think I'm meant to get an iPhone, the amount of running around I've done so far is ridiculous and still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I really don't think I'm meant to get an iPhone, the amount of running around I've done so far is ridiculous and still nothing.

It's not all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I remember when I thought that too in the first week
    grizzly wrote: »
    It's not all that.

Can either of you expand? Im waiting for stocks to replenish before i start driving from store to store like everyone else seems to be and want it because of the ipod feature but mainly the mobile browser, it looks great.

But if i have to have it for 18 months i need to think about this properly first. Would you have any advice as to why you think 'its not all that' after owning it for some time? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

does anyone here have the email working with ireland.com and if so can they post the settings,many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Updated to 2.1 yesterday and have limited to no internet connectivity.
    -

Ok anyone having trouble with this, a restore on the phone seems to fix it!
    There seems to be a lot of people with the same problem on the o2 forums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

tried the restore myself and nothing is happening. internet connectivity is gone since 2.1. I'm bringing it in tomorrow.

grizzly wrote: »
    It's not all that.
    Yeah I understand it has it's faults but it's just a case of when you get an idea into your head....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

BaZmO* wrote: »
    After weeks of looking to get a 16 gig iPhone I went into an O2 Store the other day and they had some in stock but when they checked my details on the system they said I'm not available for an upgrade so I couldn't get one. The girl told me that I'd have to ring 1909 customer service to find out when an upgrade would be available.

Same situation for me. My upgrade is gone since O2 changed their conditions on 8th September.
    So you are saying that you can't buy an iPhone even if you are not now entitled to an upgrade? That makes no sense as you are an existing customer.

ongarite wrote: »
    So you are saying that you can't buy an iPhone even if you are not now entitled to an upgrade? That makes no sense as you are an existing customer.
    Yeah I said that to the guy and he said, "Yes it does look like we a being biased against existing customers"

Ehh, it doesn't "look like it" That IS the case. He just kinda embarrassingly laughed when I said that and said that they are working on it and to check the O2 site for any updates of changes. :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned earlier that O2 might be holding back on the distribution of iphones due to network overload problems. It's starting to lok like that may be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

no the 2.1 is working so good for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

noblestee wrote: »
    Can either of you expand? Im waiting for stocks to replenish before i start driving from store to store like everyone else seems to be and want it because of the ipod feature but mainly the mobile browser, it looks great.

But if i have to have it for 18 months i need to think about this properly first. Would you have any advice as to why you think 'its not all that' after owning it for some time? thanks

I wrote my review of it a few pages back if ya wanna have a read. Although it's a great phone and gadget it has more bad things than good things. Maybe that's why o2 insist on an 18 month contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement